Cookies used in this website are gluten free, wheat free and dairy free. By using this website you agree to our use of cookies. More Info
Login Below
Join Us On Social Media!

Get The Model Boats App!
Apple App Store
Android app on Google Play

Help Support This Website
£
or enter custom amount

(Non Contributor)

Help support this free
website and donate.

£285 a year is needed to keep the website and apps online. Please consider donating £5 or more to help towards these fees.
All donations are securely managed through PayPal. Amounts donated are not published online.

Many thanks for your kind support.

Model Boats Website Team

Donation History
August 2017: 7 people
July 2017: 16 people
June 2017: 8 people
May 2017: 8 people
April 2017: 23 people
March 2017: 9 people
February 2017: 12 people
January 2017: 17 people

Unique Visitors This Month

Website Members

Terms and Conditions
Privacy Policy
Advertising
Contact

Model Boats Website
Active Users (23)
Login or Register
To Remove This Ad

Login or Register
To Remove This Ad
>> Home > Forum > Anything Website Related > Website upgrade coming soon!
Website upgrade coming soon!
(1960 views)
Fireboat
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 256
21st Dec 2016 21:05  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/24778

Thought I'd give you all a teaser announcement 😊

The website is long overdue a heafty upgrade from its current format, including lots of behind the scenes updates to the server. I'd like to get this done over the Xmas hols, and so far things are progressing well but I'll hold out on a launch date as it's still an awful lot of work.

In summary;
- The whole website is moving to https and will use secure connections throughout, including the apps. So all traffic will be encrypted including usernames, passwords, stored cookies, everything.

- No more flash plugins required. Flash is currently used in a couple of areas and will be replaced with HTML5 which is much cleaner, lightweight and in line with future standards.

- Upload limits will be gone. You'll be able to upload as many files and photos as you like per post, along with this, a new media viewing interface has been crafted. I say media, as files are also acceptable everywhere, not just in the forum area.

- Full Emoji support. Smileys will be replaced with emoji's, this is especially important for the mobile apps where smartphone entry typically can include emoji.

- New posting interface across the website. Creating new posts will be cleaner and standardised across the website.

- Profile pages will be updated, again, with a much cleaner design, focus on member rankings, recent posts and harbour boats.

- Retina support, mainly for people viewing on macs, iphones, ipads - many graphics have been updated and will show in their full resolution glory.

- Goodbye to the legacy server version. This isn't something anyone will notice, but to upgrade all the server code to more compatible modern standards is the majority of the upgrade work.

Thanks to everyone for your continued support in keeping this website going! 👍

Stephen

🚤
jarvo
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 388
21st Dec 2016 22:28  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/24782

Sounds like the site will be set for many years to come

Mark

Etherow Model Boat Club
figtree7nts
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 318
21st Dec 2016 22:39  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/24783

Can't wait to see the difference in the site, hoping it's a seamless upgrade! what a task at hand...

"Fair winds calm Seas"
robbob
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 48
21st Dec 2016 23:08  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/24784

Good work Stephen.
I'm looking forward to being able to post more than 4 pictures in the build blogs if that's possible. And also that pesky punctuation problem might be fixed too ? 👍

"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana"
Fireboat
(Fleet Admiral!)

21st Dec 2016 23:49  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/24785

Yep, more than 4 pictures will be allowed... and files too, so if you want to include PDF's, word documents, PowerPoint files, CAD drawings, ZIP files etc, it'll all be uploadable.

Pesky punctuation problems will be fixed too, along with a lot of currently unsupported special characters.

I don't want to promise too much yet, but I'd like to allow uploads in response posts as well. Let's see on that one mind 😊

Hoping for a seamless upgrade. It's likely I'll shut the site down for a short while when the actual upgrade happens. For now I'm working on a duplicate copy (which I can break without causing any harm 😀 )

Stephen

🚤
cenbeth
(Admiral)

Forum Posts: 164
22nd Dec 2016 16:12  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/24793

Those proposals look really good. Will they be OK on the iPad app?

