Cookies used in this website are gluten free, wheat free and dairy free. By using this website you agree to our use of cookies. More Info
Guest
Login Below
Join Us On Social Media!
   
Get The Model Boats App!
Apple App Store
Android app on Google Play


Help Support This Website
£
or enter custom amount

(Non Contributor)

Help support this free
website and donate.



£285 a year is needed to keep the website and apps online. Please consider donating £5 or more to help towards these fees.
All donations are securely managed through PayPal. Amounts donated are not published online.

Many thanks for your kind support.

Model Boats Website Team


Donation History
December 2017: 2 people
November 2017: 13 people
October 2017: 9 people
September 2017: 15 people
August 2017: 10 people
July 2017: 16 people
June 2017: 8 people
May 2017: 8 people
April 2017: 19 people


Unique Visitors This Month

Website Members

Terms and Conditions
Privacy Policy
Advertising
Contact


Model Boats Website
Active Users (9)
Login or Register
To Remove This Ad

Login or Register
To Remove This Ad
>> Home > Forum > Any Other Questions! > Hobby Engine Richardson Upgrade
Hobby Engine Richardson Upgrade
(1820 views)
Author Message
NPJ
(Captain)





Forum Posts: 70
24th Sep 2017 14:25  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/33526

Before I start stripping bits out of this Tug Boat I thought I should ask if any members have already been through this model.

Having used it only once, it feel it needs a better transmitter/receiver, larger battery, improved sound and smoke and maybe motors controlled separately.

Anyone "been there done that"...............?

NPJ


NPJ
jarvo
(Fleet Admiral!)





Forum Posts: 496
24th Sep 2017 17:50  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/33533

Hi there NP. Where do you want to start, I have converted several Richardson / Southampton, tugs. The first thing is do you want independant motor control, not found that i made a deal of difference, I now fit 1 ESC for both motors. Sound, when sailing you can't hear it, you can't hear most sound systems more than a few yards out, can be fixed but heavy so be careful, Smoke, in reality, smoke shows that the engines or injectors need servicing, on the model, try a computer cooling fan, the small ones to blow the smoke up the funnels. Better radio system, YES, which one your choice, but by a 6 or more channel system. Battery, a 7.2v buggy type NmHi pack will fit under the stern hatch, (just) or in place of the smaller battery under the front hatch, weight is not a problem, just get the balance right. I have altered the control cabin on 2 of my models, moved forward to the edge of the lower cabin, removing the steps down to the deck, also repositioning the funnels into different locations, ! model further back and the other the funnels were cut down and fitted to the top of the air intake casings, with a firefighting gantry across the top of them.

In short, TX / RX upgrade, ESC, single or twin, 3300mah Battery last for hours, anything else, up to you.

Hope this gives you some ideas. PS when cutting the wiring keep the motor wires as long as possible, i cheated and fitted the battery leads with a Mini Tamiya / Standard Tamiya converter

Regards

Mark


Etherow Model Boat Club
NPJ
(Captain)





Forum Posts: 70
24th Sep 2017 19:46  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/33536

Mark. Thank you so much for all of that.

Too much for me to take in tonight, but sounds like spot on advice for my project.

Good of you to give the time.

I will get back to you when I have had chance to think it all through.

Many thanks.
NPJ


NPJ
Rallyst
(Seaman)





Forum Posts: 1
24th Sep 2017 21:55  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/33542

Just reading through all of the above, I have a Richardson tug and thought, you know, it does all of the above straight out of the box,and everyone in my club,(bournville) loves it, so why change it?! It's fun, has lots of features and always gets the most comments from bystanders! I love it and wouldn't change a thing, only thing I have done is buy 4 x 2600mah battery packs for longer running time (gives me at least an hour a pack)
It's even survived being landed on by a rather large Canada goose and spending 10 minutes inverted and taking on water! All features survived and lived in to sail another day! 👍

jarvo
(Fleet Admiral!)





Forum Posts: 496
24th Sep 2017 23:52  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/33557

Hi Rallyst, I agree with you, but the radio gear supplied is not the greatest, I have bought all mine of ebay 1 had no transmitter and the other 2 on 27mh broke down within a short while, so nothing lost, my Richardson is still going strong, but will be re-fitting with Futaba gear, just so i only carry 1 transmitter

Regards

Mark


Etherow Model Boat Club
NPJ
(Captain)





Forum Posts: 70
25th Sep 2017 13:04  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/33579

Rallyst, thanks for the comments. Sounds as though your Richardson nearly had it's goose cooked...................

I understand what you are saying, but I can never just 'leave well alone' !

I am with you on the batteries bit and going to talk with Jarvo on the rest.

I would hope we will all keep in touch as 'things' progress.

All the best.

NPJ.


NPJ
NPJ
(Captain)





Forum Posts: 70
25th Sep 2017 13:20  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/33581

Jarvo
Do not know if this is how I get back to you!

If you are prepared for more questions....................

I felt the tranny was 'poor' with the model and I cannot add it to the one I use with the Smaragd sailboat as I need the tug as a 'recovery boat' so would want both transmitters to be functioning.

I will go for the 6 channel receiver and upgrade tranny as well as the larger batteries as you have both (Rallyst) suggested.

Do you agree that the boat can afford to sit lower in the water and would you put CoG in the middle or slightly toward the stern?

Please do say if you do not have the time to be pestered like this!

All the best Mark.

Neville


NPJ
jarvo
(Fleet Admiral!)





