Cookies used in this website are gluten free, wheat free and dairy free. By using this website you agree to our use of cookies. More Info
Guest
Login Below
Join Us On Social Media!
   
Get The Model Boats App!
Apple App Store
Android app on Google Play


Help Support This Website
£
or enter custom amount

(Non Contributor)

Help support this free
website and donate.



£285 a year is needed to keep the website and apps online. Please consider donating £5 or more to help towards these fees.
All donations are securely managed through PayPal. Amounts donated are not published online.

Many thanks for your kind support.

Model Boats Website Team


Donation History
November 2017: 12 people
October 2017: 9 people
September 2017: 15 people
August 2017: 10 people
July 2017: 16 people
June 2017: 8 people
May 2017: 8 people
April 2017: 22 people


Unique Visitors This Month

Website Members

Terms and Conditions
Privacy Policy
Advertising
Contact


Model Boats Website
Active Users (31)
Login or Register
To Remove This Ad

Login or Register
To Remove This Ad
>> Home > Forum > All Blogs > Re Boat Harbour entries
Re Boat Harbour entries
(683 views)
Author Message
RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)





Forum Posts: 1088
9th Aug 2017 21:34  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/31904

Hi All, I have noticed that recently there have been several new entries with text only, no pics 🤔 I understood that the Harbour is a showcase for finished models, or as good as, at least runners! Without pics it 'don't woik'! A picture tells a thousand words! What we are seeing now is more like "How is your boat set up?" There's a section for that as well, I think😉
Seems also that several entries actually belong in the Build Blog section cos they ain't finished yet, or some only just started!
Or have I misunderstood the purpose of the Harbour??
Cheers Doug 😎


"The brain is not intended to store facts. It is for thinking, and for knowing where to find the facts !" Albert Einstein. 😉 cheers Doug
Dave M
(Fleet Admiral!)





Forum Posts: 1403
10th Aug 2017 09:20  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/31921

You beat me to mentioning this, Doug
You are quite correct the Boat Harbour section of the Forum is for members to show their finished models as well as give details of the power set up etc. A picture is really needed to show off the model in all its glory.

If you are able to posts in the Build Blog section are very welcome and do produce encouraging and helpful responses from members, who also benefit from seeing how others tackle their builds.

There are other specific sections where members can post to share experiences or seek help for specific topics.

Some members use Tablets or Mobile devices to view and it could be Stephen may need to make it easier for these users to access the relevant sections and post pictures.

All posts are welcome but pictures do add greatly to the impact, and I suggest that any member who has a problem posting, sends Fireboat, Stephen a pm so he can address the issue.

happy building and posting
Dave


Live long and prosper

Dave
RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)





Forum Posts: 1088
10th Aug 2017 17:43  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/31934

Thanks Dave, My post was triggered by the post about the Stinger -
"The Stinger - Comments: Affinity RG65 adorned with Wasp logo .."
Thought that sounds interesting, what's the logo look like?
Found it on the site and there was ..... NOTHING😭
Sadly not the first such instance.
Cheers Doug 😎


"The brain is not intended to store facts. It is for thinking, and for knowing where to find the facts !" Albert Einstein. 😉 cheers Doug
RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)





Forum Posts: 1088
21st Aug 2017 09:00  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/32224

and here's another 'Harbour Post' in the wrong section and with no pics! 😲
"Rascal" by oscartrain_
"Graham Bantock "Ragtime" 1mtr yacht. found in a loft, needs finishing."

Gents: the 'Harbour' is for presenting complete boats / ships with pics and/or videos to show us what she looks like.
The place for new and 'in progress' projects is a Build Blog or one of the relevant Build related forums.
Cheers 'disappointed again' 🤔
Doug 😎


"The brain is not intended to store facts. It is for thinking, and for knowing where to find the facts !" Albert Einstein. 😉 cheers Doug
marky
(Fleet Admiral!)





Forum Posts: 166
14th Sep 2017 13:15  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/33137

need more pictures ,re the wolraad ,worked on the building of this magnificent ship as an apprentice and was lucky enough to be on the sea trials and some pictures would rekindle happy memories

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)





Forum Posts: 1088
14th Sep 2017 14:39  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/33141

Heartily agree Marky👍
Another batch of Harbour Posts with no pics and all text - Yaaaawn 🤔


"The brain is not intended to store facts. It is for thinking, and for knowing where to find the facts !" Albert Einstein. 😉 cheers Doug
Dave M
(Fleet Admiral!)





Forum Posts: 1403
29th Sep 2017 10:28  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/33810

Just to clarify where best to post your entries:
There are four major areas to the website:

Forum - Where any question can be asked and answered.

Photo Gallery - Post photos of your boats and comment on others.

Video Gallery - Upload video clips, show how your models ride on the water!

Build Blogs - Record your build progress and print out your own booklet at the end! Fantastic keep sake.

But also!
Harbour - Members are given their own harbour, where you can store the boats you have and record how they're their setup. Everyones harbour is published online so you can then compare various different setups and performances.

Model Boat Clubs - Are you part of a model boat club? Or do you sail at any of the model boat lakes? If so, add yourself as a sailor!

Events - Here you can keep track of what events are up and coming, or add new events!

Model Shop - A few companies list products here that help with boat building, why not check them out? It could be a good place to start if you're after a new project too!

Dave


Live long and prosper

Dave
figtree7nts
(Fleet Admiral!)





