Cookies used in this website are gluten free, wheat free and dairy free. By using this website you agree to our use of cookies. More Info
Login Below
Join Us On Social Media!

Get The Model Boats App!
Apple App Store
Android app on Google Play

Help Support This Website
£
or enter custom amount

(Non Contributor)

Help support this free
website and donate.

£285 a year is needed to keep the website and apps online. Please consider donating £5 or more to help towards these fees.
All donations are securely managed through PayPal. Amounts donated are not published online.

Many thanks for your kind support.

Model Boats Website Team

Donation History
December 2017: 4 people
November 2017: 13 people
October 2017: 9 people
September 2017: 15 people
August 2017: 10 people
July 2017: 16 people
June 2017: 8 people
May 2017: 8 people
April 2017: 17 people

Unique Visitors This Month

Website Members

Terms and Conditions
Privacy Policy
Advertising
Contact

Model Boats Website
Active Users (7)
Login or Register
To Remove This Ad

Login or Register
To Remove This Ad
>> Home > Forum > Boat Specific Chit Chat! > Billings Sea King in need of TLC
Billings Sea King in need of TLC
(835 views)
AllenA
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 70
23rd Jul 2017 14:28  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/31402

Walked into the boot sale this morning and saw this from 50yds. It's a Sea King needing some love and attention. She is 27.5" long with a 9" beam. Twin como motors, futaba 2ch. receiver and Etroniks Probe ESC. Along with battery and Ripmax Transmitter. I have nearly finished my Dolphin 16 and the Sea King will be the next project. I will add it to my Harbour but she may be in dry dock for a good time as i sort out the cosmetics. I've included the Dolphin in the photos. What a lucky boy! If anyone has photos or plans as to how she should look I would be grateful to see them.

Attached Files - Click To View Large

colinhubbard
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 191
23rd Jul 2017 20:52  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/31408

Wow, fabulous find. I'm as green as the boat with envy , enjoy.

Fair winds and calm waters,
COLIN.
AllenA
(Fleet Admiral!)

23rd Jul 2017 22:26  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/31411

Thanks Colin....and beyond belief I had her running this afternoon. Told you I am a Lucky boy.

AllenA
(Fleet Admiral!)

26th Jul 2017 09:57  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/31459

Getting to grips with the restoration. Need some help please. There are quite a few layers of varnish and these are hiding the original plank lines..... red lines. I guess the varnish has darkened over the years. Removing the varnish is difficult and I am looking for some guidance as to the best methods to try. I am worried about using paint stripper in case it delaminates the ply and might a heat gun loosen glue joints. Finally, should I leave the existing Sea King decal and Billings decal on the bow or can I buy new ones? All guidance welcome.

Dave M
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 1428
26th Jul 2017 10:17  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/31461

Hi AllenA
I see there appears to be some varnish inside the hull so perhaps you could try some stripper on a small area to see what happens. A heat gun is probably not wise with all the windows and painted cabin tops and hull.
Used sparingly the stripper should not affect the ply.
Unless the white hull paint is damaged I would leave well alone unless you can source a supply for the decals.
Dave

Live long and prosper

Dave
marky
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 173
26th Jul 2017 11:44  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/31462

If you can get an image of the decal your local print shop would be able to copy it onto waterslide paper for you ,if you have a copier of your own lots of art shops sell waterslide paper.

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 1126
26th Jul 2017 14:06  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/31468

Good tip, thanks Mark. 👍
Have just looked up suppliers here in Munich, 'Abziehbildpapier' ! 😉
2nd German national sport: building long words 😊
Cheers Doug 😎

Young at heart - slightly older in other places 😉 cheers Doug
AllenA
(Fleet Admiral!)

26th Jul 2017 17:47  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/31472

Thanks Marky. Hadn't thought of that. I have the waterslide paper which I used for some decals on my Grandson's RC car recently. Still think I will try to mask them if I need to paint the hull. Thanks again.

AllenA
(Fleet Admiral!)

26th Jul 2017 17:49  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/31473

Hi Dave. Thank you for the guidance. Tried some modern Nitromors which is not a patch on the old stuff but, on this occasion, exactly right for the job.

AllenA
(Fleet Admiral!)

26th Jul 2017 17:54  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/31474

Hi RNinMunich. This shows the shared origins of the our languages because, as you know, you are Flottenadmiral, pretty close, but in Mandarin Chinese you are 美国)海军五星上将. Now that's impressive.

marky
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 173
26th Jul 2017 18:58  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/31475

is that with boiled rice or egg fried

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

26th Jul 2017 19:18  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/31476

Flied lice! 😡

干杯 道格拉斯 😎

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

26th Jul 2017 19:28  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/31477

Thanks for the 'Like' 指挥官 Allen 👍

AllenA
(Fleet Admiral!)

21st Aug 2017 10:17  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/32232

Sea King now restored. Veneered the deck adding some fancy balsa work on the bow deck. Modern veneers are thin and difficult to manage. Shouldn't have varnished the white areas as so called clear varnish is not clear when painted on white. Overall, I'm pleased with her and learned a lot of lessons. Loved Glue'n Glaze for the windows. What a Godsend. Retained the original como motors added a fan cooled Chinese 320 esc and linked her to a new old stock Acoms Techniplus Alpha 27mhz transmitter and Acoms AR-201 Rx with futaba servo. Hull painted Hammerite smooth Gold, with white Plastikote. Managed to retain the original Billings sticker and name decals.If the bath is anything to go by she should plane quite easily. Might add some ropes and fenders but enjoying her clean looks at the moment.

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

21st Aug 2017 11:17  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/32241

Nice job Captain 👍👍
Although! I would adjust the alignment of the port engine if I was you! 😉
Cheers Doug 😎

AllenA
(Fleet Admiral!)

21st Aug 2017 12:34  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/32247

Hi Doug. I noticed the flexi coupling but didn't realise why until you said and then relooked at the photo. Re-alignment imperative and imminent. Thank you.

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

21st Aug 2017 12:52  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/32248

Good👍 Then you can put in a coupling to match the starboard one as well😉 I wonder if those 'springy things' work like a slipping clutch🤔
I'm scared of unwinding them in reverse as well😲 Don't trust 'em!
Cheers Doug 😎