Cookies used in this website are gluten free, wheat free and dairy free. By using this website you agree to our use of cookies. More Info
Login Below
Join Us On Social Media!

Get The Model Boats App!
Apple App Store
Android app on Google Play

Help Support This Website
£
or enter custom amount

(Non Contributor)

Help support this free
website and donate.

£285 a year is needed to keep the website and apps online. Please consider donating £5 or more to help towards these fees.
All donations are securely managed through PayPal. Amounts donated are not published online.

Many thanks for your kind support.

Model Boats Website Team

Donation History
October 2018: 5 people
September 2018: 13 people
August 2018: 5 people
July 2018: 8 people
June 2018: 8 people
May 2018: 7 people
April 2018: 24 people
March 2018: 13 people
February 2018: 8 people
January 2018: 9 people

Unique Visitors This Month

Website Members

Terms and Conditions
Privacy Policy
Advertising
Contact

Model Boats Website
Active Users (6)
Login or Register
To Remove This Ad

Login or Register
To Remove This Ad
>> Home > Forum > Boat Specific Chit Chat! > RE ads90's Vosper Firefloat
RE ads90's Vosper Firefloat
(1357 views)
RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 2333
23rd Jan 2018 06:36  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/37783

Hi ads, maybe you can find some info about her or a sister ship here,
http://www.rafboats.co.uk/
Happy browsing, cheers Doug 😎

Young at heart - slightly older in other places 😉 Cheers Doug
Grant me the Serenity to accept things I can't change, - the Courage to change things that I can,
and the Wisdom to know the difference!
Dave M
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 1527
23rd Jan 2018 10:27  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/37787

Hi ads
I have Terry Holtham's RAF Marine Craft Drawings book. Your model may well be the MK1 version, and if so never saw service as it was never accepted by the RAF.

The wheelhouse is clearly from a Sea Plane tender and many were converted to Firefloats.

I can find no kits marketed from the 1950's in my extensive magazine collection, so suspect this was a nice copy be a keen modeller from the 1960's.

Its a nice looking model and I am sure it attracts lots of attention whenever you manage to sail.

Live long and prosper

Dave
SelwynWilliams
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 40
23rd Jan 2018 10:32  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/37788

do you have any sea plane tender ones?

Dave M
(Fleet Admiral!)

23rd Jan 2018 10:34  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/37790

Hi Selwyn
The book has outline drawings so only really of use to identify the types. What exactly are you hoping to build?

Live long and prosper

Dave
ads90
(Commander)

Forum Posts: 38
23rd Jan 2018 12:40  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/37792

Many thanks Dave and all.
The reason I think it was a kit is because of the superstructure and deck detailing which you cannot see on my photos. All of the window frames have raised rivets around them and the deck has deck raised deck strips. As a modeller I know that these can be recreated but they look too perfectly spaced, etc. Many thanks for looking through your back catalogues Dave.
Terry was very helpful and sent me quite a bit of information - he is a font of knowledge.
My boat is well used at our pond at Eastrop, Basingstoke where I am the Secretary and Treasurer of the model boat club. Every couple of years I do have to give the hull a rub down and re-spray as being made from balsa and when running fast, the vibration does tend to crack the hull along the panel joint lines, but it is an easy fix and I try not to abuse it as it is precious to me.

boaty
(Admiral)

Forum Posts: 58
24th Jan 2018 17:29  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/37853

I have done a bit of research into the possibility of it being a Mark 1 fire float but have not as yet come up with anything.

I have a theory about this boat as when the Mark 2 fire floats were "disposed of" around 1958 there is very little detail of what became of them.

Could one or both of them have undergone some modifications with the extension to the cabins etc but it was never recorded, ie not on historical records of R.A.F launches.

Boaty😁

Dave Keech
ads90
(Commander)

24th Jan 2018 21:13  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/37865

Dave
There were only 2 Mk 2 Firefloats built, No.'s 93 and 94 and they had a very different hull at the stern to what my model has. The superstructure could have been modified quite easily but certainly not the hull, so I am certain that it is not one of them. The stern is very reminiscent of the 'Fairmile' design but I have looked at these but nowt turned up. The number on the side of mine '1104' is I believe related to the Marine Craft Unit 1104 at Bridlington which possibly also may have been an ASR.

Dave M
(Fleet Admiral!)

25th Jan 2018 10:05  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/37882

Hi ads
Yes you are correct in that only the Mark2 was accepted by the RAF and were Nos 93 and 94.
The Mk1 was the initial design but was not considered suitable for purpose hence the modification to the MK2.

I do believe your model was built by a keen modeller who took or built a hull and placed his own top details based on the Crash Tender and similar designs from the period.

I did find reference to Bridlington MCU and this corresponds with the number on your model
https://www.pprune.org/archive/index.php/t-312866.html
They were active in 1969 and used Pinnace which does rather tie in with the front wheelhouse of your model.
I have a book somewhere that lists all the MCU details and when I find it I will see what I can find.

