Cookies used in this website are gluten free, wheat free and dairy free. By using this website you agree to our use of cookies. More Info
Login Below
Join Us On Social Media!

Get The Model Boats App!
Apple App Store
Android app on Google Play

Help Support This Website
£
or enter custom amount

(Non Contributor)

Help support this free
website and donate.

£285 a year is needed to keep the website and apps online. Please consider donating £5 or more to help towards these fees.
All donations are securely managed through PayPal. Amounts donated are not published online.

Many thanks for your kind support.

Model Boats Website Team

Donation History
June 2017: 6 people
May 2017: 8 people
April 2017: 23 people
March 2017: 9 people
February 2017: 12 people
January 2017: 37 people
December 2016: 2 people
November 2016: 2 people
October 2016: 1 person

Unique Visitors This Month

Website Members

Terms and Conditions
Privacy Policy
Advertising
Contact

Model Boats Website
Active Users (22)
Login or Register
To Remove This Ad

Login or Register
To Remove This Ad
>> Home > Forum > Boat Specific Chit Chat! > Lindow common.
Lindow common.
(361 views)
philpjuk
(Chief Petty Officer)

Forum Posts: 7
12th Jun 2017 09:43  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/30091

Anyone used to sail at lindow common (wilmslow) in the 50s/60s ?,Now fenced off by the council but used to give much pleasure to boaters on sundays.Big scale liners,big sailboats with their owners wearing captains caps and carrying turning poles.early radio with transmitter on the ground,the circle at the end with tethered hydros (separated from the main pool by a floating barrage made from a washing line with "party four" cans attached to it).The ice cream van and picnics,hundreds of boaters and watchers.All gone now (a sssi!)

Attached Files - Click To View Large

rolfman2000
(Lieutenant)

Forum Posts: 34
12th Jun 2017 09:56  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/30092

As a child, I used to live in Wilmslow, so Lindow common was where I first got the bug for model boats back in the early 60's. In fact I have just got hold of the boat I wanted then, a 46" Fireboat to restore. The last time I went there, the common was badly overgrown and the boating lake seemed full of rubbish, and I almost cried😭 Not been there for about 13 years now, so I would have hoped that with all the money in the town it's been tidied up again. We certainly couldn't afford to live there now. Best wishes, Dave W 😊

figtree7nts
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 317
12th Jun 2017 10:59  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/30094

What a real Shame!

"Fair winds calm Seas"
philpjuk
(Chief Petty Officer)

13th Jun 2017 07:52  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/30117

I boat I used to sail at lindow,2.49cc frog and macgreggor single channel,I know it was "one push starboard,two pushes port" but how did I operate the throttle servo?It`s so long ago and the memory grows dim!,

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 412
13th Jun 2017 09:42  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/30119

Aha! 'Galloping Ghost' 😲
Throttle probably by 'blipping' between Full Power and Idle.
Some sets had two throttle buttons; one for increase and one for decrease.
Your rudder control was typical for the escapement type action; 'flapping' between full right and full left. After your full right command you needed one push to re-centre then another push for full left. To make two successive right turns you would have to quickly go through full left on the way! 🤔 Tap tap tap - Much like Smart-phoning today!! 😉
Servos with geared Mighty Midget motors!?
Cheers Doug 😎

"Retirement is when you stop living at work -
and start working at living!" 😉 Doug
philpjuk
(Chief Petty Officer)

13th Jun 2017 15:43  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/30131

Only had one button!as you said,once for right twice for left and once again for straight.Not galloping ghost,I flew that in a "sparky"it was sort of mechanical pulse proportional.Mine had a motorised wooden drum with a triangle of tinplate fastened to it so it reached around drum at one end and finished just short of the other.A moveable wiper slid along the drum so you could get anything from no signal to continuous.As you say the reciever relay pulsed a mighty midget against a spring.It had many problems,the battery drain was high,the thing was continualy twitching and if you flew out of range you got full rudder and a spin!Things are so different now,reliable gear at reasonable prices.But I still cannot remember how that throttle worked!.

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 412
13th Jun 2017 16:05  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/30133

Yep, very twitchy. Somewhere I've read reviews / reports with comments such as "While it was twitching on the ground someone said 'Quick stamp on it before it gets away!' .." 😊 😁
Great shame about the lake 🤔 That's one thing the Germans seem to be better at despite their love of rules and regs. 😉 Each town / city seems to have lake where model boats are allowed. IC boats are banned from all except reclaimed gravel pits outside the city limits. But every park has a boating lake (even the Olympia Park of Olympics and Bayern Munich fame!) and usually with a Biergarten / Restaurant attached, like the Ostpark near where I live in Munich 👍😋
Funny! I thought the Fail-safe was to go into a wide circle not to spin it in!!😭😡 Halcyon days ?? Maybe not! Cheers Doug😎

"Retirement is when you stop living at work -
and start working at living!" 😉 Doug
philpjuk
(Chief Petty Officer)

13th Jun 2017 22:28  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/30143

No it as not fail safe,mine was just carrier wave so with contant signal gave full rudder one way and no signal gave the other.The whole system was a bit marginal and the Hill valve reciever needed two batteries and the servo another and any of them going flat meant trouble!After many crashes I returned to single channel and a rubber powered escapement!.Still remember the sparky as a quivering waste of time!.

Peter47
(Commander)

Forum Posts: 48
14th Jun 2017 12:13  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/30158

Nice pictures, had a play in Photoshop on a couple hope you like, just don't hold me to speedboats colours :-)

philpjuk
(Chief Petty Officer)

14th Jun 2017 16:25  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/30175

The pics were from old negs that had stuck in their sleeves due to damp and I think you got the colours spot on!.

Peter47
(Commander)

Forum Posts: 48
14th Jun 2017 20:59  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/30188

Forgot to say look at the crowds, those were the days my friend.....😎

rolfman2000
(Lieutenant)

Forum Posts: 34
14th Jun 2017 22:59  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/30189

There used to be lots of people sailing boats. Also people just walking the common either before or after Sunday lunch. Families had picnics, and it was a lovely place to be. I can't understand why a council with as many "well off" folk living in the area they have just let it go to rack and ruin. No excuse really. It might even be worth a local boat club trying to reclaim it back from nature. Just a couple of thoughts. Best wishes, Dave W 😊

onetenor
(Commander)

Forum Posts: 109
16th Jun 2017 05:39  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/30241

Any idea why the pool got fenced off? Crying shame👍

onetenor
(Commander)

Forum Posts: 109
16th Jun 2017 06:07  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/30242

Liverpool was well off for pools dotted about in odd places Known mainly to anglers.Plus a mere now drained in the Everton area. But mainly the parks ,Nearly all of them have a model boating pool or a part of the main lake accessible for model boats however due to vandalism at Walton Hall park the clubhouse there had to close. As a result most sailors use Newsham Park pond which the council look after. Or did. I've not been there for years as I now live in N.Wales so don't know how it is now.IIRC there was never a weed problem at any of them either

philpjuk
(Chief Petty Officer)

16th Jun 2017 06:43  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/30243

Lindow Common has been designated a Site of Special Scientific Interest (SSSI) and a Local Nature Reserve (LNR). Positive management is vital in the preservation and enhancement of heathland. In 2001, the former Macclesfield Borough Council received a special commendation from English Nature, the government-funded body which overseas nationally important wildlife sites, in recognition of its management of Lindow Common.So it used to provide enjoyment for hundreds if not thousands and now it is home to frogs and newts,you may walk your dog there but stick to the path,pick up after him and DON`T FEED THE DUCKS!.