Cookies used in this website are gluten free, wheat free and dairy free. By using this website you agree to our use of cookies. More Info
Login Below
Join Us On Social Media!

Get The Model Boats App!
Apple App Store
Android app on Google Play

Help Support This Website
£
or enter custom amount

(Non Contributor)

Help support this free
website and donate.

£285 a year is needed to keep the website and apps online. Please consider donating £5 or more to help towards these fees.
All donations are securely managed through PayPal. Amounts donated are not published online.

Many thanks for your kind support.

Model Boats Website Team

Donation History
August 2018: 3 people
July 2018: 8 people
June 2018: 8 people
May 2018: 7 people
April 2018: 24 people
March 2018: 13 people
February 2018: 8 people
January 2018: 25 people
December 2017: 4 people

Unique Visitors This Month

Website Members

Terms and Conditions
Privacy Policy
Advertising
Contact

Model Boats Website
Active Users (20)
Login or Register
To Remove This Ad

Login or Register
To Remove This Ad
>> Home > Forum > Boat Specific Chit Chat! > Bismarck paint scheme (for Rookysailor ;-)
Bismarck paint scheme (for Rookysailor ;-)
(764 views)
RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 2064
25th Mar 2018 15:37  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/40385

Hi Peter, have found some more pics that indicate a simple black and white camo pattern applied March 1941, including some rare colour photos😊
Pics 1 & 2; painting at Kiel.
Pic 3; canal near Kiel March 1941,
Pic 4; Oslo 1941 before heading into the Atlantic and Denmark Straight,
Pic 5; down at the bow after hits from Prince of Wales,
Pic 6; as built Summer 1940 before commissioning.
Pic 7; alleged paint scheme for Unternehmen Rheinübung, May 1941.
Stripes are gone but false bow wave and stern are still there. Can't find official archive corroboration of this so like I said 'You pays yer money and yer takes ya choice'.
Think I'll do mine this way and leave the stripes on as in the photo near Oslo. Happy painting, cheers Doug 😎

Attached Files - Click To View Large

Young at heart - slightly older in other places 😉 cheers Doug
Grant me the Serenity to accept things I can't change,
the Courage to change things that I can, and
the Wisdom to know the difference!
Rookysailor
(Lieutenant)

Forum Posts: 85
25th Mar 2018 22:24  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/40401

Fantastic photo's Doug, never seen these before. The one without the camo but with the bow & stern waves is an option in the trumpeter paint options, which I like best. Very quiet show at Heywood but got a decaperm 6v for £10 and a Marcle card model of Tirpitz @ 1/200 for ....£10, a bargain.👍
many thanks, Peter

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

25th Mar 2018 23:11  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/40403

Go for it Peter, 👍 Glad the pics were useful, even if some seem contradictory😲. I think you are probably right to go without the stripes, somehow they seem to have disappeared between Oslo and the Denmark Straight!? Must check what Revell recommend in my kit. If I don't report back within a week please send a search party / rescue team to my cellar 😁
Ten quid for 6V Decaperm!! Shucks, I have one with gearbox, took it out of my Sea Scout, had hoped it was worth a bit more 🤔
1/200 card model!! - You're a better man than I Gungadin!!
Sounds like a sticky wicket to me.😁
Whatever floats your boat, cheers Doug 😎
PS: I guess you'll be putting the Swastikas on. I can't, could get arrested if I do 🤔 they're not included in the Revell kit.

Rookysailor
(Lieutenant)

25th Mar 2018 23:55  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/40408

Ready with the search party Doug🤓 will hold off for one week.....
the decaperm is the one with gearbox, going for £50 to £60 on Ebay at the moment, bought the card model for my old age!!!
not my scene really, thought at that price would be able to double it when selling it.😉
Yes! rather silly about the swastikas when you can put the rising sun on ships flags and red sun on planes, both Germany and Austria are worse than the rest of the world regarding the Hakenkreuz, it has it's beginnings in Sanskrit many years ago
so nothing new there😁
regards, Peter

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

26th Mar 2018 00:06  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/40409

Genau! Absolutely spot on👍 Like a man who knows his history! 😉
A H apparently discovered it and made his flag design while writing 'Mein Kampf' in Augsburg jail. Until very recently it was also illegal here to possess this book! 🤔
Interesting info on the Decaperm, thanks 👍 Don't know what else to do with it😲
'Immer ein Handbreite Wasser unter deinem Kiel'! Grüß Doug 😎

Rookysailor
(Lieutenant)

