Cookies used in this website are gluten free, wheat free and dairy free. By using this website you agree to our use of cookies. More Info
Login Below
Join Us On Social Media!

Get The Model Boats App!
Apple App Store
Android app on Google Play

Help Support This Website
£
or enter custom amount

(Non Contributor)

Help support this free
website and donate.

£285 a year is needed to keep the website and apps online. Please consider donating £5 or more to help towards these fees.
All donations are securely managed through PayPal. Amounts donated are not published online.

Many thanks for your kind support.

Model Boats Website Team

Donation History
November 2018: 9 people
October 2018: 9 people
September 2018: 13 people
August 2018: 5 people
July 2018: 8 people
June 2018: 8 people
May 2018: 7 people
April 2018: 24 people
March 2018: 13 people
February 2018: 4 people

Unique Visitors This Month

Website Members

Terms and Conditions
Privacy Policy
Advertising
Contact

Model Boats Website
Active Users (59)
Login or Register
To Remove This Ad

Login or Register
To Remove This Ad
>> Home > Forum > Boat Specific Chit Chat! > Sails for Vanity
Sails for Vanity
(1129 views)
Westquay
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 795
13th May 2018 17:34  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/41730

Hi all, come summer, come the boats. Winter is for slot cars. I have been filling and sanding my Vanity model. Today it got its first coat of black enamel primer and apart from a few tiny blemishes will be fine, so I started thinking about sails. My wife can't get her machine to behave itself, so, bless her, said to buy a suit, but I can't find any guide to prices except a brief mention on Nylet's site about a medium Gaff set and that is 195 quid, which is not possible.
So, where do folks go for affordable sails for gaffers and other unconventional non "class" yachts, like Vanity? It's a big old rig.

Cheers,
Martin

kmbcsecretary
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 211
13th May 2018 20:26  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/41742

Hi Martin I have always used Frank Nylet some of his prices may seem on the high side but he is a professional sail maker. My last suite I had of him was for my Bristol pilot cutter which cost £320 but in my opinion worth every penny as they are made as the original full size sails .
The only other options are you could try PJ sails but little difference in price .
Ron

Former tug nut now switched to sail because of health
Westquay
(Fleet Admiral!)

15th May 2018 12:05  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/41779

Thanks, Ron, but that is WAY more than I could spend on a model of any kind. It looks like I'll just have make them myself, by hand if necessary, if my wife can't sort the tension out on her machine. I tried somebody called Wiles, but didn't get a reply. So I will have to do it myself. I'm not bothered about absolute correctness of bolt rope and stitching as you can't see it when it's on the pond and I don't sail with others anyway. There are no clubs round here.

Martin

Westquay
(Fleet Admiral!)

17th May 2018 00:26  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/41816

I've just heard (from another place), that Egyptian cotton sheets are available in Dunelm Mill, so I may well be having a trip to our local one. My wife is going to have a go at the dodgy tension on her machine and make them for me, though I will probably have to hand stitch the boltropes.

Cheers,
Martin

kmbcsecretary
(Fleet Admiral!)

17th May 2018 00:33  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/41817

Nice one Martin . After all if your happy with the finished sails that's all that matters mate.

ChrisG
(Sub-Lieutenant)

Forum Posts: 17
17th May 2018 17:37  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/41834

I like the Egyptian cotton idea and of course they can be dyed with all sorts of things to give a realistic O.G. look. I used tea on a model of a Bawley but changed to a red dye later.
You could probably make a suit of sails for every day of the week from a bottom sheet.
I think I will pinch your idea and make a new set of sails for this year.
Great idea.

Westquay
(Fleet Admiral!)

18th May 2018 11:02  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/41860

ChrisG, I can't claim originality for the idea of Egyptian cotton sheets. I wish I could, but it came from "another place". mind you, I was bomblin' round a boot fair yesterday and there were several nice sheets which would have made good sails if they hadn't been a pale pink! a quid for a double sheet, all laundered and looking just so seems like something to seek out in an off white as Vanity was a leisure craft.
A model of a Norfolk Wherry is next and that will need a sail as black as yer 'at. But my wife assures me you can get black cotton sheets now, so I'm sorted for that. Saves me getting the soot and fish oil out

Cheers,
Martin

Westquay
(Fleet Admiral!)

26th May 2018 16:46  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/42130

Well, the dear bride has just had me down at Dunelm buying net curtains and a pole and while I was there I found the Egyptian cotton sheets mentioned above. Frankly I thought the stuff a bit soft and fluffy, so didn't buy. It was also very expensive. I have, meantime, received samples of various fabrics at least two of which are suitable, but Cambric was the best by a long way. Actually waxed Cambric was the one. I shall be using that one when I've made patterns and worked out how much I need for the Vanity and the Marblehead. The Wherry will have to be done with whatever sheet fabric I can get in black as I don't have much luck dying stuff.
The Cambric comes from....B&R Textiles Ltd., Winton, nr. Bournemouth. Phone 01202 528388 and e-mail:- sales@bandrtextiles.co.uk.

Cheers,
Martin

kmbcsecretary
(Fleet Admiral!)

26th May 2018 21:18  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/42139

Just a thought Martin on the wherry sails , have you thought of using boot polish to colour the sail.
As you probably know that the original wherry sail started of white and it was only the waterproofing treatment they used that turned the sails black.
Ron

Westquay
(Fleet Admiral!)

26th May 2018 21:35  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/42141

I hadn't kmb, no. I would have thought that might rub off on your hands and clothes, especially in warm weather. The originals were painted with fish oil and soot! You might see them in natural off white while the fabric was stretched, then they'd get "dressed".
Black cotton sheets, waxed would probably do the trick, but since my Grandad used to polish his car with Kiwi boot polish, maybe you're on the button with that suggestion. I don't recall his old A50 ever becoming a black danger zone.
Worth a try I suppose. I think I have some somewhere. T'ain't long since I had some black leather shoes. BTW, PM'd you about the wherry article scans.

Martin