Cookies used in this website are gluten free, wheat free and dairy free. By using this website you agree to our use of cookies. More Info
Login Below
Join Us On Social Media!

Get The Model Boats App!
Apple App Store
Android app on Google Play

Help Support This Website
£
or enter custom amount

(Non Contributor)

Help support this free
website and donate.

£285 a year is needed to keep the website and apps online. Please consider donating £5 or more to help towards these fees.
All donations are securely managed through PayPal. Amounts donated are not published online.

Many thanks for your kind support.

Model Boats Website Team

Donation History
December 2017: 4 people
November 2017: 13 people
October 2017: 9 people
September 2017: 15 people
August 2017: 10 people
July 2017: 16 people
June 2017: 8 people
May 2017: 8 people
April 2017: 17 people

Unique Visitors This Month

Website Members

Terms and Conditions
Privacy Policy
Advertising
Contact

Model Boats Website
Active Users (12)
Login or Register
To Remove This Ad

Login or Register
To Remove This Ad
>> Home > Forum > Boat Specific Chit Chat! > Sea Queen Prop Shaft
Sea Queen Prop Shaft
(159 views)
AndyG009
(Sub-Lieutenant)

Forum Posts: 27
26th Nov 2017 07:45  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/36129

Am in process of building a Sea Queen, but not with supplied motor, will be fitting a brushless. Based on the motor and the voltage it is likely to be about 400 watts output, which is about 5 times the supplied output. My concern is the supplied prop shaft which is 18" long and 4 mm dia. is there likely to be 'whip' in a shaft of that length ?

Was considring a larger diameter, but that brings in the problem of obtaining propellors M4 and M5 are common. Or can one get prop shafts with centre bearings.

What have other people done ?

Or are my fears unfound, I remember the days when prop shafts were mild steel not stainless and bent easily.

jarvo
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 497
26th Nov 2017 09:06  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/36137

Is the boat built??? if so try moving the motor towards the stearn, lower the shaft angle, this allows the prop to deliver more thrust to propel the boat, the original boat was designed for an I/C motor with a big flywheel, so needed plenty of clearance from the keel.
Measure the distance you have moved the motor and push a dowel etc into the hole for the shaft, deduct the size for the U/J, you then have the size of the shortened shaft lenght

Mark

Etherow Model Boat Club
Dave M
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 1428
26th Nov 2017 10:47  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/36141

Hi Andy
What size is your Sea Queen? Is it from a kit or a published plan? What particular motor, ESC, battery and prop size are you intending to fit?
If the supplied prop shaft is true it should be OK. I suggest you test it by removing the inner shaft and rolling it on a piece of glass. Any bend will easily show and that shaft will be unusable for your purpose.
As Jarvo says you can perhaps shorten the length.
I have just looked on the Cornwall Model Boats site and they have 5mm prop shafts which may be a better quality than those you have and are supplied with the common prop threads.
Modern prop shafts are much better than were available a few years ago and yes I still have (unfitted) the original aluminium and mild steel prop shafts for my Aeorkits Solent 48" lifeboat and they were both bent!

Live long and prosper

Dave
AndyG009
(Sub-Lieutenant)

26th Nov 2017 16:08  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/36149

Boat is still pile of its parts.

Moving motor to rear, I thought that would increase the shaft angle, though it will shorten the length of the shaft?

The Sea Queen is I think 46", kit, overlander 5045, 6250 mAh 3S LiPo, Fusion hawk HV 60 esc (not sure but this might be better with 80 or 100), [expect power about 400W], prop 45 / 50 / 55 mm (not sure which to start with, might start with 45 mm). Been looking at a shaft from Deans models.

jarvo
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 497
26th Nov 2017 17:00  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/36150

Hi Andy, as the boat is in kit form, just get the keel sections, on the drawings they tell you to leave a gap to fit the prop shaft. re-adjust the angle of the gap to about 15 degrees, this will give you room for the motor mount and the length of the prop tube, give yourself enough clearance for the largest prop, 55 - 60 mm, with the motor you are looking at i would go for the 100amp esc not much extra but a lot more security, power wise. Prop shaft, have a look at the Raboesch ball raced shafts from Deans Marine, very good at higher revs.

Mark

Etherow Model Boat Club
AndyG009
(Sub-Lieutenant)

26th Nov 2017 17:14  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/36151

Hi Jarvo

The prop shaft that you mention is the type I was looking at, Deans Marine was at Mobile MarineModels yesterday, unfortunately they did not have the 18" prop shaft or would have bought.

Will look at changing angle though.

Thanks