• Domain Fees
  • Security Certificates
  • iOS & Android App Fees
  • Website Hosting
  • Fast Servers
  • Data Backups
  • Upkeep & Maintenance
  • Administration Costs

Without your support the website wouldn't be what it is today.

Please consider donating towards these fees to help keep us afloat.

Read more

All donations are securely managed through PayPal. Amounts donated are not published online.

Many thanks for your kind support
  • Join Us On Social Media!
    Save £50 when you join Bulb
    Model Boats Website
    Model Boats Website
    Home
    Forum
    Build Blogs
    Media Gallery
    Boat Clubs & Lakes
    Events
    Boat Harbour
    How-To Articles
    Plans & Docs
    Useful Links

Followers
    Motor, speed controller
    by KenThompson ๐Ÿ‡ฌ๐Ÿ‡ง ( Warrant Officer)
    ๐Ÿ“ฃ

Click To
    Follow
    24 Posts 23 Replies 10 Photos 17 Likes
    ( Newest Posts Shown First )
    redpmg
    Midshipman
    ๐Ÿ“ Motor, speed controller
    Flag
    Online: 7 seconds ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Thought of building a simple Springer type tug as a rescue boat as there is no club locally - so sail on my own. Tried using my old Lindbergh tug quite often, can handle bad weather and has a surprising amount of power from a 7 pole (old printer) motor, but the pointy bow makes it difficult for rescues although it has worked from time to time.
    Any ideas on how to control the motors on a springer from a single speed controller as ESC,s are not only difficult to obtain they are also b..... expensive here. Perhaps I should try servo switching as I have a large stockpile of those. Have two ideal 380 motors , shafts props etc from a RTR toy type but of course the Radio/ ESC is not very much use beside being the multi channel 27 mhz type which even my cellphone (mobile) interferes with
    JOHN
    Chief Petty Officer 2nd Class
    Flag
    Online: 8 hours ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    โ€ฆโ€ฆ..โ€ฆ and some more pics - (it wouldn't allow me to modify my last posting :-) )

John
    JOHN
    Chief Petty Officer 2nd Class
    Flag
    Online: 8 hours ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Hi there, As promised here are some pics of Terry's rescue craft and you know the old saying - when you don't know - keep ya clagger shut - well, it hasn't got 500 motors in it - it only has 380s which are geared. There are two servos which are the 180 degree type movement; and were purchased from Ebay and these operate the 2 arms and the arms are hidden underneath the two cable drums either side. See what you think. Bit thought for ya project :-)
    RNinMunich
    Fleet Admiral
    Flag
    Online: 1 hour ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Hi Dodgy,
    "P.P.S. You might want to consider a clover-leaf aerial. That enables what they call 'circular polarity' transmission, which is really useful for drones when the transmitting aerial is performing contortions in the air. For boats, a vertical aerial pumping out vertically-polarised waves may suffer from 'bounce' off the water surface, which turns the reflected waves horizontal. But these are very cheap anyway, and can be experimented with"

Yes I'd noticed the clover leaf. Not the most efficient antenna but agree it's a nice compact design. Agreed the reflections can cause some polarisation distortion.
    A vertical antenna (properly earthed) also produces a ground wave propagation which travels especially well over water, but admittedly not so long range at 5.8Gigs. Works best at lower frequencies where the absorbtion rate in water is lower. Those operating in salt water lakes on the coast are better off in this respect than us fresh water sailors!
    So I was thinking of using antenna diversity, one vertical and one horizontal.
    Just like most 2.4Gig TX/RX sets already do. A vertical stub antenna at the top of the TX case and a horizontal antenna in the handle usually.
    Of course if you hold the TX flat on it's back then you are relying on the horizontal antenna component!! At the RX end two 12,5cm wires, one vertical, one horizontal is the counter part.
    Works well in my Sea Scout.
    For 5.8 Gigs the wavelength is a little less than half that at 5.1688cm so the clover leaf is a reasonable compromise.
    Didn't spend my professional life working on all types of radio systems, from VLF/HF through personal mobile and cellular systems up to full COMMS suites with datalinks on naval vessels for nuffink. Some of it stuck! ๐Ÿ˜‰
    Having successfully hijacked Ken's thread (Sorry Ken๐Ÿ˜ญ) I guess we should continue this discussion (if required) in a new thread! Cheers, Doug ๐Ÿ˜Ž
    Young at heart - slightly older in other places ๐Ÿ˜‰ Cheers Doug
    RNinMunich
    Fleet Admiral
    Flag
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Hi Nerys,
    Wish Alice had been here some years ago.
    I had to swim out in me knickers ๐Ÿ˜ฎ to rescue my HMS Hotspur destroyer from being launched into orbit by one of the lake fountains when the RX supply connection failed๐Ÿค”
    Got a round of applause and some interesting suggestions form some of the -er- 'ladies' present! Alice might have needed a snorkel as well though. I was quickly out of my depth and I'm 6'2". Cheers All, Doug ๐Ÿ˜Ž
    KenThompson
    Warrant Officer
    Flag
    Online: 6 minutes ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Yes Nerys, but tell her not to put them away yet,, it may be a while before I get it on the drawing board,
    Cheers for now,, Ken
    May the wind always be always where you want it .
    KenThompson
    Warrant Officer
    Flag
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Cheers Dogdy geezer, I think I have a good idea now of what is needed, cheep, cheerful simple about 18/24โ€ long. I too like components gear, and will probably use their gear for this project.,,many thanks for your feedback. Cheers , Ken
    KenThompson
    Warrant Officer
    Flag
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Doug, that sounds about right, yep , kiss is what I had in mind, plus the cc,,, now to the drawing board.
    Cheers Doug.
    Nerys
    Lieutenant
    Flag
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Hi Ken,
    If you are intending to build a rescue boat, may I thank you on behalf of Alice as this should cut down the number of times she has to get into her waders and perform the human rescue boat role.
    When the winds before the rain, soon you may make sail again, but when the rain's before the wind, tops'l sheets and halyards mind
    RNinMunich
    Fleet Admiral
    Flag
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Excellent, thanks Dodgy๐Ÿ‘
    Having messed with 270ยฐ gun turret travel the 180ยฐ servo will be the least of my problems๐Ÿ˜€
    Show 14 More Posts

About This Website
    Terms of Service
    Privacy Policy
    Cookies used in this website are gluten free, wheat free and dairy free. By using this website you agree to our use of cookies. More Info