Cookies used in this website are gluten free, wheat free and dairy free. By using this website you agree to our use of cookies. More Info
Login Below
Join Us On Social Media!

Get The Model Boats App!
Apple App Store
Android app on Google Play

Help Support This Website
£
or enter custom amount

(Non Contributor)

Help support this free
website and donate.

£285 a year is needed to keep the website and apps online. Please consider donating £5 or more to help towards these fees.
All donations are securely managed through PayPal. Amounts donated are not published online.

Many thanks for your kind support.

Model Boats Website Team

Donation History
August 2017: 9 people
July 2017: 16 people
June 2017: 8 people
May 2017: 8 people
April 2017: 23 people
March 2017: 9 people
February 2017: 12 people
January 2017: 15 people

Unique Visitors This Month

Website Members

Terms and Conditions
Privacy Policy
Advertising
Contact

Model Boats Website
Active Users (6)
Login or Register
To Remove This Ad

Login or Register
To Remove This Ad
>> Home > Forum > Any Other Questions! > Help required please.
Help required please.
(882 views)
chippy
(Chief Petty Officer)

Forum Posts: 20
27th Feb 2017 19:48  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/26328

I'm wondering if anyone has built a model of the Bering motor yacht "Mila"? Drawing MM2068 from my hobby store. There was a short article about it in Model Boats Mag Dec 2011. This will be my next project and will be a plank on frame, but I'm not in a hurry just yet to get it completed. Any help or advice gratefully recieved. Thanks for reading.

Attached Files - Click To View Large

onetenor
(Commander)

Forum Posts: 122
11th Mar 2017 04:04  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/26636

Nice boat. Can I offer a tip. If using balsa planking roll the strips on one side with a pencil or thinnish dowel and the wood will assume a curve which will help accomodate the planks to the curvature of the hull Other woods even plycan be treated like this but will require more pressure from something like a heavy dowel.Damping or using ammonia will help too. Good luck with the build.John👍😁

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 639
10th May 2017 00:45  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/28507

and good luck with the ammonia! Steaming over the kettle works as well, and don't stink. 😎

"Retirement is when you stop living at work -
and start working at living/boat modeling!" 舰队的海军上将 😉 Doug
RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

10th May 2017 00:46  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/28508

PS: and it's 'free' and you get a cuppa with it as well! 😉😎

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

10th May 2017 01:49  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/28511

By the way! Rolling the dowel is not essential. In fact my experience is that slowly swiping along the plank with pressure against a hard underlay works very well. A bit like sharpening a kitchen knife! As you progress and the plank starts to take shape coordinate the swipe with lifting the free end of the plank. Especially useful for the bow end where the curvature is more pronounced. Practice makes perfect! 😎

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

10th May 2017 01:58  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/28512

Hmmm! The original is plastic, so why not try a GRP or vacuum moulded hull instead? 😎 Plank on frame is a lot of work. What's more important the building or the sailing? The 'bait digging or the fishing!'!? 😎

Westquay
(Captain)

Forum Posts: 180
10th May 2017 10:44  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/28517

Oi! We ain't all on a nice Navy pension, Mr. I am now thinking like you about digging or fishing, but half the hull moulders are either gone or going and them as are left are horrendously expensive!
So knocking a hull together is our only chance.

Martin

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

10th May 2017 11:17  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/28518

Hi Martin, Neither am I ! Just the standard German pension and some fag money from the company here. Still waiting for an answer from the British pension people about the 15 years I worked in UK 🤔
So I appreciate your point. 😎

Westquay
(Captain)

10th May 2017 11:33  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/28522

Judging by your username I assumed you'd been in the Navy, hence a nice pension.
I only have enough to cover petrol if we go nowhere further than shopping! Frankly I stopped paying into that one so early I'm surprised we get that much!

M

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

10th May 2017 11:37  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/28524

Nope! The user name occurred to me while sailing HMS Hotspur on the Ostpark lake here. Hope I'm not breaking any rules! 😎

Westquay
(Captain)

10th May 2017 11:49  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/28526

I do hope you are breaking rules somewhere every day. Or I'd be very disappointed in you.https://model-boats.com/media/np/s/200/1494413382

Martin

Attached Files - Click To View Large

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

10th May 2017 12:37  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/28531

Great logo 👍
Don't worry, with the German passion for regulating everything you can't leave the house with accidentally committing some sort of 'Ordnungswidrigkeit'!
At work I used to bend the rules and short circuit procedures all the time, only way to get things done before the customer lost patience and went elsewhere. Some controllers mumbled about it but my bosses kept them off my back and left me alone cos it worked! The last 10 years I became the firefighter. All good fun 😎

Westquay
(Captain)

10th May 2017 12:59  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/28534

That badge was designed by a bloke who you would think was the typical model boater, rather than a sympathiser with Anarchism.

The reason the Germans hired so many contractors in their car industry is because, like you, we got on with it and didn't piddle about making fixtures and jigs, We just did it. All 200 odd English and American contractors o hand tools in the studio and computers in the offices. When I left my last German contract the two German lads I worked with made a sign that said in mimic of their own accent, "FU** ZE RULES" and put it above the only entry door to our small studio. One of them was the singer in a Thrash metal band, but was a big friendly giant really. He came over for my daughter's 21st birthday and fell in love with Woodforde's Wherry bitter and Fish'n'chips!
Happy days.
All pooterised now.

Martin

Delboy
(Petty Officer)

Forum Posts: 12
10th May 2017 20:11  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/28569

Ha ha! I once crossed the road in Munich without using the pedestrian crossing and had a rolled umbrella waggled at me by an elderly lady for being a bad example fur die junge leute.
They do love their rules in Bavaria.

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

10th May 2017 20:24  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/28573

Tell me about it! 👍Sounds very familiar 😎

chippy
(Chief Petty Officer)

Forum Posts: 20
29th May 2017 13:44  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/29448

Many thanks to Phil Button for copying the article and drawings then posting them all over to me. I've made a start but it will be a long project as time is limited.