Cookies used in this website are gluten free, wheat free and dairy free. By using this website you agree to our use of cookies. More Info
Login Below
Join Us On Social Media!

Get The Model Boats App!
Apple App Store
Android app on Google Play

Help Support This Website
£
or enter custom amount

(Non Contributor)

Help support this free
website and donate.

£285 a year is needed to keep the website and apps online. Please consider donating £5 or more to help towards these fees.
All donations are securely managed through PayPal. Amounts donated are not published online.

Many thanks for your kind support.

Model Boats Website Team

Donation History
September 2017: 10 people
August 2017: 10 people
July 2017: 16 people
June 2017: 8 people
May 2017: 8 people
April 2017: 23 people
March 2017: 9 people
February 2017: 12 people
January 2017: 4 people

Unique Visitors This Month

Website Members

Terms and Conditions
Privacy Policy
Advertising
Contact

Model Boats Website
Active Users (17)
Login or Register
To Remove This Ad

Login or Register
To Remove This Ad
>> Home > Forum > Boat Specific Chit Chat! > Scale Sailing Association
Scale Sailing Association
(547 views)
Westquay
(Captain)

Forum Posts: 180
10th May 2017 12:17  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/28529

The above was a big thing once. over 600 members! A nice magazine, a stand at the ME Exhibition. Then the guy who started it died and it seems the organisation with him. How can that be. 600 members? that's a lot to go quiet because one bloke dies ain't it?
So, is anyone interested in resurrecting the Association? Scale sail is a pretty particular kind of boating, but by far the most satisfying. And that's from a very partial, biased person!
If you would be interested in restarting the Scale Sailing Association, please let me know on here or the Model Boats Mag. forum and we'll see what can be done. Of course, if all 600 are now dead too, we're Foobarred!

Cheers,
Martin

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 814
10th May 2017 12:44  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/28532

There's also something very satisfying with a destroyer steaming by, smoke pouring from her funnels, making 'whoop-whoop-whoop, flashing light signals and training her guns on the audience. But then I'm not impartial either 😉😎

"Retirement is when you stop living at work -
and start working at living/boat modeling!" 舰队的海军上将 😉 Doug
Westquay
(Captain)

10th May 2017 12:53  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/28533

That's a real one. The littluns don't do it, but a decent size sailing boat looks magnificent, whatever it is.
I was once tempted by that offer of a 9foot Hood, but it would have filled my bedsit!

Martin

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

10th May 2017 13:14  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/28535

Don't you believe it! Those are all functions I had in Hotspur. She's in dry dock now with all electronics stripped out for hull painting and modernisation - but after the Sea Scout ..... 😉
Some littluns do a lot more, there are whole clubs that re-enact famous sea battles, complete with pyrotechnics and sinking ships, the whole ball of wax 😉 The yanks have special clubs for ships with compressed air guns firing 1/4 inch ball bearings!!! 'Nothing's impossible' that's why I drive Toyota 😎

Westquay
(Captain)

10th May 2017 15:41  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/28542

I am reminded of the response by my boss when the client asked for his modelled map of Cardiff to light up the bus routes...."I make models, sir, not bloody table lamps". He utterly refused to make anything noisy or lit up. The noise makers I've heard are rubbish, the smoke generators whispy little things and lights, well who runs at night. As for re-enacters of any type, at any time....saddos in extremis. To re-enact the horrors of war is, I believe, a bloody insult to those poor sods who were actually there. My Dad said he had, on the whole, a "good" War, but he didn't want models of rocket firing Hurricanes hanging around when he came home. "I hope you never have to watch a man die in his seat after he limped a kite back home safely", was one thing he did say. Maybe that stayed with me, but I have never yet made a military model by choice, nor would I. I once made a small tank, the Alvis reconnaissance type, but I hated every minute I was at the army camp measuring it. Oddly it was one of my best models. If the guy wanted it to go, "Bang!", I'd have shoved it up his fat ex-artillery officer's derriere!

BTW, your 3/32" drills just made the express hot air balloon from the village green, which will connect with the Stadt donkey in a few days time.

