Cookies used in this website are gluten free, wheat free and dairy free. By using this website you agree to our use of cookies. More Info
Login Below
Join Us On Social Media!

Get The Model Boats App!
Apple App Store
Android app on Google Play

Help Support This Website
£
or enter custom amount

(Non Contributor)

Help support this free
website and donate.

£285 a year is needed to keep the website and apps online. Please consider donating £5 or more to help towards these fees.
All donations are securely managed through PayPal. Amounts donated are not published online.

Many thanks for your kind support.

Model Boats Website Team

Donation History
June 2018: 5 people
May 2018: 7 people
April 2018: 24 people
March 2018: 13 people
February 2018: 8 people
January 2018: 25 people
December 2017: 7 people
November 2017: 11 people

Unique Visitors This Month

Website Members

Terms and Conditions
Privacy Policy
Advertising
Contact

Model Boats Website
Active Users (5)
Login or Register
To Remove This Ad

Login or Register
To Remove This Ad
>> Home > Forum > Boat Specific Chit Chat! > Calling Devon boaters. Help!
Calling Devon boaters. Help!
(935 views)
wunwinglo
(Lieutenant)

Forum Posts: 18
7th Mar 2018 13:12  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/39544

My 95 year old uncle is a former MTB captain living in a care home in Exmouth. His brother, my late father, built a nice Vosper MTB model in the fifties that has not run since 1962. I have recently restored, upgraded and recommissioned this model and I would really like to show my uncle her running on a lake.

Unfortunately, the lake at Exmouth has been filled in recently and the nearest alternative that I can find on the net is about 45 miles away which is too far for him to travel.

The model is now electric and so is quiet, about 40 inches long and a fairly hot performer at full chat. If you are active in this area, I would be most grateful to be informed of any suitable closer waters and the requirements to access it.

Thanks guys.

Attached Files - Click To View Large

jarvo
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 550
8th Mar 2018 07:10  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/39584

Hi mate, I am not in your area but have sailed with the Weymouth club on holiday, they sail on a superb water at the back of the harbour, great access from the carpark, right to the water's edge.
They are in the club list, give them a ring to sort it out

Mark

Etherow Model Boat Club
wunwinglo
(Lieutenant)

8th Mar 2018 10:33  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/39600

Hi Jarvo,

Thanks for that. It certainly sounds like a splendid water but it is too far for my uncle to travel.

MouldBuilder
(Commander)

Forum Posts: 22
8th Mar 2018 20:49  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/39635

Hi.
This might be a little too far as well. I live in Paignton. The local model club used to sail in the park behind Goodrington beach. There is a large pedal boat lake there as well which is not used at this time of the year.
Hope you find somewhere suitable.

wunwinglo
(Lieutenant)

8th Mar 2018 21:02  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/39639

Thanks Mouldbuilder, Sounds good. I will check it out.

Keystone
(Chief Petty Officer)

Forum Posts: 8
10th Mar 2018 10:25  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/39708

If you need any help getting your uncle to the Paignton water give me a shout. I have an electric disabled scooter that I can get to the park. E-Mail info@harmomygambia.org.uk

wunwinglo
(Lieutenant)

10th Mar 2018 20:55  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/39729

Hi Keystone,

Thank you so much for a very generous and thoughtful offer. I will certainly take this up if my uncle feels he needs it. I do not expect to do this until the weather is warmer and more reliable. Say April/May. Are you a member of the Paignton Club? I have unsuccessfully tried to find contact details for the Club to let them know what I want to do rather than just pitch up.

Keystone
(Chief Petty Officer)

11th Mar 2018 10:00  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/39740

Hi wunwinglo,
The water is plenty big enough for your uncles boat and there is about 300 metres to walk from the car park.
If you decide to do this make it as early as possible in the year as during the summer the main water is used for commercial swan boats and bumper boats. The operators do not object to models being on the water when they are not operating but it is very difficult when they have customers.
I have not been able to contact any club members and I assume that the club does not exist any more. I am interested in restarting the club if this is possible but it may take some time.
Please use my e-mail if you wish to reply as I am having problems at the moment receiving e-mail from the forum.
info@harmonygambia.org.uk will always get to me.
Regards,
Peter

wunwinglo
(Lieutenant)

2nd Apr 2018 21:15  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/40689

Hi Keystone,

We will be visiting the lake in the morning on Saturday, 28th April.Will there be pedalo problems at that time?

