Cookies used in this website are gluten free, wheat free and dairy free. By using this website you agree to our use of cookies. More Info
Login Below
Join Us On Social Media!

Get The Model Boats App!
Apple App Store
Android app on Google Play

Help Support This Website
£
or enter custom amount

(Non Contributor)

Help support this free
website and donate.

£285 a year is needed to keep the website and apps online. Please consider donating £5 or more to help towards these fees.
All donations are securely managed through PayPal. Amounts donated are not published online.

Many thanks for your kind support.

Model Boats Website Team

Donation History
December 2017: 4 people
November 2017: 13 people
October 2017: 9 people
September 2017: 15 people
August 2017: 10 people
July 2017: 16 people
June 2017: 8 people
May 2017: 8 people
April 2017: 17 people

Unique Visitors This Month

Website Members

Terms and Conditions
Privacy Policy
Advertising
Contact

Model Boats Website
Active Users (5)
Login or Register
To Remove This Ad

Login or Register
To Remove This Ad
>> Home > Forum > Boat Specific Chit Chat! > Motor upgrade
Motor upgrade
(926 views)
colindavies
(Chief Petty Officer)

Forum Posts: 7
28th Feb 2017 14:52  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/26362

I'm looking to upgrade my 34" model of a 68ft Mk2 RTTL from two johnson 555motors (running on 12V nimh) to running brushless. the speed is reasonable at the moment but a bit more would be better. I've been recommended 1000kv turnigy but which one the D3536 series or the D2836 series, anybody got any ideas which would be the better. I'm aiming to run on 9.6v

Dave M
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 1428
28th Feb 2017 15:26  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/26366

Hi colindavies
The D2836 will be more than adequate. In fact two 22xx type at 1000kv would be also suitable. You will also need two suitable brushless ESCs but they do not need to be more than 30amps each. The props should be the same diameter as the motor case so your existing props may be too big. I use a 35mm 3 bladed brass prop on my 34" Crash tender driven by a 3536 brushless outrunner and it really flies with an 11.1v 2200Ma LiPo.
The 22xx size motors are popular with the quadcopter brigade and e-bay have offers for motors and escs. If you want reverse on the ESC this may be dearer.
Dave

Live long and prosper

Dave
colindavies
(Chief Petty Officer)

28th Feb 2017 15:38  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/26368

Thanks for that Dave, 'll go for the D2836 then, one of our club members uses car esc with reverse as they tend to be cheaper, the price seems to go up if you mention marine.😎

Dave M
(Fleet Admiral!)

28th Feb 2017 15:41  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/26370

I should add that the car ESCs require the engine to stop before reverse can be selected. If you talk to the car friends they will explain. That said I use one on my Fireboat and it works fine.
Dave

Live long and prosper

Dave
canabus
(Admiral)

Forum Posts: 71
1st Mar 2017 05:45  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/26386

Hi
I use the Turnigy 45/60/100Amp car ESC's with the programming card. If you decrease the brake force, drag brake and initial brake to the minimum these ESC's work well.
Decrease the reverse to 25%. Start to about 10%.

colindavies
(Chief Petty Officer)

1st Mar 2017 11:23  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/26397

Thanks for the info I've gone for 2x30A watercooled esc from hobbyking, the main reason was that they were £13:00 each and seemed less complicated set up than the car ones, I may be wrong, but they will be in a fairly limited space with poor ventilation. If they don't work I'll try the car ones.

Dave M
(Fleet Admiral!)

1st Mar 2017 11:27  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/26398

Should be fine
Dave

Live long and prosper

Dave
colindavies
(Chief Petty Officer)

2nd Mar 2017 20:49  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/26436

I hope so Dave.

I ordered the motors and esc's from Hobbyking Tuesday PM and the arrived this morning 36 hours from order to receipt, very good.

Now as this my first dabblings with brushless motors and esc's I have a few problems, which I hope somebody may be able to help me with, I bought a hobbyking esc programming card, there are no instructions with it although it seems a quite straightforward operation to set the required values.
Part of this is working out what each item is
1) Running mode. Ok choice of three, forward/brake: forward/ brake/reverse: Forward reverse. (easy enough)
2) Fixed area accelerator: 6%:9%:or 12% (??🤓)
3)Battery Low Voltage Protection. 6 settings from non protection to 3.4v (probably set at no protection as using NiMh)
4)Start Mode (punch): 9 levels, which one?
5)Reverse Force: 4 levels 25-100% (ok self explanatory)
6)Timing Set: 5/10/15/20/25/30/automatic ( which one )

Bearing in mind what the model is (not a competition racer);what I require of it is forward/reverse; port and starboard. I do not require it to take off like a scalded cat with just the props and rudders in the water. Acceleration from stop to max in about 4-5 seconds.
I had about a 50 year gap in model boat making until about five years ago the last one i made was when I was 15, although in the years in between I did get to play with the real things when I was in the RAF. So if you do have any advice remember you are telling a person on the wrong side of 69😋, and thanks in advance

Dave M
(Fleet Admiral!)

3rd Mar 2017 11:40  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/26467

Hi Colin
The ESC allows you to set parameters that help you choose the best settings. The program card is mush easier than listening to a series of beeps.
1 As you say easy Forward reverse
2 Not sure so I would leave at the default value or select the 9%
3 Battery low - leave as none with NiMhs
4 Start Mode - I suspect you need the lowest value - soft start
5 Reverse force - use the 25%
6 Timing I would choose auto. Probably to do with fast racing.

It will need a bit of suck it and see and you may need to change some of the settings after the first sail. If you do make sure you only make one adjustment at a time. This is important for those of us on the wrong side of 69.

The ESC's may have a sheet of useful info and if they suggest settings for 2,4 & 6 I would try them first.
Good luck
Dave

Live long and prosper

Dave
colindavies
(Chief Petty Officer)

3rd Mar 2017 12:14  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/26471

Thanks Dave I'll be guided by your advice, all this is preparation I have the old 555 motors out and am still trying to work out how to fit the new D2836s and a different type of mounting.

Dave M
(Fleet Admiral!)

3rd Mar 2017 12:23  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/26472

Hi Colin
There should be a ali plate with each motor and screws (countersunk). Attach the plate to the motor then fashion an angled metal plate with a hole to fit the ali plate, drill holes to attach with bolts (threadlocked) and mount to the hull.
I have attached some pics of my crash tender and the sea queen. The latter uses a water cooled ali plate supported by two side brackets.
Dave

Attached Files - Click To View Large

Live long and prosper

Dave
pmdevlin
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 329
3rd Mar 2017 19:58  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/26496

personally, I prefer the transmitter bleeps to programme, I'm probably the only person in the world that will say this!

I have used these esc's a number of times, amp rating is over egged, as with all turnigy stuff, but I doubt that will worry you. Its just my opinion, but I would have normal/mid start, soft start is very soft and slow, but with the card it should be easy enough to test at the lake, and change to suit. Now you have brushless motors, its like using old 4 stroke fuel with a v12 Ferrari, time to go lipo!!😁 yippee!👍