Cookies used in this website are gluten free, wheat free and dairy free. By using this website you agree to our use of cookies. More Info
Login Below
Join Us On Social Media!

Get The Model Boats App!
Apple App Store
Android app on Google Play

Help Support This Website
£
or enter custom amount

(Non Contributor)

Help support this free
website and donate.

£285 a year is needed to keep the website and apps online. Please consider donating £5 or more to help towards these fees.
All donations are securely managed through PayPal. Amounts donated are not published online.

Many thanks for your kind support.

Model Boats Website Team

Donation History
October 2017: 6 people
September 2017: 15 people
August 2017: 10 people
July 2017: 16 people
June 2017: 8 people
May 2017: 8 people
April 2017: 23 people
March 2017: 9 people
February 2017: 5 people

Unique Visitors This Month

Website Members

Terms and Conditions
Privacy Policy
Advertising
Contact

Model Boats Website
Active Users (22)
Login or Register
To Remove This Ad
Login or Register
To Remove This Ad
>> Home > Forum > Boat Specific Chit Chat! > Veron Huntsman 28
Veron Huntsman 28
(3085 views)
Biggles
(Sub-Lieutenant)

Forum Posts: 23
29th Feb 2016 15:16  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/20935

HI All
I recently purchased a Veron Huntsman 42, it has twin prop shafts and rudders, I would like to convert it to brushless outrunner. Can anyone suggest motors, ESCs, propellers and Lipo battery sizes, any help gratefully received.
Thank you Biggles

AlanP
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 385
29th Feb 2016 20:36  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/20939

Dave M will probable help you out biggles as soon as he wakes up. 😁

Alan

Haverlock
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 401
29th Feb 2016 22:21  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/20940

I can make a suggestion since you need a simple system

Have a look at these systems

http://www.cornwallmodelboats.co.uk/acatalog/Brushless_Motor...

at only 28 inch the smaller of the 3 would be more than powerful enough.

Remove the red receiver lead from one of the ESC so only one BEC is in use. and couple them together through a "y" lead.

a 3cell LIPO would provide all the power you need chose a capacity to suit the available space.

If your not used to LIPO batteries then PLEASE READ UP ON THEM FIRST they are not robust.

You would also need a LIPO specific balanced charger.

Even though the 2 ESC would be driven by the same control channel you can still have contra-rotating props you can reverse the direction of a brushless motor by just swapping over and 2 of the 3 motor leads.

"that's not a bug its just an undocumented creature."

Sir Terence David John "Terry" Pratchett, OBE (28 April 1948 - 12 March 2015)
Dave M
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 1351
1st Mar 2016 10:15  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/20944

HI Biggles
I believe Haverlock's suggestion should prove suitable and Mtronics are very good at designing escs for model boats. Their Esc is also suitable for LiPo use as it will cut off piowerr if the cell voltage drops too low.

The motor is a 1000kv which is the shaft speed you will likely get for each volt of your battery. You will not need big props otherwise you will overload the motor and three bladed brass possibly 35mm would be my starting point.

The power available however with two motors will be far greater than required for a 28" boat so you will need to reduce the throttle control on your Tx.

My 34" crash tender has one 28 size brushless and with 11.1v Lipo (2200mA) is quite uncontrollable without this.

I use a Futaba 6Ex Tx which allows me to adjust the throttle stick output to about 45% in my case and I also have a differential set up on the rudder controlled by a switch as full rudder at high speed is dangerous.

There are other sets available that offer the same functionality but my Planet 5 channel was unsuitable.

LiPos are high tech and become very unstable if overcharged or discharged below a set voltage (about 3.3v). They are fragile compared to NiMh and should never be dropped and need discarding if they sustain damage. The internal chemical processes are stable at the nominal cell voltage 3.7v but become increasingly less stable above and below this voltage.
Unlike other technologies the chemicals can not be restored once a parameter has been exceeded and and in the worst case scenario a chain reaction takes place.

You will also need a LiPo charger. Do follow the instruction to the letter and never leave the battery on charge unattended. I have a charge bag and use the metal bench in my garage when charging LiPos.

Good luck and please ask if you need more help
Dave

Live long and prosper

Dave
Biggles
(Sub-Lieutenant)

1st Mar 2016 11:08  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/20945

HI Dave

Thank you for your kind information.

The Veron Huntsman 42 is 42" long, I have been looking at Tornado Thumper brushless motors as they get a very good write up, probably using 2 x 14.8 lipos and one speed controller for both motors. I have a Futaba 6EX that I can use as you do!

