Cookies used in this website are gluten free, wheat free and dairy free. By using this website you agree to our use of cookies. More Info
Login Below
Join Us On Social Media!

Get The Model Boats App!
Apple App Store
Android app on Google Play

Help Support This Website
£
or enter custom amount

(Non Contributor)

Help support this free
website and donate.

£285 a year is needed to keep the website and apps online. Please consider donating £5 or more to help towards these fees.
All donations are securely managed through PayPal. Amounts donated are not published online.

Many thanks for your kind support.

Model Boats Website Team

Donation History
July 2017: 12 people
June 2017: 8 people
May 2017: 8 people
April 2017: 23 people
March 2017: 9 people
February 2017: 12 people
January 2017: 28 people

Unique Visitors This Month

Website Members

Terms and Conditions
Privacy Policy
Advertising
Contact

Model Boats Website
Active Users (16)
Login or Register
To Remove This Ad

Login or Register
To Remove This Ad
>> Home > Forum > Boat Specific Chit Chat! > Sea Queen refurbishment
Sea Queen refurbishment
(808 views)
colinhubbard
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 143
3rd Jul 2017 21:36  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/30892

Just started cleaning up my dads old Sea Queen. Spent four hours rubbing down hull (one half), as there is a bad layer of old fibre glass tape round the chine line. After cleaning back I found that the oil from inside had got into the joints. A lot of the nails had fallen out, so I have given a coat of epoxy , it now seems quite stable. Will do the same with the other side. The keel is delaminating so I will inject with epoxy and clamp. Hopefully she will hold together while I do the work so that I can coat the whole hull with extra fine glass cloth and resin. Will have to get more rapid set epoxy from pound shop tomorrow. That's all for now, goodnight all.

Fair winds and calm waters,
COLIN.
colinhubbard
(Fleet Admiral!)

3rd Jul 2017 21:41  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/30893

Sorry no pics as mobile app won't let me upload them and my PC is dead.

COLIN.
colinhubbard
(Fleet Admiral!)

4th Jul 2017 23:00  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/30954

2nd day of refurb, trying to kill the oil on inside, just don't seem to be able to dry it out, anyone got any ideas that might work. I've tried methylated spirit, engine degreaser and electronic component cleaner. So far it seems to dry out but after about 3 hours it's oily again. Or is there a paint that would cover and seal it.

COLIN.
Dave M
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 1171
7th Jul 2017 20:08  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/31046

Hi Colin
If the wood is impregnated with castor and ether you have no option other than to cutout all the affected panels back to the formers and fit replacements. You will need to add stringers to the formers so you can glue the new panels in place. Gorilla white wood glue will work well or epoxy.
You can not paint over an oily surface. If you are lucky it will just be the engine bay that is affected.
Please keep us posted on your progress
Kind Regards
Dave

Live long and prosper

Dave
marky
(Lieutenant)

Forum Posts: 54
7th Jul 2017 21:10  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/31047

i know this may sound a little bit obscure if you can get hold of the little silicone bags that they put in electrical goods if you empty the bags thevsilicone beads are very obsorbant ,another thing you can use but its very messy is concrete dust

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 489
7th Jul 2017 21:55  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/31050

Hi Mark, Hmm! The bags you mean are desiccants, so called because they absorb water! Not oil 🤔 Concrete / cement dust may work (reasonably) well on roads after accidents / oil, diesel spillages but I doubt it will be effective enough to suck oil out of the wood. Dave is right, the only sure way is surgery. Bon chance, Doug 😎

"Retirement is when you stop living at work -
and start working at living!" 😉 Doug
colinhubbard
(Fleet Admiral!)

7th Jul 2017 23:07  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/31051

Hi guys, thanks for suggestions, have managed to get some trichloroethane, degreeser have tried it on an old hull that was oil soaked and it left the wood clean and dry, but beware as it is highly dangerous to inhale the fumes. So hopefully will try on the old Queen at the weekend. Will let you know how it goes. Thanks for the interest Colin.

