Cookies used in this website are gluten free, wheat free and dairy free. By using this website you agree to our use of cookies. More Info
Login Below
Join Us On Social Media!

Get The Model Boats App!
Apple App Store
Android app on Google Play

Help Support This Website
£
or enter custom amount

(Non Contributor)

Help support this free
website and donate.

£285 a year is needed to keep the website and apps online. Please consider donating £5 or more to help towards these fees.
All donations are securely managed through PayPal. Amounts donated are not published online.

Many thanks for your kind support.

Model Boats Website Team

Donation History
September 2018: 12 people
August 2018: 5 people
July 2018: 8 people
June 2018: 8 people
May 2018: 7 people
April 2018: 24 people
March 2018: 13 people
February 2018: 8 people
January 2018: 15 people

Unique Visitors This Month

Website Members

Terms and Conditions
Privacy Policy
Advertising
Contact

Model Boats Website
Active Users (14)
Login or Register
To Remove This Ad

Login or Register
To Remove This Ad
>> Home > Forum > Boat Specific Chit Chat! > Fire Boat (crash tender) colours...
Fire Boat (crash tender) colours...
(1164 views)
Westquay
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 682
14th Jun 2018 12:41  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/42715

Hi all, I have a drawing with some writing on it of the colours and materials used to paint the crash tenders (93 and 94), but the writing is partially unreadable. What I CAN see t that the cabin tops are given as grey as are the cabin sides.
This photo shows a lighter shade on the uprights than the horizontals. Can anyone shed any light on this anomaly?
Also there appears to be a change of finish at the edges of the cabin tops, like whatever is on them stops about an inch or so short of the very edge.

Cheers,
Martin

Attached Files - Click To View Large

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 2227
14th Jun 2018 14:21  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/42716

Hi Martin,
seems to be a scan / photocopy of a blueprint?
Maybe the attached negatives are easier to read
First is just chopped from your original and reversed,
Second one is slightly enlarged (50%).
A clue is that the cabin sides (Coamings?) are Cerrux Smooth Deck Paint and the the decks are Cerrux Non-slip Deck Paint? Would affect how they reflect. BS number for the colour seems to be the same in all cases, including undercoat. BS 631 or 681 ??
Doug
The incident angle of the light could also have an effect.
BTW: there are half-round trim mouldings around the cabin roof, which are giving you the effect you describe above.
Of course it could also be that at some later time the cabins sides where simply painted white 😉

Young at heart - slightly older in other places 😉 Cheers Doug
Grant me the Serenity to accept things I can't change,
the Courage to change things that I can, and
the Wisdom to know the difference!
RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

14th Jun 2018 14:37  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/42717

Depends a lot on the lighting / weather conditions but they seem to have been a variety of shades at different times! 😲

Westquay
(Fleet Admiral!)

14th Jun 2018 16:25  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/42718

Doug,
interesting technique, turning them negative, but it does show that the cabin tops are marked as grey as well as the decks and coaming (cabin sides?). As you say, smooth versus non slip will look different in raking light. I had wondered that, but the lightness of shade goes right round the angles of the fore cabin. That's actually the effect that made me ask. Considering these particular boats were only ever two in number and never really in service for long, despite their popularity as models, so I don't reckon they had a repaint as they weren't around that long. It's just that the drawing you negativised says grey for all the surfaces, yet everybody makes the cabin tops white. I'm wondering whether to make the cabin sides a noticeably lighter shade of grey than the decks and cabin tops.
Problem now is how do we represent non-slip on a model? Sifted Chinchilla sand into slow-drying wet paint, then spray with the correct colour?
Glad to see you confirming what I thought about the half round edging to the tops, Doug. I can imagine that being a standard kind of process.
Now, we need details of the derrick and its winch. Apparently it was portable. I bet that was a lump to lug about in a rolling seaway!

Cheers,
Martin

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

14th Jun 2018 22:37  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/42731

Evenin' Martin, just a quick thought before I hit the hay!
For the non slip deck paint why don't you cover the deck with a suitable wet and dry paper? 😉 With a bit of luck you might even find some wet n dry the right shade of grey!!
Don't know the size / scale you are building but maybe around 120 / 240 would do! Cut to fit, glue it down with a spray glue, I found some in the 'Creative Corner' of a garden centre near me. Also a good source of fine gauge steel, brass, copper, gold and silver wire and nylon thread, and anchor chains😉😊
Then seal with a spray-on flat sealer or varnish, then spray a satin colour you want. Humbrol H129 might be a good substitute for 'Cerrux Deck Grey'. See Model Boat Mayhem for references to Cerrux Grey 😉
I agree the cabin sides are a much lighter shade of grey, almost white.

