• Domain Fees
  • Security Certificates
  • iOS & Android App Fees
  • Website Hosting
  • Fast Servers
  • Data Backups
  • Upkeep & Maintenance
  • Administration Costs

Without your support the website wouldn't be what it is today.

Please consider donating towards these fees to help keep us afloat.

Read more

All donations are securely managed through PayPal. Amounts donated are not published online.

Many thanks for your kind support
  • Join Us On Social Media!
    Model Boats Website
    Model Boats Website
    Home
    Forum
    Build Blogs
    Media Gallery
    Boat Clubs & Lakes
    Events
    Boat Harbour
    How-To Articles
    Plans & Docs
    Useful Links

Followers
    Flotilla age range and preferences.
    by Colin H πŸ‡¬πŸ‡§ ( Vice Admiral)
    πŸ“£

Click To
    Follow
    42 Posts 41 Replies 73 Photos 131 Likes
    ( Newest Posts Shown First )
    redpmg
    Commodore
    πŸ“ Flotilla age range and preferences.
    Flag
    Online: 24 hours ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Colin that's a marvellous old boat you have there - and its still around after over a Century. Don't think many modern plastic wonders will be.

Amazing what people used to make models from when you think of all our modern glues etc - which we all seem to take for granted. Even when I was a youngster Dad still used the glue you melted with hot water in a special double pot for his woodwork - smelled awful - probably made from some kind of fish..........

Many years ago read about a club that moulded have-a-go boat hulls for youngsters from newspaper & house paint - wonder what the builder of your boat used?

A wonderful collection you have altogether. Looking forward to seeing the details of the rest of the boats - and how you aquired them.
    Colin H
    Vice Admiral
    Flag
    Online: 4 hours ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Nerys, when I purchased it from the auction it was listed as a model of SS Great Britain .
    Although I'm sceptical about that, the general shape is pretty good.
    Cheers Colin.
    Fair winds and calm waters, COLIN.
    Nerys
    Admiral
    Flag
    Online: 12 seconds ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Your oldest boat looks very interesting, presumably she had a bridge and a funnel at one time. Think you must have a most unusual collection spanning the years if this is an example.

Cheers, Nerys
    When the winds before the rain, soon you may make sail again, but when the rain's before the wind, tops'l sheets and halyards mind
    Newby7
    Vice Admiral
    Flag
    Online: 42 minutes ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Agree with Nerys keep rambling Colin.Wonderful pictures of an old boat .
    Rick
    Scratchbuilder
    Commander
    Flag
    Online: 2 hours ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Colin.
    Classic,absolutely classic.
    What a wonderful exhibit.
    Regards Bill.
    Never give up.It will come right in the end.
    Colin H
    Vice Admiral
    Flag
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    The Oldest Model in my collection was built around 1914 using newspaper over a card frame with wooden bracing stiffeners and a wooden deck and masts, with a clockwork motor driving a small tin prop (possably home made).
    What you see in the pictures is basically how it was bought from a local clearing auction from a deceased estate in Monmouthshire.
    The date of build is based on the newspapers it was built from, sadly the motor had rusted so badly that when i was removing it it fell apart.
    The hull is about 3 feet in length and 5 inches wide by 6 inches deep. the two masts are 3/8" dowel 15 inches long.
    Although originally when i got it home the paper laminations were coming apart, but I remedied this by spraying the inside with dluted Ezekote and allowing it to soak in and air dry.
    Even though its not in a condition to use, many people are curious about it when i take it to the vintage shows.
    Cheers Colin.
    Nerys
    Admiral
    Flag
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Colin, half the fun of this site are the ramblings we all come up with, at least you and I think so.

Cheers, Nerys
    When the winds before the rain, soon you may make sail again, but when the rain's before the wind, tops'l sheets and halyards mind
    Colin H
    Vice Admiral
    Flag
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Nerys, you clever girl, I couldn't remember the name, I remember in the late 60's early 70'sdad managed to get a job with Avon testing ribs, and mid 70's he was testing Metzler ribs. I'd already left home by then but still joined him at weekends when he was testing the compatibility of various RIB and Motor combinations.
    Great fun sometimes dangerous in the winter months.
    Only ever went overboard once when we hit a sandbank at speed, boat stopped as if we'd hit a wall. I was sat in about 6 inches of water, we couldn't stop laughing.
    Happy Times lass, my son and I are now looking for a fishing boat project that we can trailer to the coast for fishing trips.
    God knows how the rest of the members put up with my ramblings.
    Cheers Colin.
    Nerys
    Admiral
    Flag
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Hi Colin,
    When you say 'the big boat show on the South Coast' in the years after the war, do you mean the 'Pavillon d'Or', which was the major event of the year for motor cruisers. I used to read about it, with all due reverence, in 'Motor Boat and Yachting' magazine. Those were the days.
    Interesting you should talk about your father keeping a boat in Aberystwyth Harbour. We were there this afternoon and was it hot!

Cheers, Nerys
    redpmg
    Commodore
    Flag
    Online: 24 hours ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Glad to hear it Colin - good luck with finding a boat . Look forward to hearing of your exploits in it.
    Show 32 More Posts

About This Website
    Terms of Service
    Privacy Policy
    Cookies used in this website are gluten free, wheat free and dairy free. By using this website you agree to our use of cookies. More Info