Cookies used in this website are gluten free, wheat free and dairy free. By using this website you agree to our use of cookies. More Info
Login Below
Join Us On Social Media!

Get The Model Boats App!
Apple App Store
Android app on Google Play

Help Support This Website
£
or enter custom amount

(Non Contributor)

Help support this free
website and donate.

£285 a year is needed to keep the website and apps online. Please consider donating £5 or more to help towards these fees.
All donations are securely managed through PayPal. Amounts donated are not published online.

Many thanks for your kind support.

Model Boats Website Team

Donation History
November 2017: 8 people
October 2017: 9 people
September 2017: 15 people
August 2017: 10 people
July 2017: 16 people
June 2017: 8 people
May 2017: 8 people
April 2017: 23 people
March 2017: 3 people

Unique Visitors This Month

Website Members

Terms and Conditions
Privacy Policy
Advertising
Contact

Model Boats Website
Active Users (17)
Login or Register
To Remove This Ad
Login or Register
To Remove This Ad
>> Home > Forum > Boat Specific Chit Chat! > BRAVE / PERKASA MTB
BRAVE / PERKASA MTB
(182 views)
RHBaker
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 89
23rd Oct 2017 21:33  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/34909

Am scurrying around looking for a future project and have decided to attempt the Vosper Brave class MT/GB. Will use a hull that is about 37" long from MTBHULLS, as that is the size that fits our usual sailing venues best.
There are a number of members who have built either the Brave or the Perkasa derivative. Can anybody suggest the best electric drivetrain for this project? At this stage am thinking of triple screws, individually powered so getting a contra-rotating screw should be relatively easy. Would like to emulate the performance of the original if possible.
Appreciate any advise on this project and recommendations for a successful model.

Dave M
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 1399
24th Oct 2017 10:18  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/34918

An interesting subject. There are details at
http://www.bmpt.org.uk/other_boats_history/Brave%20class/pag... which may help your thinking.
I do believe the third motor was mainly for slow speed use but am not sure.
From a model point of view there will not be much space in a 37" hull for three motors and the necessary batteries and my 34" Perkassa runs at full scale speed on two speed 600 motors with a 9.6v 2800mA NiMh.
I have seen three prop versions but the centre prop is usually free wheeling is not driven.
If you really want performance then brushless and LiPo will give the best results and give plenty of room for 3 motors (28xx size), Escs and batteries.
I guess your next step is to source a suitable plan for your chosen variant.
I do hope you start a build blog

Live long and prosper

Dave
Wingcoax
(Sub-Lieutenant)

Forum Posts: 11
24th Oct 2017 10:26  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/34919

From memory the centre prop was used in harbour or for station keeping at sea. when required the "wing" engines were started.
I remember many years ago watching one leave Yarmouth harbour on the isle of Wight and the sound was incredible.

RHBaker
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 89
25th Oct 2017 15:41  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/34963

Thanks for the advice.
Now have several pointers towards a successful build, which should start next year. Will write a blog to describe progress eventually.