• Domain Fees
  • Security Certificates
  • iOS & Android App Fees
  • Website Hosting
  • Fast Servers
  • Data Backups
  • Upkeep & Maintenance
  • Administration Costs

Without your support the website wouldn't be what it is today.

Please consider donating towards these fees to help keep us afloat.

Read more

All donations are securely managed through PayPal. Amounts donated are not published online.

Many thanks for your kind support
  • Join Us On Social Media!
    Model Boats Website
    Model Boats Website
    Home
    Forum
    Build Blogs
    Media Gallery
    Boat Clubs & Lakes
    Events
    Boat Harbour
    How-To Articles
    Plans & Docs
    Useful Links

Followers
    Graupner Elke HF 408
    by AllenA πŸ‡¬πŸ‡§ ( Chief Petty Officer 1st Class)
    πŸ“£

Click To
    Follow
    36 Posts 35 Replies 23 Photos 58 Likes
    ( Newest Posts Shown First )
    AllenA
    Chief Petty Officer 1st Class
    πŸ“ Graupner Elke HF 408
    Flag
    Online: 25 days ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Hi Roy, Mine was a restoration of a wreck I picked up at a bootsale. All the information compiled in the photos I sent was gleaned from online sources. Good Luck with your project Regards Allen
    roycv
    Leading Seaman
    Flag
    Online: 10 days ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Hi AllenA, thank you for the pictures. Were there build instructions with the kit?
    Roy
    AllenA
    Flag
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Hi Roycv, Please click on the following link which will take you to my Amazon file on the Elke. It has plans and instructions etc. Sorry to be slow responding i've been enjoying the caravan while i still can. Regards Allen
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/clouddrive/share/WNr8qLMjcY8nIeoa9x...
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/clouddrive/share/WNr8qLMjcY8nIeoa9xx2mA0Bjhfbt3pCbuWjxCIehX5
    πŸ”—
    roycv
    Leading Seaman
    Flag
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Hello thanks for the response. I have the plans including the dated RC installation. In the Graupner advert for the boat it does refer to build instructions in 3 languages. I made the earlier Condor and that had a booklet on building the boat.
    regards
    Roy
    Tica
    Petty Officer 1st Class
    Flag
    Online: 24 days ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Hi Roy

I fare as i know, this kit comes with 3 sheet plan, and no build instruction other than those 3 sheets.

If it's the sheets you are missing I can provide some photo's of them

Regards
    Carsten
    roycv
    Leading Seaman
    Flag
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Hi Allen do you have a copy of the building instructions still? I have the RC ones. Just bought an unstarted Elke Kit, always wanted one, everything there except the build instructions.
    If you could scan them that would be great otherwise post them and I will copy and send them back and pay for postage etc.
    regards
    Roy
    Dave M
    Vice Admiral
    Flag
    Online: 2 years ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    That is much more like I would have expected. The motor is clearly a 6v version and running over voltage accounted for the previous high readings.
    Hopefully when you get it in the lake the prop will be suitable and the power will be sorted.
    Live long and prosper Dave
    RNinMunich
    Fleet Admiral
    Flag
    Online: 5 hours ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Good stuff AllenπŸ‘
    Look forward to the sea trial report; design speed etc.
    >>>>> odd that works but if you type 'less than' symbol it and everything after it vanish on posting! Weird 😲
    Young at heart πŸ˜‰ Slightly older in other places.;-/ Cheers Doug
    AllenA
    Flag
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Problem solved for the moment with insertion of correct battery. Battery arrived this morning, ordered yesterday... great service! Power Sonic PS 630 ST 6v 3.4Ah Β£7.75. Readings (average) 6.05V, less than 1.7 amps, less than 10 watts. Will update after maiden voyage. Thanks again for all your help. ps site does not appear to support less than symbol.
    Dave M
    Vice Admiral
    Flag
    Online: 2 years ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Hi Allen
    Mabuchi no longer list details of your motor and as it is from an ex flyer chances are it has been cooked at some time in its life.
    I agree it is not easy to check for shorts but a reasonable meter will show any major problems.
    Your battery sounds fine.

Pitch is often marked on the props near the boss but an explanation I have seen on the web:
    Pitch: theoretical distance the prop travels on each rotation. This is theoretical because water is not a solid medium and the prop slips. 10 to 30% is normal, the lower numbers are found only on hi-performance props, specially prepared.
    Constant Pitch: the pitch is the same across the entire propeller's working surface, or blade face.
    Progressive Pitch: the pitch is lower at the leading edge and increases progressively along the trailing edge.

Consider a prop that runs in a liquid media with a constant pitch, the tip of the prop rotates faster than the hub. Conversely, if the angle at the tip is lower, the water speed on all prop surfaces will be the same. in this case, the performance is far better. Progressive pitch props offer better planning performance.

So if you were to get some graph paper or paper with 1mm markings and set the prop on a shaft over the paper and measure the start point then rotate thro 360deg and measure the finish point this will give you the theoretical pitch.

Over the years I have amassed a fair number of props and usually try various before I decide on the best for the model.

Try what you have with the 6v battery (looks just right for the model) and see how it sails.
    From experience I know that this type of model is difficult to get going and all our club models have coarse pitch brass props. Speed will depend on the motor but with a geared motor you should be able to reduce the revs to give scale speed.

I look forward to hearing how you progress in a couple of weeks.
    Live long and prosper Dave
    Show 26 More Posts

About This Website
    Terms of Service
    Privacy Policy
    Cookies used in this website are gluten free, wheat free and dairy free. By using this website you agree to our use of cookies. More Info