Cookies used in this website are gluten free, wheat free and dairy free. By using this website you agree to our use of cookies. More Info
Guest
Login Below
Join Us On Social Media!
   
Get The Model Boats App!
Apple App Store
Android app on Google Play


Help Support This Website
£
or enter custom amount

(Non Contributor)

Help support this free
website and donate.



£285 a year is needed to keep the website and apps online. Please consider donating £5 or more to help towards these fees.
All donations are securely managed through PayPal. Amounts donated are not published online.

Many thanks for your kind support.

Model Boats Website Team


Donation History
November 2017: 12 people
October 2017: 9 people
September 2017: 15 people
August 2017: 10 people
July 2017: 16 people
June 2017: 8 people
May 2017: 8 people
April 2017: 22 people


Unique Visitors This Month

Website Members

Terms and Conditions
Privacy Policy
Advertising
Contact


Model Boats Website
Active Users (9)
Login or Register
To Remove This Ad

Login or Register
To Remove This Ad
>> Home > Forum > Boat Specific Chit Chat! > RSS Sovereignty P 72
RSS Sovereignty P 72
(1743 views)
Author Message
cormorant
(Admiral)





Forum Posts: 165
11th May 2017 00:06  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/28610

My latest project is a 1/24th part built model of an Independence class fast patrol boat of the Singapore Navy, RSS Sovereignty.
The boat was built by Vosper.
The model is 52" long ( the real boat 110' = 1/24 scale?) with a wooden hull.
The problem I have is lack of plans/drawings and detailed photographs.
A build blog would be fantastic.
Can anyone help please?
Steve


Attached Files - Click To View Large

John
(Fleet Admiral!)





Forum Posts: 104
11th May 2017 00:14  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/28611

Hi Steve, I can help you with the scale 😁
110 feet = 1,320 inches
1,320 inches divided by 52 inches = 25.38
So 1/25th.

John.


Happy sailing.

John.
cormorant
(Admiral)





Forum Posts: 165
11th May 2017 00:30  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/28612

Thanks John. I wasn't too far out then. Maths was never my strong subject.

figtree7nts
(Fleet Admiral!)





Forum Posts: 331
11th May 2017 02:07  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/28616

Hi Steve,

I see you have a new project can't wait to see how she turns out!

Ed.


"Fair winds calm Seas"
John
(Fleet Admiral!)





Forum Posts: 104
11th May 2017 20:16  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/28663

Hi Steve, 1/24th was near enough. If you wanted to be exact a 55 inch model would be 1/24th. Have you had any luck with finding plans/drawings?

John.


Happy sailing.

John.
cormorant
(Admiral)





Forum Posts: 165
11th May 2017 21:06  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/28668

Not yet. The closest so far is the attached picture and the link https://www.revolvy.com/main/index.php?s=Independence-class%...
The boat in the picture, although headed Sovereignty, is showing pennant number 71, which is RSS Justice.


Attached Files - Click To View Large

John
(Fleet Admiral!)





Forum Posts: 104
11th May 2017 21:55  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/28678

Have you tried the library?

John.


Happy sailing.

John.
cormorant
(Admiral)





Forum Posts: 165
11th May 2017 23:10  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/28685

Never gave it a thought. A good plan!

John
(Fleet Admiral!)





Forum Posts: 104
11th May 2017 23:18  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/28686

Your welcome, the librarian should be able to show you how to access available books and request them for you if they are not on the shelf.

John.


Happy sailing.

John.
rolfman2000
(Admiral)





Forum Posts: 102
12th May 2017 02:38  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/28691

I spent 2 hours of solid surfing and found one other picture (which was of lousy quality and therefore no use). I hate to be beaten by things like this. One limiting factor is that the Independence class ships are all being replaced with new Literal variety of ships. RSS Independence has already been replaced by a new RSS Independence Literal class of ship. Sorry I couldn't be of more help. I have sent a mail to a friend of mine who lives in Singapore and is a Royal Fleet Auxiliary officer, to ask if he can find any info. I'll let you know when I hear from him. Again, apologies, Dave W

cormorant
(Admiral)





Forum Posts: 165
12th May 2017 08:26  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/28696

Thank you Dave. Just realised who you are! Looking forward to meeting at the pond when I get back from Norfolk.
Steve

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)





Forum Posts: 1089
12th May 2017 10:20  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/28703

Hi Folks, think there is a bit of a mix up here! What Cpt. Cormorant seems to be building is the Coastal Patrol Craft introduced in 1970, and subsequently transferred to the Police Coast Guard, where they have long since been replaced. The boat in Cormorants pic was commissioned in 1971. See pic from RSN official site - History.
https://www.mindef.gov.sg/navy/Tracing_Our_Origins.HTM
They were a Vosper design, based on the 110footer, first boats built in UK the rest in Singapore.

