Cookies used in this website are gluten free, wheat free and dairy free. By using this website you agree to our use of cookies. More Info
Guest
Login Below
Join Us On Social Media!
   
Get The Model Boats App!
Apple App Store
Android app on Google Play


Help Support This Website
£
or enter custom amount

(Non Contributor)

Help support this free
website and donate.



£285 a year is needed to keep the website and apps online. Please consider donating £5 or more to help towards these fees.
All donations are securely managed through PayPal. Amounts donated are not published online.

Many thanks for your kind support.

Model Boats Website Team


Donation History
November 2017: 12 people
October 2017: 9 people
September 2017: 15 people
August 2017: 10 people
July 2017: 16 people
June 2017: 8 people
May 2017: 8 people
April 2017: 22 people


Unique Visitors This Month

Website Members

Terms and Conditions
Privacy Policy
Advertising
Contact


Model Boats Website
Active Users (17)
Login or Register
To Remove This Ad

Login or Register
To Remove This Ad
>> Home > Forum > Boat Specific Chit Chat! > Sea Queen refurbishment
Sea Queen refurbishment
(3604 views)
Author Message
colinhubbard
(Fleet Admiral!)





Forum Posts: 189
3rd Jul 2017 21:36  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/30892

Just started cleaning up my dads old Sea Queen. Spent four hours rubbing down hull (one half), as there is a bad layer of old fibre glass tape round the chine line. After cleaning back I found that the oil from inside had got into the joints. A lot of the nails had fallen out, so I have given a coat of epoxy , it now seems quite stable. Will do the same with the other side. The keel is delaminating so I will inject with epoxy and clamp. Hopefully she will hold together while I do the work so that I can coat the whole hull with extra fine glass cloth and resin. Will have to get more rapid set epoxy from pound shop tomorrow. That's all for now, goodnight all.


Fair winds and calm waters,
COLIN.
colinhubbard
(Fleet Admiral!)





Forum Posts: 189
3rd Jul 2017 21:41  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/30893

Sorry no pics as mobile app won't let me upload them and my PC is dead.


Fair winds and calm waters,
COLIN.
colinhubbard
(Fleet Admiral!)





Forum Posts: 189
4th Jul 2017 23:00  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/30954

2nd day of refurb, trying to kill the oil on inside, just don't seem to be able to dry it out, anyone got any ideas that might work. I've tried methylated spirit, engine degreaser and electronic component cleaner. So far it seems to dry out but after about 3 hours it's oily again. Or is there a paint that would cover and seal it.


Fair winds and calm waters,
COLIN.
Dave M
(Fleet Admiral!)





Forum Posts: 1402
7th Jul 2017 20:08  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/31046

Hi Colin
If the wood is impregnated with castor and ether you have no option other than to cutout all the affected panels back to the formers and fit replacements. You will need to add stringers to the formers so you can glue the new panels in place. Gorilla white wood glue will work well or epoxy.
You can not paint over an oily surface. If you are lucky it will just be the engine bay that is affected.
Please keep us posted on your progress
Kind Regards
Dave


Live long and prosper

Dave
marky
(Fleet Admiral!)





Forum Posts: 165
7th Jul 2017 21:10  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/31047

i know this may sound a little bit obscure if you can get hold of the little silicone bags that they put in electrical goods if you empty the bags thevsilicone beads are very obsorbant ,another thing you can use but its very messy is concrete dust

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)





Forum Posts: 1087
7th Jul 2017 21:55  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/31050

Hi Mark, Hmm! The bags you mean are desiccants, so called because they absorb water! Not oil 🤔 Concrete / cement dust may work (reasonably) well on roads after accidents / oil, diesel spillages but I doubt it will be effective enough to suck oil out of the wood. Dave is right, the only sure way is surgery. Bon chance, Doug 😎


"The brain is not intended to store facts. It is for thinking, and for knowing where to find the facts !" Albert Einstein. 😉 cheers Doug
colinhubbard
(Fleet Admiral!)





Forum Posts: 189
7th Jul 2017 23:07  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/31051

Hi guys, thanks for suggestions, have managed to get some trichloroethane, degreeser have tried it on an old hull that was oil soaked and it left the wood clean and dry, but beware as it is highly dangerous to inhale the fumes. So hopefully will try on the old Queen at the weekend. Will let you know how it goes. Thanks for the interest Colin.


Fair winds and calm waters,
COLIN.
RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)





Forum Posts: 1087
7th Jul 2017 23:20  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/31052

OMG thought that stuff was banned years ago ?? 😲
Wear a mask and only use it outside or you'll get a rotten headache at the very least. I know this stuff, and trichloroethylene, from my electronics sandwich course end of the seventies. Stinks abominably is extremely volatile and carcinogenic. 😡 Have fun 🤔
What you want with an old Queen is your business 😉😉🤐


"The brain is not intended to store facts. It is for thinking, and for knowing where to find the facts !" Albert Einstein. 😉 cheers Doug
RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)





Forum Posts: 1087
7th Jul 2017 23:40  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/31053

PS
"1,1,2-Trichloroethane
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
1,1,2-Trichloroethane
1,1,2-TCA
vinyl trichloride
beta-trichloroethane
Chemical formula
C2H3Cl3

Lethal dose or concentration (LD, LC):
LCLo (lowest published)
13,100 mg/m3 (cat, 4.5 hr)
2000 ppm (rat, 4 hr)[2]
US health exposure limits (NIOSH):
PEL (Permissible)
TWA 10 ppm (45 mg/m3) [skin][1]
REL (Recommended)
Ca TWA 10 ppm (45 mg/m3) [skin][1]
IDLH (Immediate danger)
Ca [100 ppm][1]
Related compounds
1,1,1-Trichloroethane; Trichloroethylene

1,1,2-Trichloroethane, or 1,1,2-TCA, is an organochloride solvent with the molecular formula C2H3Cl3. It is a colourless, sweet-smelling liquid that does not dissolve in water, but is soluble in most organic solvents. It is an isomer of 1,1,1-trichloroethane.

It is used as a solvent and as an intermediate in the synthesis of 1,1-dichloroethane.

