Cookies used in this website are gluten free, wheat free and dairy free. By using this website you agree to our use of cookies. More Info
Login Below
Join Us On Social Media!

Get The Model Boats App!
Apple App Store
Android app on Google Play

Help Support This Website
£
or enter custom amount

(Non Contributor)

Help support this free
website and donate.

£285 a year is needed to keep the website and apps online. Please consider donating £5 or more to help towards these fees.
All donations are securely managed through PayPal. Amounts donated are not published online.

Many thanks for your kind support.

Model Boats Website Team

Donation History
December 2018: 4 people
November 2018: 11 people
October 2018: 9 people
September 2018: 13 people
August 2018: 5 people
July 2018: 8 people
June 2018: 8 people
May 2018: 7 people
April 2018: 24 people
March 2018: 11 people

Unique Visitors This Month

Website Members

Terms and Conditions
Privacy Policy
Advertising
Contact

Model Boats Website
Active Users (17)
Login or Register
To Remove This Ad

Login or Register
To Remove This Ad
>> Home > Forum > Any Other Questions! > Mtronics and Lipo's
Mtronics and Lipo's
(261 views)
rossiter
(Petty Officer)

Forum Posts: 7
9th Oct 2018 20:50  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/46925

I'm hoping someone may be able to tell me why it is that on the Mtronics website, the only ESC suitable for a lipo battery is the 'TIO', yet two friends of mine are curently running lipo's with normal 25 and 40 amp Mtronics ESC's with no problems. My question therefor is....Can I or can I not run lipo's with these ESC's. I await any replies with interest. Thanks in advance

ads90
(Commander)

Forum Posts: 38
9th Oct 2018 21:55  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/46926

The TIO has a safety low battery voltage cut-off for LIPO batteries whereas the Viper 15 does not have this facility. If you are confident in not running down your LIPO battery to below a 'safe limit' then you should be OK to just use the ordinary Viper.

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 2483
9th Oct 2018 22:22  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/46929

Basically ads is correct, but that's only half the story!
The clue is to look for 'LiPo Safe' when buying ESCs.
That tells you it has a programmable Cut Off voltage setting to prevent damage to your battery. Default is usually 3.2V per cell.
Absolute minimum is 3.0V. Below that you risk irreversible damage to the battery due to chemical changes that can't be reversed.

The alternative is to fit a battery monitor which can trigger an audio and/or visual alarm to warn you to 'make nearest port best speed' before your battery is deep discharged, from which it will not recover!
Some ESCs have a programmable function which allows to preset a reduction of the max power to the motor (instead of a total shut down) to give you the chance to get home before disaster.
PLEASE don't ask me which ones. Check the specs carefully before you buy.
Many current TX/RX sets will tell you on the TX display when the battery volts are low.
Cheers, Doug 😎

Young at heart - slightly older in other places 😉 Cheers Doug
rossiter
(Petty Officer)

Forum Posts: 7
9th Oct 2018 22:40  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/46932

Thanks for your advice. I already have 3 boats with Mtronics Viper ESC's, and I didn't want to change them if it wasn't necessary.