Cookies used in this website are gluten free, wheat free and dairy free. By using this website you agree to our use of cookies. More Info
Login Below
Join Us On Social Media!

Get The Model Boats App!
Apple App Store
Android app on Google Play

Help Support This Website
£
or enter custom amount

(Non Contributor)

Help support this free
website and donate.

£285 a year is needed to keep the website and apps online. Please consider donating £5 or more to help towards these fees.
All donations are securely managed through PayPal. Amounts donated are not published online.

Many thanks for your kind support.

Model Boats Website Team

Donation History
October 2017: 7 people
September 2017: 15 people
August 2017: 10 people
July 2017: 16 people
June 2017: 8 people
May 2017: 8 people
April 2017: 23 people
March 2017: 9 people
February 2017: 4 people

Unique Visitors This Month

Website Members

Terms and Conditions
Privacy Policy
Advertising
Contact

Model Boats Website
Active Users (30)
Login or Register
To Remove This Ad
Login or Register
To Remove This Ad
>> Home > Forum > Boat Specific Chit Chat! > Aeronaut Pilot Boat
Aeronaut Pilot Boat
(8946 views)
cormorant
(Admiral)

Forum Posts: 163
25th Apr 2016 18:37  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/21711

For my next project I am looking at the Pilot Boat by Aeronaut.
www.cornwallmodelboats.co.uk/.../Aeronaut-Pilot-Boat-3046-00.htm
I am unable to find any reviews or information, apart from the somewhat limited information on the web.
I am not new to model boats but I am new to electric power. It is suggested that two motors are used (not supplied).
The kit seems to be very detailed with scope to add.
Any advice would be much appreciated.

Steve

Attached Files - Click To View Large

Flack
(Admiral)

Forum Posts: 153
26th Apr 2016 22:42  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/21737

HI Steve,

In My travels around the web I came across this:

http://www.aero-naut.de/fileadmin/redaktion/downloads/en/anl...

I, too was looking at it as a possible purchase (cheapest on the internet at Arrow Models £144-95p, £5 more if you buy it from same Company on E bay), bit nervous about the "plastic" material of the kit so decided to give it a miss. Suppose it would be possible to use the kit as a template to build in plasticard.

Shaun

cormorant
(Admiral)

27th Apr 2016 07:56  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/21738

HI Shaun

I have since managed to download the instructions from the aeronaut website.
I think the 'plastic' is called depron and there are various items on youtube about bending it. It looks pretty straightforward but I note your concern.
I am still keen and Howes Models sell them for £145.
I plan to visit next week and have a look at the kit.
I will let you know how I get on

Steve

cormorant
(Admiral)

10th May 2016 09:09  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/21991

Hi Shaun

Off to Howes tomorrow to get the kit. I have seen the kit owned by a fellow club member and I am really impressed with the detail and quality of the parts.
One of the glues recommended for ABS to metal is Stabilit express. This costs an arm and a leg, even on Amazon.
Any thoughts on a cheaper, but still reliable alternative?

Steve

Flack
(Admiral)

Forum Posts: 153
10th May 2016 09:42  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/21992

Hi Steve,

Best of luck with the kit. hope it turns out well. I'm afraid I can't advise you with regard to the glue to use, its far from one of my strong points

Shaun

cormorant
(Admiral)

10th May 2016 11:03  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/21993

Thanks Shaun. No pun intended with glue not being one of your 'strong' points?
It's a bit of a 'sticking' point with me.
Sorry.

Steve

Kipper
(Sub-Lieutenant)

Forum Posts: 13
10th May 2016 12:09  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/21994

This comes highly reccommended by the good folk on Model Boat Mayhem ............
http://www.screwfix.com/p/evo-stik-sticks-like-sh-t-clear-29...

Dave M
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 1351
10th May 2016 12:49  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/21996

Hi Steve
An alternative to Stablit Express is http://www.gluelines.co.uk/product/uhu-plus-plus-acrylit-2-c...
Specs re: 2-component adhesive based on methacrylate. It bonds a variety of model building plastics as well as wood, glass and metal.
Application time is 7-10 minutes, initial bonding strength after 15 min at room temperature.
Abradable after 25 min. Gap filling.
Problem is it is supplied from Germany and the postage costs are high. Some model shops do stock and I have used the glue and it does stick plastic to metal/wood etc. Stablit was used on Plastic model planes when I used to make and fly planes and it was essential to form a good bond that would withstand the odd knock. There is probably a H&S reason for its non availability generally in the UK. I have also seen it advertised on Amazon but again at high postage costs.
Good luck with finding a suitable glue
Dave

Live long and prosper

Dave
Haverlock
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 403
10th May 2016 13:00  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/21997

http://www.modelshopleeds.co.uk/catalog/product_info.php?man...

Uhu Plus Acrylit (Stablit Express Equiv.) 24ml £7.25

expensive ( sort of) but if it does what it says on the tin ......

"that's not a bug its just an undocumented creature."

Sir Terence David John "Terry" Pratchett, OBE (28 April 1948 - 12 March 2015)
cormorant
(Admiral)

10th May 2016 13:18  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/21998

Thanks for your help Gentlemen.

Uhu Plus Acrylit (Stablit Express Equiv.) 24ml £7.25 seems the best option and shipping is only £2.50.