Forum Posts: 496
25th Sep 2017 20:48  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/33601

Hay Neville, don't say things like 'pestered' we all join this and other forums to get help and to give advice, i'm not the worlds greatest modeler, but i have been around for a good while, in many different types of models, air, sea and land.
Nev, be careful sitting the hull lower in the water, she does not have a massive freeboard, with the bigger/heavier battery she will sit slightly lower.
As for the Radio gear, I have Futaba, always have, expensive ish, but i like the way they handle!!!, If you look on ebay you can find reasonable gear from £30 ish, my futaba T6J is about £75 ish, lot of guys at my club swear by Frsky. Your choice. Look at the price of the extra receivers.
CoG, battery forward or aft does not seem to affect the balance but i use 3300mah buggy packs so they are 2 - 3 time heavier than the standard AA cell pack. Battery forward can cause cavitation if you go full astern but normal sailing is good, if you want to tug tow, this is the way, battery aft gives the ultimate control, but with slightly less freeboard so running in choppy water might cause a bit of swamping, again your choice and/or water conditions.

Just remember the only silly question is the one you did not ask!!!!

Regards

Mark


Etherow Model Boat Club
RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)





Forum Posts: 1121
25th Sep 2017 22:07  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/33606

Hear hear! Right on Mark👍
Neville; That's what we are all here for - give and take. 😉
No one knows everything, and everyone has discovered / learned something useful at one time or another that he can share.
Happy upgrading, I shall be watching for tips for my Southampton upgrade 😊, cheers Doug 😎


"The brain is not intended to store facts. It is for thinking, and for knowing where to find the facts !" Albert Einstein. 😉 cheers Doug
NPJ
(Captain)





Forum Posts: 70
26th Sep 2017 10:50  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/33630

Good morning folks.

Well a few (3)decisions taken on advice:-

Futaba Tranny 6 channel and receiver

Larger battery pack, going with NiMh rather than Lipo

That gives me something to do in the bottom of the boat when I take the lid off....................

All this started with tidying up the Smaragd sail boat, so seem to have lost track a bit. However, Tug Boat much easier to manage on the bench and if I have you chaps helping over my shoulder, I am happy!

Next two questions to those using/used such boats.

What about having independent motor drives to improve maneuverability ?

Increase size of rudders?

I must now go and spend some money!

Regards to all.

NPJ.


NPJ
jarvo
(Fleet Admiral!)





Forum Posts: 496
26th Sep 2017 15:04  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/33643

Hi Neville, Independent motors, handy but the effect is not brilliant, i use one ESC, but again its up to you, 2 ESC's and a mixer, getting complicated for a first tug!!!

Larger Rudders, not needed really, they are pretty maneuverable as standard, however!! they dont go astern very well depending on the wind they are poor, direction is haphazard at best. (great fun, which way will it go???)

SEE great questions.

Regards

Mark


Etherow Model Boat Club
RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)





Forum Posts: 1121
26th Sep 2017 16:06  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/33644

Have been considering this for my Southampton.
Don't want tank steering though, since I sail in a Biergarten I need to keep one hand free for the Bierkrug!😉
So I decided to try the Action Electronics P94 dual ESC and rudder mixer all in one module! From Component Shop these days. Can be easily set in one of 4 modes. See pic.
NOTE: Brushed motors ONLY!!
Not fitted yet, still busy with Sea Scout and PT Boat. The module may yet end up in my Destroyer!
Cheers Doug 😎


Attached Files - Click To View Large


"The brain is not intended to store facts. It is for thinking, and for knowing where to find the facts !" Albert Einstein. 😉 cheers Doug
jarvo
(Fleet Admiral!)





Forum Posts: 496
26th Sep 2017 16:33  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/33646

Hi Doug, like your choice but you might struggle on the space beneath the deck, they do run well with just 1 ESC and plenty of space for the battery

Regards

Mark


Etherow Model Boat Club
Dave M
(Fleet Admiral!)





Forum Posts: 1427
26th Sep 2017 16:58  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/33649

Hi Doug
I have to agree with Mark. The Club was donated a completed model and it was very restricted space inside. As mark says it sails OK with one ESC and there was even room for a switcher unit for lights.
Your Destroyer would benefit installation, especially if youu other hand is engaged with litre jug of the gold nectar!


Live long and prosper

Dave
RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)





Forum Posts: 1121
26th Sep 2017 17:05  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/33651

Hi Mark, (and Dave)! hear where you're coming from! 👍
Mine is the original (or 2nd gen?) version with 40MHz and a piddly 7.2V 800mAh NiMh. And no 'special FX' 🤔
So I propose to use one of my pico 40Meg RXs and chop out all the then useless thick plastic trays. Velcro is enough for the miniature stuff I want to fit. Should then have less 'space problem' 😉
I will also fit a 2S LiPo, 4000mAh and the ESC/Mixer board.
That's the first stage, after that smoke generator (and engine servicing kit Mark😉) can go in the lower superstructure, also a few lights and see how we go! Diesel sound also a possibility, have some small sound transducers from HobbyKing which work as hull resonators. Tip from one of the Fireboat drivers👍
All 'down the line', Sea Scout and PT Boat are ahead in the queue!
Cheers Doug 😎
PS I'm talking about the Southampton not Richardson, maybe that has less below deck space?


"The brain is not intended to store facts. It is for thinking, and for knowing where to find the facts !" Albert Einstein. 😉 cheers Doug
Dave M
(Fleet Admiral!)





Forum Posts: 1427
26th Sep 2017 19:38  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/33661

Hi Doug
Not sure which version we had. It looked very similar to the original Southampton tug but did have a removeable cabin so was newish.
This is a small tug and I still think you will struggle to get everything in
Good luck when you get round to building!
Dave


Live long and prosper

Dave
NPJ
(Captain)





Forum Posts: 70
26th Sep 2017 19:47  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/33662

So OK sounds like one ESC at least for starters and leave rudders alone.

I will try and 'help' smoke with a small fan unless no room for it and the sound system is still on my list.

Will order ESC tomorrow. Is anything special recommended?

All the best.