COLIN.
RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

7th Jul 2017 23:20  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/31052

OMG thought that stuff was banned years ago ?? 😲
Wear a mask and only use it outside or you'll get a rotten headache at the very least. I know this stuff, and trichloroethylene, from my electronics sandwich course end of the seventies. Stinks abominably is extremely volatile and carcinogenic. 😡 Have fun 🤔
What you want with an old Queen is your business 😉😉🤐

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

7th Jul 2017 23:40  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/31053

PS
"1,1,2-Trichloroethane
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
1,1,2-Trichloroethane
1,1,2-TCA
vinyl trichloride
beta-trichloroethane
Chemical formula
C2H3Cl3

Lethal dose or concentration (LD, LC):
LCLo (lowest published)
13,100 mg/m3 (cat, 4.5 hr)
2000 ppm (rat, 4 hr)[2]
US health exposure limits (NIOSH):
PEL (Permissible)
TWA 10 ppm (45 mg/m3) [skin][1]
REL (Recommended)
Ca TWA 10 ppm (45 mg/m3) [skin][1]
IDLH (Immediate danger)
Ca [100 ppm][1]
Related compounds
1,1,1-Trichloroethane; Trichloroethylene

1,1,2-Trichloroethane, or 1,1,2-TCA, is an organochloride solvent with the molecular formula C2H3Cl3. It is a colourless, sweet-smelling liquid that does not dissolve in water, but is soluble in most organic solvents. It is an isomer of 1,1,1-trichloroethane.

It is used as a solvent and as an intermediate in the synthesis of 1,1-dichloroethane.

1,1,2-TCA is a central nervous system depressant and inhalation of vapors may cause dizziness, drowsiness, headache, nausea, shortness of breath, unconsciousness, or cancer."
You have been warned! Not surprisingly it's use and production has been banned since 1996.
Doug
Oh and it is an ozone killer - contributes to the greenhouse effect and global warming. I'm not a tree hugger, but my name isn't Trump either! 😉

colinhubbard
(Fleet Admiral!)

8th Jul 2017 09:43  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/31058

Thanks Doug, your concerns are well founded, I have had previous experience of the stuff, so will be letting the experts do it for me In a lab. Yes it is a banned substance but some specialized labs can use it, and I still had a contact in such a place. Don't tell the wife about the old Queen.
Colin.

COLIN.
canabus
(Lieutenant)

Forum Posts: 41
8th Jul 2017 10:57  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/31062

Hi Colin
I was on the same journey with a IC boat but with bow damage!!
In the end I removed the centre forward deck and the centre of the bottom bow to stern.
The stringer looked OK from the top, but, underneath the fuel had worked it's way in.
I ended up replacing the stringers with larger ones and replacing the keel.
Reskinned between the stringers and keel.
Replacing a centre section of the bow which had been poorly repaired.
Replaced the centre deck.
I bit of a nightmare!!
Because of moving over to brushless motor I custom made an engine hatch.
The radio hatch was missing(all 8x8 inches) so I custom made one!!
It still not finish because of other projects, but, one day!!!

BOATSHED
(Commander)

Forum Posts: 47
8th Jul 2017 16:41  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/31067

Was banned long time back, we used to have some in the dry cleaners that I worked in way back. I still have a small bottle of it in my garage.

BOATSHED
colinhubbard
(Fleet Admiral!)

8th Jul 2017 21:13  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/31072

Thanks for your feedback, I'm not trying to do a major rebuild just get the old Queen looking as good as possible, I think if it holds together after degreasing I'll paint the interior with epoxy resin to stabilize it. Then paint with hamerite smooth white to make it easier to keep clean. As for a motor I have a decoperm 6volt with gear box, or a Johnson 600 to choose from at present fitted with a 3 bladed 30mm brass prop. Also have the original 2 channel 27Mhz RX and tx. But not sure what to fit by way of speed control, I have an old variable sweep rheostat that works well. Wish I could upload pics it might help. Have a choice of 6volt SLA or 7.2volt nicads.
I would like to keep to keep it as near to how dad could have used it in the late 50s early 60s. This project is more for family than me actually using it, just family history to pass on to my grandson. Thanks Colin

COLIN.
onetenor
(Commander)

Forum Posts: 115
8th Jul 2017 21:28  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/31073

Even after Trike not all of the oil may be removed from the wood and could show up later . Trike works really well on metals and fabrics but is hit and miss on wood. Good luck all the same.
John

colinhubbard
(Fleet Admiral!)

