• Domain Fees
  • Security Certificates
  • iOS & Android App Fees
  • Website Hosting
  • Fast Servers
  • Data Backups
  • Upkeep & Maintenance
  • Administration Costs

Without your support the website wouldn't be what it is today.

Please consider donating towards these fees to help keep us afloat.

Read more

All donations are securely managed through PayPal. Amounts donated are not published online.

Many thanks for your kind support
  • Join Us On Social Media!
    Model Boats Website
    Model Boats Website
    Home
    Forum
    Build Blogs
    Media Gallery
    Boat Clubs & Lakes
    Events
    Boat Harbour
    How-To Articles
    Plans & Docs
    Useful Links

Followers
    Painting
    by steve-d πŸ‡¬πŸ‡§ ( Chief Petty Officer 2nd Class)
    πŸ“£

Click To
    Follow
    20 Posts 19 Replies 6 Photos 22 Likes
    ( Newest Posts Shown First )
    steve-d
    Chief Petty Officer 2nd Class
    πŸ“ Painting
    Flag
    Online: 2 months ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Yes you could but to make the template you would have to draw out all the planking so you may as well do it once on the deck.
    It would be no easier doing it on the template.
    The second issue would be needing to use card for the template then run the risk of the ink marking running under the template edge.
    marky
    Sub-Lieutenant
    πŸ“ Painting
    Flag
    Online: 13 seconds ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Could you make a template of the deck marking the planning on it ,then working from the centre or outer edge trim off the first plank put the template back on, and scribe or draw 1st line then trim to 2nd line repeat until all the planning is done.
    Westquay
    Lieutenant Commander
    πŸ“ Painting
    Flag
    Online: 5 months ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Ah, there are motor boats, Doug and then there are woodies! Woodies have varnish...everywhere, motor boats are a little more utilitarian I think. Perhaps the Fairey tendency to be on the sea rather than freshwater lakes meant they had scrubbed teak decks.
    If you made the deck planks from, say 2mm stuff, they would curve no problems, but veneers would have to be cut to shape. Nice sharp knife and gently does it is the trick.

Martin
    RNinMunich
    Fleet Admiral
    πŸ“ Painting
    Flag
    Online: 2 hours ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Except on Rivas and the like MartinπŸ˜‰
    (and restored Sea Scouts of course😁)
    Both my pics were taken from Huntsman 31 For Sale ads.

Rather like the curved planking, but would be a devil to do!
    Planks would have to be pretty thick to stop 'em warping while trying to curve 'em 😲
    Way to go Steve πŸ‘

Joggle jiggle, what's it matter so long your mojo works 😁😁
    Young at heart - slightly older in other places πŸ˜‰ Cheers Doug
    Westquay
    Lieutenant Commander
    πŸ“ Painting
    Flag
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    I notice your first picture shows properly joggled planks into the King plank, but Doug's picture shows no joggling on, I assume, a similar boat.
    Joggling will look so much nicer.

Not keen on the varnished deck of the boat seen from the rear. Scrubbed teak is the "proper" finish for a deck.

Cheers,
    Martin
    steve-d
    πŸ“ Painting
    Flag
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Yes coming to the same conclusion on a template rather than calipers because the planks follow the hull curve along the side of the cabin but do not follow around the bow.
    I'll make a template of the side and see if I can move that forwards and achieve the required result.
    I think I may also cheat a little and have slightly wider planks than scale and hope there arn't too many 'rivet counters' (Land Rover expression) out there.
    RNinMunich
    Fleet Admiral
    πŸ“ Painting
    Flag
    Online: 2 hours ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Good luck Steve! I see your problem πŸ€”
    Don't know how you want to do that with calipers😲
    The radius is not constant so how do you progressively adjust the caliper / compass to match!?
    I would make a brass / alu template (min 2mm) to match the deck edge curve.
    Then you only have to mark the plank widths, at both ends, to be able to set the template for the next plank.
    The elegant 'T' piece on the bow I would first mark and scribe using a card or plasticard template taken from the plan.
    Bon chance mon ami!
    Cheers, Doug 😎
    Young at heart - slightly older in other places πŸ˜‰ Cheers Doug
    Westquay
    Lieutenant Commander
    πŸ“ Painting
    Flag
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Ah! I thought Fairey might prove the exception to the planking rule. Well, it'll look nice, that's for sure. Paint. I always use enamel and my local auto paint shop will make me 1/4 litre tins up, of HMG, which lasts a long time from a small spray gun. Failing that, Rustoleum do some lovely rattle cans in a range of colours that spray very well and are only just over a fiver a tin. One tin would do you if you're careful. I've just given my Darby One Design its second coat of blue after a rub down and I'm happy with that. Dries very quickly, but is a nice gloss. it is a bit thin, so be very careful how you spray. Better to do two coats than one thick one. But really, if you can get it, HMG is the best bar none. Worth hunting for. Paint, alas, just ain't cheap anymore. Would that we could get tins of Valspar or Japlac, eh? The proper original stuff. Plastikote was a good paint when it was an enamel, now it's acrylic water based muck. No coverage and reacts with itself, let alone owt else.
    I would be inclined, btw, to do that curved deck in veneer, so all your mistakes will be made before it goes on the boat. in which case, once the planks are made and fit bang on, go up the edges with a black marker pen. it will look like caulking when all is done.

Good luck,
    Martin
    steve-d
    πŸ“ Painting
    Flag
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    This is the planking I need to replicate.
    Pretty complex but that is what I have let myself into
    steve-d
    πŸ“ Painting
    Flag
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Will post pics of the curved planking when I get in this evening but in the mean time any thoughts on the type of paint I should use on the hull? The subject boat is painted with international 'Toplac' but the smallest tin they do is 750ml (Β£22.95) so its not getting that. The model was painted with Humbrol enamel but it peeled so perhaps to be avoided.
    Show 10 More Posts

About This Website
    Terms of Service
    Privacy Policy
    Cookies used in this website are gluten free, wheat free and dairy free. By using this website you agree to our use of cookies. More Info