1,1,2-TCA is a central nervous system depressant and inhalation of vapors may cause dizziness, drowsiness, headache, nausea, shortness of breath, unconsciousness, or cancer."
You have been warned! Not surprisingly it's use and production has been banned since 1996.
Doug
Oh and it is an ozone killer - contributes to the greenhouse effect and global warming. I'm not a tree hugger, but my name isn't Trump either! 😉


"The brain is not intended to store facts. It is for thinking, and for knowing where to find the facts !" Albert Einstein. 😉 cheers Doug
colinhubbard
(Fleet Admiral!)





Forum Posts: 189
8th Jul 2017 09:43  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/31058

Thanks Doug, your concerns are well founded, I have had previous experience of the stuff, so will be letting the experts do it for me In a lab. Yes it is a banned substance but some specialized labs can use it, and I still had a contact in such a place. Don't tell the wife about the old Queen.
Colin.


Fair winds and calm waters,
COLIN.
canabus
(Admiral)





Forum Posts: 67
8th Jul 2017 10:57  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/31062

Hi Colin
I was on the same journey with a IC boat but with bow damage!!
In the end I removed the centre forward deck and the centre of the bottom bow to stern.
The stringer looked OK from the top, but, underneath the fuel had worked it's way in.
I ended up replacing the stringers with larger ones and replacing the keel.
Reskinned between the stringers and keel.
Replacing a centre section of the bow which had been poorly repaired.
Replaced the centre deck.
I bit of a nightmare!!
Because of moving over to brushless motor I custom made an engine hatch.
The radio hatch was missing(all 8x8 inches) so I custom made one!!
It still not finish because of other projects, but, one day!!!

BOATSHED
(Commander)





Forum Posts: 53
8th Jul 2017 16:41  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/31067

Was banned long time back, we used to have some in the dry cleaners that I worked in way back. I still have a small bottle of it in my garage.


BOATSHED
colinhubbard
(Fleet Admiral!)





Forum Posts: 189
8th Jul 2017 21:13  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/31072

Thanks for your feedback, I'm not trying to do a major rebuild just get the old Queen looking as good as possible, I think if it holds together after degreasing I'll paint the interior with epoxy resin to stabilize it. Then paint with hamerite smooth white to make it easier to keep clean. As for a motor I have a decoperm 6volt with gear box, or a Johnson 600 to choose from at present fitted with a 3 bladed 30mm brass prop. Also have the original 2 channel 27Mhz RX and tx. But not sure what to fit by way of speed control, I have an old variable sweep rheostat that works well. Wish I could upload pics it might help. Have a choice of 6volt SLA or 7.2volt nicads.
I would like to keep to keep it as near to how dad could have used it in the late 50s early 60s. This project is more for family than me actually using it, just family history to pass on to my grandson. Thanks Colin


Fair winds and calm waters,
COLIN.
onetenor
(Fleet Admiral!)





Forum Posts: 176
8th Jul 2017 21:28  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/31073

Even after Trike not all of the oil may be removed from the wood and could show up later . Trike works really well on metals and fabrics but is hit and miss on wood. Good luck all the same.
John

colinhubbard
(Fleet Admiral!)





Forum Posts: 189
11th Jul 2017 22:35  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/31147

Well tomorrow I'll be collecting my Queen, apparently she held together and is now oil free, also varnish, paint and window free. Can't wait to get her home and start work again. Will reveal all tomorrow night.


Fair winds and calm waters,
COLIN.
RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)





Forum Posts: 1087
11th Jul 2017 22:39  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/31148

Ooh, naughty boy !! 😉😉😁

BTW: surprised it didn't remove all the glue as well 🤔
Check the joints!! Cheers Doug 😎


"The brain is not intended to store facts. It is for thinking, and for knowing where to find the facts !" Albert Einstein. 😉 cheers Doug
colinhubbard
(Fleet Admiral!)





Forum Posts: 189
11th Jul 2017 22:55  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/31149

Might have, but it was pinned with brass pins as well, so will be sealing inside with epoxy resin, then coating the hull with eezicote and extra fine glass cloth before painting and vanishing. Well at least she's stripped for action. It must have taken years off her. (Maybe I should get the wife dipped)? Don't tell her.


Fair winds and calm waters,
COLIN.
jarvo
(Fleet Admiral!)





Forum Posts: 472
11th Jul 2017 23:46  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/31150

Colin, if she see's that post you will die!!!!


Etherow Model Boat Club
colinhubbard
(Fleet Admiral!)





Forum Posts: 189
12th Jul 2017 21:43  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/31171

Well just got the Queen back home, it looks quite good, (big relief) as all paint and varnish has gone as well as the oil. Just stained where it had been, the epoxy I had used to stabilize the outside of the hull hasn't been affected, so tomorrow I will coat the inside to make sure that all seems are sealed before fitting the mounts for servo, motor, ESC? And radio. Then applying a coat of Hamerite smooth white. Hope to get my PC back next week then I can upload some photos. I can't decide which motor to use, 600 motor or a 6volt geared decaperm. Any thoughts would be useful. Thanks Colin.


Fair winds and calm waters,
COLIN.
BOATSHED
(Commander)





Forum Posts: 53
12th Jul 2017 22:31  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/31172

We need some pictures ?? Where did you get The Queen Dipped. I take it that's what you have had done. I have a Sea Queen and got her from a boot sale about 6 years ago.Still haven't started work on her. I have a few Aerokits,
Sea Hornet, I made back in the 70's.
Crash Tender, 48"
Sea Commander, also from a boot fair
Crash Tender 34" still in box unmade, 1994 when 50 were made on the 50th anniversary of the Aerokit model. When I saw it advertised in Model Boats grabbed one very quickly. Also have a Precedent Huntsman 31. Purchased that about 25 years ago. Had a 850 electric motor in her. Got a bit of a leak in the hull that's now sorted but she also needs a refurb now. As well as a Precedent Huntsman hull with no cabin top, going to make a top of some kind but different to the original. Hopefully will get round to them all one day. Plus quite a few other model boats.


BOATSHED
colinhubbard
(Fleet Admiral!)