Live long and prosper

Dave
boaty
(Admiral)

Forum Posts: 58
25th Jan 2018 10:06  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/37883

Thanks for your reply and its very interesting.
Was your model based on an advanced Fire Float that little was known about outside of military circles?

Bridlington is only a short distance from RAF Elvington which was a bomber base in WW2. In the 1950s it became a V Bomber base and logically it would need to have improved marine rescue facilities to deal with aircraft that had ditched in the North Sea.

It could be that your boat was built to fulfil this role and there may be a possibility that other Fire Floats may have been constructed for similar uses but not disclosed. 😁😁😁.

Boaty

Dave Keech
nasraf
(Commander)

Forum Posts: 71
4th Jul 2018 20:45  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/43439

It is a little while ago since this subject was raised but I came across it to day whilst passing my time looking through this continuingly interesting web site, but for what it is worth I will outline a bit I know about the RAF marine branch.

I was one of the last National Service RAF enlisted men and started my service 5 th April 1960. I was then trained as an Air Wireless Fitter at Yatesbury and on passing the reqired tests was posted to RAF Mountbatten in May 1961, this was sited on the coastline of Plymouth Sound and the marine craft were moored on the Cattewater.

Not long before I got there, the main base for the RAF Marine activities was on the I. of W. at Calshot but the decision had been made, due to the great contraction of the marine arm, as helicopters had taken over the rescue task and the loss in interest in aircraft operating from water, the MU ( Maintenance Unit ) was moved to the operational station at Plymouth.

Mountbatten was quite busy with various activities and it was the H.Q. of Coastal Command the other activities was in providing targets for Shackelton training, dingy drill for aircrew and survival training for aircrew on Dartmoor.

All the useful marine craft were moved to Plymouth and I would imagine things like Fire Floats would have been disposed of prior to the move. All that was at Mountbatten were RTTL's of various standards, RSL's and Pinnance's. The only strange item was an old Rescue Launch which was powered by 3 Napier Lion engines, all the later RTTLs had Rolls Royce Merlin derivatives.

This was the only large boat that I ever had a fast ride on, but unfortunately we were only a few miles out of the Sound when one of the engines failed and we had to limp home. I never had a fast trip on a RTTL. I used to have lots of trips outside the breakwater on RSL's on RAF crew dingy drill, when the pilot under training had to jump off the boat with his uninflated dingy and when the RSL made as many waves as possible he had to inflate it and climb in whilst the launch continued to rough the sea up as much as possible. He then stayed in his dingy for about 45 minutes which was not very pleasant in winter.
It was for us lesser mortals an enjoyable spectator sport to see commissioned officers undergoing sme discomfort.

I think that all the odd marine equipment was lost when Calshot closed.

ads90
(Commander)

25th Jul 2018 21:08  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/44193

Many thanks for your 'memoirs' of your life as an RAF National Serviceman - I bet you were glad you weren't the trainee pilot !

Alan

NPJ
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 140
26th Jul 2018 21:10  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/44236

Is this the right p[lace for..........................

So this is what I have…………….

A good size to get my hands in!
I assume it is a ‘Tender’ of some sort.

What is best to do with the ‘outline’ so it meets some sort of classification?

At 44inches long and 14 inches wide would that be 1/12 scale?

Should the twin props both turn the same way (left)?

Is it worth running motors separately for greater control?

Two blade prop or three?

Is there someone there with all the answers?

Well that will do for a start……………..

NPJ

Attached Files - Click To View Large

NPJ
RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

26th Jul 2018 21:39  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/44237

Hi Neil,
Looks like a somewhat simplified Range Safety Launch to me, the 43ft version from 1955 - , but the number is dead wrong.
http://www.rafboats.co.uk/rsl43.html
Scale between around 11 - 12 to 1.
LoA - 11.7
Beam - 11.1!
Twin props should ALWAYS turn in opposite directions to counteract the so called prop walk which otherwise shifts the stern sideways in the direction the props are turning - seen from behind when the boat is moving forward. the jury is still out on whether they should turn outwards or inwards; with respect to the top of the prop when going forwards and seen from behind.
Separate motor control (so called 'Tank Steering') is great for slow speed manoeuvrability and very sharp turns at speed (to be used with caution!), but is not easy and needs a lot of practice!
A twin ESC / Rudder Mixer is easier😉
For scale; 3 blade props.
Suggest you start a new thread for this.

Ciao, Doug 😎

Grant me the Serenity to accept things I can't change, - the Courage to change things that I can,
NPJ
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 140
26th Jul 2018 21:51  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/44239

That was quick.............Many thanks for that.

Will do as you suggest and start a new thread.

Yes it needs to be easy Doug!
NPJ.

NPJ
RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

26th Jul 2018 21:58  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/44240

Your answer even quicker 😲
OK, if you don't want to practice twin motor control using two sticks, like tank driver, then I suggest the Action Electronics mixer board (as discussed during your aborted tug conversion🤔). You'll probably need the 20A version with those motors.
Cheers, Doug 😎

Attached Files - Click To View Large

Westquay
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 764
27th Jul 2018 17:30  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/44280

The real boats, perhaps oddly, all used same direction rotation.
Martin