Just ripped all the innards and deck fittings off my PTB. Just got the bare hull and shaft tubes left. Just havin' a wee dram then up the 'apples and pears to Bedfordshire' before I get tempted to sand and paint through the night. It happens sometimes 😲
G'night all, cheers Doug 😎 ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Westquay
(Fleet Admiral!)

15th Jun 2018 10:12  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/42740

Hi Doug,
I had indeed considered wet'n'dry, but as ever with using that stuff, you have joints which are difficult to disguise. Difficult one to decide on. And then there's the argument that at scale distances would you even see that it was a non-slip paint? I suppose you could make a point of the seams, like they were supposed to be there. I might try that, see what it looks like. I'll do a trial piece on some spare ply.
I'm very interested to see you agreeing about the absence of white cabin tops, but very light sides. I may just do that.
Still got to coax the model out of my son's loft yet. I left it with him when we had no space (living afloat). Trouble is he doesn't like ladders, so I will probably have to get over there myself and stand at the bottom of the loft ladder, coaxing his progress around his large loft!

Cheers,
Martin

Elsrickle
(Sub-Lieutenant)

Forum Posts: 23
15th Jun 2018 15:51  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/42754

Am very interested in the correct colours also purchased one for renovation it has no vent cowls or any fittings and am about to start it. As. I wish to have it as correct to the original as possible would appreciate any information on fittings and paint schemes, didn't think the white deck on white roof seemed correct. The model I have is about 3 foot long +/-

mturpin013
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 60
15th Jun 2018 18:44  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/42760

Doug, just picked up on your comment about half round trim around the cabin roof, do you have any pictures on the real thing or model I'm just at this stage now and would be nice to incorporate it

Westquay
(Fleet Admiral!)

15th Jun 2018 22:10  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/42768

Elsrickle, sound like you have the 34 1/2" Aerokits Crash Tender, as do I. There very few photos of them and even fewer that show good details. As to colours, Doug and I agree that the greys used seem on the best photos to show a very light cabin sides, but darker decks and tops which are non-slip.

mturpin013, I think the non slip paint stops short of the half round edging to the cabin tops. I would assume the half round is to stop water gathering at the edges and causing premature rot, although of course a bit of salt water is good for wood.

I would like to get some decent reference for the derrick which is apparently portable.

Most of all, I would like to get my damned RC gear to work or it's back in with 27 meg and to hell with the bind that is binding.

Cheers,
Martin

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

15th Jun 2018 22:10  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/42769

Evenin' MT, see pics of the real things Nos. 93 & 94, I posted above!😉
I note there is also such trim around the base of the cabins, like a sort of 'kick board' or just to cover the gaps 😁
Cheers Doug 😎

Westquay
(Fleet Admiral!)

15th Jun 2018 22:40  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/42770

Hi Doug, I spotted that section round the bottom, too. Interesting. I think it's meant to be a kind of sealing bead of square section, probably ramin or teak. Mahogany wouldn't last long in that position as it doesn't like constant exposure. But it will have to go on the model. The half round can just be filed into the edge of the tops.

Martin

Westquay
(Fleet Admiral!)

19th Jun 2018 17:10  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/42903

Finally, the lad has dragged it out of his loft. 54 years old and now will be finished. On it's way as we speak.

Really looking forward to doing a good job on the old girl, she deserves it.

Martin

Westquay
(Fleet Admiral!)

24th Jun 2018 18:51  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/43068

Should I do a "finishing" blog on the Crash Tender? Had a nice easy day on it today.

What should I do? I took some pictures.

Martin

Westquay
(Fleet Admiral!)

24th Jun 2018 22:00  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/43100

Finishing blog started, with pictures.

Martin

Westquay
(Fleet Admiral!)

27th Jun 2018 14:14  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/43228

I have just read somewhere that the main legs of the collapsible mast were made from propellor blades! Now that looks vaguely plausible as they are a flattish round edged section, but a) there's no twist. B) why on earth would they? They were a shipbuilder with no need to go filching scrap for a major component. Any ideas?

Cheers,
Martin