Cookies used in this website are gluten free, wheat free and dairy free. By using this website you agree to our use of cookies. More Info
Login Below
Join Us On Social Media!

Get The Model Boats App!
Apple App Store
Android app on Google Play

Help Support This Website
£
or enter custom amount

(Non Contributor)

Help support this free
website and donate.

£285 a year is needed to keep the website and apps online. Please consider donating £5 or more to help towards these fees.
All donations are securely managed through PayPal. Amounts donated are not published online.

Many thanks for your kind support.

Model Boats Website Team

Donation History
December 2017: 5 people
November 2017: 13 people
October 2017: 9 people
September 2017: 15 people
August 2017: 10 people
July 2017: 16 people
June 2017: 8 people
May 2017: 8 people
April 2017: 16 people

Unique Visitors This Month

Website Members

Terms and Conditions
Privacy Policy
Advertising
Contact

Model Boats Website
Active Users (6)
Login or Register
To Remove This Ad

Login or Register
To Remove This Ad
>> Home > Forum > Boat Specific Chit Chat! > Billing Boats - Junior Progress- J502
Billing Boats - Junior Progress- J502
(131 views)
Grandpa
(Captain)

Forum Posts: 54
12th Nov 2017 04:14  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/35682

I was given this small 18” kit called a Junior kit. Could be motorized, but was designed as a static model. Any suggestions? Motorize it or. Not?

Attached Files - Click To View Large

Dave M
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 1428
12th Nov 2017 09:42  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/35684

Yes you can. It's small so not much room to get access and the rigging needs to be removeable.
I have one that I converted almost 20 years ago and it sailed OK. Should be easier to fit out now as the rc gear, ESC and batteries are available in much smaller formats.
Should fit well in your small pond, I don't really have anywhere safe to sail mine, hence the disrepaiur.
I am attaching some photos of its present condition. Needs some restoration but hopefully shows what is possible.
I used a small maxxon motor and a large brass prop over scale but it worked. The acess is via the removable cabin and the battery fits in a tray towards the front. The rx and esc fitted above the rudder servo.
Have fun and please share your build.

Live long and prosper

Dave
Mikesds
(Seaman)

Forum Posts: 2
12th Nov 2017 11:57  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/35687

Hi, I have the same boat that I bought a couple of years ago as a uncompleted static model for my model railway. I was going to motorize it and put R//c gear into it but had no ideas as to how! after seeing this post I can now go ahead and do the modifications and will be able to use it on the small pond I am setting the railway around>😜

Grandpa
(Captain)

Forum Posts: 54
12th Nov 2017 13:55  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/35701

Yes I see what you mean about needing removable rigging. You opened the deck exactly where I figured would be best do the job. The new mini rc gear similar to the Footy hardware will fit nicely. A small brushed motor would be my choice too.

Did you use lead shot for ballast? Such in the attached photo?

Dave M
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 1428
13th Nov 2017 00:41  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/35730

I have a supply of sheet lead that I cut and use. Would look the same as the lead shot in your pic but you won't need much. I ballasted mine with all the gear in the hull before the deck was added, got it all working then fitted the deck etc. I left it slightly high on the waterline to allow for the top bits.
Modern rc gear is now easily available in small form and even the batteries can be sourced in small sizes. I used AA pencells in the model and it sailed for well over an hour, The ESC had a BEC, my own design so shrink wrapped to keep the weight down.

Live long and prosper

Dave