Cookies used in this website are gluten free, wheat free and dairy free. By using this website you agree to our use of cookies. More Info
Login Below
Join Us On Social Media!

Get The Model Boats App!
Apple App Store
Android app on Google Play

Help Support This Website
£
or enter custom amount

(Non Contributor)

Help support this free
website and donate.

£285 a year is needed to keep the website and apps online. Please consider donating £5 or more to help towards these fees.
All donations are securely managed through PayPal. Amounts donated are not published online.

Many thanks for your kind support.

Model Boats Website Team

Donation History
November 2017: 7 people
October 2017: 9 people
September 2017: 15 people
August 2017: 10 people
July 2017: 16 people
June 2017: 8 people
May 2017: 8 people
April 2017: 23 people
March 2017: 4 people

Unique Visitors This Month

Website Members

Terms and Conditions
Privacy Policy
Advertising
Contact

Model Boats Website
Active Users (5)
Login or Register
To Remove This Ad
Login or Register
To Remove This Ad
>> Home > Forum > Boat Specific Chit Chat! > PROBOAT RECALL 17
PROBOAT RECALL 17
(180 views)
Les-Forbes
(Captain)

Forum Posts: 58
24th Oct 2017 09:49  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/34914

This little brushless speed boat, with the supplied battery a 3S LiPo, has a run time of approx ten minutes. Could a stronger LiPo battery increase the run time.

Sorry. It's a Proboat Recoil 17.

Attached Files - Click To View Large

Dave M
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 1398
24th Oct 2017 09:59  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/34916

Hi Les
If you mean a higher capacity then the answer is yes. However there may not be room for a larger capacity battery and in a small model it may be too heavy for the hull.
Can you post some pics of the installation and advise the actual capacity (eg 2200mA)?

Live long and prosper

Dave
Les-Forbes
(Captain)

24th Oct 2017 10:27  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/34920

Yes Dave, you might be right. It is a small boat and a larger and possibly higher rated battery, may upset the dynamics.

Thanks for your help.

Attached Files - Click To View Large

Dave M
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 1398
24th Oct 2017 11:54  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/34923

Seeing the battery I would expect you could fit a larger capacity without lowering the waterline too much. If you can find the weight of the proposed battery try adding that amount of lead to the model to test. I'd use the existing battery plus a bit of lead etc.
I suspect the higher capacity will make for some interesting sailing so you may need your bike clips!
There could also be a heat problem so do check the motor esc after a short warp speed run.
Please post progress

Live long and prosper

Dave
boaty
(Commander)

Forum Posts: 28
25th Oct 2017 09:20  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/34944

Had a similar problem with a fast electric myself.
I put a bigger battery in which increased the running time but it did have detrimental effect on speed and😁 handling.

Quick way to check if a larger battery will affect performance is to weigh the existing battery, note weight then find out the weight of the bigger battery you intend to purchase.

Make up some ballast to the weight difference between the two batteries and put it in the boat with the original battery and see if there are any changes in performance as a result.

It will save you buying the larger battery if you feel the performance is less than what you expected.

Boaty

Dave Keech
Les-Forbes
(Captain)

25th Oct 2017 19:46  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/34979

Thanks Boaty. That's a good idea.