Cookies used in this website are gluten free, wheat free and dairy free. By using this website you agree to our use of cookies. More Info
Login Below
Join Us On Social Media!

Get The Model Boats App!
Apple App Store
Android app on Google Play

Help Support This Website
£
or enter custom amount

(Non Contributor)

Help support this free
website and donate.

£285 a year is needed to keep the website and apps online. Please consider donating £5 or more to help towards these fees.
All donations are securely managed through PayPal. Amounts donated are not published online.

Many thanks for your kind support.

Model Boats Website Team

Donation History
October 2018: 5 people
September 2018: 13 people
August 2018: 5 people
July 2018: 8 people
June 2018: 8 people
May 2018: 7 people
April 2018: 24 people
March 2018: 13 people
February 2018: 8 people
January 2018: 9 people

Unique Visitors This Month

Website Members

Terms and Conditions
Privacy Policy
Advertising
Contact

Model Boats Website
Active Users (23)
Login or Register
To Remove This Ad

Login or Register
To Remove This Ad
>> Home > Forum > Boat Specific Chit Chat! > Servo choice for yacht
Servo choice for yacht
(682 views)
Westquay
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 743
18th May 2018 21:03  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/41889

Me again. I am finding the choice of servos mind-numbingly huge. I feel I should have a new steering servo for Vanity. I have a lot of other servos kicking around and I can only assume they work on a modern Orange Rx, but I'm thinking even a tight wad like me can justify a new servo. I would like it to be a bit lower than the Futaba I currently have out as it has to operate below the bottom of the winch drum and take two Bowden cables to the rudder as the rudder shaft is steeply raked, so only cable operation will do.
Any suggestion welcome. I don't need speed or even especially accuracy, although reliability would be nice. 4.8volts too please.

Cheers, Martin

kmbcsecretary
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 211
18th May 2018 21:36  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/41890

Depending on how low a profile you need you could try this hitec ,not to bad a price and a good repeatable name , HiTec HS77BB Low Profile Servo.
I've not used this servo but have used a number of hitec servos over the years without any problems.

Former tug nut now switched to sail because of health
Westquay
(Fleet Admiral!)

18th May 2018 22:32  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/41891

Thanks, that looks very good and as far as I can see the only one of its type.
I shall look into it.

Cheers,
Martin

Westquay
(Fleet Admiral!)

21st May 2018 11:05  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/41943

Thanks again, secretaryman,
my dear bride has OK'd the purchase of same and from Kings Lynn models, who are but a toodle away and knock a few quid off the price too. Off to get it this afternoon.

Can't go wrong with Hitec, can you? Even I can twig that from all the posts. Servos seem to be either ludicrously small and cheap or bigger, fancier and outrageously expensive. But I suppose if you're chucking 20Ks worth of jet Vulcan around you need some grunt from the old actuators, n'est pas?

Cheers,
Martin

kmbcsecretary
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 211
21st May 2018 11:27  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/41945

Your very welcome Martin I just hope it does the job well for you
Ron

Former tug nut now switched to sail because of health
Westquay
(Fleet Admiral!)

22nd May 2018 09:36  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/41980

It's a neat little job and I've mounted it on some oak upstands. The guy in the shop seemed to think that a plastic snake would take the required curve to control the rudder, so I bought a bit of that too. We shall see. I have to make the rudder bar first from brass, which I am doing currently.

Cheers,
Martin