Cookies used in this website are gluten free, wheat free and dairy free. By using this website you agree to our use of cookies. More Info
Login Below
Join Us On Social Media!

Get The Model Boats App!
Apple App Store
Android app on Google Play

Help Support This Website
£
or enter custom amount

(Non Contributor)

Help support this free
website and donate.

£285 a year is needed to keep the website and apps online. Please consider donating £5 or more to help towards these fees.
All donations are securely managed through PayPal. Amounts donated are not published online.

Many thanks for your kind support.

Model Boats Website Team

Donation History
July 2018: 5 people
June 2018: 8 people
May 2018: 7 people
April 2018: 24 people
March 2018: 13 people
February 2018: 8 people
January 2018: 25 people
December 2017: 7 people
November 2017: 3 people

Unique Visitors This Month

Website Members

Terms and Conditions
Privacy Policy
Advertising
Contact

Model Boats Website
Active Users (18)
Login or Register
To Remove This Ad

Login or Register
To Remove This Ad
>> Home > Forum > Boat Specific Chit Chat! > Hard chine / multi chine sailing yacht
Hard chine / multi chine sailing yacht
(628 views)
SwordsmanDreamer
(Seaman)

Forum Posts: 2
31st Mar 2018 22:49  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/40636

Hello all

I'm not sure if this would be the correct place to ask this question, but here goes:

I would like to build a sailing yacht (model). I think that some kind of hard chine / double chine design would be best, as that would be simpler than carvel / diagonal / strip planked etc. Would anybody like to recommend a design for which the plans are available ? I have noticed something called the Star 45, then there are some of the Vic Smeed designs, and some on the Sarik website, in particular a yellow job with a cabin, cant remember the name of it at present. This would be for fun, i dont have any interest in racing, so partly i want to build something and partly want to sail something. Thanks. Maybe 30 inches up to a max of 48 ?

Haverlock
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 482
2nd Apr 2018 02:11  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/40675

one possibility is the plane jane
http://www.traplet.com.au/mm-823-plane-jane gives you an idea of how it looks

https://www.sarikhobbies.com/product/mm-823-plane-jane/

Where to get the plans
its 36 inches long and intended for free running using a vain gear BUT with a little skull sweat you could convert to radio

"that's not a bug its just an undocumented creature."

Sir Terence David John "Terry" Pratchett, OBE (28 April 1948 - 12 March 2015)
Mzee
(Chief Petty Officer)

Forum Posts: 11
3rd Apr 2018 09:47  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/40702

You might try to obtain a book from long time ago (1950), "Build Yourself a Model Yacht" by WJ Daniels and HB Tucker in which there are plans for a 30" Sharpie and a36" Restricted Class. I have made three Sharpie models recently - all converted to radio control. The last two I made by the stitch-an-glue method having taken panel templates from the original built-as-per-plan model. Not competitive but a fun model in all types of weather!

Attached Files - Click To View Large

KenThompson
(Lieutenant)

Forum Posts: 47
3rd Apr 2018 13:17  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/40711

Are there any boat clubs near you? Look on line. They are a very good starting point, information, ideas , free plans, and boats for sale.
Good look ,and happy sailing.
Ken.

May the wind always be always where you want it .
tiggy_cat
(Chief Petty Officer)

Forum Posts: 18
4th Apr 2018 13:36  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/40750

The Vic Smeed Starlet would be a reasonable place to start. The plans are available from Sarik and a part kit is available here http://www.belairkits.com/detail.asp?id=873. If you fancied something slightly smaller, Vic's Star Baby sails well and a wood kit is available from Sarik along with the plans.

Northumbrian
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 55
5th Apr 2018 10:33  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/40765

Hi
the RYTHMN a one metre chinned hull also plans for the Duckling & Gosling all easy builds if you want plans email
Kevin Branch
kevinbranch@btconnect.com

the Sparrow by Bryn Heveldt is a good build it can be built in 750mm or 1000mm you can download the book via the internet
lots to choose from good luck
Bob 👍

Attached Files - Click To View Large

Bob Johnson
SwordsmanDreamer
(Seaman)

Forum Posts: 2
7th Apr 2018 22:39  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/40861

Hello Haverlock Ken Mzee Tiggy_cat

Thank you for your replies and the information, it's all very interesting. It's funny how much the profile of the Plane Jane looks like a Flying Fifteen (think that was Uffa Fox).

Best regards

SD