Forum Posts: 331
1st Nov 2017 10:36  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/35196

Greetings to all Members,
Please note wait to post in boat harbor entries, until you have a picture to go along with your Boat entry! Members love to see what Boat is being spoken about....


"Fair winds calm Seas"
RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)





Forum Posts: 1088
1st Nov 2017 22:10  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/35219

Well said Figtree, Dave M and I have tried to get this message over but still these useless entries come! This one shortly after your post!
'Beatrice Maud' by ModelHover. Very little info, no pic or description, ship type etc. Yawn yawn! Greetings Doug 😎


"The brain is not intended to store facts. It is for thinking, and for knowing where to find the facts !" Albert Einstein. 😉 cheers Doug
figtree7nts
(Fleet Admiral!)





Forum Posts: 331
2nd Nov 2017 00:57  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/35222

Hi Doug,
Not sure why people are posting Harbour Entries without photos!
Maybe they don't know any better! It should be a requirement to have a picture before you can post to Harbour Entries. I'm looking into having it as a requirement. must bring this up to the attention of Fireboat....


"Fair winds calm Seas"
RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)





Forum Posts: 1088
2nd Nov 2017 01:34  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/35226

Absolutely👍 I was thinking the same thing.
Cheers Doug 😎


"The brain is not intended to store facts. It is for thinking, and for knowing where to find the facts !" Albert Einstein. 😉 cheers Doug
Dave M
(Fleet Admiral!)





Forum Posts: 1403
2nd Nov 2017 01:48  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/35227

Hi Doug and figtree7nts
The site is relatively rule free and whilst it is preferable if people post pics of their models it is not a requirement.
Once you start introducing requirements you risk stopping people from posting. Plus not everyone may have a pic in electronic format.
It is very helpful if details of the motor/prop/battery/ESC etc set up are given as this helps others decide what to use with their boat.
The actual Boat Harbour section is a private area for members to post details of their models.
I do not believe it is up to others to dictate what details they choose to share


Live long and prosper

Dave
figtree7nts
(Fleet Admiral!)





Forum Posts: 331
2nd Nov 2017 10:32  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/35228

Ok Dave M, I agree with you!
I just thought maybe the members would start to post with picture of their boats attached! Oh well never mind, I see your point.


"Fair winds calm Seas"
Dave M
(Fleet Admiral!)





Forum Posts: 1403
2nd Nov 2017 11:00  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/35229

Hi figrees7nts
I do agree it would be really helpful if Harbour Posts did have a picture of the boat. It does show others what is possible and encourage them to post details of their model(s).

We have many new members who use mobiles and Tablets and I do know Stephen intends to make the pic posting process possible but there are outside bodies involved in amending the code for all users so it can take time.

Perhaps it would be more constructive if we were to help those who are posting without a pic or details to guide them through the process and perhaps identify any site issues that might need addressing.

I am just as keen as you and Doug are to improve the site but sometimes the answer we seek needs a bit more research to understand the issues involved.

I will start a new topic in the Forum specifically aimed at starting a discussion on issues members have in posting their pictures and see what is revealed.


Live long and prosper

Dave
figtree7nts
(Fleet Admiral!)





Forum Posts: 331
2nd Nov 2017 11:28  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/35232

Hi Dave M
I love the Idea of posting a topic in the Forum!
Maybe we can write the instructions. on how to upload and post pictures in the Harbour Entries even other areas of the Website.
I look forward to reading such a topic.

Ed


"Fair winds calm Seas"
Fireboat
(Fleet Admiral!)





Forum Posts: 257
2nd Nov 2017 11:28  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/35233

I'm inclined to agree with Dave. Whilst it can be made mandatory to have a photo, the website would only block the post at the final step (clicking Submit). I think it would be very frustrating having filled in everything else to be blocked from posting because of having no photo.

There is also a problem on Android preventing people uploading pictures all together, it may explain why some people post without photos. I do plan to fix this, but I'm not the greatest Android developer. What is probably a very easy change to the code I haven't yet figured out. Essentially it's to do with having a webview and not a chromeview. Webview by default ignores upload buttons. If anyone understands what I'm talking about and has ideas to fix it, then do get in touch!

Also worth noting, harbour posts can be edited later and photos added later.

Stephen


🚤
RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)





Forum Posts: 1088
2nd Nov 2017 13:20  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/35234

Agreed Stephen and Dave, no one wants to dictate to anyone! This is a 'fun' site after all.😉
Figtree and I were simply trying to animate folks to supply some useful info (as Dave also tried when I first started this thread) not just a boat name to get some points! At least the boat/ship type (tug, fireboat, Sea ***, whatever ..) would be nice.
It's so frustrating and disappointing to see a Harbour Post notification, go online, and then find that there's little or no info and no pic 🤔
As a first step how about modifying the 'Add your model boat button', see example in the attached pics!
Cheers Doug 😎


Attached Files - Click To View Large


"The brain is not intended to store facts. It is for thinking, and for knowing where to find the facts !" Albert Einstein. 😉 cheers Doug
RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)





Forum Posts: 1088
2nd Nov 2017 18:52  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/35241

Another suggestion, just an idea! 😎
Happy coding!
BTW: I have heard that there are several compatibility issues with the latest webview and the older Android OSs. 5.0 Lollipop is recommended I believe. Maybe that explains some difficulties with smartphones?


Attached Files - Click To View Large


"The brain is not intended to store facts. It is for thinking, and for knowing where to find the facts !" Albert Einstein. 😉 cheers Doug