Cookies used in this website are gluten free, wheat free and dairy free. By using this website you agree to our use of cookies. More Info
Login Below
Join Us On Social Media!

Get The Model Boats App!
Apple App Store
Android app on Google Play

Help Support This Website
£
or enter custom amount

(Non Contributor)

Help support this free
website and donate.

£285 a year is needed to keep the website and apps online. Please consider donating £5 or more to help towards these fees.
All donations are securely managed through PayPal. Amounts donated are not published online.

Many thanks for your kind support.

Model Boats Website Team

Donation History
October 2018: 5 people
September 2018: 13 people
August 2018: 5 people
July 2018: 8 people
June 2018: 8 people
May 2018: 7 people
April 2018: 24 people
March 2018: 13 people
February 2018: 8 people
January 2018: 9 people

Unique Visitors This Month

Website Members

Terms and Conditions
Privacy Policy
Advertising
Contact

Model Boats Website
Active Users (15)
Login or Register
To Remove This Ad

Login or Register
To Remove This Ad
>> Home > Forum > Boat Specific Chit Chat! > Sea Queen Water Line
Sea Queen Water Line
(721 views)
AndyG009
(Lieutenant)

Forum Posts: 59
18th Dec 2017 08:20  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/36699

Hi, does anyone know, the water line (static) on Sea Queen ?

canabus
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 124
18th Dec 2017 08:58  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/36701

Hi Andy
I looked on the original Aerokits plan which I have as a PDF copy and no Water Line marks on the plans.
Canabus

AndyG009
(Lieutenant)

Forum Posts: 59
18th Dec 2017 14:58  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/36708

That is the problem that I have - there is no indication on drawings.

Dave M
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 1527
19th Dec 2017 10:29  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/36715

Andy
The original model was produced in the early 1960s when IC engines were the norm and scale and RC for sailing models were in their early development stages. Supplies were limited and we made do with whatever was available. The plans were typically sheet on frame, probably plywood from an old tea chest and cascamite resin glue ( it was water proof and slow setting).

The designer would suggest suitable wood to use but many chose to use what they could acquire and as a result the finished models often finished up heavy or very heavy. Coupled with the large IC engine and flywheel and large heavy RC escarpments and big drycell batteries, it is not surprising that the hulls sat well in the water.

To the modellers of the period the waterline really didn't matter as we were after speed, control and endurance.

This may explain why the early plans did not show a waterline, as in my experience the draught varied greatly between models.

Today we have scale plans and supplies that allow us to build true replicas and all the important detail is a must for a true scale model.

Personally as an ex flyer I try and build lite, bricks tend to fall or sink, and my Sea Queen rides high in the water with a slight bow up. A 42xx brushless and LiPo add little weight and I have two 8oz lumps of lead in the stern section to achieve this.

If it looks right, sails well and you are happy, then enjoy your model.

Live long and prosper

Dave
sidley70
(Sub-Lieutenant)

Forum Posts: 24
19th Dec 2017 20:33  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/36723

Hi Dave
That was the information I also require. Many thanks Sidley70