The MTB has now passed her trials with flying colours - see photos. Sound system by Action Electronics is great!

Charlie😆

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 1668
2nd Apr 2018 23:26  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/40697

Looks good👍 Did you fit spray rails ??

Young at heart - slightly older in other places 😉 cheers Doug
Grant me the Serenity to accept things I can't change,
the Courage to change things that I can, and
the Wisdom to know the difference!
Keystone
(Chief Petty Officer)

3rd Apr 2018 08:00  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/40700

I will check the dates with the pedlo people and let you know. Would the trip be morning or afternoon?
I can bring the scooter if required.
Info@harmonygambia.org.uk is the e-mail address that will get to me quicker than useing the forum.

dragon
(Captain)

Forum Posts: 98
3rd Apr 2018 08:10  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/40701

Looks very good I hope your Uncle enjoys the day.
Doug don't think it matters about spray rails as long as they have a good day.

My the Force be with you

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

3rd Apr 2018 09:57  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/40704

Agreed 👍 I just wondered😉
Hope all goes well and the weather is kind, Happy Sailing, Doug 😎

wunwinglo
(Lieutenant)

3rd Apr 2018 17:26  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/40716

Thanks for the kind thoughts, guys. I will let you know how it goes. There will be a rum tot! The hull does have the original spray rails, but they clearly need development which may or not be done by the 28th.

Keystone - we will be thereabout from 0930 until about 1100, depending on the weather. Is the park open in the evening so we could have a recce the night before?

wunwinglo
(Lieutenant)

3rd Apr 2018 17:28  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/40717

RNinMunich ,

Any suggestions re spray rails?

Charlie

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

3rd Apr 2018 17:51  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/40719

Hi, I would be inclined to fit one just above the waterline, 1/8 or 3/16 square.
This is to reduce the risk of swamping the boat at high speed, esp. in a tight turn 😲
There are some excellent tips on the site about how to retrofit them.
Attached some pics and notes I downloaded from Dave_M's contribution.
May need to do this to my Sea Scout, depending on the sea-trial😉

Cheers Doug 😎

Keystone
(Chief Petty Officer)

11th Apr 2018 16:48  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/40995

Hi Charlie,
Further to my last message I have been banging my head against the brick wall called Torbay Council. It seems that the pool in Youngs Park Goodrington is not "approved" for any kind of model boat. This seems strange as the Torbay Model Club sailed there for many years.
All is not lost as the Kings Pool is approved by our Burghers for both sail and electric powered boats. This is simple to get to and parking is on the seafront or at the rugby club. If you put "Kings Drive" into your satnav you park at the seaward end.
The lake will give you a striaght run of at least 80 yards and if there is any problem it is simple to recover a stuck boat.
Contact me on info@harmonygambia.org.uk by e-mail or 01803 267943 and we can get together on this.
Regards,
Peter
PS The park is open 24 hrs and not even fenced.

onetenor
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 245
12th Apr 2018 01:21  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/41015

I don't know if it is the same at Kings Pool but in Liverpool the parks are supposedly closed 1 hr after sunset although you can access them 24hrs.First wife and I went fishing in Newsham Park one night and got chased off by the Police despite the fact it was custom and practise to night fish on the model pond. Now being fished by Cormorants. I wonder if the model boaters get bothered by them.👍

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

12th Apr 2018 01:31  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/41016

Aha! So that's where Steve goes fishing 😁

We're so far from the sea here in Munich that we are not troubled by Cormorants, Sea Gulls etc.
We do though share the lake with swans, geese and ducks, occasionally a few moorhens, but we have come to an agreement:
They don't peck our boats and we don't drive up their calabooses!! 😲

Fishing were you!? ... I'll believe you - thousands wouldn't 😉

wunwinglo
(Lieutenant)

12th Apr 2018 18:28  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/41028

Thanks Keystone, that's a great help. Hopefully, we will not strand! However, I will keep your contact details handy.

Keystone
(Chief Petty Officer)

13th Apr 2018 22:19  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/41062

The Kings Pond is in Torquay right down by the sea. The depth should be good for your uncle's boat, about 12 inches, but not good for and decent sailing yacht.
Keep in touch,
Peter