Forum Posts: 189
12th Jul 2017 23:03  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/31173

Hi Boatshed, the Queen was treated with TRICLOROETHANE. Sorry can't divulge where but it was done in a laboratory by a guy who owed me a massive favour from when I was working. Even I don't know exactly how its done but sure worked. Wish I could get all my old boats done, as you I have many including an original fireboat from 1957. Also a Sea Urchin, and two Swordsman, a large launch from the early 60's Caroline is 56 inches, plus a 46 inch tug, about 8 other boats that need work, not to mention 5 sailing boats. Most of the fleet are used for displays at vintage and steam rally's. My wife and I spend the winters doing restoration work on models that get donated to us. Good night. Colin.


Fair winds and calm waters,
COLIN.
canabus
(Admiral)





Forum Posts: 67
13th Jul 2017 02:28  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/31175

Hi Guys
Looks like we have the same boats!!!
I have a Sea Hornet(built from the original plans), Crash Tender 48", Sea Commander and I bought a Precedent Huntsman 31(fibreglass hull)with building instructions.
The instructions were sold as plans, but, with a lot of time with a photocopier they could be turn into plans.
Or scan into AutoCAD and resized!!!
My mate has a Swordsman which he finally finished after over 40 years(with plans).
All the boats are running brushless motors.
Canabus

colinhubbard
(Fleet Admiral!)





Forum Posts: 189
18th Jul 2017 21:12  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/31295

Step one coated inside of hull with polyester resin, poured in and rotated till all surfaces were coated. Poured excess into baking tray lined with greaseproof paper and mixed it with sand and left to set (later to be cut into small sections to use as ballast weights) Now leave for two days to fully cure before painting with White Hamerite.


Fair winds and calm waters,
COLIN.
colinhubbard
(Fleet Admiral!)





Forum Posts: 189
24th Jul 2017 22:25  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/31438

Left to harden for 4 days, then got the hamerite white and thinned down to spraying consistency and poured it inside, rotating in all directions to coat completely pour out paint and leave to dry over night then using the paint saved from first coat I recoated it again. So now the Queen has a nice white interior. Will now look to do the fitting out of controls before finishing the outside. I do wish I could upload pictures, but will do a full set when I get a computer. I'm thinking of using a 600 motor, as I have a couple in my motor box not earmarked for a specific build.


Fair winds and calm waters,
COLIN.
octman
(Captain)





Forum Posts: 99
26th Jul 2017 13:30  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/31465

Hello Colin, regarding your use of polyester resin inside the hull, did you use the standard mix and consistency or did you thin it,if so, what did you thin it with? Was is like water, or more "gloopy"? I have my supply of polyester ready to go but do not want to make a mess of it.

Chris

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)





Forum Posts: 1087
26th Jul 2017 14:00  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/31467

Hi Colin, the 'Gloop Factor' would interest me very much too for my Sea Scout renovation, probably also for my old destroyer as well. 👍
Cheers Doug 😎
PS and the old Billing Fish Cutter 😉


"The brain is not intended to store facts. It is for thinking, and for knowing where to find the facts !" Albert Einstein. 😉 cheers Doug
colinhubbard
(Fleet Admiral!)





Forum Posts: 189
26th Jul 2017 22:19  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/31479

Hi Doug and Chris, Well good question ? So I rang the local fiber glass moulders to see what they had supplied me, as no label on the jar. It is styrene, and I was told to add 10 parts resin to 1 part styrene. And add Hardner/activator as normal before use or spray activator over the coated area, that is the way I did it, and it works. I think it took about 1 hour to be touch dry, but I left overnight before recoating. Apparently this mix is sprayable using a high pressure low volume spraygun. ONLY USE ACETONE TO REMOVE RESINS AND CLEAN TOOLS AND BRUSHES, DO NOT THIN WITH ACETONE. Best of luck Colin.


Fair winds and calm waters,
COLIN.
BOATSHED
(Commander)





Forum Posts: 53
26th Jul 2017 23:45  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/31480

Keep Acetone well away from your fibreglass on your boat. It will eat it away, only use it for cleaning tools. I found out the hard way. Lucky it was a very old boat and was almost beyond any more repair. No one was around to warn me.


BOATSHED
octman
(Captain)





Forum Posts: 99
27th Jul 2017 09:24  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/31483

Thanks for the reply Colin. You originally posted that you used polyester. Is that the same as styrene or a different thing altogether? Also, how runny was it when you applied it to the hull, like water or thicker?

Chris

Dave M
(Fleet Admiral!)





Forum Posts: 1402
27th Jul 2017 09:57  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/31484

Hi All
Polyester resin uses Styrene as the solvent. Over time this evaporates and the resin becomes too thick to use for layup of fibreglass. Adding more styrene will restore the resin to its correct fluid layup state. If you use large quantities stored in large cans this is a real lifesaver. Smaller cans do not suffer quite the same as they are usually quickly used.
Hope this helps your understanding of Polyester resin.
Cheers
Dave


Live long and prosper

Dave
RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)





Forum Posts: 1087
27th Jul 2017 10:42  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/31486

Hi Dave, very interesting and useful but not all we (I) wanted to know!
The main question was / is the viscosity "how runny"! We are not talking about laying up forms here but coating the hull inside by pouring.
Think I'll just use Ezekote (just found a dealer in Germany👍) or diluted yacht varnish 😉 Can buy this down the road at the Baumarkt 👍
cheers Doug 😎


"The brain is not intended to store facts. It is for thinking, and for knowing where to find the facts !" Albert Einstein. 😉 cheers Doug
Dave M
(Fleet Admiral!)





Forum Posts: 1402
27th Jul 2017 14:05  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/31501

Hi Doug
Resin is heavy and applying by coating the inside of a boat will if the wood is porous absorb lots and greatly increase the weight.
The thinner it is the more it will be absorbed.
Layup resin is of a similar consistency to liquid brushing paint (not the gel type). It goes more pourable as the temperature increases. It is much thinner than the Isopon resin sold in many car repair packs.
Adding styrene will thin the mixture allowing it to penetrate the glass cloth or matting. It is worked well into the mat to keep the weight to a minimum and any excess is mopped up with paper towels. After several coats the fibreglass will be formed and dries rock hard over a couple of days if the correct temperature is maintained. High temps will reduce the time but will be more difficult to work with as the gel stage will happen much quicker.
Sorry to rabbit on a bit but I am trying to warn you that you may end up with a very heavy model if you do not use sparingly.

