Cookies used in this website are gluten free, wheat free and dairy free. By using this website you agree to our use of cookies. More Info
Login Below
Join Us On Social Media!

Get The Model Boats App!
Apple App Store
Android app on Google Play

Help Support This Website
£
or enter custom amount

(Non Contributor)

Help support this free
website and donate.

£285 a year is needed to keep the website and apps online. Please consider donating £5 or more to help towards these fees.
All donations are securely managed through PayPal. Amounts donated are not published online.

Many thanks for your kind support.

Model Boats Website Team

Donation History
October 2017: 7 people
September 2017: 15 people
August 2017: 10 people
July 2017: 16 people
June 2017: 8 people
May 2017: 8 people
April 2017: 23 people
March 2017: 9 people
February 2017: 4 people

Unique Visitors This Month

Website Members

Terms and Conditions
Privacy Policy
Advertising
Contact

Model Boats Website
Active Users (19)
Login or Register
To Remove This Ad
Login or Register
To Remove This Ad
>> Home > Forum > Any Other Questions! > What to do????
What to do????
(267 views)
Kathy
(Seaman)

Forum Posts: 3
11th Oct 2017 21:21  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/34397

My dad passed away leaving the family around 30 model boats each one taking around a year to complete, and other types of models. We would like to each keep one and the others would do well in a museum. Any suggestions as to who to call to donate?

Dave M
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 1351
11th Oct 2017 21:49  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/34398

Hi Kathy
Sorry to hear of your loss.
Are the models static (display only) or radio controlled models?
Most charities are usually willing to accept donated models, and the RNLI may be a good starting point.
If they are RC then you can advertise on this and other sites or even e-bay.
Museums do sometimes accept particular models but they often have a vast collection already and many are in storage and not on public display.
As a start you could take pictures of the models and post in the Forum under for sale and see if there is any interest. Don't post your e-mail address or telephone number to avoid getting spam. I usually just put a location like Cheshire UK to help identify your location.

Live long and prosper

Dave
Kathy
(Seaman)

11th Oct 2017 22:04  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/34399

Thank you! The boats are static. I will continue to get in touch with some of the charities. I am not familiar with RNLI. We are in the United States.

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 1032
12th Oct 2017 00:23  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/34400

Hallo Kathy, my sympathies and commiserations, I also lost my Dad a little while ago.
This a basically a UK site but we have very active members all over the world, including the US and Canada, so if you post some photos (or even a simple list (text catalogue with name of ship, type if you know! and size) you may get some responses from your side of the pond.
Some of our US / Canadian members have connections to maritime museums and may be able to help you. Or may even want to buy one of the models! Even if static models many of us like the challenge of converting them to functional models.
RNLI stands for Royal National Lifeboat Institute, it is the UK organisation which provides and maintains the lifeboat rescue services around the British Isles. It is totally funded by voluntary contributions, no government funding.
All best wishes, Doug.
In case you wonder about the site name RNinMunich; I'm English but have been living in Munich for over 30 years and my first radio control model was a Royal Navy ship!

"Retirement is when you stop living at work -
and start working at living!" i.e. boat modelling!" 舰队的海军上将 😉 Doug
RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

12th Oct 2017 00:32  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/34401

PS: Kathy, this site may help you find a local Model Boat Club which could help you.
http://namba.com/content/districts.asp
Best wishes, Doug.

Attached Files - Click To View Large

Krampus
(Commander)

Forum Posts: 8
12th Oct 2017 23:55  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/34442

Hello Kathy! Can you post pictures of the collection? Perhaps any of us might be interested in any of the vessels. I am currently located in the D.C. area for a couple of months. The best for you would be to put them on Ebay. However, since you are in California, you may want to contact any of the West Coast clubs mentioned in http://wimodelboats.org/usclubs.html to see how they can help out. Best, b.

Krampus Yachts
RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

13th Oct 2017 08:04  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/34446

Hi Krampus, I'm not sure Kathy is bothering to check this site anymore so a PM might be more effective - she will then automatically receive a normal email as well! Thanks for your help👍 Cheers Doug 😎

Kathy
(Seaman)

14th Oct 2017 04:06  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/34462

Thank you all for your help. I spoke with my mom and she is not wanting to "sell" but wants to donate to a museum. At least for now. I will definitely show her the posts and she can hopefully make a decision. Thank you again!!