NPJ


NPJ
RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)





Forum Posts: 1121
26th Sep 2017 20:44  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/33668

Hi Dave, you may well be right! But that's half the fun ain't it?😉
Already done some dry fitting trials of pico RX and micro-Viper (for single ESC running) and the LiPo battery. So far so good. still some original plastic tray to be chopped out. Haven't done a test tank (domestic variant😉) balance/loading trial yet though!
Yes, mine also has the removable cabin, and a fairly large hatch in the work-deck. The cabin of course I immediately took apart to see where the smoke genny could go. The genny is one of the mini jobs borrowed from the 'iron way' bods😉 Could maybe squeeze two in?? But that's for a later stage.
Just got sidetracked by building an 88 deck gun for U26, lots a luverly fiddlin😲 DHL just told me my 37mm for the PT boat is arriving tomorrow. Not bad, I only ordered it this morning. Excellent service from Ralf at Modellbau-Koenig!👍👍👍 Must have a look if he's got a 2cm for the gallery of the U Boat.
Lots to do, keeps the few remaining grey cells alive😊
Happy building people, don't stick anything which shouldn't be😡😲 Cheers Doug 😎


"The brain is not intended to store facts. It is for thinking, and for knowing where to find the facts !" Albert Einstein. 😉 cheers Doug
NPJ
(Captain)





Forum Posts: 70
27th Sep 2017 19:46  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/33718

They say " whatever floats your boat" so today I did just that with the Tug in the bath..................

I compared the affect the new battery 'buggy type' 3300 on water line with the standard battery.

Although three times heavier, the larger battery seemed to make only slight difference when placed in the centre, fore and aft.

Whether I can move stuff to put it there is another matter. Same with the computer fan. But worth a try I think.

So next bit of available time needs spending on really doing some damage inside!

NPJ


NPJ
NPJ
(Captain)





Forum Posts: 70
28th Sep 2017 20:34  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/33772

The bits and pieces have started to arrive today. I am very impatient - spoilt only child so want it all NOW..............

Having issues with sound system decision. Plenty of types around, but do not know which will suit best. Any views?

Also where to source mini Tamiya/Standard Tamiya converters.

Also be interested to see how Doug's P94 dual ESC and rudder mixer fits and works.

Cheers all.

NPJ


NPJ
RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)





Forum Posts: 1121
28th Sep 2017 21:07  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/33776

Hi Neil, I know the feeling, but Gently Bentley! 😉
What do you want your sound system to do?
there are simple single sound boards e.g for motor sound; diesel, petrol, steam in various types, sirens - operated by a simple servo/micro switch/relay system or full blown programmable modules where you can load your own .WAV format sounds. There are thousands on the electronic spider web!
Several years ago I built a CMOS driven relay board so I could operate four functions from one proportional channel: destroyer siren (Whoop Whoop!), smoke, lights, fog horn. Was a home made PCB about 4" square!
Nowadays one mini module will do all that and much more; Plug and Play, plus you can load your own sound files from the PC, but is that so satisfying?? Another debate😉
Cheers Doug 😎
PS for some inspiration have a look at the Component Shop site under Action Electronics; sound! I've just bought the Asdic sound board for my destroyer; test report follows. 😉


"The brain is not intended to store facts. It is for thinking, and for knowing where to find the facts !" Albert Einstein. 😉 cheers Doug
RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)





Forum Posts: 1121
28th Sep 2017 21:38  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/33778

OK! I'll bump Southampton up the 'To Do' list! 😎


"The brain is not intended to store facts. It is for thinking, and for knowing where to find the facts !" Albert Einstein. 😉 cheers Doug
RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)





Forum Posts: 1121
28th Sep 2017 21:50  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/33780

BTW: I wouldn't bother with the Tamiya converters, just another potential 'point of failure'. Decide on your 'standard' connector, chop off the wrong one and fit the right one!
Have just been faced with the same dilemma; different batteries with different connectors. Have decided as follows:-
High current XT60,
Medium (~10A max) Tamiya mini,
Plastic Magic mini red BEC.
ALL gold plated!
Cheers Doug 😎


"The brain is not intended to store facts. It is for thinking, and for knowing where to find the facts !" Albert Einstein. 😉 cheers Doug
jarvo
(Fleet Admiral!)





Forum Posts: 496
29th Sep 2017 00:13  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/33793

Hi Doug, now that your bits have arrived, plan your fit out, remember the battery needs to be in a place where it can be easily removed, don't charge in the hull, as for the mini Tamiya plugs, i bought converter plugs from ebay, female to male.

RN makes a good point, if you standardise on 1 plug system it is so much easier, i am in the process of changing all my batteries to the XT60 system, Lipo and NiMh, mini Tamiya are good for 10 amps, Tamiya at about 15 amps, XT60, about 60 amps, other plug systems are available, Deans etc, often it is the connectors which cause the problems.

Mark


Etherow Model Boat Club
RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)





Forum Posts: 1121
29th Sep 2017 00:43  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/33795

Hi Mark, you are sooooo right! 👍
That's why after much irritation, toing and froing and soldering with various connectors I settled on the 3 variants I list above for the types of models I build.
For the plastic magic weight was the main consideration not current! On some mini models I will probably use direct soldered connection to save the weight of plugs and sockets. Yes, it CAN make a difference in a 15" model😉
From 45 years of electronic engineering I learned-
1 Keep the parts count down to reduce the potential MTBF (Mean Time Between Failures), REF: MIL-STD Handbook 217! 😉
2 Eliminate non-essential components to keep production costs down!
I find that these principles apply equally well to model building!
I NEVER charge any battery regardless of type in the model!
Would be a bit impractical with some of the longer hulls anyway, would block the electrics bench 🤔
Seems the LiPo pack could fit between the prop shafts in the Southampton. Access through the work deck hatch. Pico RX is no problem, biggest item is then the P94 dual ESC/mixer at 74mm. If I remove the original plastic trays this should also go in!
Report soon. Oh yeh! Usual problem, what do I do first??
Ta muchy for your interest and advice, much appreciated👍
Cheers and Goodnight from Munch, now 01:45 here, way past my beddie-byes time! Doug 😎


"The brain is not intended to store facts. It is for thinking, and for knowing where to find the facts !" Albert Einstein. 😉 cheers Doug
jarvo
(Fleet Admiral!)





