Cookies used in this website are gluten free, wheat free and dairy free. By using this website you agree to our use of cookies. More Info
Login Below
Join Us On Social Media!

Get The Model Boats App!
Apple App Store
Android app on Google Play

Help Support This Website
£
or enter custom amount

(Non Contributor)

Help support this free
website and donate.

£285 a year is needed to keep the website and apps online. Please consider donating £5 or more to help towards these fees.
All donations are securely managed through PayPal. Amounts donated are not published online.

Many thanks for your kind support.

Model Boats Website Team

Donation History
December 2017: 4 people
November 2017: 13 people
October 2017: 9 people
September 2017: 15 people
August 2017: 10 people
July 2017: 16 people
June 2017: 8 people
May 2017: 8 people
April 2017: 17 people

Unique Visitors This Month

Website Members

Terms and Conditions
Privacy Policy
Advertising
Contact

Model Boats Website
Active Users (16)
Login or Register
To Remove This Ad

Login or Register
To Remove This Ad
>> Home > Forum > Boat Specific Chit Chat! > Skimmer from Mobile Marine
Skimmer from Mobile Marine
(531 views)
octman
(Captain)

Forum Posts: 99
12th Jul 2017 13:29  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/31162

I have just purchased the hull and deck from Mobile Marine Models of their Skimmer air-boat. Any out there got any info regarding the build of this? Mainly, is there any internal construction to do, to accommodate the receiver and servo etc, and to give it a bit more rigidity? I have a motor on order following Dave M's advise, and I have some ideas regarding the mounting of this and the steering arrangement but just not sure about the insides.

Chris

Dave M
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 1428
12th Jul 2017 17:05  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/31164

Hi Chris
Mine just has a large flat ply plate over the bottom of the hull with the rx rudder servo and battery fixed in place. I use velcro for the rx and made mounting blocks for the servo. An aircraft snake connects to the rudder. The battery is in a small wooden compartment. My ESC is just below the motor mount hanging loose.
You do need to strengthen the motor mount - I used lots of wood inside to make it all less pliable - the plastic is not strong enough on its own. You need to build a plinth to attach the motor high enough to attach your prop. This need to be well braced to take the thrust from the prop. Mine moves slightly and if I were to make another I would make it stronger.
Mine required two small sheets of lead up front to keep it on the water at speed.
Please post details of your build
Dave

Attached Files - Click To View Large

Live long and prosper

Dave
octman
(Captain)

Forum Posts: 99
12th Jul 2017 17:55  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/31169

Hi Dave,
Thanks for that. Not started it yet, am half way through another build at the moment but there's nothing like planning ahead! Where about's along the hull do you suggest the C of G ought to be, or thereabouts? Looping the air boat is not on my agenda! What overall weight does yours work out at?
Sorry for all the questions.
Chris

cormorant
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 167
5th Dec 2017 08:47  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/36393

Hi Dave
Following your advice on how to fix the ply board in the hull, I decided to try silicone. It worked well and allowed me to gap fill where necessary.
I am now ready to proceed further and reading your advice to Chris about motor mounts, getting them strong enough seems most important.
Have you got any detailed pictures of your mount you could post please?
Regards
Steve

Dave M
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 1428
5th Dec 2017 11:00  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/36394

Hi Steve
Sorry, no I did not take photos of the build. If you have the Mobile Marine hull then I built a vertical wooden plate up through the top and strengthened with wood plates beneath the top moulding. If your rudder snake runs over the top make sure you allow for this when deciding how high to mount the motor/prop!!
This works but flexes when power is applied so if I did another I would mount the upright to the base and make a slot in the top to allow it to pass through. I would also provide support, below the top, to the upright behind and right up to the hull sides.
The force from the motor is truly awesome and plastic mouldings tend to (and do) flex.
I use two rudders as other members have found they work better than one.
I used 1/8" welding rods for the cage and did have some hard black netting at one time but have had no problems with just the frame. If I sailed in an area where the public had access then I would provide a cover. Just get the mount and prop sorted before you finalise as mine was too small!

Live long and prosper

Dave
cormorant
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 167
5th Dec 2017 15:18  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/36402

Thanks Dave. I'll let you know how I get on.
Steve

onetenor
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 185
5th Dec 2017 23:55  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/36427

As a lad I made literally flat plate boats from 1/8th balsa in a rectangle with a triangular front section. Real skimmer. Two little 1/16 th ply fins on top set at an angle and one underneath .A JETEX 50b on the back. Clear doped .Literally flew across the water with just the fin in it. I might do some again with Rocket motors. Link here if interested. https://www.modelrockets.co.uk/shop/https://www.modelrockets... 👍