Cookies used in this website are gluten free, wheat free and dairy free. By using this website you agree to our use of cookies. More Info
Login Below
Join Us On Social Media!

Get The Model Boats App!
Apple App Store
Android app on Google Play

Help Support This Website
£
or enter custom amount

(Non Contributor)

Help support this free
website and donate.

£285 a year is needed to keep the website and apps online. Please consider donating £5 or more to help towards these fees.
All donations are securely managed through PayPal. Amounts donated are not published online.

Many thanks for your kind support.

Model Boats Website Team

Donation History
June 2017: 6 people
May 2017: 8 people
April 2017: 23 people
March 2017: 9 people
February 2017: 12 people
January 2017: 37 people
December 2016: 2 people
November 2016: 2 people
October 2016: 1 person

Unique Visitors This Month

Website Members

Terms and Conditions
Privacy Policy
Advertising
Contact

Model Boats Website
Active Users (22)
Login or Register
To Remove This Ad

Login or Register
To Remove This Ad
>> Home > Forum > Any Other Questions! > Huge liner model from 1929
Huge liner model from 1929
(315 views)
wunwinglo
(Petty Officer)

Forum Posts: 5
5th Jun 2017 05:51  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/29716

I often visit the British Pathe site, which has an archive of over 60,000 film clips covering an infinite range of subjects, going back to the beginning of the 20th century. I have wasted many hours looking at it. However, if you visit the site and punch in Miniature Mariners, (www.britishpathe.com/video/miniaturemariners/query/miniature+mariners), you will find an interesting selection from 1929, that includes the still extant Victoria Park Club running a hydroplane with a huge audience. The clips finish with a truly awesome liner model of about 40 feet length and apparently sea-going. The information board ( it was a silent film in 1929) tells us very little: it is French and 40 foot long. I know that it is a long time ago and French but do any other sailors know more about this?

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 412
5th Jun 2017 08:56  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/29726

RC boats go further back than the twenties!!
Nicola Tesla was at it in 1898 ! 😉
"In 1898, Tesla demonstrated a radio-controlled boat (U.S. Patent 613,809 —Method of an Apparatus for Controlling Mechanism of Moving Vehicle or Vehicles)."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radio-controlled_boat
Interesting set of links at the bottom of this article. 👍
Cheers Doug 😎

Attached Files - Click To View Large

"Retirement is when you stop living at work -
and start working at living!" 😉 Doug
wunwinglo
(Petty Officer)

6th Jun 2017 00:05  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/29790

Hi Doug,
looking at the clip closely, I am not at all sure that any r/c was involved with the French model. I suspect it may have been 'manned'. Whatever the case, it was a major project and a very good model for its day. What I would really like to know is who built it or paid for it and what happened to it? Did it survive the war? Charlie

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

6th Jun 2017 00:53  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/29795

Hi Charlie, I suspect you're right! A 40 footer would have plenty of room and displacement capacity for a crew. I too would like to know more, an interesting research project 😉
Possibly a film prop? James Cameron did something similar with a 50 footer I think for 'Titanic'.
Also, here in Munich I have visited the Bavaria Film Studios and seen (and been inside!) the various scale 'models' of the type VII U Boat they built for 'Das Boot'.

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

6th Jun 2017 12:06  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/29825

Here's another nice one, HMS Renown 1:120 and a destroyer, both with firing guns!! Also from the twenties. Astounding 👍 😎

http://www.britishpathe.com/video/dryland-skippers-a-fascina...

wunwinglo
(Petty Officer)

6th Jun 2017 16:15  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/29833

Thanks for the heads-up on that clip. The Renown may not be quite as large but really impressive, again especially for the day. Anyone know anything about this model?

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

6th Jun 2017 17:02  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/29836

Hi WW! There's a lot of fascinating stuff on that site, 👍 Search 'models' and you get a lot of interesting mini aircraft, cars, tanks, complete towns (e.g. Bristol!), ships, and some pretty ladies modelling this and that! 😉
Could get addictive!

I'd very much like to know what they used for for the 'bangs'!?
I recently bought some magicians Flash Paper for the guns on my 1:72 destroyer, and 1:128 Graf Spee and HMS Belfast, which I intend to fire using redundant glow-plugs from my helicopter days in the distant past.
Wish me luck! Cheers Doug 😎
BTW I managed to download the Renown clip and the Liner, but the Liner clip jumps and staggers with lots of artefacts so couldn't see enough detail to start identifying 🤔 The Renown clip works OK 😉

Commodore-H
(Sub-Lieutenant)

Forum Posts: 11
6th Jun 2017 20:25  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/29840

Flash paper guns

Commodore-H
(Sub-Lieutenant)

Forum Posts: 11
6th Jun 2017 20:33  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/29841

I have a firing gun on my asheville class gunboat. I live in the u.s. and i use the powder for the flash pan of blackpowder gun. It is readily available.
You need very little and it makes a nice bang with flash and smoke. I wad it with a tiny piece of paper towel and ignite it with a glowplug. The barrel is spring mounted so it recolls back when fired to complete the effect. You need to careful when building and operating this type of thing.

wunwinglo
(Petty Officer)

7th Jun 2017 07:25  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/29856

I have never had any problems watching the liner clip. Thanks guys for the pyrotechnic information - I have had similar thoughts and experiment with increased confidence! Back to the plot though - anybody know any more about either the liner or Renown?

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

7th Jun 2017 07:46  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/29857

Hi WW, I don't have problems watching the stream either, just the downloaded version 🤔

Hi Commodore, black powder may be freely available in the US (as are automatic weapons🤔) but Europeans are more conservative with such things, especially in the light of recent attacks!
For instance, in Germany (I'm in Munich) fireworks are only sold for a few days just before New Years Eve.
Any tips on the construction of your barrels would be most welcome👍
Cheers Doug 😎