If you can get the consistency similar to yacht varnish you can, like me, paint inside the boat including the underside of the deck. Paint out any runs and remove any excess with paper towels. You really only need a very thin coating. If you need to add strength then use some cloth or matting and work the resin well in and mop off any excess with paper towels.

If you want to use your brushes and mixing pots again Acetone is the best cleaner but do keep it away from the resin.

Both your alternatives would work just as well.

It must be Summertime as we keep having rain showers!

Cheers
Dave


Live long and prosper

Dave
RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)





Forum Posts: 1087
27th Jul 2017 14:20  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/31503

Hi Dave, Ta 👍
After thinking back to the fun (and pong!) of laminating my destroyer hull I came to similar conclusions 😉 Won't have to mess about with acetone either, not so easy to buy in quantity here. Little bottles of nail varnish remover are expensive 🤔
I don't need to add strength. Just want to clean up and seal the old girl prior to painting the inside with Hammerite and subsequently fitting the new brushless and electronics. Got curious after reading all that about sealing with resin! Cheers Doug 😎


"The brain is not intended to store facts. It is for thinking, and for knowing where to find the facts !" Albert Einstein. 😉 cheers Doug
colinhubbard
(Fleet Admiral!)





Forum Posts: 189
27th Jul 2017 16:50  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/31506

Sorry for delay answering but my broadband died. Well the consistency I used was like normal liquid paint / pouring cream. Bit messy but good results, kept workshop at 30 degrees c.
The object of this job is to restore an otherwise dead boat built by my dad in the late 1950s. Although a bit heavier it isn't going to be used except on special occasions. And will be handed down to my grandson in due coarse.


Fair winds and calm waters,
COLIN.
RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)





Forum Posts: 1087
27th Jul 2017 17:04  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/31508

Muchas gracias 👍
My Sea Scout project is very similar; built by my Dad ca 1965. I was about 14. Whipper-snapper, as Granny used to say 🤔
Look forward to the pics / vid.
Cheers Doug 😎


"The brain is not intended to store facts. It is for thinking, and for knowing where to find the facts !" Albert Einstein. 😉 cheers Doug
rolfman2000
(Admiral)





Forum Posts: 102
27th Jul 2017 18:24  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/31509

It's amazing how many of us have the same types of model boats. I have 2 crash tenders (34" + 46") A fairey Huntsman 31 (34"), a swordfish 28", 50" Aerokits PT109, Veron RAF RTTL launch, 34" Perkasa grp hull. And working on an old Veron Thames Police launch. I wonder if it's an age thing, as I'm looking for a 46" Sea Commander to çomplete my set. Watching with interest your decommissioning of the Sea Queen. Mind the chemicals please, as I don't want to hear of any of you lot in hospital. Best wishes all, Dave W 😊

octman
(Captain)





Forum Posts: 99
27th Jul 2017 18:46  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/31510

Back to the polyester! I have just read an item about coating wood with polyester, quoting an apparently well known Australian surf board maker, saying that there are chemicals in the wood that prevent the soaked in resin from setting. It sets on the surface and all appears well, but not deep down and it may all become detached some time in the future. Too late for me though as I have just done mine!

Chris

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)





Forum Posts: 1087
27th Jul 2017 19:03  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/31512

Interesting! 😲 I already decided to go a different route. I'll save the resins for major construction work.
Ciao Doug 😎


"The brain is not intended to store facts. It is for thinking, and for knowing where to find the facts !" Albert Einstein. 😉 cheers Doug
colinhubbard
(Fleet Admiral!)





Forum Posts: 189
27th Jul 2017 19:59  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/31514

Well Chris I have used this method on various models over the last 50+years and not had one delaminate. I prefer this method for repairs to old boats that do a lot of miles travelling to and from shows in my trailer, as a lot of my vintage boats don't get to sail very often and live in my trailer all year round so need protection from damp air, especially ones made of paper mache or card. The exteriors are coated with eezikote and .8 gsm glass cloth. This is very good protection for balsa and other soft hulls, including polystyrene packing boxes that I used for barges and narrow boats.


Fair winds and calm waters,
COLIN.
Dave M
(Fleet Admiral!)





Forum Posts: 1402
27th Jul 2017 20:04  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/31515

Hi Colin
Good to hear your PC is fixed and the Sea Queen is well on the way to final restoration. I look forward to seeing some on water pics in due course.

Chris
Most wood contains resin of some sort so it could interfere with the resin we apply. Unless you are intending to go surfing with your model I doubt it will suffer quite like a surfboard!😁

Used sparingly on a clean surface it will both protect and harden the surface.

I suppose my early modelling when building and painting model planes has made me so keen to keep the weight light. Some of my early efforts looked truly realistic and flew like a brick

Happy days
dave


Live long and prosper

Dave
colinhubbard
(Fleet Admiral!)





Forum Posts: 189
27th Jul 2017 23:01  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/31521

Thanks Dave, yes the old lady is now stable and solid enough to work on. Have a few new bits to make, two cabin roof's and may even re-deck her as the balsa deck has lots of damage and filler would not look good so get family to grab a few handfuls of coffee stirers as they make great deck planks. I am going to put dads 27mhz radio system back in. Then decide which motor is best suited. By the way I still DON'T HAVE A PC. The shop said it has gone past repair so I'll have to save up for a replacement. Unless I find one on free cycle.


Fair winds and calm waters,
COLIN.
Dave M
(Fleet Admiral!)





Forum Posts: 1402
28th Jul 2017 09:19  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/31530

Hi Colin
Oh dear my mistake
I do hope you manage to source a replacement PC, my local freecycle groups often have such offerings.
Looks like your family will be visiting lots of coffee shops!
Cheers
Dave


Live long and prosper

Dave
BOATSHED
(Commander)





Forum Posts: 53
28th Jul 2017 18:28  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/31535

"rolfman2000" I didn't know there was a 46" Sea Commander. I just assumed that the Sea Queen was a larger version of the Sea Commander but just renamed. I have never seen an advert in any of the old model boat magazines for one. I have many old magazines some even from back in the 1960's and not seen one in them.