Edward

Fireboat
(Fleet Admiral!)

23rd Dec 2016 13:03  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/24803

Hi Edward,

So far I haven't made any progress on the apps, but I'll do my best to implement as many of the features mentioned into the apps too.

In general they'll be less feature rich than the full website, but this is the same for any mobile app as they're generally designed for smaller screens.

They will use a secure connection and updated server version just like the website and in a few areas I'll be tidying up the code. I know there are problems with notifications, also with uploading photos in new posts. Everything will see an overhaul.

Stephen

🚤
onetenor
(Commander)

Forum Posts: 121
26th Dec 2016 03:10  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/24863

What about a live chat area ?

Fireboat
(Fleet Admiral!)

29th Dec 2016 09:20  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/24914

Progress update. The new website is now 95% ready for launch, a few final tweaks will be needed, but otherwise it's ready to go. The mobile app however, is only 50% ready, visually it's working, but functionally not there yet. I'll be continuing to work on the final parts for the next few days, with the aim to launch everything on Sunday the 1st! It's been a busy Christmas break for me, this website update has consumed many hours, but hopefully it'll all be worth it 😊

The website will be down for a few hours on Sunday while I copy everything across.

@Onetenor, live chat was once part of this website, but it was removed again for a few reasons. By nature they're temporary, if knowledge is shared within them, they're lost in time. They also can't be moderated and are unfortunately prone to misuse.

Another update from an early announcement too; I have done lots of work on response posts, so I'm pleased to say, it'll be possible to include as many photos/files as you wish in responses too! Also, all posts will be modifiable, attachments included, and can be deleted as well.

You'll see all changes when the website goes live on Sunday. I'm still hoping for a seamless transition. Let's see!

Thanks everyone for your support.

Stephen

🚤
figtree7nts
(Fleet Admiral!)

29th Dec 2016 10:04  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/24916

Hi Fireboat

Will you be making an anousement as to what time you'll be taking the site offline? also how long will the site be offline? do you have an estimation of time?

Ed

PS.

Good luck on the transition... 👍

"Fair winds calm Seas"
Fireboat
(Fleet Admiral!)

29th Dec 2016 10:41  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/24917

It'll be offline Sunday morning from around 8am, then back online mid-afternoon. If things don't go as planned it's possible it'll remain down until later in the evening on Sunday.

So anything from 6 hours to 16 hours. I'll do my best 👍

Thanks,
Stephen

🚤
cenbeth
(Admiral)

Forum Posts: 164
29th Dec 2016 12:07  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/24919

Good luck!

jarvo
(Fleet Admiral!)

29th Dec 2016 17:05  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/24924

6, 16, 26, who cares the down time, you are doing this for our sakes, good luck with the button pushing!!!

Mark

Etherow Model Boat Club
onetenor
(Commander)

Forum Posts: 121
29th Dec 2016 17:54  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/24929

Thanks FB .I thought it might be a good Idea as modration seems t o work put OK on the Aeromodeller site.People can be banned. However we will have to accept your decision and good luck with the transition.

Fireboat
(Fleet Admiral!)

31st Dec 2016 17:07  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/24958

Just a reminder to everyone. The website will be offline tomorrow!

I'm aiming to get it back online in its upgraded format as quickly as possible, but I suspect this will take some hours.

If it's not online by the end of the day, then something bad has happened! Let's hope not! 👍

Thanks,
Stephen

🚤
allenrod
(Sub-Lieutenant)

Forum Posts: 26
31st Dec 2016 18:38  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/24961

Good luck, a big thanks and I hope you have a happy, prosperous and healthy new year, take care

jarvo
(Fleet Admiral!)

31st Dec 2016 20:15  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/24965

Good luck with the upgrades, hope to see you back online Monday

Mark

Etherow Model Boat Club
Fireboat
(Fleet Admiral!)

