Cookies used in this website are gluten free, wheat free and dairy free. By using this website you agree to our use of cookies. More Info
Login Below
Join Us On Social Media!

Get The Model Boats App!
Apple App Store
Android app on Google Play

Help Support This Website
£
or enter custom amount

(Non Contributor)

Help support this free
website and donate.

£285 a year is needed to keep the website and apps online. Please consider donating £5 or more to help towards these fees.
All donations are securely managed through PayPal. Amounts donated are not published online.

Many thanks for your kind support.

Model Boats Website Team

Donation History
November 2018: 7 people
October 2018: 9 people
September 2018: 13 people
August 2018: 5 people
July 2018: 8 people
June 2018: 8 people
May 2018: 7 people
April 2018: 24 people
March 2018: 13 people
February 2018: 6 people

Unique Visitors This Month

Website Members

Terms and Conditions
Privacy Policy
Advertising
Contact

Model Boats Website
Active Users (24)
Login or Register
To Remove This Ad

Login or Register
To Remove This Ad
>> Home > Forum > Boat Specific Chit Chat! > What is the optimum prop shaft angle?
What is the optimum prop shaft angle?
(548 views)
Ron
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 180
21st Aug 2018 01:12  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/45288

This is a Norstar Kingfisher design. I want to place the motor beneath the rear hatch where the batteries sat. The CG was far to forward and this is a heavy model so it never ran very well. the motors ran hot even with a water jacket.

I am moving the motor back, using a shortened prop shaft ,but what shaft angle will produce the optimum performance?

Ron

Attached Files - Click To View Large

Ron
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 180
21st Aug 2018 02:10  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/45290

12 degrees according to this PDF but I may need to go a bit less say between 8 & 10.

These photos give an idea of where I am going with these modifications. The prop shaft is too steep in this photo...

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 2401
21st Aug 2018 08:14  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/45294

Mornin' Ron,
If you put the motor where the batteries are now - where will the batteries go? They weigh far more than the motor so moving them forward will push the CoG even further forward😲
Re shaft angle; as flat as you can get it for the size of prop you want to use.
This is to reduce the forward rotation moment of the thrust which tends to push the bow down. The further back you fit the motor the larger the angle will inevitably become due to the space needed for the motor and mount!
BTW: Why two NiMh batteries?
I would be tempted to change the set up to a brushless and a single LiPo.
This will significantly reduce the total weight as well👍
You did say the boat is 'a heavy model'! 😉
Doug 😎

Young at heart - slightly older in other places 😉 Cheers Doug
Grant me the Serenity to accept things I can't change, - the Courage to change things that I can,
and the Wisdom to know the difference!
Kipper
(Lieutenant)

Forum Posts: 28
22nd Aug 2018 00:26  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/45320

You could reduce the angle by rotating the motor 180 & using gear or belt drive to the shaft, so the motor is sat over the shaft.

reilly4
(Admiral)

Forum Posts: 40
22nd Aug 2018 01:17  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/45321

Ideally the centre of the weight needs to be near the middle of the boat.
The original plan looked OK, maybe it required the batteries a little further back. The whole propulsion system did look a bit heavy for the boat.

boaty
(Admiral)

Forum Posts: 59
22nd Aug 2018 18:30  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/45342

The Nor Star Kingfisher is a heavy boat for its size and the positioning of the motor and prop shaft angle certainly matter.
I built one in 1972 powered by a DC Sabre marine diesel (1.5cc) and the engine was in the cockpit which made it heavy at the bow.
I was disappointed by its poor performance in relation to other boats of similar dimensions, in some cases these being powered by 1 cc diesels.
It never crossed my mind that I could have used "ballast" and the boat was sold on 7 months later at a greatly reduced price.
"Fools rush in where experts fear to tread."

Boaty😎

Dave Keech