Cookies used in this website are gluten free, wheat free and dairy free. By using this website you agree to our use of cookies. More Info
Login Below
Join Us On Social Media!

Get The Model Boats App!
Apple App Store
Android app on Google Play

Help Support This Website
£
or enter custom amount

(Non Contributor)

Help support this free
website and donate.

£285 a year is needed to keep the website and apps online. Please consider donating £5 or more to help towards these fees.
All donations are securely managed through PayPal. Amounts donated are not published online.

Many thanks for your kind support.

Model Boats Website Team

Donation History
August 2017: 9 people
July 2017: 16 people
June 2017: 8 people
May 2017: 8 people
April 2017: 23 people
March 2017: 9 people
February 2017: 12 people
January 2017: 15 people

Unique Visitors This Month

Website Members

Terms and Conditions
Privacy Policy
Advertising
Contact

Model Boats Website
Active Users (17)
Login or Register
To Remove This Ad

Login or Register
To Remove This Ad
>> Home > Forum > Boat Specific Chit Chat! > Skeg on King Fisher
Skeg on King Fisher
(821 views)
jarvo
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 388
29th Dec 2016 17:26  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/24925

Hi Mate, skeg looks good , but, make sure the prop has good clearance from the stearn end of the skeg. Full size would stop at the shaft end not curl under the prop, this might cause cavitation at the prop tips, depending on the hull depth in the water and the prop revs

Hope this helps

Mark

Etherow Model Boat Club
Dave M
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 1234
31st Dec 2016 10:03  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/24940

Hi Grandpa
I agree with the advice Mark has already given, but would add that the large keel you seem to be adding will make the model difficult to turn. A simple infill from the keel to the shaft will give you all the strength you need without altering the handling characteristics. I usually use a piece of hard balsa to make a fillet. Gouge a slot where it sits on the shaft and epoxy in place. Cover with tissue or cloth coated with sanding sealer or resin.
I am attaching a pic of my Sea Queen which shows the skeg. There is a small flared keel forrard of the skeg but this is part of the original design of this fast planing hull. You could add a short flared keel forrard of your shaft for say an inch or two but not to the full depth.
Good luck and please share the end result
Dave

Attached Files - Click To View Large

Live long and prosper

Dave
jarvo
(Fleet Admiral!)

31st Dec 2016 15:12  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/24952

HI Grandpa, your drawing is much better but i would go with Dave M, just use the infill between the hull and the shaft, it will turn much better, the idea of the slight flair in front of the shaft will allow the water to part around the shaft, probably reducing the disturbance over the prop.

Use a combination, reduced depth in front of the shaft, flared into the hull, then using the infill just to support the shaft

Let us know what you decide.

Mark

Etherow Model Boat Club
jarvo
(Fleet Admiral!)

31st Dec 2016 20:12  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/24964

Hi Grandpa, that perfect, enough under the keel to allow for grounding on the bottom

Etherow Model Boat Club
Dave M
(Fleet Admiral!)

2nd Jan 2017 15:27  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/24984

Hi Grandpa
If you refer to the plan you will see that the hull skins are flush with the keel. This is to allow the model to cut into the water and rise on the plane
If your skeg will also be filed flush until just before the propshaft then this will be similar to the design but with a harder keel to protect against knocks.
Good luck with the build
Dave

Live long and prosper

Dave
jarvo
(Fleet Admiral!)

2nd Jan 2017 18:17  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/24996

Yes mate, the prop tube is about 2" short, the amount of the keel you have had to cut away has weakened the hull structure. As you are in the early stages, i would re-cut the keel with the longer shaft, and try to get the hole smaller making the shaft a tight fit will add to the strength of the keel.

Just a point, the pics are far clearer with the site update

Etherow Model Boat Club
Dave M
(Fleet Admiral!)

2nd Jan 2017 18:49  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/24998

Yes I agree with Mark you need to have a longer propshaft and remake the keel with a slot that fits the propshaft. A short piece of wood either side of the keel inside will keep everything square and strengthen the joint.
When designed the model would have had an IC engine requiring much greater clearance inside the model, resulting in a steep angle and short propshaft.
If you have your motor and coupling it would be a good idea to install the whole assembly before you skin the hull. This will enable you to have a true and free running setup.
Dave

Live long and prosper

Dave
jarvo
(Fleet Admiral!)

2nd Jan 2017 23:05  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/25007

Yes, i see what you mean, with the shaft being extended, try to lower the angle of the shaft, this could be done in situ, or if the keel has not been fitted yet, re-drill the hole so that the shaft and motor will sit closer to the bottom of the hull, you cant go to far as the prop will foul the hull, but as Dave said, the hull was designed for an IC power unit, so needed the space to start the motor

Etherow Model Boat Club
Dave M
(Fleet Admiral!)

3rd Jan 2017 10:17  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/25010

Hi Grandpa
Looking at the latest photos suggests the shaft and keel will be secure and if the prop is clearing the hull then the shaft may be long enough.
You may need to add an extended coupling to allow for the motor. As I mentioned it would be a good idea to fit the motor, coupling shaft and prop now to make sure it all fits nice and square and runs freely. Don't forget you must have thrust washers at either end of the propshaft together with a locknut for both the coupling and prop.😁
I am in the Crewe club and Mark I believe sails with Etherow. We are both North West clubs so a few hundred miles from Canterbury.
Good to hear you have a local modellers Club.
Good building
Dave

Live long and prosper

Dave