• Domain Fees
  • Security Certificates
  • iOS & Android App Fees
  • Website Hosting
  • Fast Servers
  • Data Backups
  • Upkeep & Maintenance
  • Administration Costs

Without your support the website wouldn't be what it is today.

Please consider donating towards these fees to help keep us afloat.

Read more

All donations are securely managed through PayPal. Amounts donated are not published online.

Many thanks for your kind support
  • Join Us On Social Media!
    Model Boats Website
    Model Boats Website
    Home
    Forum
    Build Blogs
    Media Gallery
    Boat Clubs & Lakes
    Events
    Boat Harbour
    How-To Articles
    Plans & Docs
    Useful Links

Followers
    S.B.Anglia
    by Nerys πŸ‡¬πŸ‡§ ( Admiral)
    πŸ“£

Click To
    Follow
    3 Posts 2 Replies 0 Photos 4 Likes
    ( Newest Posts Shown First )
    Nerys
    Admiral
    πŸ“ S.B.Anglia
    Flag
    Online: 7 seconds ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    SorryPete, Anglia was still around when I was barging, I started in the late forties, but being in Kentish barges, didn't see much of Pauls or Cranfields unless we happened to be up the 'Vic' or somewhere at the same time. I cannot be sure of course, but I don't think I ever saw her. As for the ghost story, I've heard it from several sources but first heard it from my skipper on 'Santille' ex 'Beryl' of Faversham who was a sailorman of the old school and could yarn about them till kingdom come.

Cheers, Nerys
    When the winds before the rain, soon you may make sail again, but when the rain's before the wind, tops'l sheets and halyards mind
    pmdent
    Petty Officer 2nd Class
    πŸ“ S.B.Anglia
    Flag
    Online: 12 days ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Nerys many thanks for that info. Sounds like she had become a hulk before your barge sailing days?
    Cheers for now - Peter
    Nerys
    Admiral
    πŸ“ S.B.Anglia
    Flag
    Online: 7 seconds ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Pete. Thank you for writing to me about the sailing barge 'Anglia'. I think the most interesting thing about her was that she was reputed to be haunted. A mate killed the skipper or something.
    She was one of the last two sailing barges owned by the Ipswich firm of R & W Paul. She was built in Ipswich in 1896 and for many years, had Brightlingsea owners. She was the last sailing barge purchased by Paul's who paid Β£700 for her in 1940. She was requisitioned as a mine watching hulk in Harwich Harbour during the war. Rebuilt in 1945 and eventually sold in 1960 for Β£1200 to a Mr Burger for conversion to a yacht.

cheers, Nerys
    When the winds before the rain, soon you may make sail again, but when the rain's before the wind, tops'l sheets and halyards mind

About This Website
    Terms of Service
    Privacy Policy
    Cookies used in this website are gluten free, wheat free and dairy free. By using this website you agree to our use of cookies. More Info