Cookies used in this website are gluten free, wheat free and dairy free. By using this website you agree to our use of cookies. More Info
Login Below
Join Us On Social Media!

Get The Model Boats App!
Apple App Store
Android app on Google Play

Help Support This Website
£
or enter custom amount

(Non Contributor)

Help support this free
website and donate.

£285 a year is needed to keep the website and apps online. Please consider donating £5 or more to help towards these fees.
All donations are securely managed through PayPal. Amounts donated are not published online.

Many thanks for your kind support.

Model Boats Website Team

Donation History
December 2017: 5 people
November 2017: 13 people
October 2017: 9 people
September 2017: 15 people
August 2017: 10 people
July 2017: 16 people
June 2017: 8 people
May 2017: 8 people
April 2017: 16 people

Unique Visitors This Month

Website Members

Terms and Conditions
Privacy Policy
Advertising
Contact

Model Boats Website
Active Users (17)
Login or Register
To Remove This Ad

Login or Register
To Remove This Ad
>> Home > Forum > Boat Specific Chit Chat! > Crash Tender planking
Crash Tender planking
(321 views)
Westquay
(Captain)

Forum Posts: 180
30th Apr 2017 19:38  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/27920

Hi all, I have been reading and enjoying Robbob's (is it?) blog on his large crash tender. He has planked the cockpit beautifully, but may I ask if anyone knows whether it should be planked or was it painted on the real boats. I can't see anything on the blurred pictures on this site.

Cheers,
Martin

robbob
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 57
30th Apr 2017 23:11  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/27927

Hi Martin.
I'm pleased that my blog is interesting and helpful, but I don't want to mislead you on some of the details I have included on my model.
I don't have any real hard evidence that there was any type of fancy decking on either of the fireboats, indeed I do believe that it's more than likely that the deck areas that I have finished with planking were probably just painted the same as the main deck and upperworks. These were working boats that would get harsh use and treatment so any type of adornment would be a waste of time and money.
I do have a drawing of the tow hook deck that certainly shows an underlying planked construction of the rear decks but no finishing details.
The only 'photo of the rear well that I have doesn't seem to show any visible planking so I suspect it was all just painted.

My decision to plank these decks is pure 'modelling licence' as used by many other modellers of these boats and I think it adds interesting detail to what would otherwise be a very utilitarian vessel.
Without access to the full original Vosper construction drawings and possibly other photographic evidence the decking question is open to speculation.
Rob (Robbob)

Attached Files - Click To View Large

"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana"
Westquay
(Captain)

Forum Posts: 180
30th Apr 2017 23:51  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/27929

Thanks Rob. I was kind of assuming that was the case and I don't blame you in the least. I loved planking a model yacht I made for the guy who part owns Cosworth. It was a Luna 50 and thank heavens the guy who had started the model had glued black ebonising veneer to pieces of a very light coloured mahogany, so all I had to do was cut correct sized planks on the circular saw and I had built in caulking lines! But yachts ain't service vessels, so I figures planking might be fanciful, but don't it look good?!
I see from that drawing (and where DO you get these things) that the after deck is double layered and the cockpit floor appears to be planked athwartships, but we can only assume the illustrator has it right, but having been a technical illustrator in the days of pens and skill it was often tempting to "soup up" a drawing.
But thanks for both those views. I have shamelessly stolen them!

Cheers,
Martin