John: the class you are talking about is actually the 'Fearless' Class.
RSS Independence being pennant number 87. They were built by ST Marine (Singapore Technologies) and commissioned from 96 (Fearless) to 98 (Independence). Pic 2 is of one of them, RSS Resilience.
This class is now being replaced by 8 ships ( Independence-class littoral mission vessels) being built by ST Engineering. Our company helped ST with the Integrated Comms System design for both these classes!
RSS Independence pennant number 15 (replacing #87 as you say John) is the only one currently in service. This info may not unfortunately get Cormorant much further but maybe it'll help prevent chasing wild geese! Cheers 😎


Attached Files - Click To View Large


"The brain is not intended to store facts. It is for thinking, and for knowing where to find the facts !" Albert Einstein. 😉 cheers Doug
RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)





Forum Posts: 1089
12th May 2017 10:22  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/28704

Sorry - Dave not John! 🤔


"The brain is not intended to store facts. It is for thinking, and for knowing where to find the facts !" Albert Einstein. 😉 cheers Doug
cormorant
(Admiral)





Forum Posts: 165
12th May 2017 12:46  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/28711

Hi Doug and Dave
I have just looked at http://wikivisually.com/wiki/User:Derekbridges/sandbox/Singa...
and understand now where the confusion may have arisen.
Unfortunately, the links to my boat come up with 'page does not exist'.
Steve

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)





Forum Posts: 1089
12th May 2017 12:59  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/28713

See if you can find a Vosper archive site.
You may have to look under BAE Sea Systems these days!
😎


"The brain is not intended to store facts. It is for thinking, and for knowing where to find the facts !" Albert Einstein. 😉 cheers Doug
RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)





Forum Posts: 1089
12th May 2017 13:33  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/28715

hi, Some stuff from the Singapore Govt. Archive site
http://www.nas.gov.sg/archivesonline/photographs/
Search for Singapore Navy.
A tedious business, links take ages to load 🤔
These are of the launching of RSS Freedom, the first boat built in Singapore. Happy hunting, give the links time, open a good bottle before you start! 😎


Attached Files - Click To View Large


"The brain is not intended to store facts. It is for thinking, and for knowing where to find the facts !" Albert Einstein. 😉 cheers Doug
RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)





Forum Posts: 1089
12th May 2017 13:53  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/28716

Two more, now I must continue with my Taycol renovation. Good luck, Doug 😎


Attached Files - Click To View Large


"The brain is not intended to store facts. It is for thinking, and for knowing where to find the facts !" Albert Einstein. 😉 cheers Doug
cormorant
(Admiral)





Forum Posts: 165
15th May 2017 08:56  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/28890

Gentlemen, thank you for all you help. As you said Doug, a tedious business, but I have collected a few more photos to assist in the build.
In the meantime, I am considering whether or not to put two more shafts in and have two/three motors instead of the existing one.
My initial thoughts were to replace the existing motor with a single brushless as I didn't want to cut any holes in the hull.
I'm not looking for really high speed, just scale, or perhaps slightly above.
In which case, is there any benefit from having two motors instead of one?


Attached Files - Click To View Large

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)





Forum Posts: 1089
15th May 2017 09:21  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/28893

Yep, I think the Govt. servers must be using second hand electrons 😉 😎


"The brain is not intended to store facts. It is for thinking, and for knowing where to find the facts !" Albert Einstein. 😉 cheers Doug
RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)





Forum Posts: 1089
15th May 2017 09:26  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/28894

Hi, main reason for using two shafts instead of one is to cancel the torque effect of a single prop. If the original had two props - go for it! 😉
With a bit of jiggery pokery you can also improve the manoeuvrability by using independent motor control, just like 'in real', or mixed with the rudder throw. Cheers 😎


"The brain is not intended to store facts. It is for thinking, and for knowing where to find the facts !" Albert Einstein. 😉 cheers Doug
cormorant
(Admiral)





Forum Posts: 165
15th May 2017 09:58  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/28896

Ok, thanks. Yes, the original did have two shafts and I have succesfully used my Dx6i radio mixer on other models.
I guess I'm just nervous about messing up a beautifully built hull by drilling holes in it.
Steve

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)





Forum Posts: 1089
15th May 2017 10:10  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/28897

