Cookies used in this website are gluten free, wheat free and dairy free. By using this website you agree to our use of cookies. More Info
Login Below
Join Us On Social Media!

Get The Model Boats App!
Apple App Store
Android app on Google Play

Help Support This Website
£
or enter custom amount

(Non Contributor)

Help support this free
website and donate.

£285 a year is needed to keep the website and apps online. Please consider donating £5 or more to help towards these fees.
All donations are securely managed through PayPal. Amounts donated are not published online.

Many thanks for your kind support.

Model Boats Website Team

Donation History
December 2017: 5 people
November 2017: 13 people
October 2017: 9 people
September 2017: 15 people
August 2017: 10 people
July 2017: 16 people
June 2017: 8 people
May 2017: 8 people
April 2017: 16 people

Unique Visitors This Month

Website Members

Terms and Conditions
Privacy Policy
Advertising
Contact

Model Boats Website
Active Users (10)
Login or Register
To Remove This Ad

Login or Register
To Remove This Ad
>> Home > Forum > Boat Specific Chit Chat! > Footy
Footy
(353 views)
Grandpa
(Captain)

Forum Posts: 54
25th Nov 2017 17:00  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/36121

This little sailboat is very sensitive on the water, if a gust comes up the boat will easily do a 360 spin. Is there something wrong with the keel/mast alignment?

If I were to sail in competitions there are rules, but just as a pleasure sailor, can the boat be altered
Just asking?

Attached Files - Click To View Large

Dave M
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 1428
25th Nov 2017 19:10  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/36122

If it's just for pleasure you can modify as much as you want.
If it's turning into wind chances are the mast is too far forward and looking at the pic it does seem to be tensioned towards the bow. If you slacken off the fore stay and tighten the rear stay this should move the mast tip towards the stern which should help. You could also try loosening the main sail at the boom to help it catch the wind.

Live long and prosper

Dave
Grandpa
(Captain)

26th Nov 2017 04:44  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/36127

The boat is in a relaxed position for the winter. Batteries are removed for the winter here in Canada. But I shall look more closely at it and make those adjustments nowto be ready for sailing after the ice goes out.

Would adding more material to the front edge of the keel hinder or help? Say 1 1/2” strip?

Dave M
(Fleet Admiral!)

26th Nov 2017 10:01  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/36138

I am not familiar with this particular model, was it built from a kit, published plan?
Adding lead to the keel will help to keep the boat upright in strong winds, but will add weight. I can understand the logic for your suggestion but really it's the keel support / mast position that looks wrong. Is the keel removable?

Live long and prosper

Dave
jarvo
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 501
26th Nov 2017 10:09  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/36139

Have had a look at the photo's, my thought is with Dave M, the mast is ahead of the keel balance, that is what is forcing the hull round under wind pressure, instead of a counterbalance, the bows are forced down bringing the keel weight even further back with the bows digging in even more.

Did you build this model??? if so is there room in the hull to move the keel and its supports close up to the mast??

Mark

Etherow Model Boat Club
Grandpa
(Captain)

26th Nov 2017 13:48  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/36145

I am getting good responses on this post. Thanks!

First, I did not build the boat, bought it second hand, only $50.

I did built the carrying case.

I am not sure if the keel is removable, but my guess is no as the keel to hull is seamless.

I have looked ar the http://footy.rcsailing.net

Grandpa
(Captain)

26th Nov 2017 13:55  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/36146

Like I was saying, I have reaerched plans, rules, slideshows on the http://footy.rcsailing.net

Only a couple designs have longer keels with bulbs. Another has a hull shaped like me large sailboat for weedy ponds. Like in this photo.

I am not in favour of adding a longer keel, but if I add 1” to the leading edge of the keel that will alter the balance ratio. Am I correct?

Dave M
(Fleet Admiral!)

26th Nov 2017 14:05  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/36147

I have looked at the site and found more links. If you look at
http://footy.rcsailing.net/articles/my152/footy_design.php
there are several different types shown, can you identify your model.
Is it a wooden or plastic hull?

Live long and prosper

Dave
Grandpa
(Captain)

26th Nov 2017 20:31  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/36159

I would say Dave, it best fits the 507 design and the rudder of a “Siren”. See my new photos to compare. The hull is fibreglass

Dave M
(Fleet Admiral!)

27th Nov 2017 14:26  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/36184

Ok
Is the weight and dimension the same as the Siren or 507? Looking at the rudder this looks like an after fit and does seem to be differently mounted (more vertical) than those on the website.
The keel looks flat on the bottom. Has it been chopped in half? This would make the model very sensitive, especially in a gust.
I'll wait for your response before adding more thoughts.

Live long and prosper

Dave
Grandpa
(Captain)

27th Nov 2017 15:33  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/36185

I hope I took enough photos...😉

Dave M
(Fleet Admiral!)

27th Nov 2017 17:04  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/36188

Photos are good. I don't like the look of that rudder. Looks like it is an original keel.
I need to know the dimensions of the hull, overall weight and keel weight to compare with the models on the website, please

Live long and prosper

Dave
Grandpa
(Captain)

27th Nov 2017 21:19  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/36196

Weight? Hmm how am I going get that? Take it to my butcher shop, maybe he will weigh it for me...as to length, width, height, I can do that now.
Length of hull only: 12”
Beam: 4 3/8” (113mm)
Keel weight? It is not removable.

jarvo
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 501
27th Nov 2017 22:48  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/36197

I agree with Dave, the hull etc is orange but the rudder is nicely finished wood with a blob of epoxy holding the rudder shaft???? also the keel weight has signs of blistering under the paint, has the weight been cut down????
The keel is not removable so the only way is to experiment by adding some extra weight, a couple of photos show a small hole in the balance weight, i wonder if the plug has been missing for some time and some of the lead shot has fallen out????
Dont know a lot about footies but an ounce of lead would make a critical difference

Mark

Etherow Model Boat Club
Dave M
(Fleet Admiral!)

28th Nov 2017 00:20  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/36200

Well the measurements are close to the Siren, which is a USA design. Weight should be about 480 grams of which 200 grams are ballast.
I use domestic scales but the kitchen may have a suitable type provided permission can be obtained. You could just rest the keel on the scales with the boat on its side to get an indication.
The rudder is clearly a mod and may not be in the original designed position. On such a short length boat this may be relatively critical. Can you see if there are any marks on the hull suggesting a previous fitting?
Are the sails the original that came with the model?

Live long and prosper

Dave