Cookies used in this website are gluten free, wheat free and dairy free. By using this website you agree to our use of cookies. More Info
Login Below
Join Us On Social Media!

Get The Model Boats App!
Apple App Store
Android app on Google Play

Help Support This Website
£
or enter custom amount

(Non Contributor)

Help support this free
website and donate.

£285 a year is needed to keep the website and apps online. Please consider donating £5 or more to help towards these fees.
All donations are securely managed through PayPal. Amounts donated are not published online.

Many thanks for your kind support.

Model Boats Website Team

Donation History
December 2018: 5 people
November 2018: 11 people
October 2018: 9 people
September 2018: 13 people
August 2018: 5 people
July 2018: 8 people
June 2018: 8 people
May 2018: 7 people
April 2018: 24 people
March 2018: 10 people

Unique Visitors This Month

Website Members

Terms and Conditions
Privacy Policy
Advertising
Contact

Model Boats Website
Active Users (21)
Login or Register
To Remove This Ad

Login or Register
To Remove This Ad
>> Home > Forum > Boat Specific Chit Chat! > S.H.Grainger Formula Powerboat
S.H.Grainger Formula Powerboat
(5595 views)
headquarters
(Petty Officer)

Forum Posts: 5
4th Nov 2014 22:43  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/15616

Can anyone help me find Information on this S.H.Grainger Formula 1 powerboat ? I pick up this baby and have no clue If It's worth fixing up. Grainger's site Is still up but not functional. LOA Is 48". Appears to be a light fiberglass hull & deck. Many of the missing parts are In the engine compartment. Any help or Interest would be truly appreciated. Thanks!

Attached Files - Click To View Large

jarvo
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 556
5th Nov 2014 00:29  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/15618

HI mate

Welcome to the forum, looking at your pictures, that looks like a Cigarette off shore racing boat, the hull looks Intact as does the deck, definitely worth a new chance.

How experienced a modeller are you? Some of the things that might need replacing are the prop shafts and rudders, motors, batteries, radio gear etc.

Its first going to need a good cleaning, that will reveal what If any damage there Is, If there are any parts missing, and wether those parts are critical.

The web site Is now SHG marine, was talking to the owners at the Blackpool show, they are going strong, go to the contact bar and go from there.

Hope this helps to start

Regards

Mark

Etherow Model Boat Club
gary140
(Seaman)

Forum Posts: 4
5th Nov 2014 20:24  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/15632

Certainly worth fixing up.
Is that a working outdrive In the back?

headquarters
(Petty Officer)

5th Nov 2014 22:45  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/15637

Unfortunately this was built as a display model with no working Internals. I's probably going to take a real commitment to get her Is cruising shape. Not sure I have the time or money to do that.

headquarters
(Petty Officer)

5th Nov 2014 22:46  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/15638

HI Mark,
Thanks for your response. I'll contact SHG Marine and see what I'm getting Into.
Best regards,
Les

vortex
(Sub-Lieutenant)

Forum Posts: 15
6th Nov 2014 18:44  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/15646

Could be good I refurbed an SHG Cigarette to the Black Tornado varient. It had no lid but It was standard 36", now running on lipos. Not as good as my 36" SHG Surfury though.
Im after another Surfury If anybody has one to sell?

groovydad
(Seaman)

25th Feb 2015 14:05  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/16716

I lived In West Bromwich until I was 30 years old (53 now and living In Bournemouth) and I regularly took the bus to Walsall to SH Graingers and dreamed of owning a Surfury or Cigarette but as a kid It was always financially beyond me. The boat In your post (or one exactly like It) If I am not mistaken Is a Cigarette offshore racer and took pride of place In the window. SHG mail ordered this boat to customers all over the UK and beyond and they manufactured the kit from a small Industrial unit In Telford Shropshire for many years. There were always adverts and features about this model In the MAP Model Boats Mags which I subscribed to for years. Brings back glorious memories of sailing In Redhill Park Great Barr and Witton lakes In Birmingham.
This boat Is well worth the effort saving. Pop a .40 glow motor Into It with an Octura stern drive and see It fly. Great project, I am completely envious.

headquarters
(Petty Officer)

25th Feb 2015 17:06  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/16718

Thanks so much for the great Info on my boat. I could tell by the mahogany stand that this was built with pride. I would like to give It a new home with someone who can Invest the time to restore her original beauty. I live In the US, any suggestions?

groovydad
(Seaman)

25th Feb 2015 18:52  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/16719

None I'm afraid as I am In the UK. There should be some stuff on the Internet about the full sized craft and from the pictures It would be a fairly straightforward project to restore her yourself and then you would not want to part with her.

anchored
(Apprentice)

Forum Posts: 1
16th Feb 2016 18:21  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/20779

Hello chaps,

I've been looking for one of these boats.
If anyone has one for sale, do let me know. It looks as if the made models of the 32' Cary "The Cigarette" which was the '69 Cowes winner as well as the 36' Cigarette Black Tornado. Both would peak my interest.

Thanks,

Jeff

thatsinkinfeelin18
(Petty Officer)

Forum Posts: 7
17th Sep 2018 23:50  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/46290

hi all I have just bought a Black Tornado I believe to be S.H.Grainger ,I've a Meteor 40 to put in it and wondered if it would be man enough for the boat any info will help thanks

vortex
(Sub-Lieutenant)

18th Sep 2018 20:56  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/46312

If the hull is in decent shape structurally i cant see any problem if you get the balance right it should go well. If you are concerned beef up the mounts or put a bulkhead in it or both. Mine now runs on brushless and moves along quite well. I`m sure Jerome Grainger put a Merco or Webra 61 in his Cigarette in the 70`s.
I`ve run my Surfury on an Irvine 40 and was pleased with performance and handling, that now runs on a brushless and its quicker. Pics are of Surfury with Irvine 61 which was a bit heavy and my version of the Black Tornado

thatsinkinfeelin18
(Petty Officer)

18th Sep 2018 21:38  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/46317

many thanks Vortex for info i will think of going brushless(i do have a Merco 61) where would a good starting point be for brushless 🤐if i can be so bold to ask you only recently got back into r/c boats so brushless /lipo is abit new to me regards Steve

vortex
(Sub-Lieutenant)

18th Sep 2018 23:40  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/46340

Hi Steve im not sure now regarding motors as they have water cooling cans on but Surfury runs from memory a 1075kva motor Turnigy 160 A speedo watercooled on 2x2s 5200 lipo`s in series ie 14.4volts with 52mm mocom Alum prop approx 3hp. I think the Tornado has approx 2045kva motor same speedo + lipo`s x 50mm nylon prop both do scale speed to as fast as 40/61 IC and look great on our choppy water with just prop and rudder in the water. Both motors will take 6s if you like ballistic? All gear from Hobby king. Try the IC first, post some pics please

onetenor
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 463
19th Sep 2018 00:13  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/46342

HQ It looks a though it was built as fully working model from the pics. Not a static display model 👍

saga32
(Chief Petty Officer)

Forum Posts: 9
19th Sep 2018 20:45  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/46360

email address for SHG Models is info@shgmodels.com

thatsinkinfeelin18
(Petty Officer)

19th Sep 2018 21:43  
>> Permalink