BOATSHED
rolfman2000
(Admiral)





Forum Posts: 102
28th Jul 2017 19:23  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/31536

Sorry Boatshed, that was me just getting mixed up while trying to type on a mobile phone. The Sea Queen is, of course the bigger version of the Sea Commander, and it is the Queen I have been after. Best wishes, Dave

BOATSHED
(Commander)





Forum Posts: 53
28th Jul 2017 22:13  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/31538

Sorry rolfman2000 I wasn't being funny about it, you just had me wondering about it. As you say we all seem to have the same boats. I have both 34" & 46" Crash Tenders both still unmade in the boxes. A 46" to refurbish, Sea Queen and Sea Commander both again for refurbishing, 34" Huntsman and A Huntsman Hull with no top and a Perkasa hull with no top also to refurb. Sea Hornet as well as several other model boats which are fibreglass ones. And a couple of cars and planes but I still cannot fly them, I cannot get the hang of them. You can get the Sea Queen from Vintage Model boats as they are remaking it now.


BOATSHED
RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)





Forum Posts: 1087
28th Jul 2017 23:26  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/31540

Hi All, Good luck all you Retros. My Sea Scout renovation (and Taycol Target conversion) were enough for me in that direction. Nostalgia is fine, up to a point, but I'm trying to embrace the present and the future.
Maybe it's a result of spending 30 years trundling round the world discussing with navies and shipyards and surveying ships under refit or new construction and noting the massive advancements in construction technique and installed equipment. A vastly different perspective to most perhaps, but somehow we have to go forward as well as respect the past.
We all stand on the shoulders of the greats who went before us, but they showed us the way - not the destination!
OK I admit I have also built/bought ships of WW2, out of admiration of their histories and those of the men who fought in them, and also admit that my first attempt, HMS Hotspur was built copying the construction techniques of Aerokits (at 14 I didn't know any better), but my next project will be modern: T45 the new Daring Class. (Saw her in the fitting out dock at BAE😊, the modules under construction in the halls were also most impressive - looked huge from the ground 😲)
I also have a few experimental odds and ends in the 'kitchen': foam delta wing flying-boat, hovercraft, airship (where do I get the damn helium? Hydrogen I can produce - simple hydrolysis, but don't want to send the flat into orbit 🤔)
Please don't get me wrong, and all jump down my throat, but I'm missing the progress and the connections to modern technology (e.g. 3D printing - exception: Midlife👍) which will encourage youngsters to follow in our footsteps and stand on our shoulders! 🤔
Maybe rolfman got it right; 'It's an age thing!'
My challenge at almost 66 is to combine the best of the past with what is possible NOW!
OK, I'm off my soapbox now 😉
Happy building (however you want do it) and always a hand-width water under your keel 😊
Cheers Doug 😎
PS I forgot to add: I am in no way denigrating the superb workmanship I have seen in various Build Blogs; for example I recently spent an entire day reviewing with wonderment Robbob's build blog, magnificent and I learned a lot. But where do we go from here?


"The brain is not intended to store facts. It is for thinking, and for knowing where to find the facts !" Albert Einstein. 😉 cheers Doug
canabus
(Admiral)





Forum Posts: 67
29th Jul 2017 05:00  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/31544

Hi RNinMunich
I agree with you past, respect the past but move forward.
With a lot of areas of limit to IC motors we have to move to brushless motors and Lipo batteries.
I have changed over with the times and running brushless motors in my Aerokits Sea Hornet, Sea Commander and a
restoring a Precedent Huntsman.
These old boats can go as fast if not faster with the change over.
Canabus

Dave M
(Fleet Admiral!)





Forum Posts: 1402
29th Jul 2017 09:10  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/31546

I have always embraced new technology and agree some of the older skillsets are fast disappearing as it is now possible to design and build almost anything from an electronic gizmo.
I embrace these new techniques and have delved into 3d CAD and printers and can now make most of the bits I need.
I started like many born just after the war with plastic kits followed by balsa and tissue planes, model trains, cars, boats then into electronics and early RC.
I get great pleasure from the building either scratch or kit but I do worry that many prefer to just buy the finished product.
I still have my IC engines and planes from my flying days but for all but the fast racers, brushless more than meets the power requirements for our scale models, but I don't deny or object to the many who still enjoy IC and have access to permitted venues.
Battery power has improved over the years and Lithium batteries are capable of delivering massive power at little weight. Provided they are handled and treated correctly they are safe to use but rather like fireworks incorrect handling can be unpredictable and dangerous.
This refurbishment really goes back to basics and will result in a model being restored and enjoyed for many years and Colin has certainly shown us some new techniques.
I doubt if some of the off the shelf newer models will survive quite so long.
Dave


Live long and prosper

Dave
canabus
(Admiral)





Forum Posts: 67
29th Jul 2017 10:43  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/31548

Hi Dave M
CAD and 3D printers would be very handy reproducing old parts for old boats which are no longer available because the company has gone out of business.

Start up a small business to save old boat fittings!!!!
Oh, a 3D scanner would save some time.

Canabus

BOATSHED
(Commander)





Forum Posts: 53
29th Jul 2017 11:35  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/31550

RNinMunich, I presume you are situated in Munich. We can get helium in several places here in the UK. Even one high street shop, ARGOS. It is also available through AMAZON. Don't know if that's of any help or even if you were serious as to where you could get it ??
I am 66 (almost 67, in 4 weeks)and have been boat modelling since the age of nine and have also progressed from IC and Taycol to brushless but still use all types. Have also gone into purchasing ready to run, but still get a buzz from the building the model from a kit, have even shrunk and enlarged from plans to build other size models. I haven't tried the 3D printers, not sure about that side of it yet. I find this site a very interesting and helpful place. But I am not as adventurous as some with all the detail they go into. Please keep adding info to this site.


BOATSHED
Dave M
(Fleet Admiral!)