Forum Posts: 496
29th Sep 2017 10:00  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/33806

Hi Doug, your LiPo pack will fit with room to spare between the prop shafts, a 7.2 NiMh pack just fits up to the gearbox, clearing the rear hatch lock is a problem, removed the underside of the catch and fitted a turnbuckle to hold the hatch closed.
Take care removing the moulded plastic trays, they form part of the hull strength, only cut till you have clearance, not right down to the inner hull, (guess how i found out!!!)
Mark


Etherow Model Boat Club
RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)





Forum Posts: 1121
29th Sep 2017 10:53  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/33813

Hi Mark, many thanks, good tips 👍
Think I'll remove the rear hatch lock completely and hold the hatch down with neodymium magnets.
Re Plastic Trays; Don't even want to think about how you found out! 😡Thanks for the warning👍 I'll go careful and maybe add a semi-bulkhead stiffener!? Cheers Doug 😎


"The brain is not intended to store facts. It is for thinking, and for knowing where to find the facts !" Albert Einstein. 😉 cheers Doug
NPJ
(Captain)





Forum Posts: 70
29th Sep 2017 12:50  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/33820

Mark and Doug.

Following your posts is really helpful.

In the sound department I am just looking for diesel sound that will follow throttle and a good horn.

Marks point about reducing the 'plastic' is important. I was going to do that as I had not thought of the consequences.........Thanks Mark.

BTW, should I now move to another place on the site as I will be talking cutting,screwing and sticking after tonight?

All the best both.

NPJ


NPJ
RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)





Forum Posts: 1121
29th Sep 2017 13:08  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/33821

Hi Neil, we're glad to help.
OK, then it's time to start a Build Blog! 👍
For the diesel sound check this
http://www.componentshop.co.uk/p63-micro-diesel-engine-sound...
or here for Horns and other 'bells and whistles' !! 😉
http://www.componentshop.co.uk/action-electronics/other-soun...
There's also a selection of amps!
I have their ASDIC sound board to go into my destroyer.
(Stupid spell checker wanted to change that to Aspic!!!😡)
Happy browsing, cheers Doug 😎


"The brain is not intended to store facts. It is for thinking, and for knowing where to find the facts !" Albert Einstein. 😉 cheers Doug
jarvo
(Fleet Admiral!)





Forum Posts: 496
29th Sep 2017 17:19  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/33834

Hi Neil, as RN says, switch to a build blog, that doesn't mean you're on your own, we can still assist and guide you, plus we can see photos as you progress, helps others along the way

Mark


Etherow Model Boat Club
NPJ
(Captain)





Forum Posts: 70
29th Sep 2017 20:21  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/33838

Thanks for that Mark.

I will have a go at some images etc over the week-end (I hope).

Why did you move the bridge/ structures on yours?

All the best.

NPJ


NPJ
NPJ
(Captain)





Forum Posts: 70
29th Sep 2017 21:05  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/33840

RN............

I have gone for a combined product from Mtroniks. Do you know it?

Will start on the 'build over the week-end.

NPJ


NPJ
RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)





Forum Posts: 1121
29th Sep 2017 21:55  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/33842

Hi Neil, I only know / have used the mini-Viper marine 10A ESCs. How do mean 'combined'? In their portfolio I only found a 'Combo ESC + motor'. Nothing about dual ESC + Mixer!?
Cheers Doug 😎


"The brain is not intended to store facts. It is for thinking, and for knowing where to find the facts !" Albert Einstein. 😉 cheers Doug
RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)





Forum Posts: 1121
29th Sep 2017 22:20  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/33843

Hi again Neil, did you mean their sound modules? Something like this?
http://www.mtroniks.net/prod/Sound-Systems-For-Scale-Models/...
Don't know these anyway🤔 Up to now I've used simple analogue sound boards (some home made) and microswitch /or relay control.
Also have a Graupner programmable sound system in my stash, destined for Ark Royal. Doug 😎
Doug 😎


Attached Files - Click To View Large


"The brain is not intended to store facts. It is for thinking, and for knowing where to find the facts !" Albert Einstein. 😉 cheers Doug
NPJ
(Captain)





Forum Posts: 70
30th Sep 2017 07:36  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/33862

RN.
Combined as in horn and engine in one sealed unit. Trouble is that the engine sound stops when horn is operated........

The one you sent the image of.

Best I have seen so far.

All the best.

Neville


NPJ
jarvo
(Fleet Admiral!)





Forum Posts: 496
30th Sep 2017 09:03  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/33863

HI Neville, why did i move the bridge, Ha. the main reason was to make my boat different to the standard, i cut away the staircase and a small part of the railing, re-drilled the mounting holes and basically that was it, i have 4 of these, so each one is different, none except Richardson have the stairs, the first i re-painted in Smit colors, second was like the first but only removed the name and re-named as Itchen Marine Wyforce, using vinyl decals i had made, the third re-painted in Wiesmuller colours, but with the funnels re-located on top of the air intakes with a firefighting bridge across with 2 fire nozzles, they all get a lot of interest, cost very little to alter but are different.

Mark


Etherow Model Boat Club
NPJ
(Captain)





Forum Posts: 70
30th Sep 2017 10:58  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/33871

Jarvo

Thank you for that. Now I see the point. I had wondered if it was to do with weight/balance.
BTW have decided to give the Futarba tranny to the yacht Smaragd and the TGYi6s to the Tug Boat!

Neville


NPJ
jarvo
(Fleet Admiral!)





Forum Posts: 496
30th Sep 2017 11:38  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/33880

Hi Neville, the only advice about balance i would give is keep the heavy stuff right down low in the hull. Richardson is the modern version, 2.4ghz with smoke generator, this is mounted in the lower cabin, and makes her a bit tender to rolling, the battery position does not seem to be a problem as i said earlier, forward seems to make them sail well, rearward keeps the props well down when going astern

Mark


Etherow Model Boat Club
NPJ
(Captain)





Forum Posts: 70
30th Sep 2017 18:07  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/33905

Mark/Doug

Sorry about this but..............