Dave M
(Fleet Admiral!)

10th May 2016 14:04  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/21999

Excellent. They have a few in stock. Bargain at this price.
Dave

Live long and prosper

Dave
figtree7nts
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 319
23rd Jun 2016 22:35  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/22626

Hi Comorant, did you get the Aeronaut-Pilot-Boat, and if so how is the kit? i'm thinking of purchasing it myself for my next project!
Ed

"Fair winds calm Seas"
cormorant
(Admiral)

24th Jun 2016 01:17  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/22630

Hi Ed

Yes, I got it some weeks ago from Howes for £145, though I see Puffin Models have them for £135.
The kit is very detailed and of excellent quality with easy to follow instructions.

I have just finished the frame work for the hull and due to the supplied jig and fine laser cutting it was very straightforward. Still plenty of work to do but so far I am very pleased.

I would certainly recommend it.

Steve

figtree7nts
(Fleet Admiral!)

24th Jun 2016 18:33  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/22638

Hi Steve,

Thank for the review! I'm going to send for the kit from CMB I emailed them about how much would be the shipping. see I'm here in the states and I don't know of any model stores in my area that might carry the aeronaut pilot boat! it looks like a fun project I'm hoping to get mine in a few weeks! thanks again for sharing the picture. now I know what I'll be up against looks like fun and I'll stay busy.

Ed

"Fair winds calm Seas"
cormorant
(Admiral)

24th Jun 2016 19:38  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/22640

Hi Ed

Sorry for not realising you lived in the States, I'm still in shock about the fact that half the population of this country have voted to leave the E.U. ! Just hope it doesn't all end in tears.

I'm sure you will enjoy the project. Perhaps we can compare notes in due course?
The Pilot Boat is my first venture into electric power.

I have attached a couple of pics of a project that I have just finished which I am quite pleased with. It is a model of 1930's yawl called Stormy Weather from a kit by Colombini.

Steve

figtree7nts
(Fleet Admiral!)

25th Jun 2016 03:10  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/22642

Hi Steve, well I for one hope everything work out!
Your model yawl looks outstanding! I was admiring it on one of the other threads.
and yes I will definitely be comparing notes with you!
question what motors and controllers will you be using?

Ed

"Fair winds calm Seas"
cormorant
(Admiral)

25th Jun 2016 08:37  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/22644

Morning Ed and thanks for the support.
As I said, this is my first venture into electrics so my choice has been very much made on advisement.
I will be using bog standard 540 brushed motors and Viper marine 15 controllers (with the set up button).
I have been advised not to use Lipo batteries as they can be a bit volatile if not handled correctly. I will be using 3700 mah NiMH batteries in a pack of 6 to give me 7.2 volts.
Hope this makes sense.

Steve

figtree7nts
(Fleet Admiral!)

25th Jun 2016 19:51  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/22645

Good evening Steve, thanks for the info on how your going to setup your boat!
I've heard of these Lipo batteries to me they sound unstable but never the less,
I'll stay with nimh batteries myself!
I'm a little concerned about putting together the aeronaut life boat.
I've never worked on a hull that uses a jib assembly! so I'm going to be asking
you a lot of questions trying to decide if I want to indulge in such a project!
it's assembly reminds me of plank on frame which makes me very nervous!!! ❓

"Fair winds calm Seas"
cormorant
(Admiral)

26th Jun 2016 07:33  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/22650

Hi Ed.
The jig works fine for construction of the frame.
The hull sides come in four sheets of thin plastic, one for each side of the upper and one for each side of the lower.
The upper sides are fitted first and held in place with pre moulded lugs on the stringers (which are later snapped off) and tape.
It is quite fiddly and time consuming to get the sides to fit, particularly round the bow and I have had to use lots of tape.
The glue is curing as we speak and I will let you know the result when I remove the tape later today with pics before and after.

Steve

figtree7nts
(Fleet Admiral!)

26th Jun 2016 18:58  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/22659

Hi Steve,
I'm patiently waiting for your pictures.
I downloaded the instructions and I've been studying them for the past day or so!
my concern is in shaping the bow area but, I'll see how yours turns out!
then make a decision to purchase or not.
I've been looking at the Dumas San Pedro Push Tug as a possible alternative ! I can't help it I love Tugs.

"Fair winds calm Seas"
cormorant
(Admiral)

26th Jun 2016 19:36  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/22660

Hi Ed.

Had a bit of a disastrous day. Getting the boats ready for my weekly sail I broke the main mast on my yawl - my pride and joy!

Showing my friend the progress on the pilot boat I noticed that I had not fitted one side properly. This was due to the shaping around the bow, so you are right to be concerned.

I spent the morning unpicking the glue before it cured and making the best of a bad job by re sticking. Things couldn't get much worse when I ran out of glue before I finished. I hope I can redeem the situation!
How I long for the old days of wooden construction when the bow was shaped out of a block of balsa and the plywood sides were steamed into shape before fixing them with Cascamite and brass pins.

I will let you know my progress but I wouldn't blame you if you decided not to go ahead.

Steve

figtree7nts
(Fleet Admiral!)

