Cookies used in this website are gluten free, wheat free and dairy free. By using this website you agree to our use of cookies. More Info
Login Below
Join Us On Social Media!

Get The Model Boats App!
Apple App Store
Android app on Google Play

Help Support This Website
£
or enter custom amount

(Non Contributor)

Help support this free
website and donate.

£285 a year is needed to keep the website and apps online. Please consider donating £5 or more to help towards these fees.
All donations are securely managed through PayPal. Amounts donated are not published online.

Many thanks for your kind support.

Model Boats Website Team

Donation History
December 2018: 4 people
November 2018: 11 people
October 2018: 9 people
September 2018: 13 people
August 2018: 5 people
July 2018: 8 people
June 2018: 8 people
May 2018: 7 people
April 2018: 24 people
March 2018: 11 people

Unique Visitors This Month

Website Members

Terms and Conditions
Privacy Policy
Advertising
Contact

Model Boats Website
Active Users (15)
Login or Register
To Remove This Ad

Login or Register
To Remove This Ad
>> Home > Forum > Boat Specific Chit Chat! > Norfolk Wherry Fans
Norfolk Wherry Fans
(1063 views)
CB90
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 29
18th Jul 2018 12:58  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/43840

Just a note for Norfolk Wherry fans that "Model Boats" Magazine (UK) will be featuring the boats in its September 2018 edition.

Attached Files - Click To View Large

Westquay
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 796
19th Jul 2018 08:24  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/43873

Thanks, will look out for it.
Martin

ChrisG
(Sub-Lieutenant)

Forum Posts: 22
19th Jul 2018 09:10  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/43874

Thank you for the info, I look forward to reading the article. I have recently spent a couple of weeks in Wherry land but was unable to see Albion as she seems always to be out on charter which must be a good thing for the fund. They are most interesting craft.
Chris

onetenor
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 461
19th Jul 2018 16:10  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/43889

They put me in mind of Dutch Sailing barges. One of which I have an 8 inch working model of👍. At least supposedly but I can't find a suitable sail cloth that's not too heavy. Any ideas fellas?👍

ChrisG
(Sub-Lieutenant)

Forum Posts: 22
19th Jul 2018 16:18  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/43891

What about a good quality linen handkerchief, dyed the correct colour of course.

onetenor
(Fleet Admiral!)

20th Jul 2018 00:40  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/43950

Still a bit on the heavy side. Fine silk "might" do but I might end up making loads of suits with Esaki tissue. There used to be a type of processed tissue with a slight gloss on it and a clothlike feel to it.Anyone know what it's called or where I can get it.The Barge is ten and a half inches long, not 8,with an open well deck. I could fit mini RC and a motor etc but it would be exposed. I could I expect cover it with a tarp as though it was carrying cargo. Some of you might suggest it's too small to bother with but it's like the peanut scale in the aircraft world. OR👍👍 A novelty TOY. Cheers all.

Westquay
(Fleet Admiral!)

20th Jul 2018 09:42  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/43955

Onetenor,
wherries never had open holds. They were always covered with interlocking hard hatch covers which were piled up at one end when the cargo was loaded.
The sails were huge, heavy, highly dressed things, so you really don't want anything too light. They were a heavy canvas dressed in fish oil and soot or were tarred, like the hulls. And really the boats were nothing like Dutch barges. They were much prettier!

Martin

Baggie
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 35
22nd Jul 2018 07:36  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/44019

Good to see The Albion in a beautiful setting at Eaton Park, Norwich. Here’s a couple of pictures of my Albion yesterday.

Westquay
(Fleet Admiral!)

22nd Jul 2018 10:25  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/44023

Banished to the opposite end, Baggy? That's a nice model. Is it a scratchbuilt hull or a GRP one?

Martin

onetenor
(Fleet Admiral!)

