Cookies used in this website are gluten free, wheat free and dairy free. By using this website you agree to our use of cookies. More Info
Login Below
Join Us On Social Media!
Get The Model Boats App!
Apple App Store
Android app on Google Play

Help Support This Website
or enter custom amount

(Non Contributor)

Help support this free
website and donate.

£285 a year is needed to keep the website and apps online. Please consider donating £5 or more to help towards these fees.
All donations are securely managed through PayPal. Amounts donated are not published online.

Many thanks for your kind support.

Model Boats Website Team

Donation History
February 2019: 7 people
January 2019: 16 people
December 2018: 6 people
November 2018: 11 people
October 2018: 9 people
September 2018: 13 people
August 2018: 5 people
July 2018: 8 people
June 2018: 8 people
May 2018: 7 people
April 2018: 10 people

Unique Visitors This Month

Website Members

Terms and Conditions
Privacy Policy

Model Boats Website
Active Users (15)
Login or Register
To Remove This Ad

Login or Register
To Remove This Ad
>> Home > Forum > Boat Specific Chit Chat! > Painting
Author Message

Forum Posts: 13
12th Jun 2018 17:56  
>> Permalink

Hi, do you guys use airbrush or aerosol cans for painting? Thinking in terms of a “plastic” grp hull etc. Thank you in advance.

(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 797
12th Jun 2018 18:20  
>> Permalink

Most model boat hulls are way too big for an airbrush and in fact, even a spotting gun on a decent compressor can take a while with it's small spray pattern, but a rattler can ain't gonna last long on say a 30" hull.
I'd say brush paint with a decent enamel, like HMG.



Forum Posts: 13
12th Jun 2018 21:53  
>> Permalink

Thank You. Westquay.

(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 115
13th Jun 2018 07:39  
>> Permalink

A friend of mine (Cormorant on here) builds reasonably big models and he normally uses rattle cans from Halfords with good results. Have look at his posts as he has gone into paints here himself.


(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 211
13th Jun 2018 12:33  
>> Permalink

I use the Halfords rattle cans for painting hulls but make sure you use the ' for plastic ' cans so you don't get any paint cracking from the plastic flexing.

Former tug nut now switched to sail because of health
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 171
13th Jun 2018 15:35  
>> Permalink

I have always used rattle cans from Halfords and or The Range. Beware of mixing different types of paints i.e. cellulose, acrylic and enamel. I have had a disaster with mixing paints that took weeks to strip the hull back to sort out.