Before I start the 'build' thread, how Do I take the deck off?!

I have removed all visible screws and the two under the stern posts. What have I missed?

I promise I will try to get better.............I can be challenged when changing a toilet roll so it may take time..........

NPJ


NPJ
jarvo
(Fleet Admiral!)





Forum Posts: 496
30th Sep 2017 20:02  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/33911

Neville, toilet rolls, problem, especially if you have a cat!!!.

3 screws at the stern, 1 central 2 at the corners under bollards, leaver up with thin screwdriver.

1 each side of the rear deck hatch.

1 each side opposite the cabin rear hold down bollards screw fitted in inboard side of each one.

1 each side rear of the forward hatch.

1 each side forward hatch, again hidden by bollard screw from side.

3 in the bow area.

PS all screws in the deck are under small plastic plugs, be gentle with them as you want to put them back to seal the deck again.

You should have 14 screws now, the deck is sealed with a gasket, 'O' ring, and what seems like Vaseline, and splits at the rubbing strip just behind the tyre fenders, might need a bit of a pull, going round the hull as you go. Once the deck is off, it is all in front of you.

Looking down into the hull, there is a black battery plate, held down with 4 screws, the receiver and the on/off switch.
I have kept the plate, but cutaway the dividing 'walls' was needed, for the new receiver etc to fit.
It is not big enough for the buggy type battery, so i glued a thin platform on top for the battery to sit on. Battery is held with self adhesive velcro pads to keep it in place.
'Central hull' is the motors and gearbox, follow the long Red and Black wires back to the receiver and cut them as close to the receiver as you can, ready to wire into the ESC, i used a 'chocolate' block, 10ah.
Stearn is the servo and steering linkage, nothing needed here just a smear of grease to lubricate. A couple of drops of oil on the ends of the propshaft won't go amiss.
'Battery position', i have mine on the radio plate, but with care and a little trimming you can fit it across the hull, above the propshafts, or with care between the propshafts, fore and aft. Make sure there is a side plate fitted to stop the battery fouling the rudder servo.

Hope this is clear, don't force the deck be gentle

Mark


Etherow Model Boat Club
NPJ
(Captain)





Forum Posts: 70
30th Sep 2017 21:09  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/33915

Many many thanks for that Mark.

I will look at it tomorrow morning. I am missing quite a few screws in the box at the moment............

Will look harder with you list in my hand.

Certainly enjoying this project.

All the best.

Neville


NPJ
RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)





Forum Posts: 1121
30th Sep 2017 22:55  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/33925

Hi Mark, took me yonks to find them all🤔
I also experimented with battery athwartships, hope for better 'roll control' but eventually settled for between the shafts cos athwartships was too high.
My 'pico' RX (ca. 5x1.5cm😉) can go almost anywhere, with Velcro to hold it in place. The dual ESC can go where the old 800mAh NiMH was.
Later stage: smoke genny and lighting board in the lower superstructure, as apparently also in the latest versions! Mini SMD or strip LEDs for illumination and nav lights, mini 3V geared motor for the radar perhaps.
Don't need a radio channel for this, just a switch and a couple of AA alkaline batts and away you go😉
Although these days you almost never see the antenna cos it's hidden in a 'burger-bun' radome a la Furuno! 😉
Somewhere on the WWW spider web I remember seeing a working towing tackle - must dig out the bookmark, might have been Krick!
Cheers Doug 😎
Glad you're enjoying it Neil, that's the whole point ain't it? 👍


"The brain is not intended to store facts. It is for thinking, and for knowing where to find the facts !" Albert Einstein. 😉 cheers Doug
NPJ
(Captain)





Forum Posts: 70
1st Oct 2017 14:24  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/33965

Found the little devils................Thanks for that.

Later I hope to start properly!

All the best both.

NPJ


NPJ
RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)





Forum Posts: 1121
1st Oct 2017 14:48  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/33971

Power to your screwdriver 👍


"The brain is not intended to store facts. It is for thinking, and for knowing where to find the facts !" Albert Einstein. 😉 cheers Doug
jarvo
(Fleet Admiral!)





Forum Posts: 496
1st Oct 2017 21:16  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/33990

Neville, take your time and have a box with lid to put the bits, strange how they walk around the workshop/house, little buggers appear everywhere.
Lay out your components ESC on the tray??? Battery on the tray or on top? Receiver on the tray??? Are you going to use the moulded cutout for the on/off switch or re-position??? Are you fitting an on/off battery switch? or just pull the plug?
The critical bit is, will the wiring reach!!!! to the receiver? and keep it neat, radio wires kept separate from power wires.

Mark


Etherow Model Boat Club
NPJ
(Captain)





Forum Posts: 70
1st Oct 2017 22:16  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/33993

Thank you again Mark.

I was thinking of trying to set up a waterproof switch accessible above deck. Thought it would be easier when at the 'quayside'.

When some of the other bits arrive I will be in a position to start 'laying out' and looking at the balance.

I will be following advice received here, but will keep asking questions.......

Some bits will not be here until second week in October!

Still plenty to do though.

Have started to keep bits in boxes as you suggested.

Really grateful for all the help. Have taken some images and will start the 'build thread' but seems a bit of a cheat as it is already built.............

Cheers to all.

NPJ


NPJ
jarvo
(Fleet Admiral!)





Forum Posts: 496
1st Oct 2017 22:35  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/33994

Hi Neville, to be real, there is no such thing as a waterproof switch, stay with the switch in the hull, yes its a faff to keep lifting the cab but it does keep the water out.

Cheat on the build thread??? your building it from basic components, take the pickies and post them, not like me who made a complete cods of the whole thing, still cant get my photos on the blog!!!!

