Cookies used in this website are gluten free, wheat free and dairy free. By using this website you agree to our use of cookies. More Info
Login Below
Join Us On Social Media!

Get The Model Boats App!
Apple App Store
Android app on Google Play

Help Support This Website
£
or enter custom amount

(Non Contributor)

Help support this free
website and donate.

£285 a year is needed to keep the website and apps online. Please consider donating £5 or more to help towards these fees.
All donations are securely managed through PayPal. Amounts donated are not published online.

Many thanks for your kind support.

Model Boats Website Team

Donation History
September 2018: 12 people
August 2018: 5 people
July 2018: 8 people
June 2018: 8 people
May 2018: 7 people
April 2018: 24 people
March 2018: 13 people
February 2018: 8 people
January 2018: 15 people

Unique Visitors This Month

Website Members

Terms and Conditions
Privacy Policy
Advertising
Contact

Model Boats Website
Active Users (25)
Login or Register
To Remove This Ad

Login or Register
To Remove This Ad
>> Home > Forum > Boat Specific Chit Chat! > Fibreglass hull/deck fit
Fibreglass hull/deck fit
(513 views)
Brianaro
(Sub-Lieutenant)

Forum Posts: 17
26th Jun 2018 16:23  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/43171

I’m have 1m long x 320mm beam fibreglass hull and s fibreglass deck 310mm at its widest. When dry fitted there is a gap about 8mm wide each side rearward of the bow. The deck measurements are symetrical side to side. Should I force the hull sides to fit as tight as possible or leave the gap and fill it or something in the middle? Any help would be appreciated, thank you.

Westquay
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 682
26th Jun 2018 16:38  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/43174

Have you tried pulling the sides of the hull in to fit? If so, does it do so happily? If not, but it fits well at the edges, shapewise then yes, cut it down the middle, join with a butt strap underneath for strength and carry on as if it were the original moulding.

That's what I'd do. Ain't nuffink can't be fixed!

Cheers,
Martin

Brianaro
(Sub-Lieutenant)

26th Jun 2018 16:59  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/43176

Thank you for that, I have pulled them with tape although it’s hard to get it to hold in position, it does then mostly fit leaving areas to fill

Westquay
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 682
26th Jun 2018 18:15  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/43178

Fits but leaves gaps suggest to me that it only really fits where it touches, as my Dad used to say. Which suggests a wavy deck edge. Not worth the hassle. If it'll fit once cut, cut it, back it up and fill. I would imagine you could bond in some 2mm styrene or plywood then fill over that with a car body filler, to smooth the joint. I am assuming the deck is meant to fit that hull? You never know!

Cheers, Martin

Brianaro
(Sub-Lieutenant)

26th Jun 2018 18:26  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/43180

That’s about right. Thank you I think that’s all I can do, it pulls up tight in places

Attached Files - Click To View Large

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 2224
26th Jun 2018 19:21  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/43182

IF that deck WAS intended for that hull I would have started by measuring the deck beam at several strategic points and glued (epoxy) cross beams, or even full or half bulkheads where necessary to keep the hull fall right, into the hull at corresponding positions.
Holding the lot together with wood cramps until good an' hard.
If you get the measurements and cutting right the deck should fit like a glove. That's what we do to get things to fit right in 'Plastic Magic' kit conversions.
That's also the method recommended by Deans Marine for the 1/96 53" HMS Manxman kit I bought from them. Download the build instructions from their site and you'll see exactly what I mean. Most (if not all) FG hulls will tend to sag outwards a bit after curing and release. My Fleetscale 1/72 destroyer hull was just the same.
Good luck whatever you try. I can't believe that it is necessary to cut a deck down the middle. 😲
It helps if you warm the hull in hot water (not boiling or too hot for the hands!😡) to make it more flexible and amenable 😉 while fitting the beams and bulkheads.
Good luck, post some pics of your progress 👍
BTW: What's the model of?? Cheers, Doug😎

Young at heart - slightly older in other places 😉 Cheers Doug
Grant me the Serenity to accept things I can't change,
the Courage to change things that I can, and
the Wisdom to know the difference!
Brianaro
(Sub-Lieutenant)

26th Jun 2018 19:30  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/43183

Thanks for that I’ll check out the instructions. The craft is a Moslem Slipway Tamar Lifeboat and the deck was supplied with the hull! Thanks again

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

26th Jun 2018 20:16  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/43187

Moslem !!?? 😲

Brianaro
(Sub-Lieutenant)

26th Jun 2018 20:20  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/43188

Model

Brianaro
(Sub-Lieutenant)

26th Jun 2018 20:26  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/43189

I hit the button to chant the keyboard to danish and spell check changed the word!

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

26th Jun 2018 20:45  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/43190

Know the feeling!
Living in Munich, with a German keyboard, I have to switch between English and German, BUT I switched off the automatic spelling correction so I can check what it's offering for alternatives 😉
I see you are in Eastbourne, do you sail in Princes Park?
Until recently my Mum (93) lived in Royal Parade just round the corner from the park. Sometimes if I drove over from Munich I would take my 1/72 H class destroyer with me and sail it in Princes Park.
Last time there was a guy there with a Trident sub with full diving system.
I played cat and mouse with him, trying to 'be there' when he surfaced, good fun😊 Cheers, Doug 😎

Brianaro
(Sub-Lieutenant)

26th Jun 2018 21:30  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/43193

I don’t currently have an operational boat so not at the moment. Back in the ‘60s I built a Sea Commander and used to sail that regularly at Princes Park. Eastbourne Model Power Boat Club use the lake but I haven’t seen them there for a long time, not sure when they sail, there are often EMYC events there though when I’ve been to the park, it’s a good lake.