11th Jul 2017 22:35  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/31147

Well tomorrow I'll be collecting my Queen, apparently she held together and is now oil free, also varnish, paint and window free. Can't wait to get her home and start work again. Will reveal all tomorrow night.

COLIN.
RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

11th Jul 2017 22:39  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/31148

Ooh, naughty boy !! 😉😉😁

BTW: surprised it didn't remove all the glue as well 🤔
Check the joints!! Cheers Doug 😎

colinhubbard
(Fleet Admiral!)

11th Jul 2017 22:55  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/31149

Might have, but it was pinned with brass pins as well, so will be sealing inside with epoxy resin, then coating the hull with eezicote and extra fine glass cloth before painting and vanishing. Well at least she's stripped for action. It must have taken years off her. (Maybe I should get the wife dipped)? Don't tell her.

COLIN.
jarvo
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 380
11th Jul 2017 23:46  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/31150

Colin, if she see's that post you will die!!!!

Etherow Model Boat Club
colinhubbard
(Fleet Admiral!)

12th Jul 2017 21:43  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/31171

Well just got the Queen back home, it looks quite good, (big relief) as all paint and varnish has gone as well as the oil. Just stained where it had been, the epoxy I had used to stabilize the outside of the hull hasn't been affected, so tomorrow I will coat the inside to make sure that all seems are sealed before fitting the mounts for servo, motor, ESC? And radio. Then applying a coat of Hamerite smooth white. Hope to get my PC back next week then I can upload some photos. I can't decide which motor to use, 600 motor or a 6volt geared decaperm. Any thoughts would be useful. Thanks Colin.

COLIN.
BOATSHED
(Commander)

Forum Posts: 47
12th Jul 2017 22:31  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/31172

We need some pictures ?? Where did you get The Queen Dipped. I take it that's what you have had done. I have a Sea Queen and got her from a boot sale about 6 years ago.Still haven't started work on her. I have a few Aerokits,
Sea Hornet, I made back in the 70's.
Crash Tender, 48"
Sea Commander, also from a boot fair
Crash Tender 34" still in box unmade, 1994 when 50 were made on the 50th anniversary of the Aerokit model. When I saw it advertised in Model Boats grabbed one very quickly. Also have a Precedent Huntsman 31. Purchased that about 25 years ago. Had a 850 electric motor in her. Got a bit of a leak in the hull that's now sorted but she also needs a refurb now. As well as a Precedent Huntsman hull with no cabin top, going to make a top of some kind but different to the original. Hopefully will get round to them all one day. Plus quite a few other model boats.

BOATSHED
colinhubbard
(Fleet Admiral!)

12th Jul 2017 23:03  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/31173

Hi Boatshed, the Queen was treated with TRICLOROETHANE. Sorry can't divulge where but it was done in a laboratory by a guy who owed me a massive favour from when I was working. Even I don't know exactly how its done but sure worked. Wish I could get all my old boats done, as you I have many including an original fireboat from 1957. Also a Sea Urchin, and two Swordsman, a large launch from the early 60's Caroline is 56 inches, plus a 46 inch tug, about 8 other boats that need work, not to mention 5 sailing boats. Most of the fleet are used for displays at vintage and steam rally's. My wife and I spend the winters doing restoration work on models that get donated to us. Good night. Colin.

COLIN.
canabus
(Lieutenant)

Forum Posts: 41
13th Jul 2017 02:28  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/31175

Hi Guys
Looks like we have the same boats!!!
I have a Sea Hornet(built from the original plans), Crash Tender 48", Sea Commander and I bought a Precedent Huntsman 31(fibreglass hull)with building instructions.
The instructions were sold as plans, but, with a lot of time with a photocopier they could be turn into plans.
Or scan into AutoCAD and resized!!!
My mate has a Swordsman which he finally finished after over 40 years(with plans).
All the boats are running brushless motors.
Canabus

colinhubbard
(Fleet Admiral!)

18th Jul 2017 21:12  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/31295

Step one coated inside of hull with polyester resin, poured in and rotated till all surfaces were coated. Poured excess into baking tray lined with greaseproof paper and mixed it with sand and left to set (later to be cut into small sections to use as ballast weights) Now leave for two days to fully cure before painting with White Hamerite.

COLIN.