Forum Posts: 1402
29th Jul 2017 13:50  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/31556

Hi Canabus
I agree but I retired for the second time in 2009 and have no wish to return to employment.
I do scratch build so make lots of fittings. My purpose in buying the 3D printer was to speed up the production of masters that I could take a mould off to then produce in fast cast resin. Used this on the Olympic and Titanic and have the hull for the Mauretania at 1:96 so plenty of fittings required there. I also have fittings for the KD Perkassa so am not restricted to any scale. This is the real benefit of CAD design as you can quickly rescale to anything (within reason) and the SD printer will produce the masters.
3D copiers are still a bit in the development stage for hobbyists and I am waiting for the cost to become more reasonable. I have seen a demo but its only good for figures in 1:12 scale with an affordable 3d printer. You could use a professional print service but its dear and rather defeats the object of designing and printing at home.

Stephen does produce a range of fittings in the site model shop so they are available.

Dave


Live long and prosper

Dave
colinhubbard
(Fleet Admiral!)





Forum Posts: 189
31st Jul 2017 14:36  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/31596

Sea Queen refurbishment on hold, managed to drill 1/4" hole through left index finger and it throbs like hell. So all modelling on hold till it's healed up. Funny thing didn't hurt till I pulled drill back out. Well that's me for now, cheers Colin.


Fair winds and calm waters,
COLIN.
octman
(Captain)





Forum Posts: 99
31st Jul 2017 14:50  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/31597

Oh dear, I can't imagine anything more inconvenient than having a disabled index finger! It gets used for most things. Are you a lefty like me or right handed? Still a problem whichever.
And I thought I had a problem last week with a modelling knife in my foot!
Get well soon Colin.

rolfman2000
(Admiral)





Forum Posts: 102
31st Jul 2017 16:44  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/31599

Oh heck Colin. That's damned inconvenient and probably quite painful for you. Hoping it heals quickly, and that things get back to normal for you. Best wishes, Dave W.

colinhubbard
(Fleet Admiral!)





Forum Posts: 189
31st Jul 2017 21:20  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/31607

Thanks for your simpathy, yes it is quite painful when I forget and try to use it. Otherwise just a major annoyance not being able to grip things that you do normally without thinking especially my walking stick, having trouble using the wrong hand for walking the dog. But hoping it will be better in a couple of weeks.


Fair winds and calm waters,
COLIN.
BOATSHED
(Commander)





Forum Posts: 53
31st Jul 2017 21:48  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/31608

Wow a 1/4" drill through your finger, painful isn't the word I would have thought. And some one else with a modelling knife in his foot. I always say I haven't done the job properly unless I have drawn blood. I have slipped many times with Stanley knives and scalpels. Even more so when I am working on the car. Hope it heals soon and you are back enjoying you modelling. Are you not able to upload pictures of your build yet. It would be nice to see some.


BOATSHED
colinhubbard
(Fleet Admiral!)





Forum Posts: 189
31st Jul 2017 21:59  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/31609

Sorry the app still won't let me upload pictures or reply to PM's.


Fair winds and calm waters,
COLIN.
onetenor
(Fleet Admiral!)





Forum Posts: 176
31st Jul 2017 23:04  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/31610

Just a few quickies. first of all did the drill bit hit the bone? If so it needs an x -ray as there could be bone splinters that will cause pain even after the hole has healed. Re coating boat hulls try 2 part Epoxy paint / resins which can be used with cloth like polyester resin. RN I believe Acetone and various other solvents are available in quantity off the supermarket shelf in France👍. Do you get over the border at all? Not sure but I think the OP that said this mentioned ether too.

colinhubbard
(Fleet Admiral!)





Forum Posts: 189
31st Jul 2017 23:25  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/31612

Yep a few splinters, doc said I was lucky I was using high speed self feed or it would have ripped it more. I must remember to use a vice next time. Fifty years engineering, 31 years as industrial first aider, and 20 years as works safety officer should have known better, but I was in a hurry and not thinking straight as my pain killers leave me a little light headed like I've had a few pints.


Fair winds and calm waters,
COLIN.
onetenor
(Fleet Admiral!)





Forum Posts: 176
1st Aug 2017 00:33  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/31613

In which case what were you doing "operating machinery " in that condition you naughty boy

colinhubbard
(Fleet Admiral!)





Forum Posts: 189
1st Aug 2017 06:56  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/31614

A favour.


Fair winds and calm waters,
COLIN.
colinhubbard
(Fleet Admiral!)





Forum Posts: 189
16th Sep 2017 21:11  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/33254

Hi there all you following this blog. Some sad news today, have just come back from a short break with my son and family, to a devastated workshop with a tree laying across the middle, no roof left its all gone collapsed inwards.
My son managed to get inside but wasn't able to salvage anything. He thinks my models on the workbench are all squashed. He is coming tomorrow with a chainsaw to start the clear up. I'm glad the concrete walls haven't been damaged so at least we can re-roof fairly quickly. Also handy having a builder for a son. I'll update when I'm allowed in to see the damage.


Fair winds and calm waters,
COLIN.
rolfman2000
(Admiral)





Forum Posts: 102
16th Sep 2017 21:36  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/33256

Sat here gobsmacked, and thinking how I would feel if it happened to me. And the word is Gobsmacked, and probably numb with sickness. Hope you find at least some of your models in a repairable condition, and that you can make good the damage to your workshop. Best, & kindest wishes for the future, Dave W 😊

jarvo
(Fleet Admiral!)





Forum Posts: 472
16th Sep 2017 21:57  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/33257

The only words are tragic, I can't imagine my reaction, I know what SWIMBO would say, hope the damage is not to bad, but still soul destroying.

Mark


Etherow Model Boat Club
RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)





Forum Posts: 1087
16th Sep 2017 22:17  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/33259

Sincerely hope something is salvageable. Insurance?
Doesn't compensate for the blood sweat and tears I know, but something.
Hope your 'Yard' is soon back up and running.
All the best Doug.