26th Mar 2018 00:32  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/40410

Where do you get these great phrases from Doug? Many years ago when I was in Munich had some time so caught a train to Landsberg to see the prison, it is Landsberg I think, the guards didn't like me having a mooch around, very odd!
My keyboard won't let me have an umlaut or such, very difficult when you need to send an email to German/Austrian friends.
Regards, Peter🤔

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

26th Mar 2018 01:01  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/40411

Mornin' Peter,
That's the motto /greeting of model boaters here!😁 kinda makes sense.
Instead of Umlauts (or diphthongs!) ae = ä, ue = ü, oe = ö are also allowed under the new 'Rechtschreibung' 😉
One way you can use the real Umlauts with an English keyboard is to-
Open a new Winword (doc) file and use Insert - Symbol to create a file of the Umlauts which you can then copy into any mail of other text doc.
Etwas umständlich aber geht 👍
You can also load a Language Pack to Windows to change the keyboard; but then you have to remember what's where😲 😡 E.g. amongst others z and Y will be swapped so you have a QWERTZ keyboard instead of QWERTY 🤔
Landsberg is a nice town, picturesque, good restaurants and no hectic good for an 'Ausflug' 😊
When were you in Munich? (aka münchen😉)
Ciao Doug 😎

(Schlaflos in München!)

Rookysailor
(Lieutenant)

26th Mar 2018 18:59  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/40433

Greetings Doug, I have a phrase for you " In your book, 'problem is just a misspelling of challenge".
The business of changing the keyboard is to tech for me. I mentioned Landsberg because you put A H wrote his book in Augsburg jail, easily mistaken. It has been some 10 years since was in Munich, had friends there, and used to visit 5 or 6 times a year, but sadly all passed away now,
they were either navy or army friends, so were getting on in years when I first met them, but some great stories were told,
one friend from the Tirpitz, one from the channel dash (schnellboot) one obersturtmbahnführer, in Lah. they were sailors/soldiers nothing more.....😤
cheers Peter

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

26th Mar 2018 19:53  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/40438

Evenin' Peter, of course you are right with Landsberg 😲 as the locals would say 'ein Dreckfuhler'! 😉
Funny, I also met a lot of ex KM and some ex RN guys about 30 years ago here. Especially when I took my HMS Hotspur H class destroyer to the Ostpark Lake.
Several old guys came up to me and started talking about their days on Torpedobootzerstörer! Several happy hours and Helles were spent that way. Sadly also all disappeared now. Servus, Doug 😎

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

26th Mar 2018 20:51  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/40441

PS: you were right again 👍
My 'book' is full of 'solutions waiting for the right challenges to turn up' 😉

Was in AH's old apartment in Munich about 12 years ago. Didn't want to be as it's now a Polizeistelle 😲
I was driving home in a new car I'd just collected from the other side of town and the damn thing ran out of juice right on their doorstep, so I had to go in to explain why a little red Yaris was in their patrol car space 😲 Most 'embrassing' 😡

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

26th Mar 2018 21:03  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/40444

More Bismarck info,
Pic : paint schemes from a build blog of the Amati 1/200 kit,
Link to Bundesarchiv Search for Bismarck pics-
http://www.bild.bundesarchiv.de/cross-search/search/_1522094...
Interesting ones are at the end during the battle and just before.
Seems the crew were very busy painting while in Norway 😉
Cheers Doug 😎

Attached Files - Click To View Large

onetenor
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 333
27th Mar 2018 02:29  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/40457

👍Swastika not even allowed for scale accuracy Doug? in Italian that phrase is Possiate avera sempre un valore della mani di acqua sotto la vostra chiglia. I think that's right cause despite my name my Italian is rubbish. It actually starts with may the wind always fill your sails and there be a hands width etc etc. My surname is Mantova which is the Italian spelling of Mantua. A city in NE Italy and is where Romeo spent his exile for killing Tybalt. Also where the opera Rigoletto is set with the Naughty Duke of Mantua causing Rigoletto to kill his own daughter. A role I have portrayed a couple of times. Very best regards Signor.👍😊😉

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

27th Mar 2018 07:26  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/40463

Buongiorno OT, Nope not even for scale models I believe, no model kit made in Germany is sold here with swastika, just a blank white circle where it should be. I haven't tried pushing my luck yet though!

Have driven by Mantova many times, on the way to Florence, coast of Tuscany or Cinque Terre. Lovely country👍
We've always said we must spend a day or so in Mantova, must be a beautiful city. One day😉
BTW: my name is Bell, but I'm not a campanologist 😁