26th Jun 2016 21:04  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/22662

Hi Steve,
Sorry to here about the mast on your Model yawl! I know she's your pride and joy!
I thought I was right, about there being to many veriable. regarding the build of the Pilot Boat by Aeronaut!
as you progress in the building of your pilot boat. please keep me informed as I need to make a big decision!
I'm thinking of just sticking to tugboats, haha!

"Fair winds calm Seas"
cormorant
(Admiral)

26th Jun 2016 22:58  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/22664

Ed
Just finished re glueing and it looks 'ok' from a distance.
If I knew how difficult it would be I would have bought something with a pre formed hull - and I've still got the lower panels to fit!

However, I will press on and keep you informed. I have attached a pic of the hull frame which was quite straightforward. It all went downhill after that.

Speak to you soon.

Steve

figtree7nts
(Fleet Admiral!)

27th Jun 2016 00:48  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/22665

Steve,
The framing looks terrific, it's the sides that I am worried about!
if you don't start the bow area correctly it's oops and reglue!
good luck on your build and I look forward to you updates!
Ed

"Fair winds calm Seas"
figtree7nts
(Fleet Admiral!)

29th Jun 2016 21:54  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/22700

Hi Steve,
How's it going?
quick question does the white sheet that the frames are on does that come with the kit?
and if so do you glue the frames on to it? to help support the framing.

"Fair winds calm Seas"
cormorant
(Admiral)

30th Jun 2016 00:08  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/22703

Hi Ed

It's coming along, but slowly. All I have managed to do is tidy up the re- glued sides and investigate fixing the bottom panels, which looks easier as they do not have to bend so much. I will attach some pics when I have achieved this task.
The good news is that I have rebuilt the mast on my yawl and will be stepping it tomorrow in time for Sunday at the lake.
The white sheet is in fact a polystyrene jig and does come with te kit. There are lugs on the frames (which are later snapped off), which fit into corresponding slots in the jig. This ensures that they are correctly positioned to take the keel and stringers. Makes life a lot easier.
Steve

figtree7nts
(Fleet Admiral!)

30th Jun 2016 03:44  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/22704

Hi Steve,
Glad to here about the mast!
as for your pilot boat hope all is going well!
as for me still waiting patiently for your updates and pics.

good night!

"Fair winds calm Seas"
cormorant
(Admiral)

30th Jun 2016 21:11  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/22714

Hi Ed
Two pics for you showing the upper hull sides in place.
You will see that the bottom panels, yet to be fitted, are pre-cut to take the prop tubes and rudders, as are the appropriate frames.
Frame 3, counting from the bow, is pre-drilled to take the motors and is also at the correct angle for the prop shafts.
I will be happier once the bottom panels are in place, but I am reasonably satisfied so far.
Have you made a decision to go ahead yet?
Steve

figtree7nts
(Fleet Admiral!)

30th Jun 2016 23:04  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/22717

Hi Steve,

great work, I've been studying her assembly plans and I'm about 95% sure that I'd like to build her. but, now I'm looking in to what glues are available here in the USA! since the plans call for stabilits and so forth. I might just order some kind of glue from CMB
Oh, thanks for the Pictures their really helpful in my decision!
Question what glue did you use?

Ed

"Fair winds calm Seas"
Dave M
(Fleet Admiral!)

1st Jul 2016 10:47  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/22718

Hi Ed
Stablit can be bought in the UK as UHU Plus Acrylit. Leeds Model Centre (UK) stock. Its made in Germany Art No 48315. UHU have a web site www.UHU.com and you should be able to find a source in the USA. The packaging suggests it may be distributed by Bolton Swiss SA, CH6900 Massagno Tel: 091 960 45 90.
Not the cheapest of glues but it makes a really strong joint. When I used to make and fly model planes it was the best glue to use with the plastic to wood joints.
Dave

Live long and prosper

Dave
cormorant
(Admiral)

1st Jul 2016 10:49  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/22719

Morning Ed.
I'm using Bison glue for hard plastic, available on Amazon, for plastic to plastic.
Cyano for tacking and two part epoxy glue and Milliput epoxy putty for gap filling.

Steve

figtree7nts
(Fleet Admiral!)

1st Jul 2016 17:04  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/22721

Hi Dave,
Hi Steve,

Thanks for the info,
I think what I'm going to do is look for Stabilits here in the USA!
but if I have to order it from a retailer in the UK along with the Aeronaut pilot boat!
I already have two tugboats I don't want a third one.
the pilot boat looks as if it will be a heck of a boat on the water! as it has the right configuration of hull for speed!

Steve,
keep those pictures coming, that way I'll have something to look at besides her plans to help me along!

Ed

"Fair winds calm Seas"
figtree7nts
(Fleet Admiral!)

1st Jul 2016 17:14  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/22722

Hi Dave,
quick question, can I substitute medium CA for UHU Plus Acrylit ? as I have a new bottle of this stuff!
Ed

"Fair winds calm Seas"
Dave M
(Fleet Admiral!)

1st Jul 2016 20:18  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/22725

Hi Ed
No its not a CA glue. Comes in a tube of resin with a quantity of white powder. Mix the two together according to the instructions and apply to the joint. Setting time depends on temp and mixing but is about 15mins. Full strength after 24hrs. You can machine when fully cured.
As Steve has used Bison glue and it works I would be inclined to use the same. CA may react with the plastic so tread carefully. Ordinary resins have difficulty adhering to some plastics, I usually rough the surface but would not use on an important mounting like the engine bearer etc.
Dave

Live long and prosper

Dave
figtree7nts
(Fleet Admiral!)

