Cookies used in this website are gluten free, wheat free and dairy free. By using this website you agree to our use of cookies. More Info
Login Below
Join Us On Social Media!

Get The Model Boats App!
Apple App Store
Android app on Google Play

Help Support This Website
£
or enter custom amount

(Non Contributor)

Help support this free
website and donate.

£285 a year is needed to keep the website and apps online. Please consider donating £5 or more to help towards these fees.
All donations are securely managed through PayPal. Amounts donated are not published online.

Many thanks for your kind support.

Model Boats Website Team

Donation History
July 2018: 5 people
June 2018: 8 people
May 2018: 7 people
April 2018: 24 people
March 2018: 13 people
February 2018: 8 people
January 2018: 25 people
December 2017: 7 people
November 2017: 3 people

Unique Visitors This Month

Website Members

Terms and Conditions
Privacy Policy
Advertising
Contact

Model Boats Website
Active Users (26)
Login or Register
To Remove This Ad

Login or Register
To Remove This Ad
>> Home > Forum > Boat Specific Chit Chat! > Clyde puffer
Clyde puffer
(516 views)
marky
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 244
16th Apr 2018 20:25  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/41152

After the bad day at blackrock the fingers are like sausages and finding fiddley stuff difficult the wife offered to make some bits, so she chose the winch to start with "it can't be much harder than cross stitch "measured up and disappeared over the next few days would go to the shed to use the "drillie thing and other sawing things" her words not mine I did see the bread knife head towards the shed, see resulting photos,i think I may have created a monster ,looks like its the crochet hook or knitting pins for me now.was well impressed she did admit to raking through boxes for some bits

marky
(Fleet Admiral!)

16th Apr 2018 20:31  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/41153

Hope the photos come through this time. Cheers Marky

Attached Files - Click To View Large

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 1797
16th Apr 2018 21:20  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/41157

Brill, congrats to 'The Management' 👍
Forget the crochet and knitting Mark, rug making is easier 😁😉
All the best to you both, Doug 😎

Young at heart - slightly older in other places 😉 cheers Doug
Grant me the Serenity to accept things I can't change,
the Courage to change things that I can, and
the Wisdom to know the difference!
marky
(Fleet Admiral!)

10th May 2018 21:01  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/41679

the puffer hull is slowly coming together now the daft questions I am going to use the tights and eze kote resin once I'm at that stage Q1.on the hull there are rubbing strips should these be fitted before or after the tights and resin? Q2 this is daft ,but is there a specific thickness of tights or is it just what's handy ?. Cheers Marky

marky
(Fleet Admiral!)

10th May 2018 21:11  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/41680

forgot the pictures ,still a bit to do and about 20lb of filler😁 and Doug's elbow grease alas no amber nectar due to the medication Cheers Marky

Attached Files - Click To View Large

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 1797
10th May 2018 23:30  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/41684

Eveni' Marky, Re Tights! What's handy will surely depend on the Missus or ..? 😉
Frankly I would dispense with the tights altogether (the Missus may of course have a different opinion😁), more trouble than they are worth and don't contribute much or anything to the construction if the basis was soundly built. It only costs you more resin to fill in the mesh of the tights.
If you must use tights then the higher the denier the better (at least 40 - 50) anything less will have a very open mesh and contribute virtually nothing to the hull strength, the Missus will explain denier to you
This seems to me to be a 'hangover' from 50s style construction when glass fibre was more expensive relatively speaking. I tried it back then with a scratch built Sopwith Camel fuselage and it was a total disaster.
Instead planking with 1/32 balsa and a thin resin coat worked a treat.
Nowadays, 30 years or more, I use glass fibre tissue instead; density and therefore strength imparted to the hull is more even cos it don't stretch like tights!
Whatever, have fun, and greetings to the Better Half (tights donator!)
Cheers Doug 😎
PS: if you feel you need tights😲 (or FG tissue) fit the rubbing strakes after this, and after sanding the tights / tissue to shape. Otherwise the strakes will just get in the way and be a nuisance to sanding and will get damaged / deformed.
PPS: shame about the amber nectar, my commiserations 🤔
My current tipple is more tawny port colour; a rather nice Lagavulin 😜

Young at heart - slightly older in other places 😉 cheers Doug
Grant me the Serenity to accept things I can't change,
the Courage to change things that I can, and
the Wisdom to know the difference!
marky
(Fleet Admiral!)

11th May 2018 09:58  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/41695

Thanks Doug ,still a lot to do before the resin stage may go for the glass tissue as i found they use it in the mould making workshop for reinforcement and theres always plenty offcuts .Cheers Marky