I have all sorts of goodies arriving, I hope. Plank-on-Frame-Models, Vols 1&2, because my originals have gone missing thanks to moving house too often, brass wires, because the miserable old bag in the local toyshop where they carry odd ends of K&S Metal Centre annoyed me so I bought from the internet for a fraction of the price and a mini-drill stand so I might make a small 'ole go where I want it to. Oh and today, finally, that Eberhard Weber CD came from Germany, but was delivered in a Royal Mail envelope! Trouble is we're near the end of the postie's round so we're lucky to see owt till 12-30ish.

And having left my lower back somewhere in the front garden I am off outside to glue the last planks in my model of "Vanity".

Cheers,
Martin

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

10th May 2017 16:08  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/28544

We're all entitled to our opinion! I simply wanted to point out that there are other possibilities and many facets to our fascinating hobby, 'one man's bread ..... '. Most re-enactors see it as a challenge to their creativity and a tribute to those who took part. In many cases survivors and/or their relatives take part or act as advisers.
And yes many of us do sail at night! There's guy here who sails a 6 foot Titanic, looks great at night with all cabins and 'dressing' lit up. Trouble is constantly plays that 'orrible Blasmusik - Oom Pah Pah ...😡

The customer is always right - even when he's wrong! Instead of insulting him (or often her recently in the yards👍) and turning him away, instead I would reply something like 'Yeees, we could do that, but have you considered ....'.

Many thanks for the drills 😊 the yellow bike usually turns up here sometime in the forenoon 👍
Sun's finally out again here so I'm off out to finish tidying up the roses.
Happy planking 😎

Westquay
(Captain)

10th May 2017 17:16  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/28546

Now I'll tell you what's really satisfying....planing the edge of a plank till it just slides right along where it should and locks up in exactly the right place with a resounding thunk. Just had that with tomorrow's plank.
I wish the damned glue would set quicker, then it would be later today's plank, but there's always something else to do.

I also tried steaming a plank to get some twist in it at one end. I judged the curve to be more or less coffee tin, fired up the kettle and held the end of the plank in the spout. Even though it's one of those turny offy types, leaving the plank end in the still steaming spout until too hot to hold (gardening gloves useful) did the trick. The 1/8th" thick, inch wide Cuban Mahogany went like chewing gum and took on the curvature of the coffee tin till cold, at which point it was glued straight in. Shed locked so I can't fiddle with it (I am a terrible poker of things not yet ready to be poked).
The great epoxy event beckons ever closer.

Martin

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

10th May 2017 17:36  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/28547

Happy thunking! 😎

Westquay
(Captain)

10th May 2017 17:42  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/28549

Only one thunker left to do and then it's a case of getting the very back end sorted. The lines I used from an American book on yachting history seemed fine, but were awry at the last couple of sections, although somehow these didn't show, so fortunately one bulkhead was knocked out and planks have been adjusted ending in just eyework to get the shapely hull back to a suitable elegant and very slim stern. We'll get there. Drilling down to do the rudder stock will be a major job as it's the entire depth of the rear end of the boat! But nothing brass tube, epoxy and Milliput can't repair, build up, be worked into shape!

Cheers,
Martin

Jerry Todd
(Commander)

Forum Posts: 6
3rd Jul 2017 05:21  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/30858

Look for the Scale Sail RC group on Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/groups/298625952172/

It won't rebuild 600 members that gave up because one cat-herder died, but it's something.

Jerry
White Rocks Model Boat Club
sunworksco
(Chief Petty Officer)

Forum Posts: 16
3rd Jul 2017 16:57  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/30875

Hello!
What a beautiful sail boat! I see many hours in your endeavor.
I'm planning to build a 1/16th scale circa 1933 America's Cup Whirlwind sailboat, using a fiberglass molded hull. I'm trying to find some old wooden window blinds, to saw cut into narrow strips for the decks. I'm going to build the cabins out of brass sheet. Have you ever used wooden window blinds for boat builds?
Thank you?

Regards,
Giovanni
Jerry Todd
(Commander)

Forum Posts: 6
4th Jul 2017 04:21  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/30907

Sort-of, but I don't want to clutter this thread with off-topic stuff

Jerry
White Rocks Model Boat Club
RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

4th Jul 2017 07:59  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/30909

Hi Jerry, don't worry about the thread, the guy that started it (Westquay) left this forum weeks ago. 🤔
Cheers Doug 😎

none
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 185
4th Jul 2017 09:23  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/30913

Just start a new thread simples