2nd Jul 2016 00:16  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/22727

Hi Dave,
Thanks I will be ordering some Bison with my kit!
I don't think I want to use a glue, that I have to mix! unless I was a chemist 😁
I'm aware of the A and B components of epoxy and I hate mixing glues!

"Fair winds calm Seas"
figtree7nts
(Fleet Admiral!)

3rd Jul 2016 20:07  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/22751

Hi Steve,
How's your boat coming along?
You know I was looking at her plans and I've been thinking,
how does one go about painting the inside of her cabin!
anyway, have you thought about painting the inside of the cabin.
or like me will you be painting the windows black!

"Fair winds calm Seas"
cormorant
(Admiral)

4th Jul 2016 10:49  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/22759

Morning Ed
Hull construction complete. Could have been better as you can see from the pics, but with Milliput, fine-grade paper and patience I should be able to get a pretty good finish for painting. It is my first attempt at a plastic hull so I'm not too displeased.
I must be more precise when fixing the panels.
It has been suggested that 'Volkswagen Orange' may be appropriate for the hull which I can get from my car DIY store by the aerosol can. Much cheaper than the initial outlay for an airbrush, which I am also considering.
The only thought I have had about painting the inside of the cabin, is that there is so much detail elsewhere, that it would be a shame to black it out.
Have you ordered your kit?

Steve

figtree7nts
(Fleet Admiral!)

4th Jul 2016 14:42  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/22760

Good afternoon Steve,
Great job on the hull! I'm going to be ordering mine in two more weeks!
my financial officer being my wife has spoken, stating the fact to wait two weeks or else!
anyway I'm hoping that I can put mine together as well as you have,
I've never put together a kit like the Aeronaut Pilot Boat! but it looks like fun.
have you thought of how you will be painting the pilot house insides?

"Fair winds calm Seas"
cormorant
(Admiral)

4th Jul 2016 17:43  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/22761

Hi Ed
Sorry, not sure what you mean about painting the inside?
The instructions give some idea of when to paint and I will be following those to a great extent. Certainly before cabin construction is complete.
I will be using different size brushes and Humbrol enamel paints of the appropriate colours and finish.
Hope this helps.
Steve

figtree7nts
(Fleet Admiral!)

4th Jul 2016 20:57  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/22762

Hi Steve,
I was referring to the bridge and also aft of the bridge where the four seats are!
but I'm glad you mentioned they give some sort of painting instructions.
I too have quite an assortment of brushes, for the task of painting my boats!
do they recommend a set of colors to use? or is it up to the builders discretion.

"Fair winds calm Seas"
cormorant
(Admiral)

4th Jul 2016 21:31  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/22764

Builders discretion for the colours. I mentioned Volkswagen Orange which I had a look at earlier today. Looks a pretty good match to the pictures on the box so I have bought a couple of aerosol tins.
I will be sanding the hull tomorrow and hopefully giving it a coat of grey primer.
I will keep you updated.

figtree7nts
(Fleet Admiral!)

4th Jul 2016 22:28  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/22765

Thanks, for the updates I'm going to go to my local auto parts store and look to see if I can find that shade of orange!
talk to you soon!

Ed

"Fair winds calm Seas"
figtree7nts
(Fleet Admiral!)

9th Jul 2016 13:00  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/22824

Hi Steve
How's your aeronaut pilot boat coming along? I've still got about a week to go before I can order mine!

Ed

"Fair winds calm Seas"
cormorant
(Admiral)

12th Jul 2016 17:59  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/22864

Hi Ed
Sorry for the delay but I have just spent a superb weekend in Antwerp watching the start of the Tall Ships Race, a 70th birthday treat from my wife. Just as an appetiser I have attached a picture of the CUAUHTEMOC, a square rigger of the Mexican Navy. She was just leaving the port to the sound of loud Mexican music. We watched the crew climb the masts before leaving the quayside. A truly fantastic sight.
Work on the pilot boat has been put on hold but I will shortly be giving the hull its final touches before a second coat of primer then undercoat. Will attach more pics then.
Steve

figtree7nts
(Fleet Admiral!)

12th Jul 2016 20:51  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/22865

Hi Steve
Happy 70th I hope you and your wife had a great holiday together!
tall ships are magnificent to look at! it's amazing how tall they really are.
I'm still waiting to order my aeronaut pilot boat!
I've also been looking at a tugboat it's the
DUMAS SAN PEDRO PUSH TUG 1:32 SCALE.
Take a look at the picture what do you think?

"Fair winds calm Seas"
cormorant
(Admiral)

14th Jul 2016 13:15  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/22883

Ed
Never thought too much about tugs, but this one looks very unusual and an interesting design.
I'm sure this will be a great addition to your fleet.
Steve

figtree7nts
(Fleet Admiral!)

14th Jul 2016 18:31  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/22886

Hi Steve

how's your aeronaut pilot boat coming along?