2nd Jan 2017 11:39  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/24977

We're back!

So after a tonne of work, most of it behind the scenes, a lot of trouble with server security certificates and not much Christmas break...... I'm proud to announce, we're now updated!!! 👍

The software is no longer 10 years old and comes in line with modern web standards. Hopefully the last major overhaul for a while!

I wish you all a Happy New Year and a great 2017 for Model Boating! ⛵️

Stephen

🚤
figtree7nts
(Fleet Admiral!)

2nd Jan 2017 15:17  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/24982

Sincere Thanks, Great job on the Upgrade!

"Fair winds calm Seas"
jarvo
(Fleet Admiral!)

2nd Jan 2017 15:41  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/24986

Superb job on the upgrade, looks very good

Etherow Model Boat Club
EAGLE
(Lieutenant)

Forum Posts: 41
2nd Jan 2017 17:10  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/24992

Hi,
You can sit back with your favourite bottle. Well done sir
Regards Dave.

AlanP
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 385
2nd Jan 2017 20:30  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/24999

Nice Stephen, very nice, just a little niggle from me, I cant find a cross to close down the active users list, not a big problem but as I view at 125 % the screen gets a bit crowded.

Alan

Fireboat
(Fleet Admiral!)

2nd Jan 2017 22:13  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/25002

Hi Alan, you should now see a [Close Panel] button at the top of the active users list. This will hide it from view 👍 thanks for the feedback! 😊 Stephen

🚤
AlanP
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 385
2nd Jan 2017 22:19  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/25003

Thanks Stephen, 👍

figtree7nts
(Fleet Admiral!)

3rd Jan 2017 00:46  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/25008

I think I've found a problem with the website.
When trying to do a correction after having made a post the website says- Please look at the photo It's a screen shot of the Error.

Attached Files - Click To View Large

"Fair winds calm Seas"
Fireboat
(Fleet Admiral!)

3rd Jan 2017 10:56  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/25014

Hi figtree, that error has now been fixed. It was the result of a new security check which was added 🤓

Thanks for pointing it out 👍 you'll now be able to edit posts again 😉

Stephen

🚤
figtree7nts
(Fleet Admiral!)

3rd Jan 2017 11:33  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/25015

Stephen,

Thank You! for you hard work, Brilliant comes to mind!

"Fair winds calm Seas"
RHBaker
(Admiral)

Forum Posts: 84
3rd Jan 2017 13:49  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/25019

Well done. Thought it was OK before, but this is a vast improvement

robbob
(Fleet Admiral!)

6th Jan 2017 22:29  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/25131

Hi Stephen.
Congratulations on your successful upgrade of the site, I have just submitted a couple of build blog updates and I'ts a so nice not to have to go back in to correct the punctuation and odd capitalisations, and it's really great that I can post more than four pictures now 😊.
On minor niggle... the smileys or emoticons, whatever the are called, seem to have lost their appealing characteristics and look a bit dull compared to their previous incarnations 😡.
Curiously, they look better and in colour on my 'phone using the mobile app but just grey 'ghost' outlines on my PC....spooky !.
Despite that I'm quite impressed and grateful for your efforts, and I have to say that it's now very deserving of another donation to the fund, I'm sure many would agree 😉.
A Happy New Year to all.
Robbob.

figtree7nts
(Fleet Admiral!)

7th Jan 2017 01:36  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/25135

Hi Fireboat

I just wanted to ask, what ever happened to the ships horns.
when ever any body stops by you here the ships Horn?
Will it ever come back? I myself liked it a lot!

"Fair winds calm Seas"
allenrod
(Sub-Lieutenant)

Forum Posts: 26
7th Jan 2017 10:35  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/25137

Yes I fully agree with you robbob, the website is a credit to you, regarding the upgrade I think all active members should donate at least a fiver lets see the January donation list number grow from its present miserable 2! well into the twenties and even thirties, show your appreciation, and a happy new year to all.👍😊

Fireboat
(Fleet Admiral!)

