Cookies used in this website are gluten free, wheat free and dairy free. By using this website you agree to our use of cookies. More Info
Login Below
Join Us On Social Media!

Get The Model Boats App!
Apple App Store
Android app on Google Play

Help Support This Website
£
or enter custom amount

(Non Contributor)

Help support this free
website and donate.

£285 a year is needed to keep the website and apps online. Please consider donating £5 or more to help towards these fees.
All donations are securely managed through PayPal. Amounts donated are not published online.

Many thanks for your kind support.

Model Boats Website Team

Donation History
October 2017: 6 people
September 2017: 15 people
August 2017: 10 people
July 2017: 16 people
June 2017: 8 people
May 2017: 8 people
April 2017: 23 people
March 2017: 9 people
February 2017: 5 people

Unique Visitors This Month

Website Members

Terms and Conditions
Privacy Policy
Advertising
Contact

Model Boats Website
Active Users (13)
Login or Register
To Remove This Ad
Login or Register
To Remove This Ad
>> Home > Forum > Boat Specific Chit Chat! > Pro Boat Blackjack 29 Fast Electric RTR - Boaty
Pro Boat Blackjack 29 Fast Electric RTR - Boaty
(659 views)
boaty
(Commander)

Forum Posts: 23
3rd Aug 2016 09:40  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/23086

Recently bought a Pro Boat Blackjack 29 Fast Electric and will be running it on 2x 3s li po connected in series. Speed should be in excess of 45 m.p.h.

Raced fast electrics in mid 1990s with J.B Marine Hypercat powered by Graupner 700BB Turbo, water cooled with what would now be a rather ancient 60 amp E.S.C. Power was by two 8.4 volt ni-cads, top speed being between 30 and 40 m.p.h. The transmitter was of the stick type which I found was easy to use.

With the Blackjack as with most of the modern RTR fast electrics, the transmitter appears to be of the wheel type more suitable for cars but I have now changed the radio over and it now has a stick type transmitter.

Has anyone ever had a similar experience with RTR fast electrics and found the need to replace the original radio gear?

Regards Boaty

Dave Keech
jarvo
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 441
3rd Aug 2016 15:59  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/23087

Hi boaty, The Pro Boat radio gear is fairly good, but I have switched mine to Futaba, mainly to match the rest of my boats but also I don't like the wheel type control, I think its down to cost, only 1 TX to cover cars and boats, don't get me wrong it was not because it was faulty.

Mark

Etherow Model Boat Club
boaty
(Commander)

3rd Aug 2016 17:43  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/23088

Hi Mark

I agree with you that having a wheel type transmitter is a form of cost reduction especially for manufacturers who also produce r/c cars.

I have noticed that very powerful I.C boats I have seen never had a wheel transmitter and always use the stick type and this is what made me question Pro Boat for using the other .

Though taking all matters into account, a lot of fast electrics are quicker than some of their I.C counterparts thanks to brushless motors and development of E.S.Cs and battery technology.

Regards Boaty

Dave Keech
AlanP
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 385
3rd Aug 2016 20:53  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/23089

Hi Boaty, all my fast electric boats are on stick transmitter's, including the Blackjack.
Can't be doing with them wheelie things, all my FE's would end up in black bin bags if I used them. 😁

Alan

boaty
(Commander)

4th Aug 2016 09:44  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/23095

Hi Alan

I fully understand why you use stick transmitters. FE manufacturers need to understand this as well. Id have thought that these days with the prices of R.C sets so low it would not make much difference cost wise to include a proper transmitter when you buy an RTR fast electric.

A guy at my local model shop thought the wheelie things were the preference for the U.S.A market . I wonder if those across the pond enjoy trying to repair their models with super glue or is it a C.I.A conspiracy to increase the sales of black bin bags.

Boaty 😀

Dave Keech
andycoburn
(Lieutenant)

Forum Posts: 12
28th Jan 2017 17:09  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/25751

I race IC Multi boats in UK and European competitions. Nearly all the Endurance class (FSR-V) drivers use stick transmitters as the boats require precise sharp turning for the M shape course. However, in both Offshore and Hydro (FSR-H/O) the wheel tx is much more in evidence. Possibly due to the slower response required driving an oval course and the poorer turning of the surface drive boats.
In M class (Fast electric), most of the top drivers use wheel tx nowadays. Again a simple triangle course.