• Domain Fees
  • Security Certificates
  • iOS & Android App Fees
  • Website Hosting
  • Fast Servers
  • Data Backups
  • Upkeep & Maintenance
  • Administration Costs

Without your support the website wouldn't be what it is today.

Please consider donating towards these fees to help keep us afloat.

Read more

All donations are securely managed through PayPal. Amounts donated are not published online.

Many thanks for your kind support
  • Join Us On Social Media!
    Model Boats Website
    Model Boats Website
    Home
    Forum
    Build Blogs
    Media Gallery
    Boat Clubs & Lakes
    Events
    Boat Harbour
    How-To Articles
    Plans & Docs
    Useful Links

Followers
    by jacko ๐Ÿ‡ฌ๐Ÿ‡ง ( Sub-Lieutenant)
    ๐Ÿ“ฃ

Click To
    Follow
    20 Posts 19 Replies 8 Photos 37 Likes
    ( Newest Posts Shown First )
    Willem
    Leading Seaman
    ๐Ÿ“ Billings Dragen...has anyone built this kit and done an RC conversion?
    Flag
    Online: 49 seconds ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Hi,
    years ago I build the Aeronaut Pinguin, only 62 cm, my first sailing boat. She also had a cockpit, that I sealed completely, so no problems with water.
    The servo for the rudder was in the rear and couldn't be reached anymore after completing the deck. The batteries were located in the bulb of the keel. Receiver and sail servo could be reached through the canopy. She was real fun to sail. Unfortunally I had no pictures made and after 20 years she was scrapped. Good luck with your project. It is always fun to have a small boat that you can take with you without effort and sail wherever you like.
    Nerys
    Admiral
    Flag
    Online: 5 seconds ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Hi Tony,

Really, I cannot see any reason why it would not be possible to get all the RC gear inside a boat of this size.. I built an Aeronaut Bella, admittedly from a kit, a few years ago and she is quite fine lined, maybe not quite as much as a Dragon, but not that far off. She was roughly the same size as your Dragon will be. She had a cockpit, but it was deliberately kept shallow and I have never had any problems with her getting water in there, ok, some water, but not enough to worry about, and if it can be made watertight, all the better. However, I do agree with Ron and think if you can fit a transparent cover over the cockpit, it would be advantageous. Anyway, best of luck with the project and I'm sure I won't be the only one watching with interest.

Cheers, Nerys
    When the winds before the rain, soon you may make sail again, but when the rain's before the wind, tops'l sheets and halyards mind
    TonyAsh
    Master Seaman
    Flag
    Online: 7 hours ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Hi Nerys,
    As you know I'm building a Dragon from a plan -it'll be a bit longer than the Billings boat at 35". I'm in the early stages of build at present, when the hull is planked I'll post a few photos and a narrative on how and with what I built it with. Interesting what Ron advises re covering the cockpit -the cockpit will be a real challenge as the yacht will be Genoa rigged and the sheet controls will be a bit more complicated in the cockpit area. Looking at the Billings boat -even given the bulkheads are cut away to make space internally I would think it would need to be lipo/mini receiver job -but then the major problem would still be there, i.e. the centre of buoyancy needs to be lower than the deepest part of the keel -which i'm fixing by having a lead keel extension that can be housed back to the main hull when not sailing.
    Tony A.....
    Colin H
    Rear Admiral
    Flag
    Online: 3 hours ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Looks good on the water, well done shipmate.
    Cheers Colin.
    Fair winds and calm waters, COLIN.
    Nerys
    Admiral
    Flag
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Interesting photos of a nice looking little boat, I like that high peaked gaff rig and the answer to an open cockpit with clear plastic is a good one.
    Has anyone answered the original title of this post. Has anyone built the Billings Dragon and done an RC conversion.? I wouldn't mind building one if I ever recover from the trauma of building a Deans kit, but squashing the RC gear in to quite a slender hull might be difficult, which is why I'd like to know if anyone has already done it. I've always liked the Dragon class, there was a large fleet of them racing at the Medway Yacht Club when I sailed there in the 50's.

Cheers, Nerys
    When the winds before the rain, soon you may make sail again, but when the rain's before the wind, tops'l sheets and halyards mind
    Ron
    Captain
    Flag
    Online: 3 hours ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    I noted that the biggest concern people had was the open cockpit holding water in choppy weather. I had the same thing with the Wianno Senior and to solve that, I used some clear packaging material found with food containers in the grocery store.

No more water in the cockpit or below deck.
    marky
    Commodore
    Flag
    Online: 1 day ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Thanks Ron๐Ÿ‘
    marky
    Commodore
    Flag
    Online: 1 day ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Great bargain ,is it a Myford lathe next to the scroll saw ?
    Cheers Marky๐Ÿ‘
    Nerys
    Admiral
    Flag
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    I'm sorry Doug, but I didn't have a camera for many years, unfortunate when I think of all the pics I could have taken, I have a large box of photos and slides which I will investigate one day, but they centre around dinghy sailing on the Medway few traditional boats all over the country and then mostly slides of barge and smack racing in the late 70s.
    I sold 'Y Ddraig Goch' to someone from Brightlinsea, he sailed her over to the continent then down the coast , Brittany and Bay of Biscay, can't remember where, then back to the Colne. Lost touch with him as I moved to the Midlands.

Cheers, Nerys
    RNinMunich
    Fleet Admiral
    Flag
    Online: 56 minutes ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Nice buy๐Ÿ‘ Don't make a muck of it Ron!
    Or run amok in the workshop๐Ÿ˜ฎ
    I have a table saw similar to yours, worth it's weight in balsa ๐Ÿ˜‰
    BTW; did you know that 'amok' came into English in the 1600s, earlier spelt 'amuck', from Malay, where it meant 'running around in a murderous frenzy'?
    Keep taking the tablets๐Ÿค”
    ๐Ÿ˜Ž
    Young at heart ๐Ÿ˜‰ Slightly older in other places.;-/ Cheers Doug
    Show 10 More Posts

About This Website
    Terms of Service
    Privacy Policy
    Cookies used in this website are gluten free, wheat free and dairy free. By using this website you agree to our use of cookies. More Info