Mark


Etherow Model Boat Club
NPJ
(Captain)





Forum Posts: 70
2nd Oct 2017 09:07  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/34002

OK Mark I will give it a real good try...........

NPJ


NPJ
octman
(Captain)





Forum Posts: 99
2nd Oct 2017 15:48  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/34025

I have an old Southampton , off E.Bay a couple of years ago. I fitted the Components shop mixer, 2x 3400mAH NiMh packs(one for each motor)2 Mtroniks 15A Marine vipers, Technobots diesel sound system and also a Technobots 16 channel sound system. There is not a lot of spare space! I had a problem with the mixer eventually. It worked very well, as I did not think the turning circle in the original form was very good. I took it out eventually and went over to tank steering, which is OK but seems to be more effective in turning one way rather than the other, it's fine in a straight line. I found out after I had removed the mixer that the supposed problem was of my own making. So many wires inside that I was not in fact charging one of the battery packs so it ended up flat. Nothing wrong with the mixer at all!
I mounted the engine sound speaker in the lower half of the cabin,where there was just enough room, where the window openings are not glazed(at least on my boat they aren't). Sound was OK but it was a bit lacking in volume, but I may need a higher power speaker, not sure as audio is a non area to me. The 16 channel unit is good in that a micro SD card is supplied with pre- recorded sounds, and instructions are given on how to record your own. The difficulty with this particular sound system is finding somewhere to put the second speaker as the 2 systems cannot be fed into the same speaker. It was a bit faint to say the least,possibly due to the tiny speaker I used. I tried to fit a transducer glued to the underside of the deck but there was no improvement so that is a work in progress.
The inside of the hull resembled a very untidy birds nest!
CHris

Dave M
(Fleet Admiral!)





Forum Posts: 1427
2nd Oct 2017 16:44  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/34028

Hi Chris
Good to hear you managed to get all the bits in. I did wonder where a speaker may be placed and without a good size its won't really sound right. I have used transducers and have two on my Small 1:16 Trent. They work best on the hull above the waterline as PM Devlin did with his model.
The Technobots sound units and amps are great but last time I looked I couldn't find them on the site.
Re the tank steering I suspect one motor is running faster than the other, you need to get them both at the same speed for the same stick movement on each stick.
Any chance of some pics and video. A new post thread would be useful
Dave


Live long and prosper

Dave
RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)





Forum Posts: 1121
2nd Oct 2017 22:57  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/34038

Hi Chris, to feed two or more audio signals (Sounds!) into one speaker or transducer (which is just the core of a speaker without the cone!) you just need an amplifier with a mixer input. Not complicated but to make it even simpler people like Component Shop (Action Electronics) have some -
http://www.componentshop.co.uk/action-electronics/amplifiers

Cheers Doug 😎


"The brain is not intended to store facts. It is for thinking, and for knowing where to find the facts !" Albert Einstein. 😉 cheers Doug
NPJ
(Captain)





Forum Posts: 70
2nd Oct 2017 23:05  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/34040

Octman.

That is really interesting stuff for me.

I am late up now so will look in more detail tomorrow.

Will catch up with you then.

All the best.

NPJ


NPJ
RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)





Forum Posts: 1121
2nd Oct 2017 23:14  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/34041

PS to Chris, Assuming an optimum speaker / transducer, to get more volume you need a more powerful amplifier, more Watts!
The little stand-alone boards rarely produce more than 1W.
Again check the Component Shop.
Also check that your speaker / transducer is rated for the higher power!!
If using a traditional speaker with a cone make sure it is a waterproof Mylar cone!!! 'Uvverwise' they can go awful soggy an' droopy 🤔
Cheers Doug 😎


"The brain is not intended to store facts. It is for thinking, and for knowing where to find the facts !" Albert Einstein. 😉 cheers Doug
Dave M
(Fleet Admiral!)





Forum Posts: 1427
2nd Oct 2017 23:28  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/34044

Doug
I believe you have missed the point about lack of space. This is a very small model.
I agree you can mix audio signals but this is usually pre- amplification.
Transducers are great and work well on a hull above the waterline but I doubt if there is space on this hull.


Live long and prosper

Dave
RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)





Forum Posts: 1121
2nd Oct 2017 23:35  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/34047

Re Technobots Sound Units-
"As part of our review into the product ranges we stock, this engine sound unit is no longer available from Technobots. We have been the retail outlet for the excellent engine sound module designs of Alan Bond of Forge Electronics for many years and have proudly supplied over 1,000 of these units to modellers around the world. The good news is that Alan is going to continue production of the programmable sound unit so please visit the Forge-Electronics website for pricing and availability.

Our rather popular and well respected range of single voice and combo engine sound units have had a makeover! They still have the same great sounds but are even more user friendly."

https://www.technobotsonline.com/combo-engine-sound-unit-mk2...

Doug 😎


"The brain is not intended to store facts. It is for thinking, and for knowing where to find the facts !" Albert Einstein. 😉 cheers Doug
RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)





Forum Posts: 1121
3rd Oct 2017 00:01  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/34050

Dave, on the contrary. I am looking at the smallest solution as I want to fit such functions to my Southampton. Is the 'Richardson' smaller than Southampton? I have a batch of the transducers recommended by Paul.
One each side of the hull midships shouldn't be a problem.
Cheers Doug
PS to Chris; fitting speakers under the deck is not optimum as the sound volume is directed upwards, so no one on shore can hear it! Learned this the hard way with my destroyer🤔
I propose to fit the transducers (actually Exciters; strictly speaking speakers are transducers cos they convert - transduce - electrical signals into mechanical movement via exciter and cone) midships on both sides of the hull midway between waterline and gunwale.
The idea being to bring the hull to resonant movement with the sound so it works like the speaker cone! Thus the exciter should be mounted as far as possible in the geometric centre of the hull surface available.
Cheers Doug 😎