Hi Steve, Then Go For It👍 Although I can fully understand the nervousness!
I bought a DX6 set last year and plan to use the mixer function on my destroyer. Any tips on setting this up would be most welcome. Cheers from Munich 😎


"The brain is not intended to store facts. It is for thinking, and for knowing where to find the facts !" Albert Einstein. 😉 cheers Doug
cormorant
(Admiral)





Forum Posts: 165
15th May 2017 11:41  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/28903

Luckily our club chairman has offered to help/advise and even do the job for me!
I would be more than happy to help set up you DX6 if you can wait until next week when I am back from holiday. I need the Tx in front of me to refresh my memory and I can then let you know the settings.
I would be interested to see some pics of your destroyer.
Steve

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)





Forum Posts: 1089
15th May 2017 12:03  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/28905

Hi Steve, many thanks 👍 No panic, it'll be a while until I get around to refitting the destroyer. She was stripped out a few years ago for hull painting. At the moment I'm busy with the Taycol motor and Sea Scout. HMS Hotspur will be next in the dry-dock😉
Attached a few pics of her (and U26) about 10 years ago, pretty basic but fun to drive. Both 1:72. Cheers Doug 😎


Attached Files - Click To View Large


"The brain is not intended to store facts. It is for thinking, and for knowing where to find the facts !" Albert Einstein. 😉 cheers Doug
Dave M
(Fleet Admiral!)





Forum Posts: 1403
15th May 2017 13:24  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/28906

Nice clean line Doug. I do hope you lower the Jack when under way!
Dave


Live long and prosper

Dave
RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)





Forum Posts: 1089
15th May 2017 13:31  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/28907

Natch! I know the protocol!
Only exception is Royal Reviews etc. 😎


"The brain is not intended to store facts. It is for thinking, and for knowing where to find the facts !" Albert Einstein. 😉 cheers Doug
Dave M
(Fleet Admiral!)





Forum Posts: 1403
15th May 2017 15:46  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/28910

Just joking Doug
Dave


Live long and prosper

Dave
RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)





Forum Posts: 1089
15th May 2017 16:12  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/28914

Didn't think anything else 👍😎


"The brain is not intended to store facts. It is for thinking, and for knowing where to find the facts !" Albert Einstein. 😉 cheers Doug
cormorant
(Admiral)





Forum Posts: 165
15th May 2017 18:40  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/28921

Doug and Dave. I'm actually on holiday in the village of Happisburgh on the Norfolk coast, just down the road from the parish church. I spotted the memorial stone (picture attached), in the cemetery. A bit of history for you navy buffs.
Steve


Attached Files - Click To View Large

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)





Forum Posts: 1089
15th May 2017 21:02  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/28933

Hi, Happy hols. Interesting, 1998! That's why I don't remember it. I lived in north Norfolk til 1971. cheers Doug 😎


"The brain is not intended to store facts. It is for thinking, and for knowing where to find the facts !" Albert Einstein. 😉 cheers Doug
cormorant
(Admiral)





Forum Posts: 165
17th May 2017 23:48  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/29020

Best picture yet from the website of the Singapore Navy museum.
I have (cheekily) emailed them to see if I can get any more ino.


Attached Files - Click To View Large

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)





Forum Posts: 1089
18th May 2017 07:59  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/29026

Neat👍
Why not mail 'em! If you don't ask you don't get😉
Will watch progress with interest.
Cheers Doug 😎


"The brain is not intended to store facts. It is for thinking, and for knowing where to find the facts !" Albert Einstein. 😉 cheers Doug
cormorant
(Admiral)





Forum Posts: 165
25th May 2017 17:32  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/29393

Hello Doug
At last I have got around to sending you my Dx6 set up, which allows to control motors and rudders on the same stick. I am currently only using it on my Aeronaut Pilot Boat but it will turn in its own length.
I must admit it was very much trial and error, but once I activated the V-TAIL in the WINGTAILMIX menu things started to happen.
I thought the best way would be to send you pictures of the various menu settings which apply and you will then be able to tweak to your requirements.
See how you get on but please come back if you need anything further.
Best of luck
Steve


Attached Files - Click To View Large

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)





Forum Posts: 1089
25th May 2017 17:45  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/29394

Hi Steve, terrific!👍 Many many thanks 😊
Will be a while 'til I can try it out, just packing for a trip to Italy😎
But I've saved everything to the haunted fishtank Mk 2 for future reference.
Cheers Doug 😎


"The brain is not intended to store facts. It is for thinking, and for knowing where to find the facts !" Albert Einstein. 😉 cheers Doug