Cookies used in this website are gluten free, wheat free and dairy free. By using this website you agree to our use of cookies. More Info
Login Below
Join Us On Social Media!

Get The Model Boats App!
Apple App Store
Android app on Google Play

Help Support This Website
£
or enter custom amount

(Non Contributor)

Help support this free
website and donate.

£285 a year is needed to keep the website and apps online. Please consider donating £5 or more to help towards these fees.
All donations are securely managed through PayPal. Amounts donated are not published online.

Many thanks for your kind support.

Model Boats Website Team

Donation History
August 2017: 9 people
July 2017: 16 people
June 2017: 8 people
May 2017: 8 people
April 2017: 23 people
March 2017: 9 people
February 2017: 12 people
January 2017: 15 people

Unique Visitors This Month

Website Members

Terms and Conditions
Privacy Policy
Advertising
Contact

Model Boats Website
Active Users (5)
Login or Register
To Remove This Ad

Login or Register
To Remove This Ad
>> Home > Forum > Boat Specific Chit Chat! > "Vanity" leaves the building board
"Vanity" leaves the building board
(737 views)
Westquay
(Captain)

Forum Posts: 180
3rd May 2017 17:32  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/28057

Hi all, I have this afternoon released my model of the Victorian Class C Cutter, "Vanity", from her building board. First surprise was how light it is! I really can't believe how light. Being a plank-on-edge craft she is very deep draughted and with such a light weight she should be able to carry her ballast internally which is much the preferable way for me. Now the really hard stuff begins. Preparing the inside of the hull to take the strains of the various bits of standing rigging, somewhere to fix my patent dual sail winch and get the deck all levelled and cambered correctly. She had a very complex deck, with teak covering boards joggled round the bulwarks, which were simply extensions of her doubled oak frames, then narrow boards (on the model 3/16th") deck panks which follow the covering boards as all good yachts should, but unusually, Vanity did not have a King plank and so there is no joggling of the inner ends of the planks, but they must, of course, all meet perfectly. The deck furniture was also rather splendid as she had a roundhouse aft, glazed and several companionways and deck lights, plus the usual Samson post and bitts. Her tiller was a huge lump of mahogany about 6 feet long. The level of woodwork throughout was like this:-https://model-boats.com/media/np/s/200/1493829043
That's how she looked when I lived aboard her in Burnham-on-Crouch

She was like this when sailing
https://model-boats.com/media/np/s/200/1493829032

Cheers,
Martin

Attached Files - Click To View Large

Westquay
(Captain)

3rd May 2017 17:45  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/28059

Here she is fresh off the board. The plank being clamped has not set for some reason so will be removed. Much easier to clamp now the boat's this way up.
https://model-boats.com/media/np/s/200/1493829941

https://model-boats.com/media/np/s/200/1493829958

Martin

Westquay
(Captain)

3rd May 2017 21:24  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/28065

Just made my first dovetail corner joint on one of the decklights. Seemed to work out OK once I'd I'd got the shape of both parts in my head. Used the vice jaws as a guide and a piercing saw to cut the joints. My Aliphatic glue had dried up, so I had to use PVA, so no pics till tomorrow in the daylight, In 1/16th scale the decklight over the main saloon (see above picture) is 4ft. x 2ft-6in....3"x 1.875". Nowhere near big enough to fiddle in my sail winch system so I think she may have to be a rudder only job. No sweat really. I had hours of good sailing with an old plastic 375, rudder only. Unless I can work out an invisible method of lifting a section of decking. AND keeping it waterproof!

Martin

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 624
3rd May 2017 22:09  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/28068

Wonderful wonderful wonderful 👍
Do you have a razor saw for for cutting an access hatch perhaps?
I have an idea for 'hiding' the hatch and keeping it waterproof, have the same problem with access to the rudder on my Graf Spee.
More tomorrow.
Servus(!) Doug 😎

"Retirement is when you stop living at work -
and start working at living/boat modeling!" 舰队的海军上将 😉 Doug
Westquay
(Captain)

4th May 2017 08:08  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/28074

Thanks, Doug. Do you know I don't possess a razor saw? I have always found them to be quite useless. Well that was years ago, I have been a professional modelmaker ever since, until I retired. I either use a junior hacksaw, a piercing saw or 2 or a disc in a minidrill. I rarely sand stuff, I always file or scrape. Doing it for a living tends to show up where the best ways or tools are, but it's entirely up to the individual, of course.
I am interested in your invisible removable deck section idea though.