Although the tug San Pedro looks unusual I do think it would make a nice addition to my fleet!
I've been thinking about the Aeronaut Pilot Boat, and I think she'll probably run for about 20 to 30 minutes on one charge!
where as the tug will run for about 3 to 4 hours give or take! oh, I can use the batteries from my other tug Serenity!
one good thing I already have one barge built for my tug to push, I have to take time out and build the second barge
all in all the tug and barges would equal about 9" 6" which for me is a good tow.

Ed

"Fair winds calm Seas"
figtree7nts
(Fleet Admiral!)

21st Jul 2016 00:17  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/22940

Hi Steve

How far along are you on the aeronaut pilot boat build?
Ed

"Fair winds calm Seas"
octman
(Captain)

Forum Posts: 96
21st Jul 2016 11:00  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/22946

Hi Ed,

He seems to have had a problem with his prop shafts-see that thread

Chris

cormorant
(Admiral)

21st Jul 2016 21:50  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/22949

Hi Ed
Progress painfully slow at the moment. Management has decreed that I get on with household chores and dog walking.
However, I have got the starboard motor fitted and waiting for the glue to dry on the port propshaft. Now I know how to use it, I have aligned the tubes with a Protorlign jig which makes life a lot easier.
Next job are the rudders and servo and another coat of undercoat on the hull.
Has your management allowed you to purchase your kit yet?
Steve

figtree7nts
(Fleet Admiral!)

21st Jul 2016 23:05  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/22952

Hi Steve
Your doing a great job on the aeronaut pilot boat, as for me I've decided to get the Push Boat instead!
I think that the aeronaut pilot boat will most likely be my next project!
and I know who I will ask for help from, I mean since you would have built it!
Anyway where did you get the Protorlign jig from, I'm going to need one as well?

"Fair winds calm Seas"
cormorant
(Admiral)

21st Jul 2016 23:46  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/22953

Ed
Link for Protorlign herewith:-
http://www.mobilemarinemodels.com/protorlign-520-p.asp
Best of luck with your Push Boat.
Steve

figtree7nts
(Fleet Admiral!)

22nd Jul 2016 02:38  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/22956

Hi Chris
I don't think Cormorant had a problem, he found the proper solution if he did!
I myself would take it slowly as working with the shafts should be done cautiously!
and to make sure that they are properly aligned!

"Fair winds calm Seas"
figtree7nts
(Fleet Admiral!)

3rd Aug 2016 03:42  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/23078

Hi Cormorant
I've been working on mine for the last week!

"Fair winds calm Seas"
figtree7nts
(Fleet Admiral!)

3rd Aug 2016 03:42  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/23079

Hi Cormorant

"Fair winds calm Seas"
figtree7nts
(Fleet Admiral!)

3rd Aug 2016 03:43  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/23080

Hi Cormorant

Ed

"Fair winds calm Seas"
cormorant
(Admiral)

3rd Aug 2016 07:16  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/23082

Hi Ed
Coming along pretty well. The drive train is in and the motors and rudder work off one stick for slow speed and the other stick for forward and back.
The deck is on, the hull primed and I have just started on the superstructure.
How's yours doing?
Steve

figtree7nts
(Fleet Admiral!)

10th Aug 2016 01:40  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/23179

Hi Steve
Your boat is looking fantastic, great job!
As for mine it's coming along slowly!
My boat is comprised of wood and plastic, so its my first time working with dual componants!
I'm concerned about her sea weartheness, she has a lot of seams and gaps.
I'm hoping she stays afloat when I put her in the water, time will tell.
Ed

"Fair winds calm Seas"
figtree7nts
(Fleet Admiral!)

>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/23180

Hi Steve
My boat is comprised of wood and plastic, so its my first time working with dual componants!
Ed

"Fair winds calm Seas"
figtree7nts
(Fleet Admiral!)

>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/23181

Hi Steve
Ed

"Fair winds calm Seas"
figtree7nts
(Fleet Admiral!)

10th Aug 2016 01:45  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/23182

OOPS, sorry sticky key!

"Fair winds calm Seas"
onetenor
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 167
10th Aug 2016 04:40  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/23183

If you use an expanding glue like Gorilla glue this fills any gaps and acts as caulking.This will deal with the waterproofing problem Also joining dissimilar materials
Good luck. John

figtree7nts
(Fleet Admiral!)

12th Aug 2016 23:40  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/23229

Hi Onetenor

That's a good idea, never thought of Gorilla Glue!
At this point I'm willing to try anything to make sure she don't spring a leak, and stays water tight.

"Fair winds calm Seas"
figtree7nts
(Fleet Admiral!)

14th Aug 2016 01:29  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/23234

Hi Steve
How's your pilot boat coming along?
My tugboat is coming along nicely, I'm working on her rub-rails at the present.

Ed

"Fair winds calm Seas"
cormorant
(Admiral)

14th Aug 2016 20:25  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/23243

Hi Ed
Making steady progress now and her sea trials proved very successful. She looks really good on the plane and her scale speed is there or thereabouts.
As you can see, I have painted the hull above and below the waterline and I am currently working on the deckhouse.
You will see on the pic of the finished boat there is a black stripe just above the waterline, which I estimate to be about 10mm wide.
The answer would be self adhesive tape but I am having trouble sourcing some.
Any thoughts?
Also, any pics of your boat?
Steve

figtree7nts
(Fleet Admiral!)