7th Jan 2017 10:42  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/25138

Hi figtree,

I've just put the ships horns back! They used to use a flash plugin so I removed the feature to speed up the website and avoid all the warning messages browsers give about flash.

Now they're re-implemented using HTML5 which is much cleaner.

@Robbob, pleased you like the site upgrade too! The world of emoji/emoticon/smileys is confusing. The website has replaced smileys with emojis now. Smileys were little pictures that replaced text characters, I did have control over how they look, but it becomes messy as many people use smart phones and you get a mix of smileys and emojis. Emoji are actual characters, like letters. The problem is though, they're displayed in a whole range of different ways. An emoji in Firefox will look different in Internet Explorer, different again in Gmail, different again on an Android phone, different again on an Apple device. It is a pitty there was no alignment by companies!

It does save downloading many little graphic files though and it helps the website speed. Also.... there are hundreds of emoji's to choose from. The website has a handful of common ones to pick from, but it's not limited really.

All donations gratefully received. Unfortunately no big company pays me to keep the site afloat! I just know a lot of people enjoy it and I take some personal pride in having built it up to where it is today. It's all hand coded, no bought packages, I don't think any off the shelf package would give the same experience!

Thanks for all the positive feedback everyone 😊

Stephen

🚤
robbob
(Fleet Admiral!)

7th Jan 2017 12:56  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/25139

Hi Stephen.
OK, I now understand the emoji thing, I have just installed Firerfox and they appear in colour in that and I have also installed a plug-in into Chrome (my default browser) that also now shows the things properly.
Cheers.
😁👍👌🇬🇧🛳☢🍌...just having a play with some !!
Rob.

figtree7nts
(Fleet Admiral!)

7th Jan 2017 14:25  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/25140

Hi Stephen

Thank You so much for bring back the Ships Horn. I use it to let me know when someone has stopped by the website.
I'm hoping that theirs is know problems after implementing the ships horn sound. If there is it's understandable if you take it off.
Also if their is a degradation in the website performance it would be advisable to disable it.

I'm really going to have to do my best, to make a donation to the website in the near future! 👍

Regards,

Ed

"Fair winds calm Seas"
josephhuntley
(Apprentice)

Forum Posts: 1
7th Jan 2017 18:32  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/25148

I usually just lurk since i have been too busy to spend time over the holidays but I would like to thank you for doing all the hard work for your upgrades I know what a pain that can be been there done that. but again thank you i really like learning from this site being so new to boats and all

Joe

figtree7nts
(Fleet Admiral!)

8th Jan 2017 18:23  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/25192

Hi Stephen

I just wanted to report, something strange happening on the website.
I logged in and everything I clicked on the website would reply:

Page could not be loaded.. (TypeError: Unable to get property 'open' of undefined or null reference

Not sure what that was but the website seams to be working again. I logged in and out a few times. I don't know if it was on my side or the website.
Just thought I would report it, just in case...

Ed

"Fair winds calm Seas"
Fireboat
(Fleet Admiral!)

8th Jan 2017 19:15  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/25196

My fault Ed. I was tinkering with displaying a load progress bar for navigating between pages. But my tinkering broke everything until I noticed! 😜 all back to normal now 😊 Thanks! Stephen

🚤
figtree7nts
(Fleet Admiral!)

8th Jan 2017 22:39  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/25205

Hi Stephen

I like the idea of the progress bar but, on the other hand the way the Website emblem progresses in a circular motion is just right.
I also like the LIKES area that you've added, very good.

Ed👍

"Fair winds calm Seas"
smiggy
(Sub-Lieutenant)

Forum Posts: 19
9th Jan 2017 09:16  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/25217

Having dabbled with building websites, many many moons ago, I can appreciate the work that goes into projects like this. We're blessed to have someone with the talents and energy you have Stephen looking after us.

Excellent work, well done and thank you.