Cheers,
Martin

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

4th May 2017 11:55  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/28086

I find the latest ones very good, < 0.5mm, stainless steel in various blade shapes and tooth pitch. Admittedly I bought them primarily for modifying kits for 'plastic magic', including cutting access hatches! Haven't translated my idea into reality yet, will see about some drawings tonight. Don't know about 100% invisible but we'll see. Now I have to sort out my roses, rotten weather here, too much rain and freezing at night 🤔

Westquay
(Captain)

4th May 2017 12:27  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/28092

Hmm, I know you can get some photo-etched ones these days, which the plastic kit bashers use. I suppose it might be useful for getting into a tight spot.

Gardening . Just discovered it and it's killing me back!

Martin

Westquay
(Captain)

5th May 2017 16:17  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/28156

Indoors, I can carry on with Vanity by making her deck furniture and boom.
Here's the start of the aft decklight. Note proper dovetail joint and mortice and tenon joints in the glazed lid. So satisfying when a piece holds itself together even before you glue it!
https://model-boats.com/media/np/s/200/1493997414
https://model-boats.com/media/np/s/200/1493997425

Cheers,
Martin

Westquay
(Captain)

12th May 2017 14:40  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/28719

Here's the first of the opening lights done on that casing. I'd been waiting for the right size brass wire to arrive.
https://model-boats.com/media/np/s/200/1494596411
https://model-boats.com/media/np/s/200/1494596441

Cheers,
Martin

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

12th May 2017 14:43  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/28721

Very nice indeed 👍 how big are they ? 😎

Westquay
(Captain)

12th May 2017 14:56  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/28723

This one is (for you furriners) 80mm long by 50 wide. This is the tiddler between the roundhouse/tiller area and the companion aft. Then there's a bigger one forward of the companion and then a forward companion forward of the mast.
Mast bitts, Samson posts for the bowsprit and prism bricks in the deck. Fortunately Vanity's deck was laid a la workboat, all planks parallel unlike most yachts. I shall pay for that simplicity when I deck Bloodhound. That has swept decks with mitred toeboards round every item of deck furniture, joggled into a King plank fore and aft and the main companion is shell topped, requiring steamed, tapered planks all the way across, but I tend to like the fiddly bits.
The finish on that is cellulose sanding sealer. When the other light is done I'll varnish it all very thinly.

Cheers,
Martin

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

12th May 2017 15:08  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/28724

Neat!
Everyone is a furriner everywhere else 😉
Happy fiddling, I'm about to fiddle with new brushes for the Target, wish me luck 😎

Westquay
(Captain)

12th May 2017 15:11  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/28725

Ah, good luck indeed! Show pics of new brushwork, pliz?

Martin

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

12th May 2017 16:29  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/28728

First 3 pics are in the Build Blog. More soon 😎

Westquay
(Captain)

13th May 2017 11:43  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/28787

Ah, my replacement copies of Plank-on-Frame Models have arrived. Indistinguishable from the copies I lent and never got back. I simply cannot be without these books. I've had them since I was wee loddy in Devon, when my love of quality model boats began. I was a member of the Thames Ship Lovers and Ship Model Society and got my first ever proper commission through them. Where are they now? They were one of the main London based clubs at one point, meeting in a Pub in the West End on a Tuesday night. I believe the magazine Model Shipwright came about through those meetings. Now, even that magnificent organ has gone. What is it about model boaters? No TSLSMS, no Scale Sail, no Model Shipwright. And no doubt Maritime Models has gone in Greenwich and Model Shipwrights in Putney.
For a maritime nation all this is a disgrace.

Martin

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

13th May 2017 11:52  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/28789

It's not all that bad, all is not lost -
http://www.themodelshipwright.com/
They also have a Hi Res plans page! check 'em out!

Maritime Models is also alive and kicking! 😉
http://www.maritime-models.co.uk/
Both with period wooden models and plans, right up your slipway! 😎

Westquay
(Captain)

13th May 2017 12:15  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/28790

Hmmm, well, Model Shipwright is some kind of car crash blog format that is virtually unreadable and maritime Models is an online only outfit.
Both, therefore, gone as were. Model Shipwright had gone digital I believe a while back but I can't find it any more. I did download a few copies, but they were on my old PC and got lost.

Thanks, anyway, Doug, but Model Shipwright never used to sink to the level of building a Midwest kit fer Krissakes!

Martin