"The brain is not intended to store facts. It is for thinking, and for knowing where to find the facts !" Albert Einstein. 😉 cheers Doug
EAGLE
(Lieutenant)





Forum Posts: 43
16th Sep 2017 22:56  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/33260

Hi
It must be something about this month, charging a lipo all went well, charge finished, felt just warm, tidied up, slipped battery into holder and went my tot, next thing the smoke alarm went off, got it on shovel and outside. First one in our street with fireworks, so scratch one Thames water taxi, and a blo***ng of swbo, all a wright off. Regards Dave 😭😭😭

onetenor
(Fleet Admiral!)





Forum Posts: 176
17th Sep 2017 03:45  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/33263

That's exactly why I don't touch Lipos. You never know the minute.

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)





Forum Posts: 1087
17th Sep 2017 07:39  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/33264

Steer clear of cheapo 'No names' and follow the rules, including charging on a non inflammable surface and/or in a LiPo bag or box and never in the model, and they shouldn't be a problem!
Doug


"The brain is not intended to store facts. It is for thinking, and for knowing where to find the facts !" Albert Einstein. 😉 cheers Doug
colinhubbard
(Fleet Admiral!)





Forum Posts: 189
17th Sep 2017 17:19  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/33305

We have managed to cut and remove the tree with the help of local farmer and his telehandler. Son has put scaffolding all round the building now and is starting to remove sections of the collapsed roof, with a bit of luck should be able to see inside tomorrow. Son thinks that my working area seems to be the worst affected area by he said there seems to be a couple of boats on the floor in the corner. So fingers crossed something has survived. There were eight boats undergoing repairs, my wife's swordsman, and her two launches, a Norstar Fireboat, a sea commander, a 48" bounty waiting for rigging, my dads old Sea Queen, and a 34" Huntsman having a repaint. As for insurance, mine said I should claim on the trees owner as it wasn't mine. Might be a problem there it was on communal land owned by housing association.
Anyway not much I can do till its safe to go in. Must say my son and his two mates haven't stopped from 8-00 this morning till now. By for now Colin.


Fair winds and calm waters,
COLIN.
RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)





Forum Posts: 1087
17th Sep 2017 18:57  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/33310

Keeping my fingers crossed for you (makes it difficult to type!!😉)
If the Housing Association don't answer you may need a lawyer!!
All the best, Doug 😎


"The brain is not intended to store facts. It is for thinking, and for knowing where to find the facts !" Albert Einstein. 😉 cheers Doug
colinhubbard
(Fleet Admiral!)





Forum Posts: 189
18th Sep 2017 15:11  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/33351

We got some good news today, apparently a neighbour had contacted housing association when it happened last week, so when I rang they said all repair and replacement costs will be covered as long as I send copies of invoices for work done.
Also have managed to recover sea commander with minor damage to cabin roof, both Fairey's and one launch undamaged. But big disappointment as the old Queen was crushed, have to wait and see what else is left that can be salvaged. The boys are rigging up a temporary roof at present so should be weather proof by tonight. I forgot to take my pain killers this morning so now suffering and can't walk. Be glad when the quack decides what to do about my problem, I'd rather have no legs than all this pain.
Will update tomorrow, cheers all Colin.


Fair winds and calm waters,
COLIN.
rolfman2000
(Admiral)





Forum Posts: 102
18th Sep 2017 15:47  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/33355

Colin, I have the same problem with my spine and legs. I live my life dosed up to the nines to help "manage" the pain. My problem sadly, is unfixable, so I have no choice but to put up with the pain, or feeling permanently half cut. Good news about about your workshop, & most of your boats. Sorry about the queen. If it's any use, I have an extremely old sea Queen which is very tatty that I had given to me for postage, that I will offer you the same deal (for postage only), if it will help you out. Kindest wishes, Dave W 😊

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)





Forum Posts: 1087
18th Sep 2017 16:48  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/33358

Hi Both, Good news indeed from the housing people👍
Hope they will also pay for replacements for crushed boats and equipment.
Sorry to hear about the debilitating ailments 🤔
Best wishes, Doug 😎


"The brain is not intended to store facts. It is for thinking, and for knowing where to find the facts !" Albert Einstein. 😉 cheers Doug
onetenor
(Fleet Admiral!)





Forum Posts: 176
18th Sep 2017 16:55  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/33359

Good news indeed but sorry about the Queen. Is it really a dead loss? I can't help there sorry.Make sure your lads get proper wages out of this.👍

jarvo
(Fleet Admiral!)





Forum Posts: 472
18th Sep 2017 18:52  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/33362

Great news regarding the insurance, so sorry you are in so much pain.
Dont forget the hours of building time as well as kit, paints, adhesives etc, make them pay for their failure to maintain the tree
Mark


Etherow Model Boat Club
colinhubbard
(Fleet Admiral!)





Forum Posts: 189
18th Sep 2017 19:52  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/33365

Don't worry, they have already paid my son and his mates for the work so far, and have offered them a repair contract at very good rates. They are willing to pay the going rate to replace all losses with new stuff, they came with an assessor today and took photos of what's been done so far, as they took photos last week for reference. All I've got to do now is make a list of all losses, assessor told me to list all damaged items as total loss, as they don't pay for hobby work time. So should cover everything, only loss really is the memories of Dad and his boat. Well not the actual memory, but his boat. Thanks to you all for the kind thoughts, much appreciated, it eases the pain of my losses no end.
Thanks Colin.


Fair winds and calm waters,
COLIN.
BOATSHED
(Commander)





Forum Posts: 53
18th Sep 2017 21:22  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/33366

I have been on holiday for the last couple of weeks and only just seen this. I am so sorry to hear about you situation. Hope you get it all sorted out soon. I have so much model stuff in my shed, Brick built. I have the insurance company cover it for £5k. Even then I don't know it that would cover it as it also contains a mega amount of fishing tackle. That alone must be over half of the amount and with about 20 model boats and heaps of radio gear I wouldn't think it would cover half of the shed contents. Good luck I hope you get sorted soon.
Insurance companies can be a bit crappy at times.


BOATSHED
colinhubbard
(Fleet Admiral!)