Attached Files - Click To View Large


"The brain is not intended to store facts. It is for thinking, and for knowing where to find the facts !" Albert Einstein. 😉 cheers Doug
RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)





Forum Posts: 1121
3rd Oct 2017 00:15  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/34051

PS Dave, Natch, small signal mixing is always better. A few 10 - 47K resistors and away you go! 😊 Amps such as the Action Electronics already have this network included. There are countless other similar 'ready made' solutions on the market for those who don't want to mess about with soldering irons like we do. Doug 😎


"The brain is not intended to store facts. It is for thinking, and for knowing where to find the facts !" Albert Einstein. 😉 cheers Doug
RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)





Forum Posts: 1121
3rd Oct 2017 08:55  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/34052

Aha, After some Googling I get the picture!
The only differences between the Richardson and the Southampton are the name and the paint. So what works for one should also fit the other.
It boils down to an exercise in 'Plastic Magic' 😉
Cheers Doug 😎


"The brain is not intended to store facts. It is for thinking, and for knowing where to find the facts !" Albert Einstein. 😉 cheers Doug
jarvo
(Fleet Admiral!)





Forum Posts: 496
3rd Oct 2017 09:48  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/34053

Hi Doug, everything is doable, but is the ultimate worth it?? the transducers with all the will in the world are only really used in exhibitions, on the water ???? lights, we do a few dusk sails so the lights are a good effort. Sorry to be negative, Regards Mark


Etherow Model Boat Club
RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)





Forum Posts: 1121
3rd Oct 2017 09:57  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/34054

Hi Mark, You're very probably right, but THE CHALLENGE is half the fun.😉
They seemed to work pretty well in Paul's 'Noisy Thing'!
Anyway, I've shelled out for the damn things already.🤔
Most will probably actually end up in my bigger ships; Hotspur, Belfast, Graf Spee, PT109 etc. Just thought Southampton might provide a quick 'trials ship'.
In for penny ...
Cheers Doug😎


"The brain is not intended to store facts. It is for thinking, and for knowing where to find the facts !" Albert Einstein. 😉 cheers Doug
RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)





Forum Posts: 1121
3rd Oct 2017 10:00  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/34055

PS I drive a Toyota ... slogan- 'Nothing is impossible'! 😉


"The brain is not intended to store facts. It is for thinking, and for knowing where to find the facts !" Albert Einstein. 😉 cheers Doug
Dave M
(Fleet Admiral!)





Forum Posts: 1427
3rd Oct 2017 11:28  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/34056

Doug
Mark is right.👍 I have fitted transducers in my 1:16 Trent on the hull sides above the waterline and they worked as well as the 8" mylar speaker I had previously using with the ACTION sound unit. This weighed a ton and the reduced weight made the model sail much better. This tug has little access inside and very little hull above the waterline. I'd stick to the bigger model in your fleet like the PT109 and do a build blog.
I hope you are going to start a Sothhampton build blog so we can follow your progress.


Live long and prosper

Dave
RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)





Forum Posts: 1121
3rd Oct 2017 12:11  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/34059

OK! I admit (temporary😉) defeat 🤔
Yep, it's the weight and size of the frames of conventional speakers that are the problem. That's what attracted me to 'Paul's' mini transducers in the first place.
Southampton goes back on the back-burner, will settle for RX, ESC and battery upgrade for now. But possibilities noted in my Log Book. Must do a Payload Test sometime.
Re Build Blogs; I think I'd better finish the Sea Scout first before this all gets out of hand! 😲 next step; fabricate new propshaft and mount the brushless.
In between perhaps something on the PT 109.
Have all the ingredients assembled now except stern gun; Decision: 20mm Oerlikon or 40mm? Pics on the net show both at various times.
Cheers Doug 😎


"The brain is not intended to store facts. It is for thinking, and for knowing where to find the facts !" Albert Einstein. 😉 cheers Doug
NPJ
(Captain)





Forum Posts: 70
5th Oct 2017 15:56  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/34148

Been away for a few days and all has moved...............

Doug, where did you get the transducers? Octman referred to them and I have been around a few sites but missed them.

Octman. Did you fined any difference with the reversing when you made the changes. I understand that standard set up is poor and some use a mixer and /or enlarge the rudder area?

Now I am back I hope to start on the 'build site' with the changes............

All the best.

NPJ


NPJ
RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)





Forum Posts: 1121
5th Oct 2017 16:21  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/34149

Hi Neil, the transducers are from HobbyKing/
http://rcsearch.info/hobbyking/i84822/#catalog
They take a bit of finding! hardware & Accessories -> Audio Systems & Parts !!! Or just look for the TT-25.
BUT: make sure they come from UK or EU Warehouse stock. I wasn't paying attention and mine came from the HK 'Global' warehouse and the German customs stung me for €62.68 duty and admin 😡 Had to pay the DHL man in cash or he wouldn't give 'em to me 🤔 Mind you I did buy 10 in one go, at US$19.99 each! Maybe they thought I was some kind of business.
Weight incl. cable and plug 81gm / 2.85oz, diameter 5.2cm (~2"), height 2.1cm (~0.8").
Happy modding, Doug 😎


"The brain is not intended to store facts. It is for thinking, and for knowing where to find the facts !" Albert Einstein. 😉 cheers Doug
NPJ
(Captain)





Forum Posts: 70
5th Oct 2017 16:55  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/34152

Thanks for the prompt re source. Could have got caught there.

Seems to say 12v minimum input. I am only running at 7volts.....

