Cookies used in this website are gluten free, wheat free and dairy free. By using this website you agree to our use of cookies. More Info
Login Below
Join Us On Social Media!

Get The Model Boats App!
Apple App Store
Android app on Google Play

Help Support This Website
£
or enter custom amount

(Non Contributor)

Help support this free
website and donate.

£285 a year is needed to keep the website and apps online. Please consider donating £5 or more to help towards these fees.
All donations are securely managed through PayPal. Amounts donated are not published online.

Many thanks for your kind support.

Model Boats Website Team

Donation History
January 2019: 14 people
December 2018: 6 people
November 2018: 11 people
October 2018: 9 people
September 2018: 13 people
August 2018: 5 people
July 2018: 8 people
June 2018: 8 people
May 2018: 7 people
April 2018: 19 people

Unique Visitors This Month

Website Members

Terms and Conditions
Privacy Policy
Advertising
Contact

Model Boats Website
Active Users (71)
Login or Register
To Remove This Ad

Login or Register
To Remove This Ad
>> Home > Forum > Any Other Questions! > Propshaft Lubrication
Propshaft Lubrication
(421 views)
steve-d
(Commander)

Forum Posts: 61
1st Jan 2019 10:47  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/49245

Been reading some old threads with plenty of reference to lubrication but only one mention of what to lubricate with (mix of engine oil and graphite powder).
I have just fitted a replacement propshaft (M4) to my Huntsman 31 and fitted it with an oiler tube.
So question is what to oil/grease it with?

Steve

Donnieboy
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 49
1st Jan 2019 12:45  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/49249

I have changed over to the ProBoat Marine Grease.It comes with an injector that screws onto the tube.Very happy with the product.Just one idea.

scout13
(Chief Petty Officer)

Forum Posts: 14
1st Jan 2019 17:15  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/49258

I have always used wheel bearing grease. I have a brass tube fitted to the prop shaft which is the same diameter as a grease nipple so slides into the grease gun Yours Brian

Dave J
(Petty Officer)

Forum Posts: 9
1st Jan 2019 19:48  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/49263

Fill it up with Castrol or equivellent grease and once a year repack it....got boats with grease from over 5 yrs ago and they still as smooth as ever and dont leak water at all.......went through them over xmas for 1st time in years NOT a single mark of wear and that includes a couple of fast boats as well....Had a look at a boat that was last on the water 7yrs ago still with the original grease in it and still was as fresh as the day I put it in.......if your boat is using Oil from an oiler then the shaft will be furbarred and staining on the underneath....really no need for oilers as long as you have put enough grease in it...OIL will wash the grease away

sidley70
(Sub-Lieutenant)

Forum Posts: 30
1st Jan 2019 22:11  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/49271

Greetings from Australia and Happy New Year.
Hi Steve
I have always lubricated my shafts with a 50/50 mixture of car bearing grease and sump oil Thinned to a consistency to be Forced into the tube via a syringe.
This seems primitive but I have never had a problem. Top up when you think it needs it. Some would shudder at this but works for me.
Regards Sid

canabus
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 132
2nd Jan 2019 01:22  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/49276

Hi All
I use silicon tap grease as it's waterproof and add a bit more after each outing.
Strip down, check for wear once a year and regrease.
Started using Teflon bearings for the lower bearing which are holding up to the brushless motors.
Canabus

Joe727
(Captain)

Forum Posts: 33
2nd Jan 2019 09:12  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/49283

I use White Lithium Grease in my stuffing tubes and on both plastic and metal gears. I build my own stuffing tubes for my 3/16" shafts using bronze bushings from the local hardware store. They insert into about a 3/8" brass tube thereby giving a reservoir for the grease. Does not seem to breakdown at all, has a nice viscosity, does not damage plastics and I have read will tolerate high heat. Local auto parts store sell it for about $6 in a tube that lasts me for years. Just my experience..... Joe

figtree7nts
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 514
2nd Jan 2019 09:28  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/49285

I also use the ProBoats Marine Greaser!👍
It works well for me!😊
And the grease stays where you put it!😉
I've had no problems with it so far....😁

"Fair winds calm Seas"
73's
TheBlacksmith
(Chief Petty Officer)

2nd Jan 2019 20:21  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/49296

Hi I am using a mix of Teflon bike grease and a teflon based oil Teflon is non hygroscopic unlike some car type greases and have a low friction level hence low wear. Lithium grease has the same properties and is excellent, all of the suggestions are fine and it comes down to personal choice at the end of the day Teflon grease and oil are available in this country through Wilko's and halfords (own brand. half the price and just as good) Out of interest I make my bushes from PET plastic, acetal is similar, plastic can be lubricated with water as well as grease and is often used in full size propshafts the Queen Mary carrier for example. happy 2019 to everyone.😊

onetenor
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 482
6th Jan 2019 18:45  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/49403

I used to use Liqui-Grease which was a clear liquid which solidified quickly leaving a grease filled whatever.I think it was silicone grease in a solvent which evaporated. No longer available as far as i can see but silicone grease diluted with meths might work. Great for chains and bearings on a bike so well enough for a little prop shaft. Very low drag too Seems to soften with movement.👍

TheBlacksmith
(Chief Petty Officer)

7th Jan 2019 18:31  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/49437

You can still get greases that are applied in liquid form but they now tend to be in spray form. I personally do not use silicon oil or grease, it is fine until you need to repaint your boat, it forms a film that is almost impossible to remove, even cellulose thinners has no effect and any paint applied fish eyes and separates, there are dedicated removers but we tried one on a contaminated bike frame which had been blasted, with poor results we had to treat it several times and had to reblast it, we discovered silicone grease had been used in the bottom bracket.
Keep silicone away from any surface you may need to paint.