• Domain Fees
  • Security Certificates
  • iOS & Android App Fees
  • Website Hosting
  • Fast Servers
  • Data Backups
  • Upkeep & Maintenance
  • Administration Costs

Without your support the website wouldn't be what it is today.

Please consider donating towards these fees to help keep us afloat.

Read more

All donations are securely managed through PayPal. Amounts donated are not published online.

Many thanks for your kind support
  • Join Us On Social Media!
    Model Boats Website
    Model Boats Website
    Home
    Forum
    Build Blogs
    Media Gallery
    Boat Clubs & Lakes
    Events
    Boat Harbour
    How-To Articles
    Plans & Docs
    Useful Links

Followers
    Graupner Elke HF 408
    by AllenA ๐Ÿ‡ฌ๐Ÿ‡ง ( Chief Petty Officer 1st Class)
    ๐Ÿ“ฃ

Click To
    Follow
    52 Posts 51 Replies 35 Photos 85 Likes
    ( Newest Posts Shown First )
    roycv
    Petty Officer 2nd Class
    ๐Ÿ“ Graupner Elke HF 408
    Flag
    Online: 12 hours ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Hello Tica I see I have not replied to your kind upload of the building instructions. I apologise for my lateness. I managed to print off everything I needed and the printouts are held safely in the kit box.

It is nice to find help when you need it so thanks again.

Best regards

Roy
    roycv
    Petty Officer 2nd Class
    Flag
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Hi, I have been reading the beginning of this thread, albeit now 3 years back but most interesting on the motor choice discussion.

My Elke kit which is still as dispatched from Graupner, and during its life it has gained a 280 motor. I mostly have low powered model boats and these days many of the esc's have an overload cut out. So at the bottom end as I am re current consumption I have not fittted a fuse or ever had a burnt out motor.

My son and I many years back now used to run Bobby's with a 540 and a P40 prop which gave them a healthy turn of speed. Any weed encountered was just chewed up! The only near stalls were caused by picking up fishing line.

In my Elke I am planning on using a prop shop 25mm 3 blade one and either a monoperm or super monoperm with a very cheap esc.

However there are many motors available, choice is not easy, and I do have a liking for using re-cycled commercial motors. As an example I have a twin powered HDML using 2 ex-computer tape deck motors (Pitman now 50+ years old now). The boat goes faster than scale speed and there 2 off 9 cell Nicad packs (they were going cheap) and full speed is just 3/4 of an amp (750mA) per motor.

So I very much agree that a good match of prop to motor can make all the difference to time and performance on the water. I also like to be able to turn the prop and feel the (brushed) motor 'cogging'.

Regards

Roy
    Martin555
    Fleet Admiral
    Flag
    Online: 14 days ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Hi Doug,
    The Hull is looking great.
    Do you have anymore updates on this vessel ?

Martin555.
    If it looks right it probably is.
    roycv
    Petty Officer 2nd Class
    Flag
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Hi re props you are right about the 2 blade props. I have not looked in that much detail at my Elke kit.
    I was basing it on my 2 Billing Mary Ann fishing boats and they come with very small 2 bladed props.
    Which I have changed to what must seem more sensible 3 bladed props.

I have a spare Monoperm Super for the Elke build and I have been using the very small esc's that cost < ยฃ5 and use the plugs and sockets more often seen on RC receivers.

They are excellent in performance and have the smallest switch I have ever seen to control simulated braking for cars or when off a nice clean and quick reverse. I guess a safe current would be < 4 amps? I have been using them for several years now.

Regards

Roy
    jbkiwi
    Admiral
    Flag
    Online: 9 hours ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Looking a lot better now Doug, when is the expected re-launch, or is your good lady distracting you from your work๐Ÿ˜‰๐Ÿ˜‚?

JB
    RNinMunich
    Fleet Admiral
    Flag
    Online: 2 hours ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Thanks JB,
    That cutter is indeed very similar to my Billing Gina, which BTW is a Danish boat not German.
    Although the Graupner boat seems to be rigged as a crab cutter rather than a 'fish' cutter.
    Attached pics show the 'wreck' that I inherited, and finally the current hull state.
    Cheers, Doug ๐Ÿ˜Ž
    Young at heart ๐Ÿ˜‰ Slightly older in other places.;-/ Cheers Doug
    jbkiwi
    Admiral
    Flag
    Online: 9 hours ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    This might help Allen, just dragged out my 204 page Graupner catalogue from the late 70s an found the Elke info. Also for Doug, a pic of the Graupner Ton 12 fish cutter for comparison to your Billings. If anyone needs any info on old Graupner kits or fittings (planes or boats) from the catalogue let me know (PM if you want) Just for interests sake, a pic of the Graupner factory in its' heyday in the 70s as well.

JB
    RNinMunich
    Fleet Admiral
    Flag
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Hi Allen,
    Long time no hear!๐Ÿค”
    The saga of your boot sale find restoration started, and came to an abrupt halt๐Ÿ˜ฎ, 3 years ago.
    Did you ever get her running to your satisfaction?
    If so any pics or vids of her in action available?
    Would be very interested to see how she turned out.
    Especially as she's very similar to an ancient Billing fish cutter that I inherited from an Aunt around that time and am (slowly๐Ÿ™„) restoring and converting from static to RC.
    Cheers, Doug ๐Ÿ˜Ž
    RNinMunich
    Fleet Admiral
    Flag
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Hi Roy,
    Please correct me if I'm barking up the wrong tree, but aren't the P and X type plastic props two bladers, primarily for racers?
    I believe that this model, a 'plodder' needs a 4 blade water-shover of finer pitch๐Ÿ˜‰
    My choice would be a Raboesch type 147-xx 25 or 30mm prop, see page 3 of the attached catalogue.
    Driven by a 280 or 285 brushed motor on 6V.
    Cheers, Doug ๐Ÿ˜Ž
    roycv
    Petty Officer 2nd Class
    Flag
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Hi all I note that some time ago the pitch of propellers was being discussed. If you are using the P and X type plastic or reinforced ones then the P type is 1.4 times the prop diameter for the pitch. The X type is 1.7 (I think) times the prop diameter.

Regards

Roy
    Show 42 More Posts

About This Website
    Terms of Service
    Privacy Policy
    Cookies used in this website are gluten free, wheat free and dairy free. By using this website you agree to our use of cookies. More Info