Forum Posts: 189
18th Sep 2017 22:44  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/33370

Hi Dave, thanks for your very generous offer, it's not the boat so much as the fact it was my dad's boat, so it wouldn't be the same, I've still got 3 of his old boats. And I think the wife is right in thinking we should downsize our fleet. Between us we have about 25? Boats. Plus a few hulls awaiting finishing. And a few kits in the process of being built. And with my R.A. and pain killers its getting harder to concentrate on the modelling. Anyway thanks again for the kind offer but I'll reluctantly say no. All the best Colin.


Fair winds and calm waters,
COLIN.
colinhubbard
(Fleet Admiral!)





Forum Posts: 189
19th Sep 2017 19:41  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/33387

Super news, just been in the workshop, only lost the Bounty and the Queen, rest only suffered minor damage, losses include my cordless drill, lifting beam and hoist, they were what did the damage inside. My old PC was squashed as well, but it was already dead, but the assessor has agreed to a replacement, also a new drill hoist and beam and the building works, I'll also need a new side door as it used to open inwards but had to be cut out to gain access. New roof beams arrive tomorrow, the boys think roof will be done for weekend. Housing people are being very good about it all. Off to PC World, tomorrow to look at a replacement, seems every cloud really does have a silver lining. I'm feeling much happier now I've been in my workshop and been able to help clear it up. Just waiting for the doctors decision on my knee and hip and back problems, as I'm fed up being on pain killers that make me feel so useless. My brain only seems to function properly when I'm in pain, but then my body doesn't like to work. Oh well stop feeling sorry for myself there's others far worse off. Cheers all Colin.


Fair winds and calm waters,
COLIN.
RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)





Forum Posts: 1087
19th Sep 2017 20:11  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/33388

Hi Colin, that's absolutely terrific. I'm very happy for you 😊😊😊 New PC too, great👍 Shame about the Queen and Bounty. Your mention of Bounty had intrigued me, had hoped to see some pics - lots of intricate woodwork and rigging!!! 😡
Not my forte I'm afraid!
All the very best, Doug 😎
PS: you're right about 'others', Granny always used to say "Never mind, worse things happen at sea" Good luck with the quacks. 👍


"The brain is not intended to store facts. It is for thinking, and for knowing where to find the facts !" Albert Einstein. 😉 cheers Doug
jarvo
(Fleet Admiral!)





Forum Posts: 472
20th Sep 2017 00:03  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/33395

Hi Colin, great news about the workshop, hope your medical news will be as good. Mark


Etherow Model Boat Club
onetenor
(Fleet Admiral!)





Forum Posts: 176
20th Sep 2017 02:06  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/33398

You could say it's an ill wind that doesn't blow anybody any good. Pity it can't help your illness. I have a pre-op appointment on Friday then hopefully I can get hips done. Good luck for your treatment too as I know what you mean about your pain. My drugs don't even work and they won't increase the dose. John👍

colinhubbard
(Fleet Admiral!)





Forum Posts: 189
21st Sep 2017 21:08  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/33440

Just got news from hospital, have been referred for surgery, so now waiting for appointment. Also ordered a PC today ready to start again, workshop roof support beams all in place, as well as a new lifting beam and hoist, boarding and felting starting tomorrow. Hopefully will be able to work again soon as the specialist says if opps work I should be pain free. I'll believe it when it happens. Cheers Colin.


Fair winds and calm waters,
COLIN.
rolfman2000
(Admiral)





Forum Posts: 102
21st Sep 2017 21:15  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/33441

Well, let's see what the surgeons say Colin. It must be nice to have a pain free life on the horizon. Good news on the PC & new lifting beam and hoist. So you should have a weatherproof workshop in the very near future. Are you going up to the Cobb on Sunday ? I'm hoping to get there (weather permitting) for the first time in about weeks. Fingers crossed for decent weather. Best wishes to you Colin, cheers, Dave W 😊

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)





Forum Posts: 1087
21st Sep 2017 21:32  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/33443

All fingers (and toes😲) crossed for you Colin. 👍
German equivalent is
'Ich druck dir die Daumen' = I press for you the thumbs!!
Makes it very difficult to do anything else 😉
All the best (Alles Gute), Doug


"The brain is not intended to store facts. It is for thinking, and for knowing where to find the facts !" Albert Einstein. 😉 cheers Doug
RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)





Forum Posts: 1087
21st Sep 2017 21:42  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/33445

By the way Colin, don't forget to take the hard disc drives out of the old PC.
There are gadgets on the market theses days which connect them to another PC via a simple USB cable. Then you should be able to rescue all your old files and copy them to the new PC. Worked with my last PC update no problem. 👍😊
Cheers Doug 😎


"The brain is not intended to store facts. It is for thinking, and for knowing where to find the facts !" Albert Einstein. 😉 cheers Doug
rolfman2000
(Admiral)





Forum Posts: 102
21st Sep 2017 21:47  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/33446

I'll add Colin, that if you bring your broken PC to the lake, I can remove the hard drives, and copy all the files to either a DVD or a blu-ray data disc, which you can then keep, or transfer onto your new pc. All you need to do is ask mate. Cheers, Dave W 😊

colinhubbard
(Fleet Admiral!)





Forum Posts: 189
21st Sep 2017 22:00  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/33447

Sorry Dave.
Can't drive at moment on these pain killers.


Fair winds and calm waters,
COLIN.
colinhubbard
(Fleet Admiral!)





Forum Posts: 189
21st Sep 2017 22:03  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/33448

Already sorted thanks. I have a external disc reader unit, it takes old IDE, SSD, and a few others as well.


Fair winds and calm waters,
COLIN.
RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)





Forum Posts: 1087
21st Sep 2017 22:34  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/33451

Should have known😉 Well done that man 👍


"The brain is not intended to store facts. It is for thinking, and for knowing where to find the facts !" Albert Einstein. 😉 cheers Doug
colinhubbard
(Fleet Admiral!)





Forum Posts: 189
21st Sep 2017 22:55  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/33453

Need to keep up with these things as some of my stuff is on old drives that were on win3.1/XP/millennium/vista/NT./7/8.1/And now 10 sometimes a bit awkward moving between system's. But have a nephew who is a programming analyst and sorts it for me.
Wish I could do it but Microsoft changes aren't always easy to keep up with unless your loaded and cost doesn't matter. Cheers Colin


Fair winds and calm waters,
COLIN.