Cookies used in this website are gluten free, wheat free and dairy free. By using this website you agree to our use of cookies. More Info
Login Below
Join Us On Social Media!

Get The Model Boats App!
Apple App Store
Android app on Google Play

Help Support This Website
£
or enter custom amount

(Non Contributor)

Help support this free
website and donate.

£285 a year is needed to keep the website and apps online. Please consider donating £5 or more to help towards these fees.
All donations are securely managed through PayPal. Amounts donated are not published online.

Many thanks for your kind support.

Model Boats Website Team

Donation History
August 2018: 5 people
July 2018: 8 people
June 2018: 8 people
May 2018: 7 people
April 2018: 24 people
March 2018: 13 people
February 2018: 8 people
January 2018: 25 people
December 2017: 2 people

Unique Visitors This Month

Website Members

Terms and Conditions
Privacy Policy
Advertising
Contact

Model Boats Website
Active Users (7)
Login or Register
To Remove This Ad

Login or Register
To Remove This Ad
>> Home > Forum > Boat Specific Chit Chat! > Fairmile D 1/24 Scale Build
Fairmile D 1/24 Scale Build
(384 views)
andyhynes
(Sub-Lieutenant)

Forum Posts: 5
3rd Mar 2018 16:13  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/39371

At this moment in time. I am completing a TID Tug boat.
My next project is a Fairmile D MTB at 1/24 scale. I intend to run 4 props using brushed motors and two ESCs.

I am looking for reasonable performance from brushed motors probably Johnson 600 motors running 3 blade 40mm props.

Can anyone give me advice regards this setup or can recommend an alternative that does not involve to much expense.

Smiffy
(Sub-Lieutenant)

Forum Posts: 15
9th Mar 2018 19:45  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/39687

Hi Andy
I am interested to read about your plans for a dog boat as I am thinking of doing the same (when my Thames steam launch is eventually finished....!). One reason that I am considering this is that my headmaster, when I was at Maidenhead Grammar School in the 1960's, was a former skipper of MGB 658 and I am lucky enough have autographed copies of two of his books. "Motor Gunboat 658" is a fascinating read if you haven't already come across it, as is "Dog Boats at War" with plenty of useful information and photographs - just two of the books by Len Reynolds DSC. (He rose from Navigating Officer to Captain during the war in the Mediterranean theatre and served on MGB 658 from its commissioning in 1943 to the war's end.) Apologies by the way if you already know all this!
Two questions if you don't mind - are you going to do a complete scratchbuild from plans or complete a fibreglass hull, and which/whose plans are you using? This may help my own decisions later on. I have seen that there are plenty of the appropriate weapons in 1/24th scale on the Deans website which should make life easier with the fiddly bits!
Very best wishes with the build.
Smiffy

Smiffy
(Sub-Lieutenant)

Forum Posts: 15
16th Mar 2018 11:09  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/39977

Further to the above post I have just received this book which I bought on Ebay - superb scale detail of lots of dog boats including colour references etc and MGB 658 is one of the boats featured. Also apologies to the memory of L.C. Reynolds (‘Elsie’ as we knew him at school, and I bet he knew it too!) as I forgot to mention his OBE.
Smiffy

Attached Files - Click To View Large

reilly4
(Admiral)

Forum Posts: 31
16th Mar 2018 14:47  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/39985

I have scratch-built a Fairmile D in 1/24 scale. if you look through my posts/videos you will see it. I used the Lambert-Ross Allied Coastal Forces book for the plan that I scaled up. Perhaps I should enter it in my boat harbour. Anatomy of a Ship is also a good source of information. I built mine from Balsawood/Pine and fibreglassed it. Attached are a few photos. Watch the videos. They may inspire you. I have previously posted these links under videos.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3KotucrlzE&t=20s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ny718cnD6sQ&t=166s

Attached Files - Click To View Large