• Domain Fees
  • Security Certificates
  • iOS & Android App Fees
  • Website Hosting
  • Fast Servers
  • Data Backups
  • Upkeep & Maintenance
  • Administration Costs

Without your support the website wouldn't be what it is today.

Please consider donating towards these fees to help keep us afloat.

Read more

All donations are securely managed through PayPal. Amounts donated are not published online.

Many thanks for your kind support
  • Join Us On Social Media!
    Model Boats Website
    Model Boats Website
    Home
    Forum
    Build Blogs
    Media Gallery
    Boat Clubs & Lakes
    Events
    Boat Harbour
    How-To Articles
    Plans & Docs
    Useful Links

Followers
    Glue for Deck Fittings ?
    by Xcpilot πŸ‡¬πŸ‡§ ( Leading Seaman)
    πŸ“£

Click To
    Follow
    10 Posts 9 Replies 6 Photos 39 Likes
    ( Newest Posts Shown First )
    Joe727
    Commander
    πŸ“ Glue for Deck Fittings ?
    Flag
    Online: 4 days ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    JT,
    Nice work with the mechanical reinforcement. I spent my life in the designing and building of large construction projects, I always relied on a mechanical connection in addition to adhesive where glue was used. All of the guys that gave you this advice are quite right! πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘
    Joe 😎
    Xcpilot
    Leading Seaman
    Flag
    Online: 7 days ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    I used Rob’s solution for the plastic fairleads. In my case I had to use miniature brass tacks. Luckily I have some watch makers drills and a useful pin drill to drill the clearance holes in the fairleads and pilot holes in the deck.

The fairleads were fixed with CA and some dabs of silver hammerite have blended in the tack heads nicely.

Build now complete. 😎 JT
    Compare yourself with others and you either will become vain or bitter.
    robbob
    Rear Admiral
    Flag
    Online: 14 hours ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Hi JT.
    Thanks for your kind comments on my Police Boat πŸ‘πŸ˜€πŸ‘
    My approach to deck fittings is that glue will never be adequate on it's own, and as Martin said you're often only glueing to a layer of paint so I always make sure that there's a 'mechanical' fixing as well. That means fixing through the mounting surface with a pin or screw, or perhaps a threaded stud if the item is to be demountable.
    Robbob.
    "Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana"
    Xcpilot
    Leading Seaman
    Flag
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    For a master class on making and fixing fittings see Robbob’s 36” Thames River Police Launch build blog.

It’s inspired me to make some more deck fittings. 😊😎

JT
    Xcpilot
    Leading Seaman
    Flag
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Thanks all for your help. πŸ‘πŸ˜Ž

Yes Pete’s idea of making studs is the way forward for the handrails.

In my case the handrails are small so cocktail sticks worked well. First I drilled 1.5mm holes in the rails then short but oversize studs were glued in the holes with canopy glue. These were later sanded back to the thickness of the cabin roofs.

I found an easy way to transfer the position of studs to the roof was by blacking the bottom of the studs with a pencil. This left clear marks on masking tape where I drilled 2mm clearance holes to secure the handrails. I will expoxy them in position.

Plastic fairleads next ?

JT
    ianed57
    Sub-Lieutenant
    Flag
    Online: 1 day ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    I agree with Pete that a mechanical fixing is always a good idea, brass rod or small brass nails which can be sanded quite well. I have never thought of double sided tape- worth thinking about. I wonder if you have a brand name, Commodore, for such tape?

Ian
    Commodore-H
    Chief Petty Officer 2nd Class
    Flag
    Online: 19 hours ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    I have had success attaching deck fittings with double face tape. Modern versions of double stick tape is really robust, The advantage is there is no squeeze out as the often times is with any kind of glue. You can get thin double face tape at a craft store I have some that is only 1/8" wide. The good stuff really sticks hard and lasts. When applying it you must be sure not to touch the tape at all before you stick it and surfaces must be clean. Another advantage is that you can get things back off if you need to although with some difficulty.
    The sure way to succeed is, just try one more time
    Rookysailor
    Captain
    Flag
    Online: 13 hours ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    I would use epoxy but one with a longer setting time, as the longer it takes to go off, the stronger the hold, plus I drill each item with 1mm drill, then epoxy a short piece of brass rod into the item and into a hole in the boat, so for your rails, drill three holes into each rail, measure the distance onto the boat cabin top, and drill three matching holes, then glue, I do this with all my fittings, and as yet have never lost one.😊

Cheers, Pete

btw, nice build jt
    Martin555
    Fleet Admiral
    Flag
    Online: 3 hours ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Hi,
    I personally would steer clear of Silicone sealant.
    It is ok for sealing or stopping leaks but it has a habit of getting everywhere and is a real pain to paint over.

Depending on how much surface area you have but a two part epoxy is very good.

If possible it is always best to try and remove the paint first then you are not just sticking just to paint.

Sorry if this is not very helpful.

Martin555.
    If it looks right it probably is.
    Xcpilot
    Leading Seaman
    Flag
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    My final hurdle on my lockdown project (Aerokits Fast Patrol Boat) is the deck fittings. What is the most suitable glue to secure deck fittings. The deck and cabin roofs have been finished with 2K acrylic car paint to which I will be attaching plastic fairleads and my scratch made wooden hand rails.

I particularly want to properly secure the hand rails as they took quite a bit of time to fabricate.

I have been testing the obvious choices with a old lolly stick glued to a old CD. In order of best adhesion here is what I found.

Worst adhesion but friendliest to use Canopy glue, 12 min epoxy was ok, finally cyanoacrylate gave the best adhesion but I feel still It was not secure enough.

Has anyone tried Silicone sealant or other building adhesives say Grip-fill or the other derivatives like No-nails or (I like the name of this one) Sticks like Sh*t.😎

Thanks in advance JT

About This Website
    Terms of Service
    Privacy Policy
    Cookies used in this website are gluten free, wheat free and dairy free. By using this website you agree to our use of cookies. More Info