I have used lipos before and have a charging bag and only charge them outside and always attended.

I would like the props to run counter clockwise, so I will need 'handed' props, probably from the "Prop Shop".

Any further help gratefully received, best regards Biggles

Attached Files - Click To View Large

Haverlock
(Fleet Admiral!)

1st Mar 2016 11:37  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/20948

like Topsy it growed ~laughs~ unless I am having a VERY senior moment I am sure it was listed at 28"

Dave M
(Fleet Admiral!)

1st Mar 2016 12:06  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/20949

HI Biggles

Happy to share knowlege and info and pleased you found it helpful.
With the larger boat the motors will be more suitable and if you tell Simon at Prop Shop what you are using he will suggest the best prop. I sourced the brass three bladed prop for my Sea Queen from him and it is truly superb.
It is not possible to use one Esc with brushless as the motors provide feedback to the esc to control the speed. Sorry you will need two.
Giant Cod used to have a range of suitable kit but Google will provide a host of UK based suppliers. If you need reverse this can be difficult to find as model cars and planes still provide most sales. I always ask the seller before buying and if they don't know chances are its forward only.
regards
Dave

Live long and prosper

Dave
Biggles
(Sub-Lieutenant)

1st Mar 2016 12:14  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/20950

HI DaveM

Thank you for the PropShop contact and info regarding speed controllers, if you need 2 how do you control them on your transmitter? Can you pair them together?

Sorry for the questions but I want to try and get it right without too much expense.

Regards Paul

Biggles
(Sub-Lieutenant)

1st Mar 2016 12:16  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/20951

Sorry Haverlock, it was posted as a 28, my mistake, a senior moment!

Biggles
(Sub-Lieutenant)

1st Mar 2016 12:21  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/20952

The model in question!

Dave M
(Fleet Admiral!)

1st Mar 2016 13:34  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/20953

HI Paul
I use two vertical sticks, one for each channel but you could use one channel and stick with a y lead to two escs. I used to fly planes so two sticks is something I am used to and does mean I can steer just using the motors. Brushless seem to be quite well matched so if you use the same types of motor and esc with the same settings I would expect the speed to each prop to keep in step.

I also have a Taranis Tx which can be programmed to control two channels from one stick as well as providing a mixing function from the rudder stick. Haverlock has recently invested in one after I mentioned the functionality and is studying the manual to try and master the possibilities!

Looks a nice model but I can only see one prop. There is a u-tube video https://youtu.be/8txjSIiUtJE which shows the model at speed using one brushless motor.

The 28 refers to the full size length of 28' with a scale length of 42".

This is very similar to my Sea Queen. I don't have any video but am attaching a couple of pics. I get similar speeds to this video.

Unless you have a particular desire for two props, the cheapest option would be to use one with a larger motor. Mine is 42xx and 80amp esc 11.1v 5000mA Lipo. Draws about 30 amps flat out.

cheers
Dave

Live long and prosper

Dave
Haverlock
(Fleet Admiral!)

1st Mar 2016 16:49  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/20954

You can use a "Y" lead and send 1 channel to 2 ESCs but 2 motors NEED 2 ESCs when you have brushless no way out of it sorry.

The 30 combo will have more than enough grunt and with the ability to drive 30A through a motor means that your ESC will survive your playing with props.

Please remember to remove one of the red ESC to RX leads so your not feeding 2 BEC 5V power inputs to your RX else it might FRY.

Yes I have a Taranis and if you want any crazy combo from your TX you got it!!! With 18 channels the ability to mix anything with anything including the ability to have a mix when a set of conditions is chosen but not otherwise.(without needing to flick another switch) OHH and the TX talks to you ( mine has now a collection of naughty words).

ChrisF
(Seaman)

Forum Posts: 6
7th Oct 2016 23:52  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/23793

Interesting that you have a Huntsman 28. I'm a beginner and didn't know that there were models of that boat produced and haven't come across any plans.

I've got a Huntsman 31, the big 46" one, bought already built, but as you probably know the bow shape on those is different to the earlier 28 foot boat.

So I'm going to draw up my own plans as I want to build at 1:12 i.e. 28" long.

Quite a challenge as I've never built a boat! But I'm going to build a Swordsman 33 first at 1:12 and am in the process of scaling up some drawings for that.

Concentrating on the fine Fairey Marine boats