15th Aug 2016 01:32  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/23244

Hi Steve

Impressive work, As for my Push Boat it's coming along nicely! I just added her rub-rails!
I was thinking about the tape for your boat needs, what about your local auto parts store.
look for pin striping tape, I've seen it before on the internet 3M pin striping tape for automobiles.
hope this helps.

Ed

"Fair winds calm Seas"
figtree7nts
(Fleet Admiral!)

15th Aug 2016 01:33  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/23245

Hi Steve

Impressive work, As for my Push Boat it's coming along nicely! I just added her rub-rails!
I was thinking about the tape for your boat needs, what about your local auto parts store.
look for pin striping tape, I've seen it before on the internet 3M pin striping tape for automobiles.
hope this helps.

Ed

"Fair winds calm Seas"
figtree7nts
(Fleet Admiral!)

15th Aug 2016 01:49  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/23246

Steve

Here a thought, I can look on my side there's a auto parts store not to far from me.
I can go look to see if they have pin striping tape, and send it to you!
Just a thought.

"Fair winds calm Seas"
cormorant
(Admiral)

15th Aug 2016 08:06  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/23247

Ed

Great idea, thanks! It's helpful when you know the name of the item you are looking for.
I can feel a visit to my auto parts store coming on.
Will let you know.
Steve

cormorant
(Admiral)

15th Aug 2016 18:23  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/23248

Ed
Success! Don't know about you but I'm pretty pleased with what $3 worth of pin stripe can do.
Thank you so much for pointing me in the right direction.
Steve

figtree7nts
(Fleet Admiral!)

15th Aug 2016 19:07  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/23249

I'm glad you found the right tape.
Great job on the taping...
Ed

"Fair winds calm Seas"
cormorant
(Admiral)

24th Aug 2016 17:54  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/23338

Hi Ed
A few more pics showing progress on the boat. Still much to do as the kit is very detailed, but I've made a start on the lighting and the sound system.
How is yours?
Steve

figtree7nts
(Fleet Admiral!)

24th Aug 2016 19:27  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/23343

Hi Steve
Your boat looks great, your doing a fine job on her! can't wait to see the finished out come!
As for my push boat I had a problem with water ingress but have solved it, she now floats with no water ingress! 👍
I think the lights are a great part of the details of the Pilot Boat, I showed my wife the pics of your boat and she wants my to get one for my winter project!

Ed

"Fair winds calm Seas"
cormorant
(Admiral)

25th Aug 2016 06:58  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/23344

Hi Ed
Your push boat is coming along nicely I see!

Just a word of warning if you do get the pilot boat. I have been told that I used too much glue when I stuck the plastic sheets to the frames when making the hull. The chemical reaction caused too much heat thus causing the sheet to pull too tight and the frames to show through, even though I followed instructions by taping the sheets first and then glueing from the inside.
I should have used a brush to apply the glue which would have regulated the amount.
This advice came from John at Jotika who makes and supplies kits to the trade so I would think it accurate.
Best of luck with your push boat.
Speak to you soon.

Steve

figtree7nts
(Fleet Admiral!)

25th Aug 2016 12:49  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/23353

Hi Steve
Good Morning, and thank you for the advice. I will keep this in mind when i get my pilot boat.
I know that some times the metal plate on steel boats show a lines, all i can say about your boat is it has extra details of plating, 👍
I like the way your boats coming out, looks good.
As for my push boat I had a problem with Ingress but I have resolved it, with a little extra glue!

Ed

"Fair winds calm Seas"
figtree7nts
(Fleet Admiral!)

18th Sep 2016 18:46  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/23557

Hi Steve
How's your Pilot Boat coming along?
As for my San Pedro Push Boat she's about 99.8% completed, attached you'll find a picture!

Ed

"Fair winds calm Seas"
cormorant
(Admiral)

18th Sep 2016 20:57  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/23558

Hi Ed

Yours sure looks the part now! I've been following your build blog with interest and I hope you have now cured your leak.
Like you, I have almost finished the pilot boat. I am struggling with the lighting circuit at the moment but hope to have it done in time for an evening regatta at a nearby club in a couple of weeks. The radar revolves and I am hoping to motorise the searchlight. Once complete I will post a short video.
A couple of pics attached. I am quite pleased with the way she is turning out.
Steve

sigfortunata
(Sub-Lieutenant)

Forum Posts: 2
18th Sep 2016 22:03  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/23560

Hi I've been following your Pilot build as I am just about to start to build one.

Can I ask , how did you achieve the textured Non slip deck look? Previously I've tried specialist paint finishes and sands but yours looks really good 👍

Steve

cormorant
(Admiral)

18th Sep 2016 22:47  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/23564

Hi Steve

A pot of green acrylic paint ( £1.20 from my local art shop) mixed with silver sand I use for the block paving on the drive.
Two or three tests to get the mix about right - nothing scientific. When brushing it on the deck I made sure I got a fairly even distribution and there were no 'bald patches' and once dry I brushed on a coat of satin varnish to complete the effect.
I admit to surprising myself with the simplicity and being pleased with the overall effect.
Hope this helps.

Steve

sigfortunata
(Sub-Lieutenant)

Forum Posts: 2
18th Sep 2016 23:10  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/23566

Thanks Steve

sounds like a the sort of thing that needs a practice before final attempt.