22nd Jul 2018 11:46  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/44028

Thanks for the heads up.I agree re the Wherry sails being heavy and their being "prettier" And yes they were enclosed. The Dutchies were much lighter with lighter sailcloth as they were on canals and didn't have to contend with the rigours of the sea.Also their journeys were short between pick up and drop off points. Much like a lot of our canal boats. Often carrying domestic supplies so their cargo needed to be "Get attable" frequently hence the tarpaulins instead of Hatch covers. With my barge being just ten inches and made of balsa a heavy cloth would capsize her. Their is little draught just side/draught/lee boards instead of a keel to keep them from being pushed side ways by the wind. I suppose I could just finish it as static but where's the fun in that? LOL Regards John O/T👍

Westquay
(Fleet Admiral!)

22nd Jul 2018 14:18  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/44036

If it's a Dutch barge, finish it as one. I reckon the large handkerchief idea would do, Or piece of shirting fabric. You can glue the edges to look like seams. Glue a piece of thin rigging cord in as a bolt rope.

Martin

Nerys
(Sub-Lieutenant)

Forum Posts: 15
23rd Jul 2018 21:16  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/44100

There seems to be some misconceptions about Dutch Barges. Most of what we now refer to as Dutch barges were originally developed as fishing boats suited to the area in which they were working. There were many different types and far from just being used on the canals fished all waters of the Netherlands and were quite capable of taking on the sharp nasty seas of places like Hollandsche Diep and the Ooste Schelde. I can assure you, even the Ijselmeer can get choppy under the right conditions. In fact Dutch Schuyts brought cargoes of eels to London from about the 1600s and a berth was still kept for them until the early 20th century, They were typical of what we would now call a Dutch barge. There were quite small ones like the Schouw and the Grundel that were inshore and lake fishers, then they varied in size through the Botters, Hoogars and Lemeraaks to the Tjalk and the Klipper which were cargo carriers. The Klippers were roughly the same size as Thames Barges and sometimes bigger and were rigged as Gaff Ketches, similar to our West Country Ketches. They were mainly fairly heavily built well in keeping with traditional wooden working boats. In latter days, steel replaced wood but they still followed the traditional designs. Luckily, so many Dutch Barges are still being built as yachts, decorated and fitted out very traditionally and there is considerable interest in the many events held for them every year.

When the winds before the rain, soon you may make sail again, but when the rain's before the wind, tops'l sheets and halyards mind
Westquay
(Fleet Admiral!)

24th Jul 2018 09:13  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/44116

Thanks for the detailed info, Nerys. Personally I still find them ugly and that won't have been helped by the unpleasant time I spent working in Holland, which I hated.

Martin

Nerys
(Sub-Lieutenant)

Forum Posts: 15
24th Jul 2018 14:30  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/44124

Each to their own, Westquay. I've nothing against wherries, ideally suited for the waters they worked. I'm a Thames Barge lover myself but can appreciate any traditional working craft.

When the winds before the rain, soon you may make sail again, but when the rain's before the wind, tops'l sheets and halyards mind
Westquay
(Fleet Admiral!)

24th Jul 2018 16:27  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/44129

I have often admired Thames Barges in Maldon and on the East coast rivers, but find their complexity off-putting, fine , majestic things though they are. But for me the simplicity of a Norfolk/Suffolk wherry is very attractive and there are few books so much worth curling up with on a rainy November day as Black Sailed Traders by Roy Clark. OK, I can think of several, but you know what I mean. I am a very fussy sod and if I don't like how it looks, I can't get near it. To my eye, most foreign stuff is so much uglier than British, be they trains, cars, bikes, aircraft or boats. But then where would we be without Canadian woodies?

Or the very occasional Italian car

Martin

Baggie
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 35
24th Jul 2018 23:09  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/44163

My Albion was scratch built by my friend - Brian. He also built the Chinese Junk some of you will have seen posted on this site before. A very talented and lovely man. Picture again postedfor you to see. Enjoy.

Westquay
(Fleet Admiral!)

24th Jul 2018 23:21  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/44165

Apparently a very effective rig.

Martin