Cookies used in this website are gluten free, wheat free and dairy free. By using this website you agree to our use of cookies. More Info
Guest
Login Below
Join Us On Social Media!
   
Get The Model Boats App!
Apple App Store
Android app on Google Play


Help Support This Website
£
or enter custom amount

(Non Contributor)

Help support this free
website and donate.



£285 a year is needed to keep the website and apps online. Please consider donating £5 or more to help towards these fees.
All donations are securely managed through PayPal. Amounts donated are not published online.

Many thanks for your kind support.

Model Boats Website Team


Donation History
September 2018: 11 people
August 2018: 5 people
July 2018: 8 people
June 2018: 8 people
May 2018: 7 people
April 2018: 24 people
March 2018: 13 people
February 2018: 8 people
January 2018: 16 people


Unique Visitors This Month

Website Members

Terms and Conditions
Privacy Policy
Advertising
Contact


Model Boats Website
Active Users (8)
Login or Register
To Remove This Ad

Login or Register
To Remove This Ad
>> Home > Boat Building Blogs > Pilot Boat
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/45686
Pilot Boat Print Booklet
Author: MouldBuilder   Posts: 1   Photos: 7   Subscribers: 2   Views: 194   Responses: 13   |   Most recent posts shown first   (Show oldest first)

mdlbt.com/45687
Pilot Boat - Posted: 2nd Sep 2018
Winter approaches again so what better than a new project,.......to go along with the other two yet to be completed. I have excuses. Honest!!
This new one is a bit different again. No wood at all this time. It is the Aero-naut Pilot Boat. I thought it didn`t look too much of a task but I think I will have to re-assess as it is tricky in parts.
I have assembled the hull frame, which although the parts are rather loose fitting until glued went ok. I have, however, stumbled slightly on the next stage, to fit the hull skins.
The instructions suggest to cellotape them in place prior to glueing. Not as easy as it sounds as considerable bending of the parts is required to get them to fit, too much for the tape. Does anybody know of an easier approach please. The ABS is extremely difficult to hold in position when trying to tape it, which incidently, does not hold anyway. Should I warm up the skins or will this distort them and give a rippled finish. Any help here would be appreciated.🤓
I will continue with the refurbishment of the Patrol Torpedo Boat for now as I have been trying to manipulate the sides of the Pilot boat into place for hours, no, days!!.😡😤

Attached Photos - Click To View Large

Response by MouldBuilder on the 4th Sep 2018
Hi Mike.
The bulkheads are all slotted as is the keel. The front of the keel is also located in a slot in the base board and so therefore all of the bulkheads are automatically held square in both directions. It has been glued and on a trial run, the skins fit well. I have been as careful as possible. The manufacturer has thought about assembly. The jig is not card. It is a strong sheet of 3mm Depron. If you see the picture above, you can see the slots for the bulkheads and the centre front slot for the keel. It does seem to keep everything in place very well.😊
I am going to try to fit the skins tomorrow. I wll report back if I don`t do myself an injury trying.🤓
Response by mturpin013 on the 5th Sep 2018
Thanks for that explanation looking forward to seeing the skins ,I hope it goes well
Response by MouldBuilder on the 9th Sep 2018
Wednesday did not go too well. I used a new method to hold the skins in shape but could not line them up as I would like with the stringers. The keel also looked a little up and down which was going to hinder the fitting of the bottom skins. I made the decision to carefully break some of the joints and re-bed the keel in place.
I have broken it up and found a bit of a mystery. I have adjusted the keel which now sits in a much better place. The problem I have found, and possibly the cause of most of my alignment woes, is that the Transom seems to be sitting about 1.5mm low which in turn sets the heel too high (see picture). The stringers seem to agree with this as when I put a straight edge along them the last joint seems to drop. I will reset the Transom in line with the keel which in turn will lift its feet above the jig. I cannot explain why this is but I think my plan will solve the problem. I just hope that I am not adding to the problems later on. I cannot see why this should be. I thought it might be my baseboard not being flat, so I rotated the model 180 degrees on the board with the same result. I will try again to set the model in alignment and hope that the skins fit better. All of the evidence points to this being the source of my problems. We will see.😤