I take it any very fine sand dry sand will work as paving sand usually only comes in big bags!

Pet shops sell fine sands for aquariums I might try them

Steve

figtree7nts
(Fleet Admiral!)

18th Sep 2016 23:29  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/23567

Hi Steve

All I can say is bravo, outstanding job.
I showed my wife the picture of your pilot boat, she took one looked at my San Pedro.
and said why didn't you get that one instead, I was shocked but had to explain,
I really like collecting Model Tugs.

Oh, Good luck on her lighting, I will be waiting patiently for your video.

Ed

"Fair winds calm Seas"
cormorant
(Admiral)

19th Sep 2016 08:38  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/23568

Hi Steve
Provided you have mixed enough paint/sand, you can always touch it up even after the paint has dried.
As for the type, I had some left over from doing the drive, but even a bag only costs a fiver. You might pay over the odds at a pet shop.
Pity you don't live closer - you would be very welcome to some of mine.
Anyway, best of luck.
Steve

glyn44
(Petty Officer)

Forum Posts: 10
31st Dec 2016 14:02  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/24950

Hi you guys,
I have just received my pilot kit. Never built a boat, so gonna be a long, but interesting journey!
I have picked up your tips, things to avoid, or how to do a particular task. Thanks for those.
Is there anything specific I should know, do, or not do before I start.
Regards Glyn

Let's sail in calm waters
jarvo
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 441
31st Dec 2016 15:21  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/24954

2 good one's, dont rush & measure twice and cut once, if your not sure we are all hear for you

Etherow Model Boat Club
cormorant
(Admiral)

31st Dec 2016 18:01  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/24959

Hi Glyn
An excellent choice if I may say so. I am very pleased with mine, particularly at this time of year with all the onboard lighting.
The most difficult part of my build was skinning the hull. Although the plastic sheet is flexible it requires bending in two planes to accommodate the curvature.
The skins are held in place with tape then glued to the bulkheads on the inside.
My mistake(s) were failing to take enough time positioning the skins, particularly fore and aft, not using enough tape and using too much glue.
The chemical reaction created by the glue, caused the plastic to heat up and shrink resulting
in the bulkheads showing through - see pic 1.
Initially this caused me some concern but when I had
finished the build I was pleased with the overall result - pic 2.
Best of luck.

Steve

glyn44
(Petty Officer)

31st Dec 2016 20:23  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/24966

Thanks, points taken and hopefully heeded. If my boat looks as yours Steve I'll be very satisfied. Nice job.
Is the paint VW orange, and did you brush or spray?

cormorant
(Admiral)

1st Jan 2017 08:20  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/24971

Thanks Glyn. It is Halfords VW Brilliant Orange aerosol finished with Autoglym car polish. I used Halfors filler/primer to give a good base.

Steve

glyn44
(Petty Officer)

2nd Jan 2017 15:52  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/24987

Cheers, many thanks.
My hull is up, trying to decide what motors I fancy, and where to get them from, along with props, controllers, switching unit, leds, and various other grubbing that's required. Like to get in one go, save postage, fed up with paying £3:50 or more for a one tiny item I forgot! Sure you know how it is.

glyn44
(Petty Officer)

2nd Jan 2017 15:56  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/24988

Just wondered is there a specific filler I can use to close any of the small gaps before painting?

jarvo
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 441
2nd Jan 2017 17:26  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/24993

Hi Glyn, I use pro type car body filler, look on line for your local bodyshop supplies, they will sell you filler in any size and the hardener, far cheaper than Halfords price

Etherow Model Boat Club
cormorant
(Admiral)

3rd Jan 2017 08:10  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/25009

Hi Glyn
I got all my running gear from Howes Models which is where I bought the kit. It was on their recommendation and I got 540 brushed motors, three bladed brass props and Mtroniks Viper marine ESCs. This gives me what I consider to be a good scale speed.
For gap filling I use Milliput and for small cracks, decorators caulk.
Cheers. Steve

NickW
(Lieutenant)

Forum Posts: 75
27th May 2017 21:01  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/29413

Some really good posts here, i'm also on the brink of purchasing the Pilot boat.....never built one before but if keep to the advice and tips given then I should be ok.....I hope --- Steve did you have a successful launch when you sailed it for the first time?

cormorant
(Admiral)

27th May 2017 22:46  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/29414

Hi Nick

Yes, I was very pleased with the final model and its maiden voyage. It looks particularly good with all the lights on. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4pTQgjg8ZuY&t=3s
Just a reminder, be very precise when positioning the hull skins and don't use too much glue as the ribs will show through.
Best of luck.
Steve

onetenor
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 167
27th May 2017 22:53  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/29415

Early in this thread I saw Depron mentioned as being the material of the build Was this so ? If so what glue was used in the build. UHU por or similar brand is usually recommended.Re Glueing metal to plastic good old Gorilla Glue is the one Much cheaper then those others and has good gap filling too.👍

NickW
(Lieutenant)

Forum Posts: 75
29th May 2017 11:06  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/29438

Just watched that youtube clip......pretty good with all the lights on Steve

Skipper44
(Sub-Lieutenant)

2nd Jun 2017 09:34  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/29591

Hey,
I've really enjoyed reading this build log, I was wondering what the dimensions of your 540 motors were? because in the instructions (i'm about to start building it) it says to use a graupner 400 speed which is significantly smaller than the two graupner 600 speed motors that i was intending to put in it. Do you think they would fit? How much spare room is there?
Many thanks for any help,
Yours
Tintin

cormorant
(Admiral)

2nd Jun 2017 11:14  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/29593

Hi Tintin
The motors were recommended by Howes Models when I bought the kit, together with the three bladed 35mm brass props.
Motors fitted no problem with plenty of room for all the other electrics. Don't know how the price compares with Graupner but I am pleased with the performance.
Hope this helps
Steve

figtree7nts
(Fleet Admiral!)