NPJ


NPJ
RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)





Forum Posts: 1121
5th Oct 2017 17:30  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/34156

Hi Neil, don't worry about the voltage specified. Seems to refer to the MRC Sound System. Has little to do with the speaker / transducer itself.
More important is the impedance of 4Ohms!
This means that if your amplifier output needs 8 Ohms minimum (a common standard) you should wire two transducers in series, one each side of the hull. Otherwise the 4 Ohm load could draw too much current from the amplifier and possibly burn out the output power transistors.😡
Series wiring means connecting the + (red) of one transducer to the negative (black) of the other. The 'free' - and + of the transducers then go to the - and + of the amplifier speaker terminals. 4 + 4 = 8 and everybody's happy😊 and you can make lotsa noise!
Happy Ghetto Blasting! Doug 😎


"The brain is not intended to store facts. It is for thinking, and for knowing where to find the facts !" Albert Einstein. 😉 cheers Doug
Dave M
(Fleet Admiral!)





Forum Posts: 1427
5th Oct 2017 19:43  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/34165

Hi Neil
I sourced my TT25 type resonators from www.soundimports.eu/en/audio-components/exciters/
Their website is also a mine of info on how to install and use.
They are in the Netherlands and my postage added about £7 but it was quick and I had no surcharges. Very friendly and excellent comms and tracking service.
I checked Hobby King and it was suggesting the Global Warehouse. As they also sell the full Mr Sound system it's possible they are sourcing in the States.


Live long and prosper

Dave
NPJ
(Captain)





Forum Posts: 70
5th Oct 2017 19:59  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/34166

Thank you both for your replies. I will get two ordered.

I have taken some 'the start' images and will put my mind to starting an 'upgrade' bit in the build area if you feel there is any point.

Surely it has all been done before?

All the best.

NPJ


NPJ
octman
(Captain)





Forum Posts: 99
5th Oct 2017 21:34  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/34168

Hi Neil,not sure what you mean about reversing. The steering in reverse is ok but nothing to write about, and with tank steering it seems to be much better on the port motor than the starboard one. Possible to do with water turbulence, but not really looked at it long enough to figure it out. My transducer or resonator also came from sound imports, and I had the same delivery experience as Dave.

Chris

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)





Forum Posts: 1121
5th Oct 2017 21:52  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/34169

Hi Neil, sure such upgrades have been done before, BUT everyone puts their own slant on it and your experiences will add to the library of help and tips and encourage many 'newbies' to 'have a go' 👍
Cheers Doug 😎


"The brain is not intended to store facts. It is for thinking, and for knowing where to find the facts !" Albert Einstein. 😉 cheers Doug
NPJ
(Captain)





Forum Posts: 70
6th Oct 2017 10:39  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/34177

Octman...I had read that the steering, with any accuracy, in reverse was almost impossible without some modification and so it is on my list of possible mods.

Doug and Dave....I have ordered the transducers.

Re 'build', it looks like I will be coming up here to ask you all questions and then go back down the other thread and give the impression I know all about what I am talking about..............!

All the best,

NPJ


NPJ
NPJ
(Captain)





Forum Posts: 70
7th Oct 2017 11:27  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/34236

Jarvo and RN,

I have put something up on the 'build site'. Could you check it out for me please.

First attempt!

NPJ


NPJ
NPJ
(Captain)





Forum Posts: 70
7th Oct 2017 13:21  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/34244

The TGY i6 and the Mtronics sound module arrived yesterday.

Some other small bits today. Transducers etc Tuesday they say.

Wife wondering what is happening.........................!

All the best

NPJ


NPJ
RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)





Forum Posts: 1121
7th Oct 2017 13:53  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/34245

Crack on Man👍
Know what you mean about many deliveries. I've become friends with our DHL driver, we meet almost every second day. I order 6 items and the daft supplier sends 'em in anything from 1 to 6 deliveries!
The GF is getting jealous😉
Glad to see you got the Turnigy i6👍 The RX is nice and compact isn't it!
Have you thought of a build sequence for the 'special FX' yet?
Cheers Doug 😎


"The brain is not intended to store facts. It is for thinking, and for knowing where to find the facts !" Albert Einstein. 😉 cheers Doug
NPJ
(Captain)





Forum Posts: 70
7th Oct 2017 14:14  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/34246

No not yet thought it through Doug. Huge speaker with the unit... and weighty. Glad about the transponders! I imaging they should be in the hull/decking and above the waterline?

Trying to read about about boat balance and how they sit in the water. Assuming keeping battery as low as possible is best. Will have to be fore and aft if it is to be removed through the rear hatch.

Have not broken into the Bridge/wheelhouse yet to see whats there.................

Is once a week OK for the build blog?

All the best.

NPJ


NPJ
Dave M
(Fleet Admiral!)





Forum Posts: 1427
7th Oct 2017 14:27  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/34247

Hi Neil
You have started a Build Blog with the same title as this Forum post.
I suggest you post and respond to posts in the Build Blog in future.
You can post as often or as little as you like. It's useful to give each new post to the Build Blog with an appropriate heading eg adding new motor etc.
Have a quick look at some other Build Blogs to see how they worked


Live long and prosper

Dave
NPJ
(Captain)





Forum Posts: 70
7th Oct 2017 14:39  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/34248

I see your point.

Will do from now on.

Thanks for the prompt.

NPJ


NPJ
RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)





Forum Posts: 1121
7th Oct 2017 15:00  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/34249

Hi Neil, agree with Dave, no need to rush it, think each step through first!
Transducers should be mounted on a vertical surface so the sound doesn't vanish into the clouds😉 You want to project across the water. Midships on both sides is ideal. But not right next to a bulkhead, in the middle of an open space is best.
Sort out the basics first i.e. propulsion and battery. Heaviest items as low as possible checking for balance and trim as you go.
Leave the wheelhouse and special FX to last when you can see what space and weight margin is left. Cheers Doug 😎


"The brain is not intended to store facts. It is for thinking, and for knowing where to find the facts !" Albert Einstein. 😉 cheers Doug
NPJ
(Captain)





Forum Posts: 70
7th Oct 2017 16:20  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/34253

Thank you for that Doug. I was assuming transducers above waterline for transmission. That is quite a restriction on this model.

I need to do all my posting on the Build Blogg from now.

All the best.

NPJ


NPJ