3rd Jun 2017 02:18  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/29608

Hi Cormorant,

I've been meaning to ask you. are the LED's included for the lights of the Pilot Boat? Or do you have to purchase them separately!

Ed

"Fair winds calm Seas"
cormorant
(Admiral)

3rd Jun 2017 06:47  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/29609

Hi Ed
Three LEDs were supplied, two for the bow lights and one for the searchlight.
The remainder I had to purchase but they cost next to nothing on ebay.
Steve

Skipper44
(Sub-Lieutenant)

3rd Jun 2017 09:06  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/29611

Thank you very much for the speedy reply! Yes I have purchased some LED's off Ebay, ended up with 10 of each colour as thats the minimum you can buy! So plenty to spare if anyone wants a couple. I have also got an electro magnet which I intend on gluing (or sticking somehow so it doesnt warp the side) to the inside of the boat just above waterline. I will operate it on a seperate channel where i can turn it on and off using a turngy switch. This way i can come along side the model jettys that I have which have metal in them and attach on. I have been greatly admiring your photos cormorant! If you have a chance anymore videos of her running would be amazing! When i start mine in a couple of weeks I am going to do a time lapse and a stage by stage review until she is finnished and post it on youtube I think, only because there is very little of this boat on youtube.
Anyway, many thanks for the help!
Tintin

figtree7nts
(Fleet Admiral!)

3rd Jun 2017 10:27  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/29627

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the reply, I was just wondering about the lights!
And now I now, eventually I'll get a Pilot boat myself.
But for now I have your Pilot boat post to look at!
Oh, and now I know if I ever get the Pilot Boat to get the LED's from Ebay!

Ed

"Fair winds calm Seas"
figtree7nts
(Fleet Admiral!)

3rd Jun 2017 10:40  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/29629

Hi Skipper44,

I am looking forward to your build blog, It sounds as if it's going to be greatly detailed blog. I look forward to seeing how your Electro Magnet gets in Incorporated in to the Pilot Boat Model!
I'll be waiting Patiently for your first post!

Ed

"Fair winds calm Seas"
cormorant
(Admiral)

3rd Jun 2017 13:34  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/29632

Hi Tintin
I also look forward to your build blog and time lapse.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqdJwdKWjLv2tEaiLqWnGJw
should take you to my youtube channel and one of the videos shows my pilot boat helping with some ice breaking on our lake.
Steve

Skipper44
(Sub-Lieutenant)

3rd Jun 2017 15:12  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/29634

Thanks figtree7nts, I cant wait myself! I hope to get it done before the summer holidays, hope your tug boat is fairing well! 😁 Thank you for the link cormorant, I shall take a look! 👍
Tintin

figtree7nts
(Fleet Admiral!)

3rd Jun 2017 16:08  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/29637

Hi Tintin,

My Tugboat came out OK, She is complete now.
but, I haven't put her in the water yet! as she has a small leak and I haven't found where from. That's another project I have to work on.

"Fair winds calm Seas"
Skipper44
(Sub-Lieutenant)

25th Jun 2017 18:20  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/30600

hi guys, i have just finnished my hull with all the electrics and its all watertight etc but no rubbing strake was included in my box?! was this the same with yours? if so where did you buy yours?
Thanks
Tintin
ps i have put a video on youtube etc but will post all the links on a build log im starting soon!

Skipper44
(Sub-Lieutenant)

25th Jun 2017 18:27  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/30604

PPS Have just started my log!
https://model-boats.com/builds/view/30601?t=1498411507

Skipper44
(Sub-Lieutenant)

25th Jun 2017 18:32  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/30605

sorry to post again just checked the instructions and it says that the rubbing strake is optional but not included!? i find this very annoying as the kit is hardly cheap and is missing quite a lot like the grease/silicone tubing for the rudder waterseal. I was wondering how to make/ where to get a rubbing strake? thanks
t

cormorant
(Admiral)

25th Jun 2017 18:45  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/30607

I got mine from Jotika. He actually supplies the trade with this and other kits. Not cheap but it finishes the boat off nicely.
http://jotika-ltd.com/Pages/1024768/index.htm. If you telephone and ask for John, the proprietor, I am sure he will help.

Skipper44
(Sub-Lieutenant)

25th Jun 2017 19:44  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/30611

Thank you very much!
I think I will call aeronaut as the rubbing strake is included in every picture and my mother is a lawyer who advised me to just ask for them to send me one on the grounds of misrepresentation, (I know it says optional in the instructions but you only get the instructions after you buy the boat!)
Fingers crossed.
Thanks
T